Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Vindolanda posted:

I went googling and learned a new phrase! I’d never heard of a four in hand rasp, but it turns out I already own one - I only knew four in hand for coaches and hoped you had a thread about restoring or building one. I’d confirm that those Shinto rasps are absolutely smashing. Also, if you work in the cross-legged on the ground afghan style you can hold the rasp between abdomen and foot and it works great for shaping small wood parts that would be hard to clamp. One caveat is that really small things can stick in the gaps and you’ll find out that they did an amazing job sharpening the teeth.

Does anyone have a recommendation for heat and water proof gloves? I need to do some freehand polypropylene rod bending and I think my best bet is boiling water, ideally without removing all of my skin.

You can always layer gloves -- put oversized waterproof gloves over tight-fitting heat insulating ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
How much flexibility do you need, and how waterproof? Welding gloves are a generally awesome thing to have around, and will stand up to 212 degrees just fine. But they will eventually get soaked through.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nitsuga posted:

Public health insurance, but no Bolt Depot? :canada:

I'd ship 'em to you FWIW.

Awww! Thanks goony!
I might have to take you up on that offer later on, but for now I'm not in a hurry.
I do appreciate that you'd help out a random internet person though.:glomp:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What about bbq gloves they're rubber, some have grippies and are meant to withstand heat. Dunkin then in boiling water for long periods may cause issue but you should feel it getting warmer and warmer before it peels your skin off.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

stealie72 posted:

How much flexibility do you need, and how waterproof? Welding gloves are a generally awesome thing to have around, and will stand up to 212 degrees just fine. But they will eventually get soaked through.

I’d been thinking first of those aramid kitchen gloves made by Coolskin for flexibility but they do let water through.
To be honest thinking about it more I don’t need to protect against immersion, so a shop towel should do the job without pandering to my lust for new toys.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vindolanda posted:

without pandering to my lust for new toys.
You may be in the wrong thread....

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

stealie72 posted:

You may be in the wrong thread....

I’m so sorry, I don’t know what came over me. I’d better buy every glove just in case I need a pair.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

plastidip your welding gloves.

edit: don't plastidip your welding gloves.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Rotten Cookies posted:

plastidip your welding gloves.

edit: don't plastidip your welding gloves.

Plastidip your hands then put them in welding gloves

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Squibbles posted:

Plastidip your hands then put them in welding gloves

Dunk your hands in molten silver:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7dt0bG8XU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

You can always layer gloves -- put oversized waterproof gloves over tight-fitting heat insulating ones.

Wouldn't your oversized waterproof gloves just... melt? If not, why bother with the heat insulating ones?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Wouldn't your oversized waterproof gloves just... melt? If not, why bother with the heat insulating ones?
Hands scald at lower temperatures than gloves melt.

I suspect.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I have not worked on my espalier trellis in a whole week.

I’m fostering some tiny baby kittens and it is destroying both my sleep schedule and, apparently, my ability to do anything else during my downtime.

Hopefully things will open up a bit when the kitties’ eyes open and I have a little more time between their feedings.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's everyone's favorite digital protractor? Needs to be good enough for fairly precise woodworking, but not precision machining or anything.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's everyone's favorite digital protractor? Needs to be good enough for fairly precise woodworking, but not precision machining or anything.

I've got the Wixey and have been happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-...ps%2C375&sr=8-3

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Falco posted:

I've got the Wixey and have been happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-...ps%2C375&sr=8-3

I use a similar cheap version of that, but it's limited to measuring angles in the direction of gravity.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I use a similar cheap version of that, but it's limited to measuring angles in the direction of gravity.
What I am looking for is more like a bevel gauge with digital readout not a digital level, useful as that would be.

All the $20 ones on Amazon look about the same and claim to be accurate to half a degree and I don’t think I need a $140 Starrett, so I guess I’ll pick the prettiest one. Might just stick to the tried and true bevel gauge and forget about the numbers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have a Huskey digital T bevel and it works

Fine enough.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What I am looking for is more like a bevel gauge with digital readout not a digital level, useful as that would be.

All the $20 ones on Amazon look about the same and claim to be accurate to half a degree and I don’t think I need a $140 Starrett, so I guess I’ll pick the prettiest one. Might just stick to the tried and true bevel gauge and forget about the numbers.

Yeah. I've yet to find a good one, analogue or digital.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Awww! Thanks goony!
I might have to take you up on that offer later on, but for now I'm not in a hurry.
I do appreciate that you'd help out a random internet person though.:glomp:

What kind of goon would I be if I wouldn’t be willing to do that?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In my years of fixing and building things, I really love having the right tool for the job and everything goes smooth. BUT, sometimes you can't just run to the hardware store to get that tool when you need it. I was recently servicing my dirt bike forks to change the seals, clean them out and add new oil. I recently bought a bench vise after years of putting it off because this project is made much easier with a vise. The lower fork tubes can't be scratched meaning I needed soft jaws so I bought some thick angled aluminum and cut/filed it down to fit the vise.

The biggest hurdle was needing a special Yamaha tool for removing a cartridge in the bottom with four gaps. Some of the videos I saw made me think I could get by without it. Once I got into my fork, I realized I needed it.

My forks were already stripped down, parts delivered and now I would need to buy something else and wait another week or so to get it, and thats if you can even find it. I saw a video where someone made one by welding some square tubing and a piece of round stock at the end, another forum post showed a guy making one out of a closet rod from home depot. Off to home depot I went.

I traced the circumference and wrapped the pipe in painters tape. It gave me something to draw a grid on. This way, I can slowly grind off the grooves in (semi) precise and equal increments. I used a small cutoff wheel on my dremel and a grinding disc to smooth things out. Later I went in with a steel wheel to clean things up.

Success. It worked perfectly, was strong enough to remove and torque everything back together, cost me less than buying said tool from Yamaha/motion pro etc, and didn't require waiting a week or more for shipping.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

In my years of fixing and building things, I really love having the right tool for the job and everything goes smooth. BUT, sometimes you can't just run to the hardware store to get that tool when you need it. I was recently servicing my dirt bike forks to change the seals, clean them out and add new oil. I recently bought a bench vise after years of putting it off because this project is made much easier with a vise. The lower fork tubes can't be scratched meaning I needed soft jaws so I bought some thick angled aluminum and cut/filed it down to fit the vise.

The biggest hurdle was needing a special Yamaha tool for removing a cartridge in the bottom with four gaps. Some of the videos I saw made me think I could get by without it. Once I got into my fork, I realized I needed it.

My forks were already stripped down, parts delivered and now I would need to buy something else and wait another week or so to get it, and thats if you can even find it. I saw a video where someone made one by welding some square tubing and a piece of round stock at the end, another forum post showed a guy making one out of a closet rod from home depot. Off to home depot I went.

I traced the circumference and wrapped the pipe in painters tape. It gave me something to draw a grid on. This way, I can slowly grind off the grooves in (semi) precise and equal increments. I used a small cutoff wheel on my dremel and a grinding disc to smooth things out. Later I went in with a steel wheel to clean things up.

Success. It worked perfectly, was strong enough to remove and torque everything back together, cost me less than buying said tool from Yamaha/motion pro etc, and didn't require waiting a week or more for shipping.

I love DIY'ing tools like this. They usually aren't complicated, but some quality time with a cutoff wheel, files, and tape/pen makes for a good substitute for the :homebrew: OEM tools. I make a lot with my 3D printer. The plastic won't scratch and if printed with enough walls, it's surprisingly strong. Lots of custom sockets for oddball parts that (IMHO) they intentionally make non-standard flats or hexes or squares.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same here. I've always enjoyed problem solving, especially when it's successful. Of all the little things I've created/hacked, my favorite was when I was in 4-5th grade. It was winter in Michigan and I came home from school and lost my house key. My babysitter wasn't there yet and apparently back then it was okay to leave a 10 year old home alone for a bit. I went into our backyard shed and went through my bag. I found a pencil sharpener and crushed it with a vise to get the metal blade out. I put that into the lock and voila I was inside. No idea why or how it worked but it did. My parents were pissed I lost a house key but they changed the locks shortly after seeing they could be had with a pencil sharpener. I've just always enjoyed making things work.

We still rent so I'm holding off on buying certain tools until we buy (probably next year) so I don't have to move them. That includes a power washer for my dirt bike, a big air compressor for the garage, a bench grinder and I was in the fence about it but possibly a 3d printer. I can think of a million uses for it, especially with my 1/10 scale rc rock crawler.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cross posting from the AI Tools thread (thought I posted here):

bolind posted:

I'm building a wooden deck and my OCD dictates that the screws line up perfectly. For that reason, I've fallen in love with those newfangled "3D" lasers, like this one:

What's a good one in the $100-$200 range (if that exists) for the discerning home gamer?

In particular, I like the feature where there's a dot below and above, perfectly plumb.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bolind posted:

Cross posting from the AI Tools thread (thought I posted here):

Or you could really splurge on a $5 chalk line you goon.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mr. Mambold posted:

Or you could really splurge on a $5 chalk line you goon.

That gets you enough chalk to last a lifetime too.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

JEEVES420 posted:

That gets you enough chalk to last a lifetime too.

Sorry, but lasers.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Chalk also has the benefit of working outdoors. Good luck seeing those dim little laser projections on dark wood in the sun. Are you building your deck at night?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Chalk also has the benefit of working outdoors. Good luck seeing those dim little laser projections on dark wood in the sun. Are you building your deck at night?

they'll sell you green lazors for ourside.. some even come with glasses..

https://amzn.to/3fpqirt

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Do they make an IR version that I can use with my night vision goggles?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

for tactical leveling?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tater_salad posted:

for tactical leveling?

So you can paint the target.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I want one where I have to use a little water mister or maybe cigar smoke to reveal the lasers so I can pretend I'm in a heist movie

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Chalk lines are cool and good (and the correct thing to be using to line up screws outdoors, arguably), but the worthwhile ones are expensive if you want more than a simple cross laser. In the prosumer sort of price range, I've had the best luck with Dewalt. I've been using the DW0851 for a while and it's excellent, but expensive.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
In the future we will have laser levels whose beams can be seen in broad daylight and will cut wood for you.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an older Delta chop saw and, coming from hand saws and circular saws, it's life-changing.
Also it owns for cutting metal. I hate trying to precisely cut stuff with an angle grinder.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I bought one of these as a new desk and I'm super impressed with it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

I'm considering getting more husky branded toolboxes or benches in the future.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at those for a cheap standing desk. How stable is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Stable enough to type on at full extension no problem. It has wobble for sure, but I wouldn't call it significant. At sitting height it's solid as heck. It's at least as stable as the fancy steelcase stuff at my work. Also if you're feeling lazy you can power it with a drill. You can also put the lower crossbar to the back so your feet don't hit it.