Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FulsomFrank posted:

Still think that if you've got 6 and are excited about SidCon that you should try and play some Civ/MC/WE because the whole experience is just god-tier and the trading is some of the most fun you'll have in gaming. The time commitment is much larger of course but you can always call it after X hours and in fact, until people are comfortable with the mechanics, I would recommend just doing a half game or so anyway as a learning opportunity.

I enjoyed my game of SidCon at 4 but when I can I plan on getting a much larger group of people together to try it and really see how it plays.

Whats Civ/MC/WE ? (I'm guessing Civilization.... A game about Escher and.... Wingspan EXTREEM?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

!Klams posted:

Whats Civ/MC/WE ? (I'm guessing Civilization.... A game about Escher and.... Wingspan EXTREEM?)

I think it's Civilization/Mega Civilization/Western Empires

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Can you get WE anywhere anymore?

I'm pretty sure it was only ever available for sale direct from the publisher, but you can still buy it right now.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

xiw posted:

Picked up the Space Base expansion since we've been playing quite a bit of it recently:

Turned out to be addictive enough that we played 5 or so games in a row to get through all the mini-legacy content and unlock the Mystery Boxes in one evening. That group don't normally get into legacy stuff so it was a nice change.

Also got a game of Genotype in since it finally showed up from KS for the hosts - interesting but I felt like you needed to spend far too much time staring at everyone else's available plant cards to make decisions, which are small / not very distinguishable text on small cards. The difference between checking whether someone else had a tt vs tT card up or not is easily 20 points during the game.

How does Space Base compare to something like Valeria Card Kingdoms? They look pretty similar and my family enjoys Valeria but I wasn't sure if it's worth getting Space Base as well.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Impermanent posted:

Can you get WE anywhere anymore?

https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/western-empires?_pos=1&_sid=c3fd260c2&_ss=r

Not cheap. Unsure if they're doing a pre-order or something with Eastern Empires coming up that would be less expensive but honestly after shipping and duties this seems pretty close to what my friend paid for his copy (as far as I can remember).

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I want to give a 2p game as a gift to someone who plays board games, but tops out at Monopoly currently.

So I'm looking for something rules light, plays well at 2, and has a decent replay value. I'm thinking maybe Kingdomino, Jaipur, and or maaaaybe Targi. Always welcome to hear other in stock suggestions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Patchwork or Carcassonne. Tile laying and building something are great hooks and both of those games also have plenty of depth and teeth.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Patchwork or Carcassonne. Tile laying and building something are great hooks and both of those games also have plenty of depth and teeth.

Seconding Carc. My wife, who is not a fan of games really, has played over a hundred games of it with me. It's great 2p, and you can even play it nice and happy, or you can go full cutthroat.

"Oh, it's going to be one of those kinds of games, huh?" *puts the double sized meeple in a city two tiles from your city*

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

nordichammer posted:

I want to give a 2p game as a gift to someone who plays board games, but tops out at Monopoly currently.

So I'm looking for something rules light, plays well at 2, and has a decent replay value. I'm thinking maybe Kingdomino, Jaipur, and or maaaaybe Targi. Always welcome to hear other in stock suggestions.

Go
Air land and sea
Kingdomino
Targi

Would be my picks

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Sweet, thanks for the quick responses. Always good to have the memory jogged.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Seconding Patchwork as a solid 2p game with lots of replay value.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Other than what has already been suggested, my wife loves Welcome to... and Lost Cities.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I gave a only very occasional gamer friend Targi as a birthday gift last year and she enjoyed it so that's +1 anecdotal recommendation for that from me

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

nordichammer posted:

Mandala might be a nice choice, or Air Land and Sea. I love the idea of Targi but the graphic design looks a little dated now compared to more moden games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Targi is also text heavy on top of rules and iconography load. I’ve had people struggle with it so I wouldn’t give it as a gift unless I was there to teach for the first play as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Azul isn't specifically 2P but works great at that player count on top of being easy to learn and looking great.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I was also going to recommend Patchwork.

Our most played 2p game is actually Wingspan, which is an easy game to learn and well balanced for two (aside from the ravens).

I actually think Targi is less complicated than Carcassonne. Both will be kind of a novel experience for someone who has just played department store games, but I think either is pretty easy to learn. I like Jaipur but it's very simple and we mostly play that when we're drunk and want to yell "CAMELS!!!"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 30, 2021

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nordichammer posted:

Blokus is a great 2p abstract.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Verno5x posted:

How does Space Base compare to something like Valeria Card Kingdoms? They look pretty similar and my family enjoys Valeria but I wasn't sure if it's worth getting Space Base as well.

Sorry, haven't played that - Space Base looks marginally simpler at first glance so it doesn't seem like a great upgrade - but on the other hand we really enjoyed the space base minilegacy campaign if you like that kind of thing.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Ganz Schon Clever and the like play great at 2. All the roll and writes work well at that number.

We really enjoyed The Crew at 2 and not just out of necessity. You play with a quasi dummy hand. I think in the end we played close to 80 hands, and now my wife plays with randos on BGA whenever she has a chance.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

nordichammer posted:

Go with a Roll and Write. Whichever one has a theme they would get on with the best (Cartographers, Railroad Inc, or whatever)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Still think that if you've got 6 and are excited about SidCon that you should try and play some Civ/MC/WE because the whole experience is just god-tier and the trading is some of the most fun you'll have in gaming. The time commitment is much larger of course but you can always call it after X hours and in fact, until people are comfortable with the mechanics, I would recommend just doing a half game or so anyway as a learning opportunity.

I enjoyed my game of SidCon at 4 but when I can I plan on getting a much larger group of people together to try it and really see how it plays.

I've played all my Sidcon games at 6 and it is excellent but really think about your table geometry. It takes up a lot of space and if your table in long and thin you'll end up with people who can't communicate easily.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

taser rates posted:

Blokus is a great 2p abstract.

We've been playing loads of 2p Blokus over the most recent lockdown. 2 colours each works great (there's a first mover advantage but you can come up with offsets if you're evenly matched). It plays pretty fast and feels like it has a lot of depth.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Azul isn't specifically 2P but works great at that player count on top of being easy to learn and looking great.
seconding Azul

I think Flamme Rouge - also not a specific 2P game but works just fine for two - is the easiest game to teach. First person to get to the finish line wins! What could be easier?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

nordichammer posted:

I'll throw in a recommendation for Nova Luna. It's strictly very good at 2p and it's even better than Patchwork, imo.

e: vvvvvv you're right, I misremembered, my bad

theroachman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 30, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

theroachman posted:

I'll throw in a recommendation for Nova Luna. It's strictly 2p and it's even better than Patchwork, imo.

Nova Luna may be best with 2, but it plays up to 4.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Did anyone say Unmatched yet because I love that game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

theroachman posted:

I'll throw in a recommendation for Nova Luna. It's strictly 2p and it's even better than Patchwork, imo.

We wore out Nova Luna really quick with two and went back to Patchwork. The lack of button economy really hurts the design even though the spatial puzzle is a little more engaging.

For 3-4 though I do like it more than Azul.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 30, 2021

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

I've played all my Sidcon games at 6 and it is excellent but really think about your table geometry. It takes up a lot of space and if your table in long and thin you'll end up with people who can't communicate easily.

The footprint at 4 was nuts so I can imagine. I find a lot of games are very sprawly these days. 1867 nearly consumed an entire farm-style table that can sit ten or so people comfortably.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

The footprint at 4 was nuts so I can imagine. I find a lot of games are very sprawly these days. 1867 nearly consumed an entire farm-style table that can sit ten or so people comfortably.

Speaking of farmstyle tables, I'm looking for a 44" inch wide, 6 ft long table to use as a board game table. Don't need all the fancy poo poo, just a table :). I'm in the US. Anyone seen/know anything?

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

Mojo Jojo posted:

Go with a Roll and Write. Whichever one has a theme they would get on with the best (Cartographers, Railroad Inc, or whatever)

I actually don't have a Roll and Write in my collection yet. Any recommendations for one to pick up?

Mayveena posted:

Speaking of farmstyle tables, I'm looking for a 44" inch wide, 6 ft long table to use as a board game table. Don't need all the fancy poo poo, just a table :). I'm in the US. Anyone seen/know anything?

I bought my table at Ikea. It has 2 leaves that store inside the table so it can go from a square that seats 4 to a long rectangle that you can fit 8-10 at. It's cheap, but does the trick when you're also using it to double as a dining room table back when we had people over.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Verno5x posted:

I actually don't have a Roll and Write in my collection yet. Any recommendations for one to pick up?

Railroad Ink is the best of the lot so far IMO. It feels more like an actual spatial puzzle with push your luck than just a numbers placement game or a check box cookie clicker game. It even has a good bit of player interaction if you draft the dice.

Super Skill Pinball 4Cade is also pretty solid and has 2 of the 4 tables available for free pnp:

https://wizkids.com/super-skill-pinball-4-cade/

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Verno5x posted:

It's not exactly a Roland Wright but Karuba has an almost unprecedented 100% hit rate with everyone I've ever introduced it to. Just really top notch. As far as more traditional ones go we also really like Welcome to... and Second Chance. Second Chance is also another one that inevitably gets played several times back to back.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Mayveena posted:

If you have a little extra cash, check the Facebook marketplace for local woodcrafters or carpenters. We had a custom built counter-height table where the top can be removed, making it perfect for board games and poker while also being a nice dinner table. It’s also a gorgeous piece of wood and metal. Worth every penny.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aggro posted:

If you have a little extra cash, check the Facebook marketplace for local woodcrafters or carpenters. We had a custom built counter-height table where the top can be removed, making it perfect for board games and poker while also being a nice dinner table. It’s also a gorgeous piece of wood and metal. Worth every penny.

Good idea thanks.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Verno5x posted:

Not technically a roll and write (it uses cards instead of dice) but I'm digging cartographers

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Slimy Hog posted:

Not technically a roll and write (it uses cards instead of dice) but I'm digging cartographers

yeah both of these have been huge hits for us, and the fact that they play 6+ trivially is great.

Recommend playing cartographers where you have access to kids colouring stashes, the resulting maps are great.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Aramoro posted:

I've played Sidcon at 6-7-8-9 and it's great but you basically need to be playing somewhere you have space for everyone to get up from the table and walk around while trading - I can't imagine playing it at more than 4-5 with everyone staying seated.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

xiw posted:

yeah both of these have been huge hits for us, and the fact that they play 6+ trivially is great.

Recommend playing cartographers where you have access to kids colouring stashes, the resulting maps are great.

I already liked the way the maps end up looking so that's a superb idea. I'm gonna bring out my son's coloring stuff next time we play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Megasabin posted:

Most people say Cuba Libre. What I would honestly tell you though is that there are now people making COIN-like games that are far better designed than COIN. I would much rather play Pax Pamir 2E than any COIN game. They aren't exactly the same, but they scratch the same itch for me. Hell, I don't even like Root, but I'd rather play that than a COIN game.

Imo newer games have been able to extract the essence of the COIN games and leave behind their rather fiddly and convoluted designs.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Colonial Twilight was my first and only COIN and it felt accessible to someone with no experience in the series.

The End posted:

A Distant Plain is still a great time. Cuba Libre is a good intro COIN. Fire in the Lake is amazing but pretty massive.

COIN is at its best for people wanting a big, long consim.

Tekopo posted:

I think Colonial Twilight is probably the best one to get into the series, since it's only two player but still plays well, and is about a conflict well suited to the system.

Ty all, I'm not a huge Root fan but will definitely check out Pax Pamir. I like fiddly stuff that's simulationesque so I figured COIN might be interesting to me, but wasn't sure if there was a best intro. I'll check out Cuba Libre though if I get a chance.