Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I follow this dude on IG. This is his Alpha Guard army (and it's easily one of the most original and amazing looking armies I've ever seen). Username is Migsula.

I think if you're going to do a muted palette like that, you need to theme it well. His look really great because they have a sorta dark forest shadowy theme.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I've been watching Migsula for a while, his improvement army by army is incredible. Still can't figure how those colours are done though (Chatting to Tommie Soule, he reckons adding Khaki to usual colours is how he'd do it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Broke out my Leviathan Dread and trimmed all the mold lines. The resin seems to have a sheen to it and really makes regular super glue do a poo poo job of adhering. What is the recommendation, just sand down the areas to be glued, or is there a better epoxy?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Sounds like release agent. Have you already soaked and scrubbed the thing with soap multiple times?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sounds like release agent. Have you already soaked and scrubbed the thing with soap multiple times?

Nope, that's what I get for not reading. I'll give them a good going over later tonight, I assume regular super will work fine beyond that?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Nope, that's what I get for not reading. I'll give them a good going over later tonight, I assume regular super will work fine beyond that?

Yeah. Scrub the gently caress out of those parts. Anything shiny won't hold paint, either.

I let them soak in soapy water for an hour or two, then scrub them with a toothbrush and soap twice. Hell, even then I still sometimes get paint sloughing off. I loving hate FW resin

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten to the point where I let FW resin sit in soapy water for 24 hours before scrubbing. I then toss it into warm water again and wait a bit before inspection. Repeating the scrubbing process as necessary. Their release agent is terrible and difficult to get rid of. I know people who go all out and use sonic baths, but I'm not at that point yet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I leave em in a tub of soapy water, with enough dishsoap in there to change the color of the water, for 24 hours. I then scrub the poo poo out of them under warm water, give them a cold water bath just to rinse off any extra soap, and generally they're fine after that. Occasionally a piece will require a little more scrubbing afterwards.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am waiting to spend my Forge World money on Primaris stuff, but thanks for the prep advice.

The pilot of a Leviathan could be a Primaris marine, right?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

I leave em in a tub of soapy water, with enough dishsoap in there to change the color of the water, for 24 hours. I then scrub the poo poo out of them under warm water, give them a cold water bath just to rinse off any extra soap, and generally they're fine after that. Occasionally a piece will require a little more scrubbing afterwards.

I didn't do anything to my Suzerain...they are my only forgeworld experience.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

The pilot of a Leviathan could be a Primaris marine, right?
No. :colbert:

Uroboros posted:

I didn't do anything to my Suzerain...they are my only forgeworld experience.
Uh... have you already painted them? If not, you might want to wash them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only Forgeworld piece I've ever bought was that Necron Tomb-World board. That one wasn't really all that slick. I (tried) to soak it in the tub for a few hours, but because it's so big you can only really get one side in at any time. I ended up just scrubbing the poo poo out of it with a brush and a ton of soap.

I also have those two tech-priest enginseers coming, and i'm a little worried about them since they've got such tiny bits. Should I leave everything on the sprue while it soaks?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RagnarokAngel posted:

Plague marines are just 3 7 nurglings stacked on top of each other.

:eng101:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also, be aware, when people say "warm water", warm in this case is like, tepid.

Don't want to end up accidentally deforming it with heat.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Uh... have you already painted them? If not, you might want to wash them.

That's like 2 years to late. Came out fine.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone picked up those little pack of postcard art pieces from GW? They have the little Warhammer 40,000 30 on the left hand corners?

I just opened the pack I got from my GW. The manager told me it was all the same piece of art, but they're all different. 10 pieces total, 4 portrait, 10 landscape.

Edit: I"m talking about these. They're free at checkout, and shrinkwrapped. Should have the Crimson Fists on top. They're 4x6.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 18, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

That's like 2 years to late. Came out fine.
You must've been really lucky then. Paint just sloughs off of any release agent and I've had trouble even with scrubbed parts.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I also have those two tech-priest enginseers coming, and i'm a little worried about them since they've got such tiny bits. Should I leave everything on the sprue while it soaks?
Yes. I always leave any fiddly bits attached to their gates when I'm cleaning them. Arms, shoulder pads, hands, cables, etc. Makes it much easier to handle them though you might need to be careful with some parts.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

Has anyone picked up those little pack of postcard art pieces from GW? They have the little Warhammer 40,000 30 on the left hand corners?

I just opened the pack I got from my GW. The manager told me it was all the same piece of art, but they're all different. 10 pieces total, 4 portrait, 10 landscape.

Saw a couple of them laying on the counter last time I was in the larger store in the region. Wasn't sure if they were for a promotion or w/e so I didn't take any. Funnily none of the other stores around got any, so might snatch them up next time I'm in, all that Rogue Trader/2nd ed art is my jam.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Saw a couple of them laying on the counter last time I was in the larger store in the region. Wasn't sure if they were for a promotion or w/e so I didn't take any. Funnily none of the other stores around got any, so might snatch them up next time I'm in, all that Rogue Trader/2nd ed art is my jam.

Yeah, me too. I especially love the titans one. Ordered a frame to put a couple in above my paint station at home.

My shop had a ton. i'll see if there's any left (and if i can grab a few more) on Saturday if anyone wants one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like the three Blanche ones that came with the Plague Brethren pack.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So Felime and I had a heck of a game yesterday! It was a super bloody Guard vs. Guard affair. There were many highlights, but the most intense was when Felime ran his Knight into my lines, daring me to kill it. I obliged, and he CP'd the explode dice to make it go boom, and go boom it did!

I think there were 6-7 units of mine in the 11" he rolled for the explosion, and I'm pretty sure he rolled either a 5 or 6 at least 5 times to see how many mortal wounds were caused. This game sure gets nutty at times.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've been thinking about picking up another army and I wanted to go melee this time since my main armies are a very shooty-heavy SM army for 40k and Iron Warriors for 30k. I've never played a Tyranid force before (hell, I think I've only ever played against them maybe three times in my life). To that end, I have questions:

1) The new codex is likely to make some units much better for certain Hive Fleets the same way that bikes are better for White Scars or Raptors are better for Night Lords. Since we don't know what the bonuses will be for the Hive Fleets, what are some units that are likely to be good no matter what? My instinct is to say that the core Troops choices of Hormi/Terma, Stealers, and Warriors are of course always going to be solid picks, but outside of that I have no idea.

2) Conversely, what's god-awful currently? In previous editions this was pretty clear.

3) I may not in fact want to paint a billion tiny space bugs but I can't think of any low model count melee armies. Maybe the Grey Knights, but there are a lot of those around here and I'd rather not. Is there an army that I'm forgetting that does low model count melee?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone happen to have this in higher res? I'm honestly not sure where else it has been used outside of a few old GW catalogs.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Woah panascope got a promotion

I'm mad I'm slow to get here and missed making this joke on your behalf.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PantsOptional posted:

I've been thinking about picking up another army and I wanted to go melee this time since my main armies are a very shooty-heavy SM army for 40k and Iron Warriors for 30k. I've never played a Tyranid force before (hell, I think I've only ever played against them maybe three times in my life). To that end, I have questions:

1) The new codex is likely to make some units much better for certain Hive Fleets the same way that bikes are better for White Scars or Raptors are better for Night Lords. Since we don't know what the bonuses will be for the Hive Fleets, what are some units that are likely to be good no matter what? My instinct is to say that the core Troops choices of Hormi/Terma, Stealers, and Warriors are of course always going to be solid picks, but outside of that I have no idea.

2) Conversely, what's god-awful currently? In previous editions this was pretty clear.

3) I may not in fact want to paint a billion tiny space bugs but I can't think of any low model count melee armies. Maybe the Grey Knights, but there are a lot of those around here and I'd rather not. Is there an army that I'm forgetting that does low model count melee?

Core troops are always a solid pick to start. A Hive Tyrant or Tervigon are likely good HQ choices, though Malanthropes are a solid default currently especially for low point games.

There's not too much that's god-awful currently, so much as eclipsed by other units. The Maleceptor is one of the only things that currently jumps out as bad. I happen to like the alternate kit model the Toxicrene quite a bit, especially if you want melee.

You can go melee low-model count with Nids very easily by way if Carnifices, Trygons, Warriors, and/or Genestealers. Basically almost every Monster is capable of solid melee and you only have to eschew a few unit types to flip the switch from horde to Nidzilla.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I don't even think think the maleceptor is that bad anymore, it's not great but it still has an invuln and D6 damage talons, plus it smites easier. Optimal choice? No. Completely irredeemable like it was last edition? Not that either.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Uroboros posted:

It's often worth making little criss cross scores with your knife against the contact points of big pieces going together, especially in the torso. The cuts will give the glue more surface area to adhere to and will stick better than just huge flat areas.

3mm magnets will fit nicely in the pivot point above the elbow but you'll probably want N50 ones to hold the arms firmly. You may also want to leave the arms off completely while you're painting it, there is a lot of detail behind the frontal armour plating that's hard to get to with a gigantic shoulder in the way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished these guys the other day.

Moving on to Incubi and these Finecast kits are a nightmare.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Potential BFF posted:

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone happen to have this in higher res? I'm honestly not sure where else it has been used outside of a few old GW catalogs.

Through the magic of waifu2x anything is possible

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hencoe posted:

I don't even think think the maleceptor is that bad anymore, it's not great but it still has an invuln and D6 damage talons, plus it smites easier. Optimal choice? No. Completely irredeemable like it was last edition? Not that either.

Still not great compared to Zoanthropes for your smiting needs. The opportunity cost ain't there.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

LordAba posted:

Still not great compared to Zoanthropes for your smiting needs. The opportunity cost ain't there.

I agree, it's just a big body that can smite easier and get the D6 easier. Mass biovores is probably a better way at getting out mortal wounds as it is.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Hasn't there been some rumor of a restriction on the amount of smiting you can do with chapter approved? I've heard a few times that GW considers smite spam to be an issue. I feel like that might be worth factoring into model purchasing decisions.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
For priming fleshy poo poo like poxwalkers do you prefer black, grey, or white

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

Hasn't there been some rumor of a restriction on the amount of smiting you can do with chapter approved? I've heard a few times that GW considers smite spam to be an issue. I feel like that might be worth factoring into model purchasing decisions.

Scuttlebutt around NOVA was that they would be limiting it to 3 castings of Smite a turn. Personally I think it should just follow the same once per turn limitation other powers have but I don't play psyker-heavy armies so I'm probably horribly biased.

Hencoe posted:

I agree, it's just a big body that can smite easier and get the D6 easier. Mass biovores is probably a better way at getting out mortal wounds as it is.

Biovores also make maneuvering for your opponent a real upward battle. Having to drive around those dumb mines all the time made for a really tactical game at NOVA.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Deathleaper is worth it for the -2 to hit alone, not to mention pinpoint accurate deepstrike.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

prime everything black

always

never compromise

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

goose willis posted:

Depends on the main color of the flesh - but I'd recommend Saint Duncan's method for poxwalkers, it's really quick and gives a very nice result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUrPLOG6O4

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

It's often worth making little criss cross scores with your knife against the contact points of big pieces going together, especially in the torso. The cuts will give the glue more surface area to adhere to and will stick better than just huge flat areas.

3mm magnets will fit nicely in the pivot point above the elbow but you'll probably want N50 ones to hold the arms firmly. You may also want to leave the arms off completely while you're painting it, there is a lot of detail behind the frontal armour plating that's hard to get to with a gigantic shoulder in the way.

After a cleaning it went together fine. Sub-assembled the torso and legs, magnetized arms and waist guns, and left head off for ease of painting. Going to hit it with both black and Maccrage spray tomorrow and hopefully get to drybrushing. Next question is to the ideal way to paint a smurf Leviathon. Also still waiting on my dragonforge base.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Scuttlebutt around NOVA was that they would be limiting it to 3 castings of Smite a turn. Personally I think it should just follow the same once per turn limitation other powers have but I don't play psyker-heavy armies so I'm probably horribly biased.

I maintain my position that modifying die rolls would be a better method. Subtract half the power difficulty from each subsequent Psychic Test.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the answer is to bring back the mishap table. multiple castings may result in your psyker being ripped from reality and dragged into the warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well then, I did not know that was a thing. Thank you!