Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Because of switching leagues any everything, I have like 3 weeks off from playing. Its crazy. I haven't had this long a stretch off in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Won 6-2 tonight, but the game was a lot closer than that. The other team tied the game at 2 with 5 minutes left and then we scored 4 quick goals to put the game out of reach. Played really well all game and stood on my head in the 2nd period to keep them scoreless.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
How do you guys wear your goalie pants? I got some new ones I ordered in and my waist size was right on the edge of two of them (with my waist being a 36). I went with the medium size instead of the large because I know my legs are shorter than most and I saw that the mediums had a shorter inseam length.

However after trying them on last night they felt pretty tight mostly around my cup even if I loosened up the lacing in front.

Nonetheless sitting in my living room I put on all of my gear with my cup and socks to get a real feel for everything. While it was hard to bend over to tie my toe-ties tight after getting everything on and hooking up my C/A I felt like I could move my legs pretty easily and could get down into the butterfly pretty easy, things still felt tight in my junk though.

I haven't worn a pair of goalie pants in so long I'm not sure if it's just because of how my cup is with the pants or if I should get a larger pair.

edit: gently caress it, ordered a larger pair and I'll return whichever one I don't like.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 10, 2014

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

How do you guys wear your goalie pants? I got some new ones I ordered in and my waist size was right on the edge of two of them (with my waist being a 36). I went with the medium size instead of the large because I know my legs are shorter than most and I saw that the mediums had a shorter inseam length.

However after trying them on last night they felt pretty tight mostly around my cup even if I loosened up the lacing in front.

Nonetheless sitting in my living room I put on all of my gear with my cup and socks to get a real feel for everything. While it was hard to bend over to tie my toe-ties tight after getting everything on and hooking up my C/A I felt like I could move my legs pretty easily and could get down into the butterfly pretty easy, things still felt tight in my junk though.

I haven't worn a pair of goalie pants in so long I'm not sure if it's just because of how my cup is with the pants or if I should get a larger pair.

edit: gently caress it, ordered a larger pair and I'll return whichever one I don't like.

I wear my pants pretty loose and held up with suspenders. Going with a larger size is probably a better bet.
Speaking of pants, as I'm really beginning to like my Warrior C/A, knee pads, and jock, I'm now looking at their pants. I know some people here didn't like them but I'm curious as to your thoughts on them (aside from having to tuck).

Oh, I have also installed Step Steel and it makes a noticeable difference. It did take a good period to get used to being a bit taller, but I can get a much wider/lower stance now and don't have to kick my leg up as far for that push.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Any advice on fitting and choosing sizes of C/A protectors? Namely the Bauer Performance and the Warrior Ritual Sr.

I was leaning towards getting the Warrior Ritual Sr, According to this I'm a large, 34" waist and 42" chest. This chart however suggests that at 5'10"ish I could go either way.

The Bauer sizings are also right on the edge between large and medium.

In a somewhat related topic, what make good overshirts? I've seen a lot of complaints online about 'goalie cut' sizes being unable to fit over large sized C/As.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Spookydonut posted:

Any advice on fitting and choosing sizes of C/A protectors? Namely the Bauer Performance and the Warrior Ritual Sr.

I was leaning towards getting the Warrior Ritual Sr, According to this I'm a large, 34" waist and 42" chest. This chart however suggests that at 5'10"ish I could go either way.

In a somewhat related topic, what make good overshirts? I've seen a lot of complaints online about 'goalie cut' sizes being unable to fit over large sized C/As.

I can't imagine a goalie cut not fitting over anything. I find them to be larger than anything. I wear an XL Vaughn Vision and a goalie cut would fit easily, though, for some reason, the arms on goal cuts are usually pretty short, but wide.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

nahanahs posted:

I can't imagine a goalie cut not fitting over anything. I find them to be larger than anything. I wear an XL Vaughn Vision and a goalie cut would fit easily, though, for some reason, the arms on goal cuts are usually pretty short, but wide.
This is true of almost every goalie cut.

Our new goalie on our work team is a guy who grew up wearing a player cut jersey and has his entire life and he just got a goalie cut jersey for our team. He instantly hated it and didn't like that the arms were so open and loose. So he used tape to try to tape the sleeve shut. :psyduck:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I hated goalie cut moomoos until I made my first armpit save with the wizard sleeve.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This morning was my worst game in as long as I can remember. It just seemed like everything was going in. lovely pickup with no D, but I wasn't doing anybody any favours. I think I let in like 6 of the first 10 shots. It was uuuugly. Ended up finishing around 11-5. Bleh. Nothing is worse than crappy 6:30 hockey in the middle of winter.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Spookydonut posted:

Yes. Go try them on.

I don't think anybody will be able to look at your measurements or height or whatever and recommend a size for you any better than that chart would. Basically, anything short of trying it on yourself is going to be a gamble.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

coldwind posted:

Yes. Go try them on.

I don't think anybody will be able to look at your measurements or height or whatever and recommend a size for you any better than that chart would. Basically, anything short of trying it on yourself is going to be a gamble.

Sadly I don't have that luxury living in Australia. :smith:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Spookydonut posted:

I'm wearing the Warrior Ritual Sr. right now and I got a medium. I'm 5'9" and always found that C/A arms were longer than I liked. The size chart you linked from Warrior's website I think is more for t-shirts and such.

A goalie cut jersey will easily fit over any C/A, even the largest ones. The only people I've seen wearing goalie jerseys and still having it be tight are the goalies who are very overweight.

So after a long break, I've somehow come back without skipping a beat with a few low-scoring wins and then on Sunday I had two games; one in 4v4 on a 2/3 sheet that ended with a shootout loss and one in 5v5 on a full sheet that ended with a shutout shootout loss against the #1 team that is running away with the league this season. I wish I could pinpoint exactly what I'm doing differently, but all I can tell is something clicked this summer.

I also finally got around to editing and uploading the latest GoPro footage. This is from my mixed league team at the place with 4v4. It's two-25 minute halves with the only stoppages being pucks out of play or a penalty shot (which all penalties result in a penalty shot). This footage is from the second half so I can see myself getting tired and slightly lazy in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOw9mzf67I

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
The perfect CA is hard to find, lots of preference and wear style come into play when you're choosing one. How long do you like the arms? Do you like to tuck? Do you wear a neckguard or do you rely on the CA's neck protection etc. Certain brands do a lot of different things when it comes to those choices.

I just picked up a CCM glove the other day for no reason other than to match my new Warrior gear's Red/White pattern and they didnt have detroit colors for the Gnetik. Really not sure if I'm going to like this thing because it makes me hold my hand very differently. I'm going to give it a good long shot but as a heads up if you dont like the idea of holding your fingers pointed up the stock CCM FlexPro isnt for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVk6EvnEEo

There I am using it, not much glove action besides a shot I didnt react to fast enough.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I really liked the CCM trapper when I tried it and probably would have gone with it, if I hadn't already ordered an LT90 at the time. Very comfortable glove and it felt natural catching pucks with it.

I'm getting closer to ordering new pads. I figure at this point, I'll wait until March or April to get a look at the XLT and whatever Bauer's pad is. I like the Sub-Zero II's a lot, but that price is a bit a hard to swallow and I think that a double break pad is probably a better fit for me. Curious to hear what you think of the Warrior pads, they seem very intriguing.

Edit: The V6s are coming out soon as well, though I don't know much about them at this stage.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 16, 2014

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Bradf0rd posted:

The only people I've seen wearing goalie jerseys and still having it be tight are the goalies who are very overweight.

A forward on one of my teams wears the goalie jersey without shoulder pads and it's as tight as underarmor. It's a sight to behold.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

nahanahs posted:

A forward on one of my teams wears the goalie jersey without shoulder pads and it's as tight as underarmor. It's a sight to behold.

:stare: How large is this man?

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Bradf0rd posted:

:stare: How large is this man?

[que creepy 50's sci-fi music]

Policeman#2: That's no man. That's...

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

nahanahs posted:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Oh Bradf0rd, I subbed for your mixed league game.

I hosed it up.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Oh Bradf0rd, I subbed for your mixed league game.

I hosed it up.

Thanks? If they didn't score goals then you didn't really do much that wrong.
Also, I subbed for A/B at The Pond (4v4, 2/3 sheet) and lost 13-9. That was the most tiring game I've ever played.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

titanium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVk6EvnEEo

There I am using it, not much glove action besides a shot I didnt react to fast enough.

The goalie at the other end sure made up for his technical shortcomings with that ridiculous glove hand holy poo poo lol.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Any opinions on Hockey Tron? A set of pads for $400 with a coupon and free shipping. Except for international shipping which only uses fedex and costs $440 for just that set of pads. Urgh.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zip! posted:

The goalie at the other end sure made up for his technical shortcomings with that ridiculous glove hand holy poo poo lol.

His technical shortcomings are from him learning/playing oldschool style his entire life, he's 42. Looks a bit weird in the newer pads but thats what he knows. This is a goalie that was a 5th round draft to the Kings, he said he once made Gretzky swear and throw his stick in training camp which was the highlight of his hockey life.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

titanium posted:

His technical shortcomings are from him learning/playing oldschool style his entire life, he's 42.

That explains that combination save you did a slowdown for. I was both surprised and stoked someone else uses that tool from the old warchest.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I started an 8 week (once a week) hockey school at UofM Dearborn that's meant for any skill level, but I got essentially an hour of one-on-one with one of the team's goalies last night. He had me doing skating drills, then your basic t-push to 3 and 5 points, then slide drills from the top to each post and making a box.

My main takeaway from the whole thing I'm not at all in shape. My thighs were on FIRE.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

I started an 8 week (once a week) hockey school at UofM Dearborn that's meant for any skill level, but I got essentially an hour of one-on-one with one of the team's goalies last night. He had me doing skating drills, then your basic t-push to 3 and 5 points, then slide drills from the top to each post and making a box.

My main takeaway from the whole thing I'm not at all in shape. My thighs were on FIRE.

Skating drills like that are physically demanding. I honestly need to work with another goalie when I do those, so that I have time to recover between drills.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 22, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

Skating drills like that are physically demanding. I honestly need to work with another goalie when I do those, so that I have time to recover between drills.
Though it's also depressing to do that work with another goalie who's a kid around the age of 11-14 because goddrat they have tons of energy.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

real_scud posted:

Though it's also depressing to do that work with another goalie who's a kid around the age of 11-14 because goddrat they have tons of energy.

Yeah, this guy was 18 or 19 with his energy and his skill and his flared butterfly :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to make him feel bad, warn him that in about 15 years he'll be as slow and weak as you are. Age consumes us all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those pinstripe Bauers :stare:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

xzzy posted:

If you want to make him feel bad, warn him that in about 15 years he'll be as slow and weak as you are. Age consumes us all.

18 years :(

I also joined the intramural league at the university. What. A. Mistake. We were up 2-0 a few minutes into the game and lost 14-3. It was humbling.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got a call from the league director last night around 10:15 PM asking if I wanted to reschedule our game at the last minute. It was an 11:00 PM start and the rink was already running behind and there was a U16AAA game that was just about to go into 2OT or 3OT. The game before ours hadn't even started yet and the earliest we could get on the ice was 11:40 PM, so I agreed to reschedule our game for next week. That ended up being a good decision, since that U16AAA ended up having 7OT and didn't end until 11:30 PM and the game that was supposed to be scheduled before ours hadn't even been played yet.

quote:

Phoenix Jr Coyotes ‏@PhxJrCoyotes 10h
COYOTES WIN!!!!!!!!!! Cagnoni from Aguirre and Ekstrom!!!! Final game winner!!!! Longest Midget 16 hockey game EVER!!!!

Behind The Mask ‏@BTMhockey 2h
Excellent goaltending last night by both @jaxonCastor33 and @nicknast1 who faced a combined 150+ shots. Hope u guys got to sleep in 2day.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Good god that would've sucked.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I haven't played goal in like 3/4 of a year now. I should probably fix that at some point. The medial rolls go on the inside right???

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

Also, explain that hematoma, please.

Been a long time since I've been on the ice for a number of long, boring reasons so haven't checked this thread because it makes me want to get out there.

Hematoma wasn't from hockey, took a small(ish) fall when i was out climbing and the leg just exploded in purple a few days after

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

aejix posted:

Been a long time since I've been on the ice for a number of long, boring reasons so haven't checked this thread because it makes me want to get out there.

Hematoma wasn't from hockey, took a small(ish) fall when i was out climbing and the leg just exploded in purple a few days after

I've been told to ask you how to get gear in Australia (I'm in Perth).

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

aejix posted:

Ah, I was wondering how you got that kind of a bruise through hockey pants. You (and Marty) should get back on the ice.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Say you want to sell these. Do you clean the puck marks off? They're more noticeable in person than in the photo, but not bad at all.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

nahanahs posted:

Say you want to sell these. Do you clean the puck marks off? They're more noticeable in person than in the photo, but not bad at all.

I say scrub them off the white areas, nothing off the inside/ice side. I think its neat you can remove them so early but i'm always paranoid about any scuffing possibly doing more than just the pucks.

One of the goalies I coach got his first Varsity win this weekend. His 1st game he made 41 saves on 44 shots so he got another chance and earned a Shutout. His footwork is fantastic and his speed is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUzBxWe56QA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Any advice on stick handling? I was trying to saucer pass the puck today but felt like I was going to wrench my shoulder of my catcher arm trying to put any power into it. I also struggled to get any sort of grip on the stick with my catcher, made any attempts at using my backhand impossible.

Also my stick hand kinda hurts/cramps from gripping the stick, am I gripping it too hard? Is it the cold? Is it the glove on my blocker? Or do I need to work on my grip strength?

• Locked thread