Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

So which of the calamities was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

OddObserver posted:

Eikoin, or possibly Dollarmud.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

OddObserver posted:

A massive consumption of Lightning-aspected aether shifted the balance towards Ice, so the Fifth.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You can see it fly around in the areas after the First Beast and before Terminus Bellweather. It's honesty sort of tiny compared to the scale of the city.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

OddObserver posted:

The reason that Xande needed all the energy to open a portal to the void was so he could buy VoidCoin, as offered to him by the Coin of Darkness

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
allagan tomestones of nonfungability

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I can't believe crypto mining caused the Flood

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khloe hearing some idiots pitch for replacing catbook stamps with NFTs and just being like "gee that's a real great story mister but I'm sticking with my seals because they're real"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/trustinsighters/status/1465302610764828676?t=Omb-oVCO8IHEBnxB6AG44g

(In case you're unsure, When It Rains is the quest that takes place during Eulmore's attack on the Crystarium.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is that basically the move she used to end the fight with the Warriors of Darkness back in Heavensward patches?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm not sure. My assumption was that they were basically the same, at least lore-wise if not mechanically.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Double post, but Pint (a former WoW content creator that's now playing FFXIV) finished Heavensward and decided to take all of the various things he's seen and heard and use them to predict Stormblood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Erq9bzMUM

It's impressive how both wrong and right he is.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Onean posted:

Double post, but Pint (a former WoW content creator that's now playing FFXIV) finished Heavensward and decided to take all of the various things he's seen and heard and use them to predict Stormblood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Erq9bzMUM

It's impressive how both wrong and right he is.

This is a thing of beauty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish Yugiri was that important.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I absolutely want to see President Nero.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It really is impressive how he basically guessed the overall shape of the story, but every individual detail was still wildly wrong

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mister Olympus posted:

It really is impressive how he basically guessed the overall shape of the story, but every individual detail was still wildly wrong

That's basically how most of the expansions have gone, honestly. You could've easily guessed the general shape of Shadowbringers, Stormblood, and Heavensward, it's the specifics that screw you in predictions. FFXIV likes to take some wild jumps to land exactly where you first thought it would.

Heavensward is perhaps the perfect example. It ending with a Pope Fight I consider such a non-twist that it's not even a spoiler, but the fact that Pope Fight happens by him embodying the spirit of an ancient god-king in an (entirely unrelated) ancient floating continent's laboratory while powered by a dragon's eye is... well, that's the hard part to guess.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Heavensward is perhaps the perfect example. It ending with a Pope Fight I consider such a non-twist that it's not even a spoiler, but the fact that Pope Fight happens by him embodying the spirit of an ancient god-king in an (entirely unrelated) ancient floating continent's laboratory while powered by a dragon's eye is... well, that's the hard part to guess.

I also think they deserve a lot of credit for having Thordan immediately tell you "hey, so, the ascians are trying to manipulate me, just thought you should know". It's so pleasantly surprising that it made me think that the story wasn't actually going to have a pope fight. Then there's a pope fight.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pigbuster posted:

I also think they deserve a lot of credit for having Thordan immediately tell you "hey, so, the ascians are trying to manipulate me, just thought you should know". It's so pleasantly surprising that it made me think that the story wasn't actually going to have a pope fight. Then there's a pope fight.

similarly, the fact that they played the ironworks theme a few times for exarch interactions made me think "okay it's not g'raha and this is a subtle hint at how it's Alternate Cid or something" then it was g'raha but the ironworks were involved by building an Alexander to send the crystal tower into the past

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mister Olympus posted:

similarly, the fact that they played the ironworks theme a few times for exarch interactions made me think "okay it's not g'raha and this is a subtle hint at how it's Alternate Cid or something" then it was g'raha but the ironworks were involved by building an Alexander to send the crystal tower into the past

Not just Alexander, also Omega since it needed Omega's dimension-hopping to go to a different shard and the past

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pigbuster posted:

In review, I think that's the main reason I'm against the whole 'Lahabrea isn't actually dead' theory, be it linked to Pandaemonium or just a general desire to unearth potential future reveals.

Lahabrea being alive would undo the best part of Thordan's whole story; that he was so aware of the Ascians' bullshit that he was able to get one over on them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 30, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

In review, I think that's the main reason I'm against the whole 'Lahabrea isn't actually dead' theory, be it linked to Pandaemonium or just a general desire to unearth potential future reveals.

Lahabrea being alive would undo the best part of Thordan's whole story; that he was so aware of the Ascians' bullshit that he was able to get one over on them.

I mean, he still got one over on Lahabrea. Dude has been out of commission for two whole expansions and the place he's showing up is at best likely related to the lifestream/afterlife.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Cleretic posted:

That really is one of the best bits of Heavensward. You spend time going "You loving idiot, you aren't going to get one over the Ascians, they are immortal super wizards".

And then he does. Unfortunately his plan was "turn into a primal near the person who beats up primals" but still! He got an unsundered!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I don't think they've planned out Pandemonium (or even the general outline of Shadowbringers) back in ARR, but I am curious about what's going on with Lahabrea because even back then he had other Ascians complaining about him doing his own thing and accidentally bragging about his plans in front of Elidibus before getting corrected about them all serving Zodiark.

This is basically post hoc fillings in the blanks imo but I trust they'll make it interesting.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hey maybe I知 super late to the party but I watched the 1.0 trailer and saw somebody interesting show up

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, it's great.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They dug deep to have a lot of these tiny things become nod forwards. It's great.

It's obvious it wasn't planned but they knew people were going to dig for any hints to speculate on and made the most of it. It's great when the writers know how to write.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It is a little odd that this old trailer got uploaded now, just leading into Endwalker, and I've seen people theorizing that maybe it means something. Mostly the people who REALLY want Silvertear Lake to still be important.

Mostly I'm just approving of this because this video was actually getting kinda hard to find. When I had to download it for my lore videos, I had to go with a reupload from a German-language gaming site. (Weirdly, not even the first time I had to turn to German gaming sites for those videos.)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

thetoughestbean posted:

Hey maybe I知 super late to the party but I watched the 1.0 trailer and saw somebody interesting show up

Everyone in Ardbert's party is someone from WoL's party in 1.0 trailer. Even levequest giver shows up.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 30, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/zerosshadows/status/1465519562120740868?t=pdZ3XqwRXbF_jpbQGcpC7A

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So here痴 what I知 wondering - do you all think the ending of Endwalker be seen as controversial by a substantial number of players?

Like, every expansion has come people who find the ending controversial, but I知 so curious to see if they really gently caress with us in Endwalker.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So here痴 what I知 wondering - do you all think the ending of Endwalker be seen as controversial by a substantial number of players?

Like, every expansion has come people who find the ending controversial, but I知 so curious to see if they really gently caress with us in Endwalker.

It's the only expansion where going in I'm nervous that it's going to be bad, in the case that I will no longer enjoy the story. Zenos is a massive albatross around it's neck that I don't know if they can write in a way I will enjoy. what Onean just posted being one of my fears. So yeah I think there's a good chance of being personally unsatisfied with this expansion in way that I haven't felt before. As well just...when has a long lasting story had a good ending recently?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mordiceius posted:

I don't think they're going to do something unexpected for a Final Fantasy game. The thing I wonder is how they're going to make this feel like an 'End' since the game has to continue from here as well. Traditionally, FF games have kinda stumbled on sequels. Of course, sequels have generally involved Nomura at the helm, not Yoshida.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

It was extremely bold of the writers to kill off all the Scions, Zodiark and Hydaelyn and the Convocation of 14 (several times in some cases) so that the WoL could just hang out with Zenos and be best fighting friends forever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

It was extremely bold of the writers to kill off all the Scions, Zodiark and Hydaelyn and the Convocation of 14 (several times in some cases) so that the WoL could just hang out with Zenos and be best fighting friends forever.

:vomarine:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I unironically hope we have to team up with Zenos at some point and I'll be hyped as hell if we do

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

For all the joking about Our Pal Zenos in dev talk and marketing the in-game stuff has never had the WoL regard Zenos as anything but a danger to everything they care about. I'm not too worried on that.

That said I wouldn't mind a temporary team up under the right circumstances. There's no way he's making it out of 6.0's climax alive anyway, so we might as well get some use out of him. Plus it'd be completely out of character for him to try and stab you in the back so that'd be one way to neutralize the threat for a while.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

get this:

zenos roleplay duty

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

Hey maybe I’m super late to the party but I watched the 1.0 trailer and saw somebody interesting show up

Okay, it doesn't look like I'll get everything leveled in time, can someone point me to a good summary of what we learn when all the role quests are done in ShB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

^^^

The elf maid in the Crystarium (Cylva) was the Shadowkeeper and also the companion of the WoLs. She was basically a precursor to the WoD plan Elidibus had in HW, except transferred from the 13th to the 1st. The original plan seemed to be to elevate herself as a secret villain, reveal that and get herself killed to cause a rejoining. The WoLs defeat and spare her but kill two Asicans (from the Eden raids) instead, which overdid the Light calamity. She's basically also a ghost wizard now since she's an echo-haver that abandoned original body to world hop, which is why she's still around after 100 years looking the same. She reveals this if you complete the role quests and basically says "fite me" to try to commit suicide by WoL, you refuse and that's basically the end except for the Void quest after.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 30, 2021