Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I decided to listen to some Berserk music that I haven't heard in a long time, got to Sign-2, and I am just wondering what that instrument playing throughout the song is. It kinda sounded like a rubber band.

Hmmmm maybe its a specific version of Sign 2, but I'm listening on youtube and I'm not hearing any rubber band instrument.

Choir, Bells, Strings, Horns, ...

Oh wait, now that I'm listening to Sign 3 there's something that sounds VERY rubber bandy. That's almost assuredly what you meant.

It doesn't sound like a natural instrument at all. Its being processed by effects. At that point the origin sound could be anything from a voice to a horn.

It almost sounds like a keyboard with a talkbox.... but its probably just a computer with a vocoder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I can't believe anybody would want an adaptation of Berserk without the seminal Guts line" DON'T BE POPPING A BONER ON MY HEAAAAAAAAAD"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Happy Monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqHT9Iyyg8

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

thank u

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

For those curious, someone has been steadily uploading videos comparing the bluray release and the tv broadcast side by side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re7NYqNxENM

Of particular note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTkJh0HZYcE&t=76s

They actually fixed the framing of the Brand reveal from the tower so you can actually see what the gently caress is about to happen

There are a bunch of other comparisons in that channel as well - some alterations to framing, more 2D animation, better lighting effects in some instances. Doesn't solve the fundamental problems of it being a poorly made series, but still

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rikiya Koyama is so good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Rikiya Koyama is so good

I had to look him up because I don't know poo poo about Japanese voice actors but yeah, he made a great Mozgus (and haha I had no idea he was Takamura from Hajime no Ippo either, that's cool)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good soup! posted:

For those curious, someone has been steadily uploading videos comparing the bluray release and the tv broadcast side by side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re7NYqNxENM

Of particular note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTkJh0HZYcE&t=76s

They actually fixed the framing of the Brand reveal from the tower so you can actually see what the gently caress is about to happen

There are a bunch of other comparisons in that channel as well - some alterations to framing, more 2D animation, better lighting effects in some instances. Doesn't solve the fundamental problems of it being a poorly made series, but still

Wish I could have watched the blu-ray versions. Parts of the series are still impressive to me. Fire effects in a CGTV series are hard to pull off. Same with water and cloth. Most studios don't have the expertise for it. But the direction is still crap.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If it were an option on the table for HBO to adapt Berserk, let em. It's not like Japan is any good at doing it, let someone else take a crack.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't want to see HBO butcher Berserk in the same way they have ASOIAF. No thanksye

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

show has improved on fat man books as often as it's fumbled them

different thread tho

e: that aside Berserk would be way easier than ASOIAF to do because there's a LOT less poo poo to actually cover, although it maintains the problem of "fat guy won't finish drat series"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Without Game of Thrones my local hockey team would not have bizarre scenes to edit to include Dallas Stars logos and hockey pucks.

I say bring on the HBO Berserk, so that one day I can see a hockey stick crudely photoshopped over a demon phallus.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rodyle posted:

although it maintains the problem of "fat guy won't finish drat series"

I'd put money on Miura being underweight rather than over personally.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean jokes aside I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him besides that one that looks like a Last Known Image from Unsolved Mysteries or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe he can only draw Berserk when he flickers back into existence

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think he's a no photos guy like Masamune Shirow, there was an interview with him on the 98 anime DVD's with just a 'Sound Only' covering the screen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I kind of don't want to imagine Miura as a work obsessed shut-in, as I really hope the dude actually gets out some and has people to talk to instead of just the one light in his life left, idol master.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think there's any worry about him being work obsessed :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rodyle posted:

I mean jokes aside I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him besides that one that looks like a Last Known Image from Unsolved Mysteries or something.

Its a big deal that there's like zero footage of him working or in his studio. Almost all other mangakas there's tons of video of them chilling around talking about their art and how they do their process, Miura is a pretty secretive dude.

Sakurazuka posted:

I think he's a no photos guy like Masamune Shirow, there was an interview with him on the 98 anime DVD's with just a 'Sound Only' covering the screen.

Yeah absolutely

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I kind of don't want to imagine Miura as a work obsessed shut-in, as I really hope the dude actually gets out some and has people to talk to instead of just the one light in his life left, idol master.

tbh I'd wager the consistently high quality in art and writing along with the long hiatuses means he isn't work obsessed and probably spends a lot of time doing other things so he doesn't burn out, he might just not be big on the spotlight and spends time just chilling and (hopefully) thinking up new ways to brutally murder griffith

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I don't think there's any worry about him being work obsessed :v:

I could see anyone trying to angle some of his more important splash pages just right for months. Like maybe not writing it down, but sitting a desk for hours if not days getting the tinest pen to ink in several thousand fantasy creatures and squirrels into a forest top-down shot of the cast.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Idol Master is in vr now, the dream is dead bois

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I took a break for a while because of all The Sad Times™ and i didn't want to burn out! Going to start the Millenium Falcon Arc now!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Idol Master is in vr now, the dream is dead bois

An Eclipse VR experience would be pretty great

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

EmmyOk posted:

I took a break for a while because of all The Sad Times™ and i didn't want to burn out! Going to start the Millenium Falcon Arc now!

Looking forward to the updates! The Eclipse is enough to make anyone take a break.

Maybe he can only draw Berserk when he flickers back into existence

It's this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm still a little baffled that Berserk Musou managed to make Wyald a fun, endearing character who fills an important, distinctive role in both the roster of Apostles and of playable characters. Seriously, I re-read the Black Dog chapters, and the distance is vast.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just read japan, and its probably best that it was canned (the ending makes it really obvious). it's at times a pretty nationalistic and xenophobic work (and you can't put that all on bronson), though this is a bit inconsistent. really well drawn though!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm still a little baffled that Berserk Musou managed to make Wyald a fun, endearing character who fills an important, distinctive role in both the roster of Apostles and of playable characters. Seriously, I re-read the Black Dog chapters, and the distance is vast.

Could you elaborate for people who haven't played it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Could you elaborate for people who haven't played it?

In the manga, Wyald is a fairly serious villain. He has his quirks, but they're mainly to deepen his evil - not only is he a terrifying killing machine with an insatiable lust for rapemurder, but he's also treating the whole thing as a silly little game. He's also pretty generic for an Apostle - a remorseless, sadistic, backstory-free powerhouse with little separating him from the Baron of Koka Castle other than even worse impulse control and a preference for rape over cannibalism. His narrative role is to keep up the grim tone of the story leading up to the Eclipse and show that there's zero moral distance between the Midland and Tudor Empire aristocracies (the latter of whom presumably hired Zodd).

Licensed Musou spin-offs generally have a limited roster to start off with, and so Omega Force needed a second Apostle to show off their 'turn into a giant monster' mechanic who would be clearly different in feel and playstyle to Zodd. Since the story ends at Guts and his buddies' departure from Vritannis after repelling Ganishka, that meant that most of the New Band of the Hawk wouldn't have enough time to strut their stuff, and would show up a bit late in the story for a game that tries to introduce new characters at a relatively steady pace. Given the game's focus on the Golden Age arc, then, Wyald was the obvious answer. The problem was how to make him distinct in playstyle and general feel. 'Zodd but a rapist' wasn't an option both because of the game's rating, which required it to excise or heavily downplay most of the manga's sexual content, and because of basic good taste, so Omega Force decided to revisit a popular decision they'd made in a previous ultraviolent Musou series - Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

Jagi is one of the most famously vile characters in Fist of the North Star, a sadistic, cowardly slaver and child-killer with an apocalyptic grudge against the protagonist, Kenshiro. Omega Force wanted a bit of levity in their grimdark muscleman punchfest, so they emphasised the 'swaggering, foul-mouthed idiot' part of his personality, downplayed some of his more evil deeds, and made his sidestory a goofy road-trip where he and the similarly vile Amiba end up turning the people whose lives they want to ruin into folk heroes. Fans loved the hell out of it, which was why when Ken's Rage 2 rolled around and he returned to his more serious, manga-accurate characterisation, Omega Force included a DLC mission where you got to revisit Jagi and Amiba's Excellent Adventure.

Wyald is already a kind of silly character in the manga, even if Miura doesn't really play it up. He's got a face like Donkey from Shrek, his Apostle form is bizarre, and he's hammy and theatrical even by Apostle standards. Omega Force built on that, giving him an incongruously high-pitched voice, littering his combat dialogue with silly one-liners, toning down his misogyny hard (the only remainder is his tendency to be creepily polite and flirtatious with female characters), and generally turning him from an animalistic lust-monster into a childish, egotistical goofball.

Game-wise, this means that he does indeed play quite differently from his fellow Apostle. Zodd fights like a professional - fast, efficient, and devastating, overwhelming the enemy with one mighty blow after another. Wyald, on the other hand, is an amateurish clown - his attacks are even more powerful, but look utterly ridiculous, and he's slow as hell because he keeps goofing off between hits. In his human form, he knocks away enemies like baseballs with his club and then cranes his neck to see where they went. He clears out crowds of enemies by curling up into a ball and rolling through them like Sonic the Hedgehog. In his Apostle form, his projectile attack involves crunching up a boulder with his chest-mouth and then spitting out a volley of gravel. He finishes a combo of punches by crushing the enemy between his hands, and then wiggles his fingers in pain. He flops on his belly, slides through the enemy ranks, and then does a little fist-pump of joy. All the while, he's calling out his attacks in that daft, squeaky little voice of his.

I really like it as a change. From a game perspective, it's always a delight to play as a character who's having as much fun as you are, and you will have fun with Wyald - his attacks look and feel great, and are powerful as all hell. He also introduces a necessary dose of Berserk's rich vein of black comedy to what is otherwise a fairly strait-laced roster, and his running commentary as you play is weirdly charming. From a character perspective, it's the replacement of a gross, unpleasant trait with a fun, endearing one, which is seldom bad, and it makes Wyald much more unique. There are scary Apostles, there are pathetic Apostles, and there are cool Apostles, but funny Apostles are in short supply unless you count Mozgus as an honorary member. Also, like Mozgus, the funny doesn't undermine the scary. Wyald in the game is a huge, hideous-looking, horrifyingly efficient killing machine with the attitude of a caffeined-up five-year-old. Every one of his silly little attacks liquefies dozens of people at once. A version of the Black Dogs arc with Game-Wyald would add a bit of levity between the rescue of Griffith and the Eclipse, but it wouldn't break either the tone or the rising sense of foreboding.

TL;DR: Omega Force had a better idea for a character's base concept than Miura, and it could have been kind of cool if he'd built Wyald around that to start with. Also, he's got a really great character design (in both forms), and I like seeing that associated with something positive.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 6, 2017

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Idk that scene where the Black Dogs are riding into battle with the severed appendages of the villagers they just did horrible things to is one of the most horrifying panels in manga, I wouldn't change it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah I just unlocked Wyald and he's such a joy to play. He's the only one in the roster that is just goofy as gently caress and it fits right in to a musou like this.

Blew my mind when they announced he was in it but after playing as him he's only similar to wyald manga in name and appearance only. Omega Force gave him an actual less lovely characterization and added in a personality while still making him a hideous monster.

He barely has a line in the actual campaign but his quotes and fighting animations are golden.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I ended up reading a lot of Pluto instead of BERSERK by mistake! I've today off because it's a bank holiday so it's time to start the Millennium Empire. I started reading again a few chapters before where I took my break, where Griffith meets Guts at the blacksmith's house. Just to make sure my memories of what lead up to this are correct.

Humpty Dumpty behelit wished for the world to change and this is basically what powered Griffith being reborn in the human world but still with all his demonic power. So now we have a member of the Godhand in our dimension for perhaps the first time ever. However before the rebirth the Humpty had consumed the demon foetus that was Guts and Casca's child. That foetus was also connected to Griffith because of when Femto raped Casca. The foetus became part of Griffith's rebirth vessel so it appears he still has some emotion or humanity as opposed to what he calls "totally frozen blood".

e: "We return to our mission of hunting the hawk"

That was quick lmao

e2: I don't think this is a very positive attitude based on past experience :saddowns:

I like this guy a lot though and hope he helps Guts beat up Griffith's new super knights.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 7, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope this thought transferance spell of Little Witch's backfires when they all have to experience Guts' homicidal rage.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
"Wow yeah we really need to kill Griffith"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

EmmyOk posted:

e2: I don't think this is a very positive attitude based on past experience :saddowns:

Oh poo poo, I never made the connection between Griffith's attitude towards Guts and Farnese's attitude towards Serpico. That's awesome.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I hope this thought transferance spell of Little Witch's backfires when they all have to experience Guts' homicidal rage.

Her name is Schierke and she is a perfect baby who you will respect :colbert:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Rodyle posted:

Her name is Schierke and she is a perfect baby who you will respect :colbert:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just read this scene today, what on Earth is the anime doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

EmmyOk posted:

I just read this scene today, what on Earth is the anime doing?

I couldn't say, but the new anime is overwhelmingly bad. I guess it's what happens when low budget production meets poor directing/producing. Schierke, her voice actor, and and a handful of other scenes are its only redeeming qualities.

So we're all glad you're reading the manga and enjoying it.