Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deformed Church posted:

They've kind of screwed the economy in this patch

It's too realistic now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/g3157s/investing_in_caravans_after_the_patch_110/

Sharing because I lolled.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/g0smmi/just_wanna_share_3_things_i_recently_learned/

gently caress

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As of last beta looters occasionally kill your troops. It also crashes every time I want to enter smithy. Probably because my char has crazy high smithing, but I don't care enough to fix it now.

I know kingdom level play is a placeholder, but I got betrayed by other clan for a second time seemingly out of blue. I got 2 of their 4 members, but they are a part of huge empire faction and it looks like relationship malus applies to all clans within the faction.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Vlandian peasants with billhooks are just so good in captains, oof, it's such a fun mode, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I just wish that when I set my companions as cavalry or horse archers, that the game would always remember that. I'm not sure what causes them to default back to infantry, but it's a little annoying.

I suspect it does that if they get their horse shot out from under them.

Press G to drop poo poo was in warband. Z to dismount is in the tutorial.

Right click will also let you undraw a drawn arrow if you want to save it before switching weapons.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Press G to drop poo poo was in warband.

Holding G to select what to drop was not though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anything I can do to stop the AI being so flaky about sieges? I'm really bored of watching enormous armies abandon sieges over and over again any time they get a whiff of an enemy army, even if it's small enough we could steamroll it twice over and still win the siege? Seems like it probably completed about 10% of sieges, if that... Entire wars go by without the AI winning any territory at all.

I can lead the armies myself but it would be nice for the AI to actually make some kind of impact on these wars once in a while.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gift food? Idk why attacking patrolling villagers gets you more food then raiding or extorting.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Game still Good.

Few things I found out.

-camels are hilarious. Bad, But hilarious.

-If you have a warhorse with decent speed, space turns it into bollywood mode. Leaving over multiple rows of infantry is surprisingly effective.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Valtonen posted:

Game still Good.

-If you have a warhorse with decent speed, space turns it into bollywood mode. Leaving over multiple rows of infantry is surprisingly effective.

One of my favorite things to do in Warband was jump onto a cluster of friendly troops after the battle was over and see if I could get the horse stuck in mid air. Usually the physics system slides you off but if there's enough dudes and you do it just right, bam perpetual horse flight.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ah, no wonder my troops were leveling so slowly, I forgot the "don''t level up individual unit, only upgrade the whole stack" rule.

For anyone who isn't familiar: when a unit gets a kill, the EXP goes into a shared pool for every unit of that type. This means that the more units of that type you have, the faster the unit EXP pool grows. If you promote a unit, that means there's less units of the first type to contribute to the EXP pool, as well as another unit type competing for the same juicy Looter EXP Bags.

For example- I've got a party of 10 Archer Level 1s. We kill a few brigands and I have enough EXP to promote 3 of them. if I do that, instead of 10 Archer Level 1s killing and sharing EXP, I now have 7 Archer Level 1s and 3 Archer Level 2s, so there's both less Archer Level 1s generating EXP, and whenever an Archer Level 2 gets a kill that EXP goes to the Archer Level 2 pool. On top of that, since the Archer Level 2s are better they will kill more enemies, and you get to a point where your Archer Level 1s are starved for XP and will never level up.

Neither is more "efficient", and you run the risk of losing XP by your lovely Tier 1 troops being murdered, but if you want to keep things clean and level up groups of units at the same time, it's much better to follow this rule.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 21, 2020

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

^ That's a good tip, especially if you're trying to run with an all-cavalry army. The last few recruits in my groups always take forever to level up, and when it's down to the last few footmen they can get easily outnumbered and killed.

gently caress

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 21, 2020

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

GruntyThrst posted:

Ah, no wonder my troops were leveling so slowly, I forgot the "don''t level up individual unit, only upgrade the whole stack" rule.

For anyone who isn't familiar: when a unit gets a kill, the EXP goes into a shared pool for every unit of that type. This means that the more units of that type you have, the faster the unit EXP pool grows. If you promote a unit, that means there's less units of the first type to contribute to the EXP pool, as well as another unit type competing for the same juicy Looter EXP Bags.

For example- I've got a party of 10 Archer Level 1s. We kill a few brigands and I have enough EXP to promote 3 of them. if I do that, instead of 10 Archer Level 1s killing and sharing EXP, I now have 7 Archer Level 1s and 3 Archer Level 2s, so there's both less Archer Level 1s generating EXP, and whenever an Archer Level 2 gets a kill that EXP goes to the Archer Level 2 pool. On top of that, since the Archer Level 2s are better they will kill more enemies, and you get to a point where your Archer Level 1s are starved for XP and will never level up.

Neither is more "efficient", and you run the risk of losing XP by your lovely Tier 1 troops being murdered, but if you want to keep things clean and level up groups of units at the same time, it's much better to follow this rule.

It's worth mentioning that in some ways Bannerlord does not work like Warband did. The perks that provide XP to troops provide XP to the stack, but this XP is not multiplied by the number of units in the stack the way Trainer XP was in Warband. Similarly, when you're holding on to prisoners to recruit them, the chance to recruit a prisoner checks to recruit one prisoner per stack of troops, regardless of how many units are in the stack - you can have 5 prisoner recruits, 20 prisoner recruits, or 50, and you'll get recruitable prisoners at the same fixed rate. Since base Bannerlord does not allow you to recruit tier 5 or 6 prisoners (the chance is a flat 0%), this means that if you're relying on replenishing your ranks from prisoners, you want to keep a variety of prisoners, instead of cherry picking out only the highest tier (and most valuable) prisoners for resale.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Am I bad at calvary? My melee horse dudes tend to just get utterly wrecked and annihilated by basic melee troops more often than not. It’s super aggravating. Anything I can do to mitigate that?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Warbird posted:

Am I bad at calvary? My melee horse dudes tend to just get utterly wrecked and annihilated by basic melee troops more often than not. It’s super aggravating. Anything I can do to mitigate that?

The spears and stuff basic melee troops carry absolutely destroy my cav too. I've been all horse archers and no problems since.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Warbird posted:

The AI is much better at timing hits on attacking cavalry than it was in Warband. (It's also much better actually HITTING as attacking cavalry, but the spear infantry will always win the exchange for reasons which should be obvious).

The thing is, while it was possible to micromanage your troops in Warband, it was mostly pointless outside putting your companions into a separate control group so you could throw them into the fight a little sooner to try and ensure they always got some XP.

Here in Bannerlord, while you can't really do much with commands to positively affect the battle once your troops are engaged, where and how your troops get engaged can be really important. For example, if you tell all your troops to charge at the start of battle, your cavalry will try and blast through the infantry line and probably get decimated. So don't do that!

First, the secret - if you don't care to manually pre-position your troops and you just want your troops to act a bit smarter, hit F6 at the start of battle. This sets everybody to 'Delegate Command', which means your troops will operate independently and the AI will usually not act like a complete idiot. Pushing F6 at the start of battle instead of simply ordering a charge will noticeably reduce your troop casualties.

Second, archers are really good. Really good. Especially high tier archers. An army consisting of nothing but Battanian Fian Champions will, pound for pound, wreck anything the AI throws at you. They will kill dramatically more than their fair share until they run out of arrows. They're even better if you can put them someplace elevated where they can fire down into the melee - Mount and Blade archers are really good at avoiding friendly fire, but this means they'll refuse to fire if there's a chance at hitting friendly troops. If they're shooting from higher up, they'll be able to find "good" shots and shoot even when your infantry/cavalry are engaged.

Each "category" of troop has a few different behaviors depending on which attack command you give them:

Charge command:
Infantry - rushes forward at top speed to engage the nearest enemy, breaking formation. WILL NOT PUT OR HOLD THEIR SHIELDS UP WHEN DOING THIS.
Archers - will engage in "skirmish" tactics, moving forward as needed to get into shooting range, but will attempt to back off and maintain space if enemy troops approach too close.
Cavalry - will charge forward and attempt to use "shock" tactics, charging into and through enemy groups while attacking, turning around and charging back in and through, etc
Horse Archers - will attempt to circle the enemy counter-clockwise, shooting with arrows. (Once they're out of ammunition they will pull out their melee weapons and behave like Cavalry, using "shock" tactics)

Advance command:
Infantry - advances towards the enemy, maintaining their current formation. When in Shield Wall stance, will keep their shields up (if they have them) the entire time they advance.
Archers - will advance towards the enemy, firing shots, until they get close, at which point they will pull out their melee weapons and engage in melee.
Cavalry - will charge forward and get stuck in, rather than attempting to charge "through" the enemy
Horse Archers - will attempt to approach the enemy, fire, and then do a 180 and ride away, then repeat.

The enemy AI is "smarter" than it is in Warband, but in the absence of enemy lords, it's pretty dumb, basically charging forward as in Warband. Here's a fairly in-depth example of how manually controlling your troops actually works out to your benefit:

--
At the start of the battle, tell your infantry to form a shield wall and put your archers and horse archers to loose formation. If there's any convenient geographic features, like a nearby hill, put your infantry in front of the hill towards the enemy and put your archers uphill. Use the ALT key to see where and how far the enemy groups are.

If the enemy has horse troops - particularly horse archers - they will probably send them forward ahead of their foot troops. You can position your horse archers behind your regular archers (their height will allow them to fire over your archers just fine), while placing your cavalry off to the side where the enemy has more cavalry incoming. If the enemy sends their horse archers forward unsupported, tell your cavalry and horse archers to advance - your horse will catch and kill them while your archers shoot their horses down from underneath them and prevent them from disrupting your lines. Sometimes the AI only sends their horse archers and keeps the cavalry in reserve, in which case you can basically sit tight and let your stationary archers murder the gently caress out of them.

Now, depending on the size of the enemy army, the main body of infantry and archers is either advancing towards you or trying to play it defensive. Either way, you want to pull your cavalry wide to the flanks. For your horse archers, move them wide and tell them to charge. If you tell them to charge while they're still relatively tight and close to the main line of engagement, odds are good some of them will get caught out trying to transition between a line and the counter-clockwise rotating circle. Move them off to the side first and you'll avoid this problem.

Let's assume the enemy is advancing on you. For your cavalry, you want to hold off on charging until the enemy infantry is fully focused on your own infantry, then tell them to charge in from the flanks. Ideally, you want your cavalry to hit the infantry at the same time your own infantry meets the enemy, so that the enemy doesn't have the time or opportunity to turn around and point spears at your cavalry, while your own cavalry slams in from the sides/rear of the line. Cavalry charges in Bannerlord are brutal; multiple infantry will get knocked down and wounded by a single horseman charging into a line, in addition to the speed bonus which more or less guarantees that any infantry hit by a charging cavalryman's weapon is killed.

If the enemy is playing it defensive, then you can either move your troops forward into missile range - move your infantry shield wall into range first, to draw arrow fire, then move your archers into range and set your cavalry and horse archers up on the flanks. The enemy AI isn't dumb enough to sit there and eat arrow fire until it dies, so they will charge forward, in which case see above.

Alternatively, if you've got a really good defensive position and you really want to force the enemy to come at you, there's a riskier play you can make. See, the enemy lords actually command troops - their own troops generally, or in the case of an army, a specific formation of troops (infantry, archers, etc). If you take out an enemy lord, their troops will suffer a morale hit and ignore their previous orders in favor of blinding charging in. The same thing happens to you if you get taken out in battle - even if you previously delegated command, if you go down in a fight, all your troops immediately switch their orders to "charge".

So, if you want to force the enemy to suicidally charge into your prepared position, you're going to need to find the enemy lord(s) and take them out. You can set up your cavalry outside of enemy bow range and try and bait the enemy cavalry groups into chasing you into them, approach with a bow and try and snipe out the lords (they're usually in the smallest cavalry group, which you might be able to pick out with the ALT key), charge in with a couched lance screaming at the top of your lungs, whatever works. If you're fighting a battle led by a single enemy lord, their troops will lose cohesion and charge in the instant he or she goes down. If you're fighting an army, you don't know which enemy lords control which enemy groups and honestly it's going to be a clusterfuck anyways, you probably shouldn't be trying to assassinate like six enemy lords in personal combat when they're surrounded by cavalry and horse archers and are probably in range of friendly archers too. Either bait them to charging into your cavalry, or delegate command to your troops and focus on wiping out enemy cavalry and being an rear end in a top hat to the archers when the archers aren't paying attention to you.

Don't charge into archers when the archers are paying attention to you; thirty archers shooting you with arrows will kill the gently caress out of you right quick.

Once the battle is engaged, delegate command (if you haven't already) and focus on staying alive. Your troops get dumber and die faster if you go down. With good armor (and good barding for your horse), you can charge in and out of the battle while avoiding damage as long as you don't do things like charge into spear infantry that are paying attention to you or charge at archers that are shooting at you. Focus on picking off enemy cavalry and disrupting enemy archers/infantry when they are not paying attention to you while running down fleeing troops for free XP and you'll be fine and your troops won't suddenly turn into imbeciles when you go down because you got speared off your horse.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'd like to add two slabs to that wall of tactics:

1. Once your parties get big -- I've got a party limit of 417 in my game -- then a line of archers in loose formation can be very, very long. This interacts pretty badly with the AI's default face-to-enemy behavior which tries to constantly wheel the entire line and thereby massively shift the ends, and also tends to interact badly with terrain since it's very hard to position a very long line such that your guys all start firing at the same time. You can and probably should use face-to-direction to keep the line stationary, but the line will still tend to be unreasonably long compared to the massed infantry lumps you tend to face.

There are a couple of solutions to this. The first is to just have your archers scrunch up more, either by going back to line formation or a deeper loose formation. This means accepting that your back archers wont fire unless you're on an incline. The second is to assign some archer troop types to a separate control group so you can position them independently and form an envelopment from multiple lines. I don't think the game ever explains it but to change control group for a troop you just click the banner with the roman numeral in the party screen -- the extra ones have prepared names like "skirmishers" and "heavy infantry" but far as I can tell you can ignore that, behavior seems like it depends on actual troop type and not the control group name. This only works with your party, not armies.

To mitigate terrain, try to bear in mind that the objective isn't high ground as such: you're looking for all of your mans to have good sightlines. That means that it's advantageous to be on a slope so the back rows are elevated over the front rows. If the slope you're standing on is a bit lower than whatever the enemy is charging from then that's fine if it means all your archers can fire cleanly for their entire range. Relatedly, I usually put my shield wall behind the archer line and have the infantry advance as the enemy gets closer. Possibly this is less needed with actual archers than my mostly-crossbows ranged line.

You also want to be careful not to have your formation split where left half of your archer line can't see the right half because the hill that's in the middle of the line is in the way. In that case you'd likely have been better off just on flat ground. The ideal terrain is a bowl, not a hilltop.

2. For even fights, you can reasonably expect that a cavalry charge to the back or flanks as the enemy reaches your foot line will shatter them and just win so charge and forget is fine. For longer battles that can be quite a bit dicier, since the charge command will tend to make your cavalry unit split up into individuals and they can be swarmed and defeated in detail by the enemy foot if all the foot didn't actually break immediately.

In that scenario you'll want to manually re-form the horseblob after the initial charge, then have them go again as a group so they're not isolated. I usually have my cav on follow me and use charge for specific purposes. First I try herd the initial horse archer blob to run in front of my archer by abusing the fact that they try to keep you on their left, then position to charge in from the back flank once the infantry reaches my line. Leading the cavalry charge from the front is pretty dangerous but cav is the troop type that really needs babysitting to win the more uneven fights. As mentioned you need to be really careful to not charge anything that's ready and waiting for you, the job is smashing into the enemy infantry from the back just as it's about to engage your line or scatter enemy archers that are shooting at something else.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just to put in my 2 cents:

When infantry are in position, I shield wall them
Archers behind them in spread formation (preferable higher ground, but sometime you got to take what you get)
Calvary is off in the distance usually adjacent to the enemy swarm

Once my archers slaughter as many as they could and the horde is about to hit my shield wall, I make my cavalry charge. Once they run through the enemies I reposition them in the other direction, and once they are back in formation (usually the triangle) I send them back in for more.

Leaving horsemen to fight in the swarm is not a great idea, the archers and pike men will gently caress their day up easily.

If the tide is turning in my favor I tend to select all and hit F6 for cleanup. Also, if there is another wave coming I tend to move my infantry forward and try to get my archers to around where the arrows they were shooting landed. That way they can reload a little bit for the next round of soldiers are crashing towards them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thanks, I really appreciate that! The game sort of glosses over tactics and whatnot so that's a drat fine primer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Valtonen posted:

whole party cranking at the same time

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
I've been wondering something. Why does my graphics card fan sound like it's under load when I'm at the world map? I can understand in an actual battle with hundreds of troops, but the world map? I have an RTX 2080, is anyone else experiencing this?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

I'm irrationally upset that the 'ideal' offensive command isn't consistentlu Charge or Advance but different depending on the unit type. Why does charge make archers skirmish and advance make them charge into melee????

Game still good though

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone having luck with finding noble recruits? Not only do I not have any in *my* fiefs, I can't find then anywhere. Is it too early in my campaign (about 250 days) for the notables to have enough power for them to show up? Also, is there a way to directly increase a notable's power?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Not the Messiah posted:

I'm irrationally upset that the 'ideal' offensive command isn't consistentlu Charge or Advance but different depending on the unit type. Why does charge make archers skirmish and advance make them charge into melee????

Game still good though

This is a reasonable complaint. I feel like the commands should be reworked to be more thematically consistent across unit types, and/or they should have names specific to different unit types.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Not the Messiah posted:

Game still good though

My archers definitely don't charge into melee on an advance order? They skirmish on that one. The charge order for them seems to make them aggressively move forward and not retreat if the enemy advances. It becomes an infantry type charge though if I tell them to hold fire then charge though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Olesh posted:

It's worth mentioning that in some ways Bannerlord does not work like Warband did. The perks that provide XP to troops provide XP to the stack, but this XP is not multiplied by the number of units in the stack the way Trainer XP was in Warband. Similarly, when you're holding on to prisoners to recruit them, the chance to recruit a prisoner checks to recruit one prisoner per stack of troops, regardless of how many units are in the stack - you can have 5 prisoner recruits, 20 prisoner recruits, or 50, and you'll get recruitable prisoners at the same fixed rate. Since base Bannerlord does not allow you to recruit tier 5 or 6 prisoners (the chance is a flat 0%), this means that if you're relying on replenishing your ranks from prisoners, you want to keep a variety of prisoners, instead of cherry picking out only the highest tier (and most valuable) prisoners for resale.

A few days ago I tried out the Training Tweak mod and imo it's a must have like Fast Dialogue. It makes expanding and replacing your troops much less of a pain and since it applies to all heroes it means you'll actually get to fight something other than hordes of recruits.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Cool fire weapon mod is out

https://www.pcgamer.com/mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord-fire-mod/

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

My archers definitely don't charge into melee on an advance order? They skirmish on that one. The charge order for them seems to make them aggressively move forward and not retreat if the enemy advances. It becomes an infantry type charge though if I tell them to hold fire then charge though.

Yeah, those are flipped. Charge will make them shoot and advance until they get into melee and Advance will make them skirmish, which by the way is not the best option always, because they will sometimes retreat way too far to shoot accurately and/or move into bad terrain. Sometimes a single stray enemy horseman will make them fall back way too far and make the entire formation useless.

So yeah, like Olesh said try to give them a good place to shoot from and an infantry/cavalry screen, they're amazing killing machines but they can also be real morons if you let them.

Another little thing you need to do with archers is force them to face the enemy formation manually. Stray cavalrymen running behind your lines will make them turn their entire loose formation around and waste precious time shooting at some horse instead of the angry mass of 100 recruits running at you.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Great tactics points, and mirror my experiences. After lines meet the enemy ranged are often last to arrive, and I then try to disrupt them as rest of army chews enemy melee.

I also suggest everyone enable cheats: twice I had a siege where I either was the last attacker remaining trying to find last couple enemies or I had enemy stuck inside some wall and my troops tried to close distance unsuccessfully. Ctrl+F4 fixed that without the hassle of retreating and fighting again.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What I do sometimes (when I don't want to go full on horse archer) if the AI is advancing is have my cav follow me, ride ahead of my army and take out the enemy cav.

Usually I can do that before lines meet, giving me time to lead the cav into the enemy archers. Once they're dead or routing, the infantry gets charged in the back.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I've been wondering something. Why does my graphics card fan sound like it's under load when I'm at the world map? I can understand in an actual battle with hundreds of troops, but the world map? I have an RTX 2080, is anyone else experiencing this?
I'm no expert in any way but my guess is it could be that the map has no frame limit and your graphics card is trying to render it at 1000 fps. Whether this is from a setting, a driver, that card, the game or a combination I have no idea.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

alex314 posted:

Great tactics points, and mirror my experiences. After lines meet the enemy ranged are often last to arrive, and I then try to disrupt them as rest of army chews enemy melee.

I also suggest everyone enable cheats: twice I had a siege where I either was the last attacker remaining trying to find last couple enemies or I had enemy stuck inside some wall and my troops tried to close distance unsuccessfully. Ctrl+F4 fixed that without the hassle of retreating and fighting again.

I've clipped through the roof of a ashed and been stuck inside before. I had to wait 10 minutes for the AI to win :arghfist::saddowns:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

drat it feels good for your enemy to be so thoroughly crushed and useless.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Last night I wanted to check if when you destroy siege engines on a wall they stay destroyed on a map - nope. I wish they implemented that, then you could do a sick commando runs.

Anyone else tried soloing a siege? I did it by cutting through main gates. It takes some serious time, and you have to be careful to not catch a stone, but it beats scaling ladders. Then it's a matter of finding a good spot, sniping enemies and going on a quick arrow resupply runs. Best is: even if you die you can retreat without issues.

Interesting bug: I've found out hard way that at lest one tower of imperial town has a top floor that lets arrows through, and archers below see you. You can walk on it fine, but I suddenly got peppered with arrows from below.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If I wanted to have a mixed army rather than just a horde of horse archers (like, say, I was hit on the head or something) what sort of ratio of troop types works best and which kingdom is fun?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Enigma posted:

If I wanted to have a mixed army rather than just a horde of horse archers (like, say, I was hit on the head or something) what sort of ratio of troop types works best and which kingdom is fun?

Whenever possible, pick infantry types with shields over the two-handed spears. Imperial troops are common and well balanced and top-tier troops get solid armor, even the archers, and imperial recruits are plentiful. You can't really go wrong with imperial troops as the core of your army, and their elite units are the cataphract line, which are very solid heavy cavalry.

Battanian troops have elite archers - Fian Champions alone can destroy their own weight in troops without breaking a sweat and solid two-hander troops, but they tend to die in droves to enemy archers and their cavalry is not good.
Vlandians have the only really worthwhile crossbow troops in the game and the strongest "heavy cavalry" in their elite tree and solid two-handed spear infantry.
Sturgia's all about the infantry, but skirmish infantry just isn't very good and having solid heavy infantry doesn't make up for crappy ranged options and their cavalry is the worst in the game.
Aserai's are basically your proto-Sarranids. Their generic core are basically less armored than the imperial equivalents, but their cavalry are faster than other factions and their elite cavalry have javelins and lances. Mamelukes infantry/cav hit hard and have good armor, but you have to get a lot of mileage out of your mamelukes and faris to make up for your less durable regulars.
Khuzaits are bullshit, but you probably were aware of that. Their elite cavalry are tied with Fian Champions for the best archers in the game, but are mounted and have armor and backup two-handed spears. They also have regular horse archer troops, as well as okay regular heavy lancers. Their infantry aren't great, but Khuzait marksmen/Darkhans are an okay supplement if you're out of horses/war horses to turn your recruits into some form of bullshit steppe cavalry.

No idea on the ratio of troop types. Archers (horse or foot) are really good at limiting incoming casualties and high-tier archers fight okay when forced into melee, so I tend to go very heavy on archers, but late-game I tend to go very heavy on the cavalry/horse archer troops just to help overland movement speed. Mounted infantry don't move as fast on the world map as cavalry/horse archers, and you need every advantage possible to catch equal or smaller armies and force them to fight because the AI really doesn't like to fight unless they have a substantial advantage in troop strength/quality.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One interesting thing to note is that the Aserai's heavy Mameluke cavalry are actually better at range than the khan's guard since they're the only unit that equips the noble bow which is the best that a mounted unit can wield.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gobblecoque posted:

One interesting thing to note is that the Aserai's heavy Mameluke cavalry are actually better at range than the khan's guard since they're the only unit that equips the noble bow which is the best that a mounted unit can wield.

That is actually great to know. I forget though if they have the same stats :thunk:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Interesting.

Is there a way to check troop equipment like there was in warband?