Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Darth Plagieus novel goes a little more in depth with midichlorians than anything I've ever seen. It was handled really well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ImpAtom posted:

And then that was promptly ignored so they could use force-guided torpedoes, shoot green lightning and travel through time.

Ugh. I forgot about that. gently caress you, Troy Denning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Flow Walking isn't really time travel though. You can observe but not make any substantial changes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Suenteus Po posted:

Any such thing would just be a more complicated version of fantasy bullshit, because jedi and force powers aren't real. The laws of physics do not actually let you lift X-wings with your mind. Also lasers don't pew pew in the vacuum of space.

But exactly the same thing can be said about Star Trek :techno:. No matter how detailed the explanation of the warp engines, it's still going to be completely fictional, "loosely inspired by" real physics at best. And yet there's a certain class of fan that just eats it up.

So I get where Esroc is coming from in wanting more technical details on the Force, even if I don't agree. To me, the difference here between the Force and a warp engine is that warp engines don't have an arcane mystique to lose. The big blue thrummy thing in the engine room doesn't seem any less cool if you learn which end of it the antimatter comes from.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

And then that was promptly ignored so they could use force-guided torpedoes, shoot green lightning and travel through time.

But the green lightning isn't evil at all!

Also, I thought at least the force-pushed torpedos were comparatively sane. Turning a battleship inside-out by inverting one of their pocket black holes, less so.

Powered Descent posted:

But exactly the same thing can be said about Star Trek :techno:. No matter how detailed the explanation of the warp engines, it's still going to be completely fictional, "loosely inspired by" real physics at best. And yet there's a certain class of fan that just eats it up.

So I get where Esroc is coming from in wanting more technical details on the Force, even if I don't agree. To me, the difference here between the Force and a warp engine is that warp engines don't have an arcane mystique to lose. The big blue thrummy thing in the engine room doesn't seem any less cool if you learn which end of it the antimatter comes from.

The thing is that Geordi doesn't regularly go down to the holy Engine Core and go "Hey, God-analogue, it's me, Geordi. Where should we be going next? Can you give me any visions of the future, and maybe (just maybe) could you not warp core breach this week? Everyone in engineering is going bald and sterile and I'm already blind, so it'd be really nice if you could cut that out maybe. Amen."

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 10, 2012

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

OriginalPseudonym posted:

But the green lightning isn't evil at all!

Force powers aren't inherently good or evil; it's how you use them. That's K-canon...Kanon if you will.*

*Kyle Katarn...highest canon after OT.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I always liked to think that Force Lightning required you to channel all your hate and anger at the directed target. Basically it's the raw, naked power of the dark side in full display, which is why only Sith Lords were flinging it around and Jedi never touched it. It makes more sense then "hey this is a totally ok power for Jedi to use they just decided they never wanted to use it even though it's totally useful"

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

WhyteRyce posted:

I always liked to think that Force Lightning required you to channel all your hate and anger at the directed target. Basically it's the raw, naked power of the dark side in full display, which is why only Sith Lords were flinging it around and Jedi never touched it. It makes more sense then "hey this is a totally ok power for Jedi to use they just decided they never wanted to use it even though it's totally useful"

If I had to think it through, both "sides" can access all of the same abilities, just through different means. Like a Jedi can move an object with his mind by concentrating/focusing and a Sith can move an object with his mind by getting emotional and willing it to move.

Force lightning being a "Bad" power might be because the only practical use is to damage living tissue and destroy life. Jedi tended to practice defensive uses of the force and even lightsaber combat.

But, yeah EU fuckery.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a book that comes to mind; did anybody ever read the Jedi Apprentice series when they were younger? It had a villain whose whole gimmick was experimenting on Jedi to try and break down the Force into measurable scientific components.

Truly the best title...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It looks like theres literally the picture of an action figure on that cover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

As I recall, even before Luke got his green lightning they'd given one of the prequel trilogy background Jedi the power of "electric judgment", which is more or less exactly the same Force lightning except it's being used by a Jedi.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Casimir Radon posted:

Truly the best title...

I read this series once, and I can remember jack poo poo about it.

Other than Qui-Gon getting kidnapped for the eponymous "evil experiment", of course, and it featuring a really young Obi Wan.

[e]: Jesus christ, there's twenty of the things, all with the most generic titles a boardroom could come up with:

The Rising Force
The Dark Rival
The Hidden Past
The Mark of the Crown
The Defenders of the Dead
The Uncertain Path
The Captive Temple
The Day of Reckoning
The Fight for Truth
The Shattered Peace
The Deadly Hunter
The Evil Experiment
The Dangerous Rescue
The Ties That Bind
The Death of Hope
The Call to Vengeance
The Only Witness
The Threat Within
Deceptions (Special Edition)
The Followers (Special Edition)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 11, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

I read this series once, and I can remember jack poo poo about it.

Other than Qui-Gon getting kidnapped for the eponymous "evil experiment", of course, and it featuring a really young Obi Wan.

[e]: Jesus christ, there's twenty of the things, all with the most generic titles a boardroom could come up with:

The Rising Force
The Dark Rival
The Hidden Past
The Mark of the Crown
The Defenders of the Dead
The Uncertain Path
The Captive Temple
The Day of Reckoning
The Fight for Truth
The Shattered Peace
The Deadly Hunter
The Evil Experiment
The Dangerous Rescue
The Ties That Bind
The Death of Hope
The Call to Vengeance
The Only Witness
The Threat Within
Deceptions (Special Edition)
The Followers (Special Edition)

Had this entire series. Loved the hell out of them growing up. My mom supported my Star Wars addiction, so every time we were at a store that sold them, she'd pick me up a Star Wars book. Jedi Apprentice and Young Jedi Knights were my favorites.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

LLJKSiLk posted:

Force lightning being a "Bad" power might be because the only practical use is to damage living tissue and destroy life. Jedi tended to practice defensive uses of the force and even lightsaber combat.

But, yeah EU fuckery.

You know what Force Lightning would have been great for the Jedi to use against?

Battledroids.

Hell, even in one of the SW Starfighter video games I think a Jedi has a Force Lightning power that is pretty much a quick kill for droidfighters.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JediTalentAgent posted:

You know what Force Lightning would have been great for the Jedi to use against?

Battledroids.

Hell, even in one of the SW Starfighter video games I think a Jedi has a Force Lightning power that is pretty much a quick kill for droidfighters.

Doesn't Kotor 1&2 have FL as +dmg vs. droids? I may be misremembering.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Doesn't Kotor 1&2 have FL as +dmg vs. droids? I may be misremembering.
Exactly right. The 'Destroy Droid' line of abilities was one of the most hilariously broken powers when you got to any droid heavy area of the game e.g. KotOR I's entire finale.

The core issue behind this darkside and lightside powers thing is that all the writers have to follow the 'There are two distinct sides to the force' line.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

iolo_the_bard posted:

Jedi Apprentice and Young Jedi Knights were my favorites.
I read the Jedi Apprentice series (all three) as they were released in my late 20s/early 30s and I unironically think they're among the best Star Wars EU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought there were only two Jedi Apprentice series (the original one and Jedi Quest). What's the third?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought there were only two Jedi Apprentice series (the original one and Jedi Quest). What's the third?

Last of the Jedi, wasn't it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

iolo_the_bard posted:

Flow Walking isn't really time travel though. You can observe but not make any substantial changes.

That's incorrect. People in the time being projected into can see whoever is doing the flow walking and messages can even be delivered in this manner.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

That's incorrect. People in the time being projected into can see whoever is doing the flow walking and messages can even be delivered in this manner.

I don't recall which book it was, but it gets explicitly stated that you can't do anything too major while flow walking, that the Force itself would restore things to the "proper flow" or however it was phrased.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bene Elim posted:

Exactly right. The 'Destroy Droid' line of abilities was one of the most hilariously broken powers when you got to any droid heavy area of the game e.g. KotOR I's entire finale.

Ha! I remember being in college and watching one of my friends play through the final boss battle, trying and failing to get through the battle multiple times and getting angrier and angrier. I knew just how to get through it easily (zap all the stasis tubes with Destroy Droid or some other zappy power before Malak can drain their energy), and I tried to tell him that, but my friend's pride wouldn't allow him to accept any help or advice. So I just watched him for a while, all :ohdear:, before leaving for bed. Rather funny in retrospect. And that's my Boring Star Wars Anecdote of the Month (TM).

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

Esroc posted:

I may be completely alone in this, but I would like to see a novel go into the science behind the Force. I was one of the very few who was excited about midichlorians in the prequels because it removed the mystical, religious aspect of the force and connected it to a more scientific view of that Universe. I enjoy Star Wars partly because I feel it is possible that the canon behind the Force can be explained in-universe as something more profound than "magic." Though I do understand that the fantasy element of Star Wars is partly what people enjoy about it, I personally would find enjoyment in having that fantasy explained.

Does anyone else agree that it might be exciting to read about how force users are really just manipulating the laws of physics?

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I liked it better when the Jedi were all mysterious and all we knew about them was they were mysterious and had laser swords.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been wondering about something; before the prequel movies came out, what were the EU accounts of what the Jedi were like before the Empire took over? Leaving aside the really ancient Jedi from the Tales Of the Jedi comics and the Jedi Academy trilogy, there was Jorus C'Baoth going to Jedi unversity and the Jedi spaceship from The Courtship Of Princess Leia. What other hints did they drop?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been wondering about something; before the prequel movies came out, what were the EU accounts of what the Jedi were like before the Empire took over? Leaving aside the really ancient Jedi from the Tales Of the Jedi comics and the Jedi Academy trilogy, there was Jorus C'Baoth going to Jedi unversity and the Jedi spaceship from The Courtship Of Princess Leia. What other hints did they drop?

I think you mean the Jedi Spaceship from Children of the Jedi, unless I'm forgetting a major part of Courtship.

Other than that, Kevin J. Anderson was the first person to mention Holocrons in Dark Empire, and then again in his Jedi Academy Trilogy. That trilogy might have been the first mention of anything having to do with the Jedi Council in the EU, but I can't remember if they went into any details.

Before the prequels came out, authors weren't really allowed to talk about that era too much, just in case Lucas ever decided to make his prequels. And when they did (like Timothy Zahn and the clones) they ran the risk of being retconned (like Timothy Zahn and the clones).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think you mean the Jedi Spaceship from Children of the Jedi, unless I'm forgetting a major part of Courtship.
You are.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Courtship had Yoda's Jedi training ship that crashed on Dathomir.

Actually Courtship had a lot of details that were eerily spot-on in retrospect. It mentioned the Jedi having a big headquarters temple on Coruscant, which included a Jedi archive and a "throne room" where the Jedi Masters could confer with the "High Master". It also mentions that in the "final hours of the Old Republic", the Emperor sent stormtroopers to invade the Jedi temple.

Given how the Nightsisters and Dathomir from Courtship got used in the Clone Wars show, it makes me wonder if Lucas actually read it and took inspiration from it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

I was going to mention that one but I couldn't remember the title of the book. It's one of the handful of Bantam era books I never got around to reading, but from what I recall it operated under the assumption that Jedi were allowed to marry and have children.

Here's one I remember; the Jedi vs. Sith comic. Did anyone ever read that? My brother and I thought we'd picked up some kind of weird Lord Of the Rings crossover by mistake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

You are.

Wow, I completely blocked that out.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Chairman Capone posted:

Given how the Nightsisters and Dathomir from Courtship got used in the Clone Wars show, it makes me wonder if Lucas actually read it and took inspiration from it.

Lucas doesnt write the show, it has a traditional show runner and writers who write based on approved story arcs. So its possible that storyline was influenced by the EU.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He doesn't write it, but he does have a lot of input including giving the actual writers certain storylines to write, and the whole Dathomir/Nightsister arc was one of those that had its origins with Lucas.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's one I remember; the Jedi vs. Sith comic. Did anyone ever read that? My brother and I thought we'd picked up some kind of weird Lord Of the Rings crossover by mistake.

They were quite strange. I forgot about most of the things I read in that series until I played KOTOR, and was wondering why most of the names of the tombs in the Sith Valley were familiar.

Wan't there a jedi that was basically a jellyfish and could only float in a tank or something?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Jedi vs. Sith was shown to have panals that were complete LOTR ripoffs.

Also, FUM FUM DUM!!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

They were quite strange. I forgot about most of the things I read in that series until I played KOTOR, and was wondering why most of the names of the tombs in the Sith Valley were familiar.

Wan't there a jedi that was basically a jellyfish and could only float in a tank or something?

Ooroo. Yes, he was a jellyfish-thing.

I still kind of like the old Tales of the Jedi comics. Sure, they were hokey but just the right kind of hokey. One of the very few things Anderson didn't ruin in Star Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The TOTJ comics were great if only because they portrayed the ancient SW universe in a way that actually looked ancient. Every other Pre-PT EU thing has it look just like the OT/PT with different ships and weapons.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wookieepedia article for Ooroo posted:

However, unlike most species, who breathed oxygen, Celegians breathed cyanogen. The yellow gas was poisonous to most forms of life. The planet on which Ooroo conducted his teaching was oxygen-rich, which meant that the ancient Jedi Master had to live in a cyanogen-filled crystalline life-support tank, which floated several feet above the ground. However, this did not affect his ability with a lightsaber, though he rarely made use of such a weapon and preferred to avoid combat. However, when violent conflict was unpreventable, he usually utilized his variety of Force-powers.

What. :psyduck:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nah, that was a different series. Jedi vs. Sith kind of ties into the old Dark Forces games, specifically the second one. It takes place about a thousand years before Episode IV.

It featured characters later used in the Darth Bane novels, which tell more or less the same story but from the perspective of the villains. It had all kinds of weird poo poo like Jedi being referred to as Lords, Jedi being commemorated in song and saga, and Jedi giving lightsabers to untrained children and sending them out to fight the Sith.

The purpose of the miniseries, from what I gather, was to demonstrate how this seemingly endless war between the Jedi and the Sith and brought the Jedi to the brink of abandoning their principles in the interest of victory. While that's a good premise, the actual story doesn't really do a great job of covneying it.

Some pretty good artwork, though.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh, that one, sorry, I was thinking of Tales of the Jedi.

I remember reading the one you were talking about. I remember it being the first Star Wars thing I read where someone was called an out-and-out "bastard", with no pussy-footing around the term like "Bantha poodoo", or "sith-spawn", or any other of the made-up insults.

Yeah, the whole look and feel of things was more like a generic fantasy than it was even remotely Star Wars related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh, that one, sorry, I was thinking of Tales of the Jedi.

I remember reading the one you were talking about. I remember it being the first Star Wars thing I read where someone was called an out-and-out "bastard", with no pussy-footing around the term like "Bantha poodoo", or "sith-spawn", or any other of the made-up insults.

Heh. My brother and I were really quite scandalised by that line. Later on, I read the Jedi Academy trilogy and there's one part where Lando says, "Got you, you bastard!" when they find the guy who kidnapped Han Solo.