Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Quick interest check...

I'm getting a new soldering soon, after my Weller broke last year. I also have the tools to modify cases as needed, and I can program a Teensy/ATMega/whatever. If I were to assemble custom keyboards and sell them on SA-Mart, how many people would be interested in ordering? The price would be between $150-200 for a board; a bit lower without the tenkey. I'd be able to make custom layout changes, LED backlighting, different case colors, different switches.

I wouldn't get the first one or so unless you've already done this, but if you do good work then I have a board layout in mind I'd probably get for travel purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Brightman posted:

I wouldn't get the first one or so unless you've already done this, but if you do good work then I have a board layout in mind I'd probably get for travel purposes.

I haven't built a keyboard, but I used to do soldering/assembly work for one of the duties of a job I've held. Building crossover networks, repairing amplifiers, lots and lots of cable soldering...and I've built several headphone amps.

The reason why I want to do this is to subsidize my own keyboard acquisition, really. The first one will be for me - and I'll post detailed photos when the first one's done, of course.

What sort of layout are you looking at for travel? Something like a modified Planck?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I haven't built a keyboard, but I used to do soldering/assembly work for one of the duties of a job I've held. Building crossover networks, repairing amplifiers, lots and lots of cable soldering...and I've built several headphone amps.

The reason why I want to do this is to subsidize my own keyboard acquisition, really. The first one will be for me - and I'll post detailed photos when the first one's done, of course.

What sort of layout are you looking at for travel? Something like a modified Planck?

Oh nothing severely compact, probably a 65~70% layout, it's just that it would be justified as being for travel. I'd get a nice padded case for it and it probably wouldn't be outside of my work laptop bag unless I was using it. I might also arrange it to have different switches for different key groups, but I'm not sure about that yet. Also floating keys if it's doable, a lot of it sorta depends on what the options will be.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I like pastels. Ducky G2 with browns.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

punch drunk posted:

I like pastels. Ducky G2 with browns.

Are those PBT? If so, where did you get them? I've been wanting Lavender keys for a while.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Massdrop has a few more sets of SP's DSA Dolch keys in their bazaar:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dsa-dolch-key-set

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
massdrop has an snes-themed keyset up right now. expensive though https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-snes-keycap-set

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Nice they arrived :) I received the pack of 11 alternate keys but no base set yet and welp I'm not back until after new years.

Pictured along with the pumpkin keycap I got for halloween which I'm still using because I kinda like it.

Welp thats my story ciao, arrivederci etc

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Decided to see what all the fuss with clear switches so I ordered a pok3r 3. Coming from a full size keyboard with black switches (ugh) I can't wait!

I'm hoping it doesn't take me long to adjust to no arrow keys. What do you guys like mapping caps lock to? I currently have mine set up for control, is it nicer setting it to fn to use the second layer easier? I'll have to try out both I suppose when it gets here.

Maybe this is a good excuse to set up my editors/command line to vim like shortcuts and learn it.

It's not even here yet and I'm already tempted to order key caps sets for it. Not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole just yet.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I remapped caps lock to ctrl, and the left ctrl to fn, which I usually press with the side of my palm. Large hands come in useful sometimes.

Also swapped the arrows to hjkl :-)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any way to get pause/prev/next track controls on the pok3r? Already got the volume control keys set up.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard but unsure about what switch type to go for. My only experience with mechanical keys was this old rear end typewriter at my office (loved the clickiness and what prompted me to look for a mech keyboard), and a Razer Chroma I played around with at a Best Buy. Some research said that Cherry MX Blues or Browns are what I'm after, but others says Blue/Browns are crap for gaming and I should use Reds.

They're aren't any physical stores nearby that stock more than 1 mechanical keyboard so I can't just try them all and see. Any suggestions?

If you like typewriters get a buckling spring

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

TWBalls posted:

Are those PBT? If so, where did you get them? I've been wanting Lavender keys for a while.

I bought it secondhand so I'm not positive, sorry man. I'm fairly sure they aren't PBT though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Please tell me if this is against any rules (I skimmed the sticky), but as I mentioned a few pages ago my Pok3r arrived despite my attempts to cancel the order, and we're going to make a go of it. Because of that I'm selling my Das - If any UK goons are interested feel free to slap a bid on it I guess. The only real sign of wear is a bit of shine on the spacebar - otherwise fully functional etc.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I dunno what the rules are but usually people will link to an SA Mart post and not an eBay link.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 21, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I dunno what the rules are but usually people will link to an SA Mart post and not an eBay link.

i'm not posting my paypal email publicly and i don't have PM so no dice. will remove the link if a mod asks me to - just drawing attention to this listing if anyone here is in the market for a kb

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
My Razer mechanical keyboard appears to have bricked. Bought it 8 months ago, but no warranty. Sent an email to Razer requesting replacement. Are they likely to honor it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

starry skies above posted:

My Razer mechanical keyboard appears to have bricked. Bought it 8 months ago, but no warranty. Sent an email to Razer requesting replacement. Are they likely to honor it?

I don't know why it didn't come with a warranty but they're not likely to fix it if that's the case. Don't buy razer stuff is a good general rule, they used to make decent products until 2007 or 2008 and now it's a total crapshoot. Some of their stuff lasts, but a lot of it breaks.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Woot woot. Looks like I still have some months left on the warranty. But lesson learned on Razor products.

edit: I actually got the device working again, just for the record

starry skies above fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's good. No matter the manufacturer it's hard to kill mechanical keyboards without really soaking them in liquids while using them or something.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's also really easy to get a keyboard replaced under warranty when it is still under warranty.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Generic Monk posted:

i'm not posting my paypal email publicly and i don't have PM so no dice. will remove the link if a mod asks me to - just drawing attention to this listing if anyone here is in the market for a kb

Yeah, please don't. (I'm asking you to edit out your post.)

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
This Corsair K70 (cherry mx red switches, non RGB) is $100 at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-k70-mechanical-keyboard-black/9089085.p?id=1218978327181&skuId=9089085

I searched the thread for this particular model and I didn't see any red flags about it. I wanted to ask if this is considered a good keyboard by you guys - I'll primarily be using it for standard amount of work + FPS gaming.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

eriddy posted:

This Corsair K70 (cherry mx red switches, non RGB) is $100 at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-k70-mechanical-keyboard-black/9089085.p?id=1218978327181&skuId=9089085

I searched the thread for this particular model and I didn't see any red flags about it. I wanted to ask if this is considered a good keyboard by you guys - I'll primarily be using it for standard amount of work + FPS gaming.

Other than non standard bottom row, that makes fitting custom keycaps problematic it is a solid board. I've had the K65 which is essentially the same board but TKL and with RGB for over a year now and its still doing great.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've had a K60 (gave away when upgraded to K70), K70 that I spilled coffee on, and another K70. I love em.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

niss posted:

Other than non standard bottom row, that makes fitting custom keycaps problematic it is a solid board. I've had the K65 which is essentially the same board but TKL and with RGB for over a year now and its still doing great.

Keycaps is my only complaint with my K65, hardware-wise. I've had some issues with firmware and Corsair Utility Engine, however.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

I've had some issues with firmware and Corsair Utility Engine, however.

I've always thought this was such a nitpick, every RGB board not built by the big 3 uses hardware programming which is hell.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think its nitpicking when my keyboard stopped working for two whole weeks while I waited for a support ticket response from Corsair, and then had to hard reset it, upgrade firmware, and reinstall CUE.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I got my Carbon SA keycaps, they're pretty dang nice, first set of keycaps I've ordered.

I wish I had ordered the orange alphas, I'm used to having alternate colors for WASD keys. I tried using some from the novelty/warning kit but the angle is off for those. I still need to get a pok3r, especially now that these got delivered. I might wait until March when whitefoxes start shipping to see if I can pick one up for cheap.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I actually canceled my Whitefox order (not to dissuade anyone on here, I still think it's a very savvy purchase), just got a little bit impatient with that ship date and also I'm kinda blasé towards the entire cherry lineup at the moment while also having cold feet about trusting hype-drunk internet dudes about switches that like only 5 people have actually tried (they're probably fine).

So I went in a completely different direction and I have attempted to purchase a fantastically ugly keyboard from a magical faraway land... maybe... if this guy on ebay actually speaks english.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 27, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I'm going to swap out some of my hhkb stems with cherry converters, will post report when done

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 27, 2015

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Spilled beer on my Ducky Shine on Friday. Immediately unplugged, flipped over, and dried as much as possible. Finally tonight started cleaning items and plugged it back in. Besides the E, D, and ` buttons being a little slow to pop back up, is working fine.

Gonna mess with them a little bit longer with isopropyl alcohol and/or contact cleaner later in the week but overall super happy it's not fully destroyed!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do you clean your (mechanical) keyboards? I don't feel like pulling off each key, especially with the risk of breaking the key that comes with it.

I can clean the top of the button - and turn the keyboard upside down and used pressurized air - but it's not straightforward to clean between the keys for one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ufarn posted:

How do you clean your (mechanical) keyboards? I don't feel like pulling off each key, especially with the risk of breaking the key that comes with it.

I can clean the top of the button - and turn the keyboard upside down and used pressurized air - but it's not straightforward to clean between the keys for one.

they won't break if you use a puller and aren't an apeman with it

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Since the thing is over, if anyone got a white fox with either type of the tactile purple keys and decides they don't want it lemme know.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ufarn posted:

If you manage to break a switch (or a cap) trying to remove the caps for cleaning, you deserve a medal for having gorillahands

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

If you manage to break a switch (or a cap) trying to remove the caps for cleaning, you deserve a medal for having gorillahands

Actually some switches like clears have notoriously tight stems, so if you dont wiggle the cap you run the risk of just ripping the whole stem out of the switch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's mostly the cheap white plastic connectors between the switch and the button that worry me. But I was mainly talking about being too lazy to pull em all off.

I bought some interesting goop stuff to clean the surface, but there's no real alternative to pull them all off short of putting the keyboard in the washer, and I'm not quite keen on that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Pulling off the caps is not the big deal you're making it out to be. Even if you don't have a puller you can easily fashion one out of a couple zip ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ufarn posted:

You own a Model M (:smug:), pluck off the keycaps by hand, and put them in the dishwasher.

Apart from that, I just bought a Das Keyboard Model S for home and somehow the keys have gotten nicer since the very early Model S I got a few years ago. Less loud when bottoming out and somehow more tactile even though both are supposed to have Cherry MX Blue switches.

• Locked thread