Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've been informed a zillion old games source codes have been leaked on GitHub.

Historical Sources

I feel a reflexive desire to download all of it, only to realize I have no idea what to do with any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel a reflexive desire to download all of it, only to realize I have no idea what to do with any of it.

It looks like it's all assembly code so if you're not a meganerd I suppose you could mine it for funny comments

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Historical Sources

Where is the best place (blog/twitter account) to read about what's been discovered? Is there a hashtag that I can look up?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s absolutely Scott miller leaking this stuff

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have theories about where the 3D Realms stuff is coming from, and I don't think Scott factors into them. If it's who I think it is, though, they should probably be a bit more careful - only a few people would have access to that stuff...

All the other stuff, though? Search me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really, really liked Severed Steel. Its also a game that was basically designed for me top to bottom.

If you find the controls a little stiff I recommend turning on the modifier "flow like water". This has the side effect of making the game tremendously easier so then you can raise the difficulty and it goes back to feeling "right" if that makes sense.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Historical Sources

Historical Source isn't new but it is pretty neat, and MK2 arcade was on there new today, along with some Sierra adventure games.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 28, 2022

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Kins posted:

I have theories about where the 3D Realms stuff is coming from, and I don't think Scott factors into them. If it's who I think it is, though, they should probably be a bit more careful - only a few people would have access to that stuff...

All the other stuff, though? Search me.

Do you think it's GeorgeB3DR, or Fred?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey does Dusk have a demo? I had an idea to troubleshoot my problems in the demo without having to worry about time but I wonder if I can't access it because it disappears from the library on purchase like the cultic demo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey does Dusk have a demo? I had an idea to troubleshoot my problems in the demo without having to worry about time but I wonder if I can't access it because it disappears from the library on purchase like the cultic demo

Dusk seems to not use Steam DRM so you can just launch it from the folder, with steam off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serephina posted:

Dusk seems to not use Steam DRM so you can just launch it from the folder, with steam off.

No idea how much help you've been ty

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Any other bad GZDoom defaults I should be aware of?
Under compatibility options, make it so enemies can still see you with partial invisibility on - they absolutely can see you in vanilla, so best not to get used to the wrong behavior.

I'm not sure what category this is under anymore, but there's a setting for light-amp visor that defaults to tinting the entire screen green and making enemies grayscale; "night vision" or something. Turn that poo poo off.

The rest is largely down to taste - hell, the invisibility one is, really, I just think forcing that night vision mode on everyone is rude.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Kermit the Frog in Half-Life 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvSQV1SL7f8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnit jim henson where is episode 3

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
guy who's been dead for 30 years has as good a chance at making ep 3 as valve at this point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're gonna release the oranger box with portal 3 and tf3

e: I watched the civvie vid on hl despite playing it in the last month or so and becaues my time is valueless and I kinda like the guy. What's the movie/show where he's correctly complaining about how much interloper is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4&t=3095s

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 28, 2022

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I know this is preaching to the choir, but the Switch port of Dusk is so good.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Narcissus1916 posted:

Does it use the g sensors so you can flip while jumping?

slapstick surgery
Aug 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're gonna release the oranger box with portal 3 and tf3

e: I watched the civvie vid on hl despite playing it in the last month or so and becaues my time is valueless and I kinda like the guy. What's the movie/show where he's correctly complaining about how much interloper is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4&t=3095s

That's the music video for Moby's Natural Blues.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dusk on switch is such an insanely good idea that despite already having it on PC, I could see it being a purchase. Then again I'm the weirdo that liked the metroid prime hunters demo too

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
congrats to AMC Squad episode 4 (formerly AMC TC) for making it to the IndieDB top ten alongside other boomer shooter contenders like Nightmare Reaper, Prodeus, and Turbo Overkill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLqIp3PJpI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Picked up Dark Forces 2 because I remembered playing it at an independent computer store back in the 90s where they had demo comps out and as a kid star wars and FPS games seemed like a match made in heaven but after playing it for 20 minutes I think I owe the stormtroopers a huge apology. I understand perfectly why they couldn't hit a god drat thing. Just ignore that crosshair, god knows your blaster will

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1608526585002622977

Doh, didn't see the tweet window cuts off the text.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 29, 2022

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lmao

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Not really a shooter, but; I got myself Northern Journey for Christmas and played the first couple of levels.

Thoughts so far: very good, deliberately strange, can strongly recommend. A mash-up of Clive Barker's Undying, Dear Esther and Cruelty Squad. Reminds me of being stoned at my friend's house aged 15 and playing Morrowind on his dad's work PC. Surprisingly funny! Check it out if you haven't already.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mousepractice posted:

Not really a shooter, but; I got myself Northern Journey for Christmas and played the first couple of levels.

Thoughts so far: very good, deliberately strange, can strongly recommend. A mash-up of Clive Barker's Undying, Dear Esther and Cruelty Squad. Reminds me of being stoned at my friend's house aged 15 and playing Morrowind on his dad's work PC. Surprisingly funny! Check it out if you haven't already.
Doesn't it have giant spiders? That's a nope for me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mousepractice posted:

I love this description.

I'm buying this immediately. :allears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s interesting. Very janky.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Northern Journey rules. It’s a fun and great-looking game despite also being janky and ugly. It oozes atmosphere and keeps mixing things up all the way through. It isn’t really a “retro fps” I guess but it’s low poly and you run fast and hop around and explore and shoot stuff. The guy who made it obviously liked Half-Life at least. It never got boring for me.

The other end of that is that you’re probably gonna die a lot in weird ways which the game seems to want to humiliate you about. Save often.

It also has a large number of different types of repulsive giant insects and other awful monsters. They are satisfying to kill but will probably also kill you sometimes. The ticks in the witch swamp are particularly loving horrific.

It’s also on sale. $7.79 for a maybe 10 hour game

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 30, 2022

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

anilEhilated posted:

Doesn't it have giant spiders? That's a nope for me.

Yeah, it's literally crawling with unsettling invertebrate enemies. Something about the low-tech atmosphere and pacing makes this very effective - the first combat encounter is giant spiders, and while I'm not remotely arachnophobic still found it intimidating! Horrible giant leeches in the forest level also. Great stuff.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s interesting. Very janky.

Jank as all hell but that's a big part of the charm.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I hopped back into Skyrim VR after a long break, and had completely forgotten about the niches in some cave roofs that spawn man-size (or bigger) spiders to drop down before you in full scuttling 3D-o-vision.

My neighbour will have been wondering who the FUCKER!! was :o:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

started up a another playthrough of cultic, this time on very hard, because as it turns out it's a very good game and getting through each encounter by the skin of my teeth is a rush

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Custom Difficulty settings have moved out of beta for Cultic, the infinite ammo setting breaks the game exactly as much as you would expeft

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

started up a another playthrough of cultic, this time on very hard, because as it turns out it's a very good game and getting through each encounter by the skin of my teeth is a rush

Yeah Hard's too easy for me at this point too. And honestly I didn't die once in very hard either; knowing every single enemy location and prefiring as you round corners will do that. Extreme is p hard still though! (I guess there might have been environmental deaths, especially on mines from kick jumping at 100 mph but I don't count those)

Though it might be a three way tie between dusk, Amid Evil and Cultic at this point where my favorite is whichever I played last.

I think I'm returning Dark forces 2 tbh or at least saving it for a future date. It's fine, but not what I expected. I still can't get over how finicky the aim is. I guess it was meant to be played with AA on

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah Hard's too easy for me at this point too. And honestly I didn't die once in very hard either; knowing every single enemy location and prefiring as you round corners will do that. Extreme is p hard still though! (I guess there might have been environmental deaths, especially on mines from kick jumping at 100 mph but I don't count those)

Though it might be a three way tie between dusk, Amid Evil and Cultic at this point where my favorite is whichever I played last.

I think I'm returning Dark forces 2 tbh or at least saving it for a future date. It's fine, but not what I expected. I still can't get over how finicky the aim is. I guess it was meant to be played with AA on

Are you playing it with OpenJKDF2? The original binaries don't work very well on modern Windows and it's a pain to play, but the new source port is :discourse:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is is so cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFedA46VJCI

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

game where you control a succession of disposable mooks as they try to stop or even slow down a murder machine FPS protagonist would be cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

game where you control a succession of disposable mooks as they try to stop or even slow down a murder machine FPS protagonist would be cool.

Might I interest you in the classic Microsoft FPS, Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64? One of the modes, Counter-Agent, has player 1 playing as Joanna and player 2 able to control the mooks trying desperately to stop Joanna

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Might I interest you in the classic Microsoft FPS, Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64? One of the modes, Counter-Agent, has player 1 playing as Joanna and player 2 able to control the mooks trying desperately to stop Joanna

I missed out on the n64 era due to Circumstances. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Convex posted:

Are you playing it with OpenJKDF2? The original binaries don't work very well on modern Windows and it's a pain to play, but the new source port is :discourse:

I'm playing it on steam. I figured, hey 2 bucks

e: might switch it for project warlock. Gonna comb the thread see if anyone's mentioned it. It's a small (but surprisingly strong) genre so Im sure thye have

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 30, 2022