Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or the simple tautological variation: If you can read this, I am not wearing a jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Self critical: If you can read this, I'm an idiot riding in only a t-shirt.

I would buy that in an XL and wear it over leathers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Or the simple tautological variation: If you can read this, I am not wearing a jacket.

"If you can read this, you can read."

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The existential: "Why are you reading this?"

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
That would lead to some bad target fixation

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The true existentialist: "Why?"

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"Loud text saves lives"

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ride naked and tattoo it on to your back.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Boru posted:

where along the path of adulthood do people lose the ability to be respectful for others' property?

Age 10, apparently. The little hellions are always looking to upgrade...

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/03/29/cops-10-year-old-charged-with-felony-after-stealing-tricycle/

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Spiffness posted:

"Loud text saves lives"

This needs to be on a hi-viz jacket so bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kylej posted:

The true existentialist: "Why?"

With matching existensialist sports exhaust. Ceci
n'est pas une loud pipe.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

"Loud text saves lives"

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=485

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's a guy on a harley around here who has the standard fringed denim vest. It's just a normal denim jacket with the arms cut off, except it's fluorescent yellow and says "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW" and it's sewn (or worn, maybe) over his leather jacket. Pretty cool cat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:italy:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm torn between keeping my ugly Ninjette and riding it into the ground, or offloading it this coming summer and picking up a 1st gen SV. Apparently I'd only have to chip in a few hundred on top of what I sell the 250 for to get one in good condition.

I'm a motorcycle-only household and I plan to be doing the occasional trackday every month or two.

Now that I type it out, the SV seems like the obvious choice. Enable me, goons.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

AncientTV posted:

I'm torn between keeping my ugly Ninjette and riding it into the ground, or offloading it this coming summer and picking up a 1st gen SV. Apparently I'd only have to chip in a few hundred on top of what I sell the 250 for to get one in good condition.

I'm a motorcycle-only household and I plan to be doing the occasional trackday every month or two.

I have a 1st gen SV, and it gives me a boner.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Get a 2nd gen! No carb bs to deal with!

Once you convert to the church of injection, you'll never wanna go back.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
A second gen would be out of my budget, and I actually ferociously loathe enjoy fiddling with carbs :downs:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
If you're motorcycle only how you gonna get all your stuff to the track? You need a truck goldwing and trailer.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Paranoid crackheads are paranoid. It does happen though. I have a paranoid neighbor and he kept on going on about people nicking his poo poo or messing with his wheels when he's obviously just forgetting stuff, but sure enough one day my bicycle quick-release skewer had been removed in the night. Apparently the guys couldn't figure out how to unhook the cantilever brake so the wheel was still there.

Lock your bike to something if you can, but I wouldn't stress out over it.

Locked with a 19mm link chain to an immobile rail, covered and alarmed. I've got decent insurance with no excess, but if I lose my no claims bonus I'm going to be priced out of getting any bike larger than 125cc for atleast 2 years.

It just bugs me that I'm so careful about not having the bike on display, and these fuckers still managed to cop onto there being a nick-worthy bike around.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

:italy:

I'm getting ready to replace my clutch hub/basket/plates/pressure plate this weekend. A lot less tambourine for a couple thousand miles. :tinfoil:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hey I have that shirt, kind of want another one in a larger size to wear over my leathers at the gap or track days.

AncientTV posted:

Buy the SV...you know you want to. And don't worry about carbs, I've never had to mess with the carbs in my first gen and it runs fine from 10-110 degrees.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

AncientTV posted:

I agree with Fangs404. And SV forums > Ninjette forums, if that's important to you.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

AncientTV posted:

I'm torn between keeping my ugly Ninjette and riding it into the ground, or offloading it this coming summer and picking up a 1st gen SV.

I ride a 1st gen naked SV and do everything you mention (no car, trackdays, general reliance upon it) and it fits the bill well.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AncientTV posted:

As a V-Strom owner, I can confirm that the SV engine and its derivatives are freaking bulletproof. Both the 650 and 1000 are just really good engines, in my experience.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

I agree with Fangs404. And SV forums > Ninjette forums, if that's important to you.

Svrider is so terrible :negative:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ninjette pretty much is too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Once you are used to SA, all forums are terrible.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yep. Remember, I said ">." The general landscape of motorcycling forums are horrid. SVRider has a higher spread of intelligent people that make it much more tolerable and easier to find answers (and cool new bikes).

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ola posted:

Once you are used to SA, all forums are terrible.

Yea, every other forum seems to be flooded with old guys that overuse the hell out of emoticons.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Gnaghi posted:

If you're motorcycle only how you gonna get all your stuff to the track? You need a truck goldwing and trailer.

I borrow a buddy's truck currently, but I'm looking into getting an old Astro or something and turning it into a track transport.

Everybody posted:

Just buy one.
I expected as much, I guess I'll be moving on to my 4th bike in the summer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I finished my MSF BRC on Tuesday! Was fun. Learned a lot.

And then, on my way home, I got rear ended / side swiped. Broken left ankle and left pinky finger, both requiring surgery. Banged up right knee (not broken). Stayed in the hospital for 2 days...

I've been going over the accident in my head a thousand times. It was so fast, and the worst part is, I didn't see it coming at all. I couldn't even tell you what color the car was that hit me. I had no time to prepare or react, it was literally BAM-bike gone-bang head-slide.

First part: Gear I was wearing.
- Shoei Helmet.
- ADV Sport leather gloves with knuckles.
- Leather jacket over hooded sweatshirt.
- Icon Mil-Spec Reflective vest.
- North Face bright orange backpack with reflective tape.
- 3 layers of pants: Thermal underwear, jeans, snowboard pants.
- Navy work boots.

The accident:

It was around 5:00, on a clear day with heavy traffic. It was just outside of a large town heading towards the country. The road was 2 lanes going my direction with the 2 lanes going the opposite direction separated by a very large median. We were at a red light. I was in the right lane, boxed in by a car in the left lane and a white box truck in front of me. Traffic was extremely thick and there was no room to move around. I was in the left side of my lane, the right lane, because the right side of my lane was bumpier and had more cracks and holes.

The light turned green and traffic took off at a slow but normal pace. I was maintaining the a safe distance between me and the truck in front of me, but trying not to allow too big of a space to open up so nobody would cut in front of me. I shifted to second, and then to an early third at about 25-30mph. Then, bam.

It sounded like an explosion. My handlebars yanked to the right and my bike was gone. I remember hitting my head, but I didn't black out or get knocked out. I hit my right knee on the ground and then flipped to my back where I continued to slide about 30-50 feet. I don't remember at which point my ankle and pinky hit anything. After I stopped sliding, I made a thoughtless, half assed attempt to get up, but layed back down in the middle of the road on the dashed white line, face down, feet toward the oncomming traffic, and pulled my hands up to my face.

In what seemed like no time at all I was surrounded by people. "Did anybody see what happened?" "Sir are you okay?" "Don't move him until the EMT's get here" "Are there anny witnesses?" "Let's move the traffic around him" etc. etc.

I heard one womans voice stand out "I didn't see him. He came out of nowhere."

After the EMT's arrived, they turned me over onto a board. I didn't move on my own the whole time. I could feel them touching my back and spine and heard them saying my spine didn't appear to be injured.

A random firefighter told me "Your bike doesn't look bad man, it looks like you just laid it down at a stop sign or something. Hell you could probably ride it home."

I rode to the hospital in the ambulance. After sitting in the hospital, getting my x-rays, I was given percoset which I had a pretty severe reaction to including turning ghost white, passing out, drop in blood pressure and a spike in temperature (when I came to I heard the nurse say "good, his temperature dropped, it's at 102.7"). It was during this time that the cop came by and gave me a ticket claiming that "the evidence at the crash site suggests that the accident was due to you swerving into the other lane and colliding with the other vehicle." He wrote me a ticket for an unsafe lane change manoeuvre.

Now, I was messed up from my percoset reaction and wasn't very coherent, the only thing I was able to clear with the cop that by signing the ticket it does not admit fault.

Here's the thing though. I was in my last day of BRC all day. We practiced swerving manoeuvres for a minimum of 3 hours that day alone. I had an extremely clear feeling for what a swerve feels like, and although I don't remember every detail of my ride I really don't remember swerving into the othe lane. On top of that, as I've described the traffic, there was absolutley no reason for me to even attempt changing lanes. Lane filtering is illegal here anyways, but even if it was legal I'm too new a rider to even consider that. I was completely focused on the distance between me and the box truck in front of me.

Of course there are so many details but I'm going to try to wrap it up.

About the gear I was wearing.

The good gear:
The helmet has a nice bash on the forehead logo area, totally saved my life. Didn't even have a headache or neck pain.
The gloves had a few scratches on the knuckles and in a few spots where it slid on the ground, no holes.
The jacket has a few marks, one small tiny hole from a fold.
Vest is fine.
The backpack is what I was most impressed with. Considering it's just a backpack, it took a 30-50 ft slide and barely looks dirty. It's got a few marks but only 2 small holes, and one of the small plastic straps got ground down pretty hard. Unfortunately they cut off the straps before moving me. I will never make fun of The North Face again.

The bad gear:
Blasted through all 3 layers of pants on impact and got some road rash on my knee, it swelled up pretty big.
The boots I think did more harm than good, Sure, the steel toe kept my toes safe, but the way the boots are designed they are very bottom heavy and although they were laced very tight I think the extra weight twisted my foor around even harder.

One thing that really sucks about the gear is that on Monday, the day before, I stopped at 2 different bike shops to buy pants with knee armor and rigid motorcycle boots - and they were both closed on mondays! If I had those pieces of gear I'm convinced I would've walked away from that wreck with nothing more than a broken pinky.

The insurance company inspected my bike and declared it a total loss. I'll actually be making a nice profit off it.

However, my friend today picked up the plate and the gps for me and took lots of pictures. The firefighter was right, the bike is barely scratched.

The right side is completely scratch and mark free.

Damages on the left side:
- Turn signals are busted
- Frame slider snapped off
- Front wheel slider is scratched
- Left mirror is scratched
- Left handlebar end is scratched
- Clutch lever scratched
- Left exhaust is scratched
- Shifter lever is bent
- Small chip on plastic behind seat

... and that's it.

Here's a view of the left side where all the damage was done:

And here's a link to the photo album with more close up shots: http://imgur.com/a/DKR9P

Anyways, of course the wife doesn't even want to hear the word motorcycle right now. From the start shes told me she trusts my judgement but she doesn't trust other people on the road, and unfortunately they proved her right. Maybe I'm dumb, but this accident doesn't make me want to give up riding at all. After years of searching, I thought I finally found the one thing I've been missing. Riding felt great, and I don't care how lame it sounds but it made me feel free and alive. I can't even explain the exuberance I felt on the road - you're riders I'm sure you understand. When I was riding I might have looked pretty badass with my leather jacket and helmet, but underneath that helmet I was grinning like an idiot. I still want to ride, I just don't know what I'm going to do at this point.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

words

Jesus christ dude, I'm glad you're okay.

This is why I always ride with my loving gopro.

e:you should be able to buy the bike back from insurance. That might be worth it, assuming the frame is straight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo glad you're ok. Where did the accident take place?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Jesus man, glad to hear you're alright. Your report on the layers of pants makes me really rethink riding to work in my Carhartt's all the time like an idiot.

Also glad to hear that it seems like it hasn't scared you off of riding, It really is fantastic and I hope you find a way to get back into it soon.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It was during this time that the cop came by and gave me a ticket claiming that "the evidence at the crash site suggests that the accident was due to you swerving into the other lane and colliding with the other vehicle." He wrote me a ticket for an unsafe lane change manoeuvre.

This is great. The cop goes to the accident scene, looks around, and says "Yep, looks like an unsafe lane change."

*eats donuts*

I hope you lawyer up and get what's yours here. That really sucks.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
drat man, I know the feeling of getting hit out of nowhere. This is unfortunately why everyone suggests a poo poo bike as your first :( Hope insurance treats you well!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
This is horse poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8
Seriously, gently caress the police.