Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m thinking of going the home depot route and getting a butcher block. What do I realistically need to do to it to get it going? Sand? Stain? Seal? Or are they pretty much ok out of the box these days.

https://youtu.be/UICBw1OXdbI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I sanded mine, gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil to give it some color, sanded it again, then coated it with "Emmets Good Stuff" that we had left from doing our kitchen counters. But I wanted it mirror shiny.

You'd at least want to give it a light sand and then put polyurethane on so it's smooth, sealed from moisture, and you don't get hand oil stains where your mouse/keyboard sit. You want to poly all sides too.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

New speakers arrived! Pretty happy with how everything is set up now. Would love to replace the hot loud laptop with an M1 mini.

Going to replace the table top with a laminated soild wood top. Just need to get round to putting it together.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Either your speakers are too low or your screen is too high.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Granite Octopus posted:

New speakers arrived! Pretty happy with how everything is set up now. Would love to replace the hot loud laptop with an M1 mini.

Going to replace the table top with a laminated soild wood top. Just need to get round to putting it together.

This is beautiful. Really nice looking setup!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Granite Octopus posted:

Looks good. You mean laminate or solid wood top, which one? :shobon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

Needs some colorful yoga blocks

Also what speakers are those?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

New speakers arrived!

List of all the audio stuff, please.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dema posted:

List of all the audio stuff, please.

Speakers: Ascension Firesprite 602PQ
The speakers are made by a couple of guys in Adelaide. They've been doing it for ~10 years, maybe more. Fantastic sound quality for the price, and it's nice to be able to get something made locally. They are also happy to do custom builds. If you're in Australia, highly recommended.

Receiver: Denon RCD-M41DAB
I wanted a little mini receiver with DAB + CD that didn't look hideous or come with crap speakers. Yamaha have some nice retro-looking models but they're sold out everywhere, so this was the runner-up. Works really well. My only complaint is the CD transport is a bit noisy.

Audio interface: Steinberg UR12
Mostly for phantom power for my cheap eBay mic, but it doesn't hurt that the output DAC and headphone amp is decent.

Inner Light posted:

Looks good. You mean laminate or solid wood top, which one? :shobon:

Thanks! Sorry, bit confusing with overloaded terms. Going to be laminating some pieces together horizontally, similar to what you'd see on a cutting board:

The Lord Bude posted:

There's a small lounge behind my chair where I like to sit so they're in a bit of a compromised position. I also didn't want them blocking my view too much. I do at least angle them in a bit normally, I just set them straight for this photo :P

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

Speakers: Ascension Firesprite 602PQ
The speakers are made by a couple of guys in Adelaide. They've been doing it for ~10 years, maybe more. Fantastic sound quality for the price, and it's nice to be able to get something made locally. They are also happy to do custom builds. If you're in Australia, highly recommended.

Receiver: Denon RCD-M41DAB
I wanted a little mini receiver with DAB + CD that didn't look hideous or come with crap speakers. Yamaha have some nice retro-looking models but they're sold out everywhere, so this was the runner-up. Works really well. My only complaint is the CD transport is a bit noisy.

Audio interface: Steinberg UR12
Mostly for phantom power for my cheap eBay mic, but it doesn't hurt that the output DAC and headphone amp is decent.

Thanks! Sorry, bit confusing with overloaded terms. Going to be laminating some pieces together horizontally, similar to what you'd see on a cutting board:

There's a small lounge behind my chair where I like to sit so they're in a bit of a compromised position. I also didn't want them blocking my view too much. I do at least angle them in a bit normally, I just set them straight for this photo :P

Tweeters should be level with your ears though. If you spend more time in the lower lounge than you do in the desk chair then that’s acceptable I suppose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Tweeters should be level with your ears though. If you spend more time in the lower lounge than you do in the desk chair then that’s acceptable I suppose.

I think that's rare with computer speakers in general. My Creative Pebble 2.0s actually angle upward so they project toward my head from desk height, presumably for this reason.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I just bought the new Ikea g4m3r desk and it's surprisingly good. I just wish a section of the top wasn't metal though. Also, the black top is kind of a fingerprint magnet

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

horchata posted:

I just bought the new Ikea g4m3r desk and it's surprisingly good. I just wish a section of the top wasn't metal though. Also, the black top is kind of a fingerprint magnet

The Utespelare? It looks pretty nice and right around the price I'd be comfortable with. The little mesh backing it has is a nice touch too for some easy cable management. May have to order one of those to replace the tiny L-desk I've had for years.

Edit: Ikea doesn't do just regular delivery? drat. The cheapest delivery cost is $199 on top of the $160 for the desk lmao

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

cage-free egghead posted:

Edit: Ikea doesn't do just regular delivery? drat. The cheapest delivery cost is $199 on top of the $160 for the desk lmao

Nope. All their shipping is through independent freight haulers from the nearest warehouse from what I can tell.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It is very odd and I've never figured it out. IKEA has the worst shipping options of any major retailer I've seen in memory, and they've never changed it. In These Times, that seems like a mega fuckton of cash left on the table, by not using traditional UPS/FedEx/whatever and an online system to match. Perhaps there is some reason I am not understanding.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

It is very odd and I've never figured it out. IKEA has the worst shipping options of any major retailer I've seen in memory, and they've never changed it. In These Times, that seems like a mega fuckton of cash left on the table, by not using traditional UPS/FedEx/whatever and an online system to match. Perhaps there is some reason I am not understanding.

They want you to stop being a little girl and use your roof racks. (At least that’s what the ad that used to air in Australia back when I had no choice but to sit through ads on tv used to say)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Inner Light posted:

On one hand, delivery logistics are extremely difficult and expensive on large items that have a high chance of being damaged in transit, or really at any point from production to end delivery.

On the other hand, where are you going to get an Utespelare?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Three Olives posted:

On one hand, delivery logistics are extremely difficult and expensive on large items that have a high chance of being damaged in transit, or really at any point from production to end delivery.

Nah, that is a wild excuse. Every furniture company under the sun ships items the way I described, including flat pack ones. It is truly baffling why they don't.

Article.com, West Elm, Pier One, a million other companies do it this way, and non-flat pack is harder to ship. My full-size non flat pack couch came in one box from Article.

Not to mention Uplift desk and all their clones.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Three Olives posted:

If we can manage to ship entire intact sectional sets across the world without issue, IKEA can get a flat pack 50 miles. Without costing 4 times as much for shipping.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My favorite part of ikea shipping was just changing the address from my house to my parents' place 5 minutes away could be a difference of $50 and availability of product.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
IKEA wants to send you through the housewares and nicknacks maze, obviously.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I never realized IKEA shipping was so bad since I live close enough to several that I can drive to and never really considered shipping options until COVID hit. The few times I tried the shipping options, it said it wasn't available so I've always opted to just going in person and sometimes ordering for pickup. That said, the stock of items can vary greatly between stores which necessitates needing to hitting multiple stores. Just recently, I went to the Brooklyn location without checking the stock for some items that I knew were plentiful in the Elizabeth location. Come my surprise that the items were out of stock and I had to make an additional run to Elizabeth which wasn't too big of a deal since it was sort of on my way home in NJ but had to take a slightly longer route to avoid incurring additional tolls.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Smythe posted:

IKEA wants to send you through the housewares and nicknacks maze, obviously.

I would gladly do this but the closest one is 6 hours away.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't even want to drive like 6 hours round trip just for a desk lol.

Is there anywhere else I could look for similar style desks that isn't Amazon or shady eBay sellers?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Home Depot sells very affordable butcher blocks if you're able to build your own! Once mine's finished it'll probably be close to 1/3 the cost of a comparable size, pre-built desk, from one of the name brands.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I don't even want to drive like 6 hours round trip just for a desk lol.

Is there anywhere else I could look for similar style desks that isn't Amazon or shady eBay sellers?

Home Depot’s Husky worktops are really nice for the money. Several goons have bought crank-driven sit/stand ones at various widths. You can get them in white.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
IKEA are a "charity" that has made an insane amount of money through high margin regional stores. Any move away from that operating method has been done begrudgingly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Home Depot’s Husky worktops are really nice for the money. Several goons have bought crank-driven sit/stand ones at various widths. You can get them in white.

I can confirm. I'm using the 46" one, and my wife wants to pick up a second one for herself, for crafting on.

Sitting:

Standing (after 50 turns):

Coworker:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

IUG posted:

Coworker:

Seems like that cat has been tasked with making sure you're actually working from home.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

IUG posted:

Coworker:

That's a cool desk you've got there, but your coworker totally stole the show :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IUG posted:

I can confirm. I'm using the 46" one, and my wife wants to pick up a second one for herself, for crafting on.

Sitting:

Standing (after 50 turns):

Coworker:

Having looked at them in person, I’d recommend saving some cash and getting one without the drawers.

They are neither attractive nor sturdy enough to justify their presence, just add a cabinet underneath if you desperately need a place to keep pens, etc

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Ok Comboomer posted:

Having looked at them in person, I’d recommend saving some cash and getting one without the drawers.

They are neither attractive nor sturdy enough to justify their presence, just add a cabinet underneath if you desperately need a place to keep pens, etc

Is this recommendation based off a floor model or one you have/saw at someone's house? If the floor model, don't do any basis for stability off what you see in the store. Way more often than not floor models are barely put together enough to stand upright. They are generally there for looks, nothing more.

If the latter, fair enough.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, they're made as tool benches, so they can hold some weight. But I'm a computer toucher, so instead it's a pencil tray filled with SD cards, adapters, etc. They open/close fine, and even have a little resistance when fully closed so you don't knock the bottom one open if you brush against it or something. Not to mention the drawers are huge for my purposes. The bottom drawer is basically a junk drawer as all the important stuff fit in the top one with space to spare.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i've got the Husky with the drawers and they are great for holding a bunch of random desk stuff but do make it a bit uncomfortable to sit at. they hang down too far to sit nicely with my legs underneath. I find myself sitting with my feet up on my chair or something rather than sitting like a normal person. I've been thinking about removing at least the bottom drawer but ahhh i've got too much stuff

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

If we can manage to ship entire intact sectional sets across the world without issue, IKEA can get a flat pack 50 miles. Without costing 4 times as much for shipping.

Can? Probably? Wants to build the required infrastructure, overhead, loss of brand experience, customer service issues when they are turning a profit of $1.7 billion dollars and are not accountable to any public shareholders? BTW, if you ever want to look at a corporate structure that would give even professionals in the business a migraine, look at their corporate ownership structure, it is insane.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Can? Probably? Wants to build the required infrastructure, overhead, loss of brand experience, customer service issues when they are turning a profit of $1.7 billion dollars and are not accountable to any public shareholders? BTW, if you ever want to look at a corporate structure that would give even professionals in the business a migraine, look at their corporate ownership structure, it is insane.

But that's my point, it's like Amazon refusing to do business with shippers including their own. It's asinine. What if that 1.7B could be 3B if they just shipped some god drat flat pack?

Whatever though, I'm willing to drop it since I'm not going to get a good answer to this without doing some serious IKEA research lol. I do want to try to pierce the veil of their corporate structure and learn some of it at least.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ikea had supply chain issues with the awful shipping options as it is, I can only imagine how much worse it would be if they had legitimately good shipping to empty their warehouses even faster.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The current flat packs are designed for palletized shipping too, so you'd have to redesign them to survive individual shipping (adding waste and expense for instore customers) or add overboxing to stores or distribution centers and that's just a completely different business model.

Especially over the last year, they are selling more than they can make, so why do that.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

The Utespelare? It looks pretty nice and right around the price I'd be comfortable with. The little mesh backing it has is a nice touch too for some easy cable management. May have to order one of those to replace the tiny L-desk I've had for years.

I have some thoughts on it after actually building it and using it for ~1 week

I don't use the little crack in between the desk/mesh back as much as I thought I would and using a monitor mount kinda sucks cause it's hard to install it on the metal grill. It's a lot easier if you have a scrap piece of a wood block to sandwich in between the mesh and the mount.

Also, the black version is a fingerprint magnet and shows hella streaks when I clean it, I'd get the grey version if I have the option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Made a few changes including a 3rd monitor for auxiliary stuff which involved one monitor swap and hacking together a mounting solution.