Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Battleships really are the future in this timeline, first they sink an entire carrier fleet with guns and then they decisively win a major surface battle in 1944 :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Banzai!

Such a strange timeline, all the glorious naval victories are actually happening!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sweet god almighty

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
A worthy offering for the decisive battle gods :black101:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Battleships really are the future in this timeline, first they sink an entire carrier fleet with guns and then they decisively win a major surface battle in 1944 :psyduck:

Can...can someone link me to when the first part happened? I must have missed it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
oh my god the decisive battle

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ChaseSP posted:

Can...can someone link me to when the first part happened? I must have missed it.

A series of major surface engagements near Milne Bay in November of '42 culminated in this. Instead of Midway, we got battleships sinking carriers in a gun duel.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

The battleship will always get through is the lesson of this insane timeline

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Would this and last battleship battle at least make Americans a bit warmer for some kind of peace?
Or would they want more blood??

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jesenjin posted:

Would this and last battleship battle at least make Americans a bit warmer for some kind of peace?

What does your heart tell you?

MORE BLOOD :911: :911: :911:

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Can we get a count of sunk capital ships for the next end-of-month update? I'm quite curious about the overall losses.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jesenjin posted:

Well every Saturday is new battleship day, so they might as well use them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Both of those battleships were outdated and the Allies probably have like 2 dozen other, better ones.

But still a rad fight :black101:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Literally already replaced.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Still, sweet jesus. This is a much bigger battleship battle than we ever had in real life.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

YES!

Generation Internet posted:

Probably another thing that's already been in the thread but I always enjoy seeing his name at the top when you sort leaders by 'aggression' in the tracker:

Also, I want to know who that crazy motherfucker Walseth is.

Turns out he didn't die til but a couple years back

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=harvey-sanborn-walseth&pid=162309535

This is the face of 95 level aggression.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 23, 2018

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Does the AI react in any way to losing battleships? Will it change strategy, or perhaps decide to complete the last two Iowas?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wonder how this'll be explained away in the papers.

hailthefish posted:

Literally already replaced.

For battleships? Actually no, they're not "already replaced." Due to the US moving over in full to carriers, there actually aren't replacements for US battleship losses (or IJN ones, for that matter), unless this game just magically gives them replacements. And, checking the list, the US has already lost half (2 of 4) of the South Dakota-class along with half (1 of 2, the second was last seen with damage) the North Carolina-class. In terms of modern battleships, the US is honestly starting to run out, having only the remainders of those two classes along with the four Iowas (not sure how the final two planned Iowas are handled in the game, nor the Montana-class, but only like one of those would be relevant before the game hard ends anyways).

Incidentally, Grey hasn't lost any of the IJN battleships yet.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
We'll have the allies at the negotiations table by the end of the month!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Also, I want to know who that crazy motherfucker Walseth is.

Seriously, I wanna know what it takes to outLeMay Curtis LeMay.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lord Koth posted:

For battleships? Actually no, they're not "already replaced." Due to the US moving over in full to carriers, there actually aren't replacements for US battleship losses (or IJN ones, for that matter), unless this game just magically gives them replacements. And, checking the list, the US has already lost half (2 of 4) of the South Dakota-class along with half (1 of 2, the second was last seen with damage) the North Carolina-class. In terms of modern battleships, the US is honestly starting to run out, having only the remainders of those two classes along with the four Iowas (not sure how the final two planned Iowas are handled in the game, nor the Montana-class, but only like one of those would be relevant before the game hard ends anyways).

I can confirm. I lost 6 battleships at Pearl and I won't ever replace that AA / torpedo sponge goodness. Battleships are worthless until you don't have any :suicide:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like that the picture for Birmingham is larger than the BBs

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like that the picture for Birmingham is larger than the BBs

The Birmingham was a good 30ish feet longer than the Nevada. Though the Colorado should be just a tad longer than the Birmingham.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 23, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Just quoting this excellent image

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gully Foyle posted:

The Birmingham was a good 30ish feet longer than the Nevada. Though the Colorado should be just a tad longer than the Birmingham.

holy poo poo i did not realize that

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This may be a weird question, but are you able to see shell expenditure per ship per battle? I'm curious as to what gunnery accuracy for the Japanese vs American ships were.

Because holy moly if it doesn't look like the Japanese BBs were deadeyes while the Americans couldn't decide what to loving shoot.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
What in the

Well, that's one way to continually ruin the careers of successive forward-thinking naval theorists, I suppose.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MA-Horus posted:

This may be a weird question, but are you able to see shell expenditure per ship per battle? I'm curious as to what gunnery accuracy for the Japanese vs American ships were.

Because holy moly if it doesn't look like the Japanese BBs were deadeyes while the Americans couldn't decide what to loving shoot.

Might be the range? I don't know poo poo about naval gunnery, roughly the same as a novice in a nunnery, but I would imagine bigger guns have greater range (and fire control)? So the fact there were 6 Japanese BBs there versus the 2 US ones would have an effect on how many shells each side was able to deliver to the other, hence the USN getting 20 shells in while the IJN got as many into a single ship.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hah, I hadn't even noticed the 6,000 yards. That was basically a knife fight.

Some radar operator hosed the gently caress up.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Might be the range? I don't know poo poo about naval gunnery, roughly the same as a novice in a nunnery, but I would imagine bigger guns have greater range (and fire control)? So the fact there were 6 Japanese BBs there versus the 2 US ones would have an effect on how many shells each side was able to deliver to the other, hence the USN getting 20 shells in while the IJN got as many into a single ship.

Grey also hasn’t lost any and has used them quite a bit. They probably have outstanding experience by this stage, and since the allies haven’t done much invasions their ships probably don’t have crazy xp from bombardments.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

goatface posted:

Hah, I hadn't even noticed the 6,000 yards. That was basically a knife fight.

Some radar operator hosed the gently caress up.

Did they maybe close because they were both confident in victory?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
How in the.. We're going to see the USN throwing the Alaska class Battlecruisers into combat at some point aren't we.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Holy poo poo 6000yds with BBs is like the WW1 Grand Fleet's wet dream, the Japanese ships would have a MASSIVE advantage in sheer volume of shellfire at that range.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The Bushido spirit!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy hell I love this

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grey has created the universe where World of Warships and/or Steel Ocean is historically accurate.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
How many rounds are left in the stores?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

At least you're plucky and adventury.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lord Koth posted:

He lost the Fuso near Efate, Jan 30 1943. I went to the spreadsheet of lucky ships to check the totals.

Allied BBs lost: Alabama, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Prince of Wales.
IJN BBs lost: Fuso

Only BC lost was the Repulse

CAs: 11 Allied lost, 4 IJN lost

CVs: 3 each

CVEs: 5 Allied, 4 IJN

CVLs: 2 each

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

He lost the Fuso near Efate, Jan 30 1943. I went to the spreadsheet of lucky ships to check the totals.

Allied BBs lost: Alabama, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Prince of Wales.

You know I was thinking there'd been a BB lost at some point, but upon checking the list I wasn't seeing it. Must have just missed Fuso.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CannonFodder posted:

That's not counting damaged (and thus probables)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Grey has created the universe where World of Warships and/or Steel Ocean is historically accurate.

I dunno, I didn't see any Japanese battleship ramming carriers after sinking everything else.

No sudoku yet, either.