Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Me. I said it. Other than some really stupid and questionable decisions (the whole creepy thing and the stupid costume designs), Kill La Kill was super entertaining to watch and really had kickass pacing and design and action. There hasn't been an action series so well paced like that in a while and really had a good way of visually communicating the action and general hysteria, the backgrounds were really awesome color wise, it really drew you into the action and really communicated the hype super hard. I think it's an extremely solid 9/10, with the one point for stupid decisions they made like the creepiness and costume desings and ending. I thought it was a really charming in how utterly it just bulldozed forward and didn't take itself super seriously but at the same time made some loving awesome fighting and action in general.

I actually agree on the general colors and backgrounds and whatnot, if I can give KLK credit for anything it's that the show is actually pretty aesthetically pleasing overall. That being said, the show has a bunch of poor animation decisions that it tries to cover up, sometimes in cute ways, a lot of times in action scenes. That show has way too many action scenes that are poorly animated, some look nice, mostly the Ryuko vs Satsuki ones are animated pretty well, but most of them are pretty terrible. I specifically remember the Gamagoori episode where an entire episode of the same three frames of reused animations, panning shots, and character face close-ups made it obvious that something is up with the animation crew, because these are the same guys that did Little Witch Academia, a beautifully animated anime. There are entire fight scenes that have no purpose other than to establish how strong certain characters as if it is Bleach or Naruto and some of those characters end up doing nothing anyways.

The pacing is absolute dogshit. Like I really liked the series at the start, but it has always had really bad pacing. They would waste entire episodes to establish characters they never planned to do anything with and there are just entire lulls in the story that could've gone any other way to progress the story in more interesting ways and also used more time to develop. The show begins to take itself really seriously halfway through and moreso than it actually should given this is the same show that tries to actively make jokes on an almost constant basis. You cannot have a scene where Ryuko is literally having her life threatened by someone and Mako is yucking it up in the background, because that just makes me wanna see Mako more than any dumb drama bomb horseshit that is happening in the foreground.

Dias posted:

Oh, nevermind then, I read it completely wrong. Probably shouldn't reply to the thread while watching subbed stuff, too much information for my brain. In that case we're completely in agreement.

KLK had a very good start, then it kinda shat the bed. I still think it's fine, though the blatant fanservice and...those scenes make it less palatable on hindsight.

I want to think it's okay, but the second half is just so poor to me. I really enjoyed the first half too, but when the plot rears its ugly head the show just becomes an insane mess. It sucks because I was really ready to enjoy KLK when most of the first half was happening, but then I just sort of realized Imaishi already did goofy with serious story pretty well with Gurren-Lagann and even as far as over the top silliness goes, Panty & Stocking is also a show he does that better in and that's probably his best show.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
trigger as a studio has no ability to scale themselves down for a budget. They want everything to be little witch academia and instead of settling for less they do weird tricks to try and have it both ways.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There was a cool girl who does funny and serious things show that aired alongside KLK but nobody watched it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In4YoCWTKiM

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

trigger as a studio has no ability to scale themselves down for a budget. They want everything to be little witch academia and instead of settling for less they do weird tricks to try and have it both ways.

Well to be fair, Inferno Cop is the other end of the spectrum from Little Witch Academia and it's really funny and good because it goes all the way with animating absolutely nothing. It's not this have your cake and eat it thing that KLK tries to do with bad animation and trying to be self-aware about it, Inferno Cop just revels in what it is and it's wonderful. I'm happy LWA and Inferno Cop are getting a crossover, because those are the best things Trigger has done and that's going to be wonderful.

Rodyle posted:

There was a cool girl who does funny and serious things show that aired alongside KLK but nobody watched it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In4YoCWTKiM

All I heard about this series was people bitching about a rape scene and then they came into the awful KLK thread and praised KLK about how good it was.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I need my Ride to Hell fix, I have to see the finale. I'm surprised Her Story lasted as long as it did, I've heard it can be finished in two hours. I'm honestly enjoying the discussion more than the story itself.
Anyway time to go tell people not to enjoy stuff they enjoyed in excruciating detail!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

All I heard about this series was people bitching about a rape scene and then they came into the awful KLK thread and praised KLK about how good it was.

There is no rape scene or indeed sexual content in Kyousougiga, it's a Toei show for families, you are thinking of something else.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh wait no, I'm thinking of valvrave, my bad. I don't know why these names blend together in my head.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Is this really, sincerely something you are acting smug and superior about? Really?

edit: Before you say "you're doing the same thing", I already said before that it is my opinion that it looks like a crappy way to watch a movie. You are acting like I'm objectively wrong because you have personal issues with movie theaters which is like what??
It should be apparent that I'm hamming it up in that post and egging you on, I just think it's dumb to judge something like that without trying it first.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kill la Kill was good, until the afterglow wore off a couple weeks after it finished and everyone realized it was bad.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Thinking of watching Kamen Rider and other sentai craziness thanks to the Zaibatsu never shutting up about them in the best of ways. Any suggestions on watching order for series/shows and (other than torrenting, obviously) places to watch them? Preferably dubbed since I like to watch stuff while I'm working on art stuff, and obviously I don't get what's going on if I can't look directly at it, but if I can follow Jojo subbed I can follow a sentai series subbed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's no dub for sentai and kamen rider. It also depends on what you want out of your super hero shows, and then what you want out of a theme.

That said, Kamen Rider W, Fourze, and Shinkenger are the general recommendations for solid, overall shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mv9ej2ITUg

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wait I'm confused. Is that Her Story video not being labelled finale by accident?
And funnels make their amazing comeback.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Kill la Kill was good, until the afterglow wore off a couple weeks after it finished and everyone realized it was bad.

Pretty much exactly this, I was really into it when it was first airing and now I am pretty embarrassed that I've watched the entire thing. KLK was going to save Anime guys!

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Beef Chief posted:

oh wait no, I'm thinking of valvrave, my bad. I don't know why these names blend together in my head.

Kyousougiga is nothing like Valvrave. With that said, you better add Kyousougiga to that backlog.

pulp rag posted:

Thinking of watching Kamen Rider and other sentai craziness thanks to the Zaibatsu never shutting up about them in the best of ways. Any suggestions on watching order for series/shows and (other than torrenting, obviously) places to watch them? Preferably dubbed since I like to watch stuff while I'm working on art stuff, and obviously I don't get what's going on if I can't look directly at it, but if I can follow Jojo subbed I can follow a sentai series subbed.

The only dubs of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are in the other Asian countries so you're out of luck. As for finding stuff, torrents are the go-to sources with the exception of Crunchyroll. They've got a couple Godzilla films and some Ultraman series with a simulcast for the current show right now. And because I don't want to effortpost this here's the link to the tokusatsu thread over in ADTRW. Keep in mind the OP is not super up to date. It's missing the current series right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541221

Tae posted:

There's no dub for sentai and kamen rider. It also depends on what you want out of your super hero shows, and then what you want out of a theme.

That said, Kamen Rider W, Fourze, and Shinkenger are the general recommendations for solid, overall shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mv9ej2ITUg

Seconding this recommendation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have to add Kyosogiga to make amends for my terrible transgressions.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Radical, thanks for the recommendations, guys. Guess I was being a bit too hopeful that there'd be dubs and non-torrents, but like I said, I'll make it work!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

I have to add Kyosogiga to make amends for my terrible transgressions.

Good news, it's just 10 episodes, not counting the pilot episode 0 and some other guff that you can skip.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Just like Bioshock Infinite!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You people are insane.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

Wow what a mean thing to say about Bioshock Infinite.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

incredible

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

I liked a lot about Bioshock Infinite still, even if the story was absurd and some of the design decisions were poo poo. KLK was a cavalcade of missed opportunities and failed expectations, perhaps only saved by Mako and Gamagoori being the best parts of the show by far.

HGH posted:

You people are insane.
Please elaborate, Human Growth Hormones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

why

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Please elaborate, Human Growth Hormones.
Alright, here's an amendment: dedicated anime fans are insane. I've never seen so much work done just to shame and tell people to retroactively not enjoy themselves.
EDIT: I'll also throw in instantly assuming the worst about people, as if it's impossible to push past negatives or unappealing aesthetics. Nope, everyone is just mindless drones.
Also I didn't even know about that abbreviation when I wrote this name. It's just my initials.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HGH posted:

Alright, here's an amendment: dedicated anime fans are insane. I've never seen so much work done just to shame and tell people to retroactively not enjoy themselves.
EDIT: I'll also throw in instantly assuming the worst about people, as if it's impossible to push past negatives or unappealing aesthetics. Nope, everyone is just mindless drones.

I totally loving agree, I had a blast watching Kill La Kill when it first came out, I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through it, I was super hyped from the action and LOVED the art direction and use of color, and I really thought some of the shortcuts tricks they played didn't take away from the series, and this kind of retro-active NU-UH YOU SHOULD HATE IT is really stupid, and no amount of convincing is going to change the reality of how much I enjoyed the series when I did see it. and then they come and tell me that Panty and stocking is better when I absolutely HATED that series and thought it was utter trash, different strokes for different folks!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 15, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hate the notion that only *insert medium* fans are bad.

All dedicated fans are bad. Have you seen Games?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like the posters in this thread have really lost their way.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

and then they come and tell me that Panty and stocking is better when I absolutely HATED that series and thought it was utter trash, different strokes for different folks!

Okay, you're just insane.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I totally loving agree, I had a blast watching Kill La Kill when it first came out, I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through it, I was super hyped from the action and LOVED the art direction and use of color, and I really thought some of the shortcuts tricks they played didn't take away from the series, and this kind of retro-active NU-UH YOU SHOULD HATE IT is really stupid, and no amount of convincing is going to change the reality of how much I enjoyed the series when I did see it. and then they come and tell me that Panty and stocking is better when I absolutely HATED that series and thought it was utter trash, different strokes for different folks!

You are being way more vitriolic than anyone putting down KLK.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys understand that not liking - or even hating - something you like isn't a personal attack, right? It's not even like the discussion was unreasonable. Anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the first few episodes of Gurren Lagann until 7 is a low point in pacing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

you know what, this is really stupid, I really like KLK, and I totally understand why people wouldn't like it as much. I really and completely hate P&S and understand why people would like it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

you know what, this is really stupid, I really like KLK, and I totally understand why people wouldn't like it as much. I really and completely hate P&S and understand why people would like it.

lmfao

Dias posted:

You guys understand that not liking - or even hating - something you like isn't a personal attack, right? It's not even like the discussion was unreasonable. Anyway.

This

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Generally this is the part where you explain your reasoning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't, I don't need to see another diatribe about how people who actively watch anime are crazy people because they have the nerve to post why they don't like a show as much. The fact that two people said it in the same page is enough to speak worlds about both of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just wanted something different out of KLK than what I got I.E more Mako and ridiculous over the top High School chaos like that school obstacle course thing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

Please don't, I don't need to see another diatribe about how people who actively watch anime are crazy people because they have the nerve to post why they don't like a show as much. The fact that two people said it in the same page is enough to speak worlds about both of them.

Ok. I wont carry this on any further. also, I didn't call you a crazy person I just agree with the sentiment that sometimes it's nuts how much effort some people put into convincing you something you enjoyed was bad. also, I agree with a lot of your reasoning, but I feel that judging the animation quality of a 26 episode series against a 10 minute showpiece is a bit unfair.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
You must be a True Anime Expert to understand and truly appreciate the beauty of Kill la Kill. I'm only 80% joking when I say that.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jesus I can hardly believe that Kill La Kill is the hill that the Super Best Friends Play Thread is going to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok. I wont carry this on any further. also, I didn't call you a crazy person I just agree with the sentiment that sometimes it's nuts how much effort some people put into convincing you something you enjoy isn't. also, I agree with some of the reasoning's you gave, but I feel that judging the animation quality of a 26 episode series against a 10 minute showpiece is a bit unfair.

If it came off as me trying to convince you, then I do genuinely apologize for that. I disagree with a lot of your points obviously, but that doesn't come out of a place of hatred or disgust, but disappointment and wanting to debate. If I actively disliked that anyone enjoyed KLK I wouldn't be listening to the SBF podcast or have some of the friends I do. It's cool if you like it, I'm not trying to say you're a bad person or anything for it, I just disagree and I like to think that's fine to do. On the subject of the animation quality, that is a legit complaint I feel. While I am comparing it to LWA, that's just because it's an immediate example. Gurren-Lagann is notorious for having a poor quality 4th episode and even Gurren-Lagann I feel is far more well animated or at least does what KLK does a lot better. There's just a lot of series I can think of that work within similar constraints to what KLK does and don't have to do what it does to make up for its poor animation quality, especially since this Imaishi, a name associated with good action scenes and over the top animations.

FauxGateau posted:

Jesus I can hardly believe that Kill La Kill is the hill that the Super Best Friends Play Thread is going to die on.

Really, it just feels mostly like Woolie to me. I mean everyone else is receptive to the idea, but Woolie's the only one who's like "NO IT HAS TO BE KILL LA KILL!"