Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LionYeti posted:

I just want someone to just be honest and say "Look, the CEO and a few other executives fuckin hate their wife and kids and thus we're all coming back to the office to also not totally waste the money we paid for this office no one likes."

Exactly. All the RTO reasons they give are such bullshit. I'd have way more respect if they came out and said "Look, we've got Billions of dollars of exposure to commercial real estate, and we're getting millions a year in tax breaks from the city and county. We have to have people in the office".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zoom's future seems to be bumping up prices to make up for more and more companies realising that they can probably get by with Teams as they look for anywhere to save some cash, and then folding into Cisco

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I was made to go to the office this week because we needed to be there to see someone who came from Europe or some poo poo and I think the guy wasn't even in the office the entire day, pretty cool honestly that they are trying desperately to justify offices

ended up calling people on Teams... from the office. thank god

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Zoom's future seems to be bumping up prices to make up for more and more companies realising that they can probably get by with Teams as they look for anywhere to save some cash, and then folding into Cisco

Thats why it was so smart for Slack to have sold to Salesforce while teams was mostly poo poo, as opposed to the only kinda poo poo it is now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm the dumbass who patched switches at 10pm on a Tue, hosed it up, had to go into the office to resolve and got home at 3am.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LionYeti posted:

I just want someone to just be honest and say "Look, the CEO and a few other executives fuckin hate their wife and kids and thus we're all coming back to the office to also not totally waste the money we paid for this office no one likes."

If people were actually honest at work then the C-Suite would have their heads mounted to pikes in the parking lot.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vargatron posted:

If people were actually honest at work then the C-Suite would have their heads mounted to pikes in the parking lot.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

Namaste

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Entire org is being forced to talk to management consultants because the new CEO is a dipshit and I wish my job was as fake and overpaid as those fucks

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

After 9 months of rejection after rejection in job hunting, I got my offer letter yesterday and signed today. I finally get to start working in SOC as an Analyst, starting salary of 69k, benefits, fully remote. My birthday is tomorrow I'm not sure I could have asked for better timing.

Thank you so much to the goons that helped me out, I will be forever grateful that y'all helped in getting my foot in the door, and I look forward to working with you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jiro posted:

After 9 months of rejection after rejection in job hunting, I got my offer letter yesterday and signed today. I finally get to start working in SOC as an Analyst, starting salary of 69k, benefits, fully remote. My birthday is tomorrow I'm not sure I could have asked for better timing.

Thank you so much to the goons that helped me out, I will be forever grateful that y'all helped in getting my foot in the door, and I look forward to working with you.

Congratulations! Getting your foot in the door is the hardest step.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tokin opposition posted:

Entire org is being forced to talk to management consultants because the new CEO is a dipshit and I wish my job was as fake and overpaid as those fucks

“So, uh. What would you say you do here?”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I unfuck gently caress ups.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jiro posted:

Ayo congrats :yotj:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

Reeks of golf course deal between your CEO and whoever he knows at the consulting company.

I’ve dealt with my share of them and not a single one was a net positive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LochNessMonster posted:

Reeks of golf course deal between your CEO and whoever he knows at the consulting company.

I’ve dealt with my share of them and not a single one was a net positive.

“So, tell me: what would you say you do here?”

E: f, b

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All consultants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8miwsWtzRw

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New coworker straight up said “nah I’m good with wfh” when management said there was a mandatory on site day this week.

Job was listed as 1 day per week on site and they already came to the office this week so that’s that.

Welcome to the new age. :lmao:

Millennials are going to give boomers heart attacks on a daily basis and I’m loving every second of it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jiro posted:

Congrats!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jiro posted:

starting salary of 69k

nicek

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

New coworker straight up said “nah I’m good with wfh” when management said there was a mandatory on site day this week.

Job was listed as 1 day per week on site and they already came to the office this week so that’s that.

Millennials are going to give boomers heart attacks on a daily basis and I’m loving every second of it.

I'm not going to go so far as to say those RTOing are scabs, but... it would be really nice if we were more organized as an industry.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

it's time to join the wobblies imo

webblies

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The only reason I RTO for the requested 2 days per week is to use the gym in the building. I show up after rush hour (around 09:30), talk to people, have coffee, have lunch, work out, then go home between 15:00-15:30 and boot my laptop back up from my couch. Would I still rather stay at home those two days? Unquestionably. At least it doesn't feel like I've completely wasted the day this way.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
We simply call that taking advantage of the job's benefits

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

:yotj:

After most of a year of unemployment, I finally landed something. Orientation is remote and then I get to drive onto a military base after orientation is done. Jobs pay rate is poo poo and I'm back doing helldesk, but they put me in for clearance and I figure I can hang around for a year or so until that completes, then either go for a promotion or try for something through clearancejobs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Justin Credible posted:

I am almost positive I squeaked by on a pass using this very thing when I took mine earlier this year.

I took the AWS Solutions Architect Professional test, a couple years ago. It was easily the hardest test I've ever taken, not because of the subject matter, but because of the sheer size of each question and answer. Just to read them all took the majority of the test time, not even attempting to answer them. I barely finished it in time, with a comical asterisk. A lot of the quests were flat out wrong, either due to typos, not having an answer that I believed was correct, or that were referring to obsolete data about AWS. Every question has a "comment on this question" option. and I comment on every single question that I had a problem with.

I passed with like a 95%. I'm certain that I did not get 95% right, I believe that if you complain about a question, something happens and they may not grade it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Awesome! I took that a couple years ago. Pro-tip, if you find a question you can't figure out the answer, make a note of the number and a couple keywords. A lot of questions overlap and the question for another one may give you the answer.

Is question 1) a customer wants to do X with an ELB which one is possible?

But then question 2) asks "when would you configure an ELB to do Y"

And then it's clear that the Y from 2 is exactly an answer in 1 and it closes the loop in your brain.

Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely seeing some overlap on the practice tests I'm taking too, along with the whole process of elimination thing. Most questions seem to have two right answers on first pass but the keywords and requirements tend to point you to a certain right answer.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I took the AWS Solutions Architect Professional test, a couple years ago. It was easily the hardest test I've ever taken, not because of the subject matter, but because of the sheer size of each question and answer. Just to read them all took the majority of the test time, not even attempting to answer them. I barely finished it in time, with a comical asterisk. A lot of the quests were flat out wrong, either due to typos, not having an answer that I believed was correct, or that were referring to obsolete data about AWS. Every question has a "comment on this question" option. and I comment on every single question that I had a problem with.

I passed with like a 95%. I'm certain that I did not get 95% right, I believe that if you complain about a question, something happens and they may not grade it.

I took the test last year and I can’t recall there being the option of giving feedback on the questions.

Fully agree on it being drat hard just because the amount and depth of questions.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Everything's cool when the CTO quits with no notice, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Normally the sign that things are cool and good, yeah

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Everything's cool when the CTO quits with no notice, right?

Pfft come back when you've seen the entire C-Suite turnover twice in the span of 2 years. I knew 3 CEO, CFO, and CTOs at my last job

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh that's happened elsewhere. I just liked this job better than most.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

LochNessMonster posted:

That's how they're helping to make room at the top!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Oh that's happened elsewhere. I just liked this job better than most.

I mean it depends how much the CTO was involved and whether he was a force for good or not. Just a single member of the C-suite rotating out may not particularly matter.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I mean it depends how much the CTO was involved and whether he was a force for good or not. Just a single member of the C-suite rotating out may not particularly matter.
He was heavily involved though he let me run IT without interference. Literally no one had a harsh word to say about him. Everyone said he was the best they'd ever worked with and uncompromisingly ethical.

My guess is he was asked to do something against his morals.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

He was heavily involved though he let me run IT without interference. Literally no one had a harsh word to say about him. Everyone said he was the best they'd ever worked with and uncompromisingly ethical.

Welp. Condolences then.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Wowza, haha. I know that they say a portion of the questions aren't weighted at all, but I don't recall seeing the option to comment on something on the one I took. I hope they're a little better done when I (hopefully) go for the pro in a couple years, if I can get my company to let me transition from support desk for SaaS stuff into their backend which is all on AWS.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

teethgrinder posted:

Good on him if that’s the case and sucks for you. See if you can follow him if the money’s right, quality leaders are rare as poo poo.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

I would compile your CYA Stash, if you have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

George H.W. oval office posted:

Pfft come back when you've seen the entire C-Suite turnover twice in the span of 2 years. I knew 3 CEO, CFO, and CTOs at my last job

Worked at a hospital that did a merger with both being “co-ceos” and once the merger was finished they both golden parachuted out the door at the same time so technically three CEOs in the span of a few days…

This was also mid 2019 so I’m sure they both had a big grin on their face soon after.