Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010

Sophia posted:

And the fact that Margaery in general is very scheme-y, shrewd, and on the make in the show, as compared to the more reserved character she was in the book.

We've seen Margaery in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

FMchubs posted:

We've seen Margaery in the show?

Character profiles.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Contra Calculus posted:

You know, now that I think about it, maybe it was :stare:

Thing is, I don't think he's an actor.

edit: Wait, never mind. After doing some research, I guess he played himself in "The Country Bears" and "Spice World" and he also starred in an autobiography about himself. Sounds like a solid choice.

He was the Pinball Wizard in 'Tommy' you ignorant gently caress.

Which is a funny story because he literally, deliberately and maliciously screwed a friend out of that role so he could play it himself.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Also, was the queen of thorns even in book 2 for that matter? My earliest recollection of her is talking to Sansa in King's Landing in what has to be book 3. Why can't they just introduce her character next season when she will be doing something?

There doesn't seem to be any actual good reason to jump to the merging character conclusion.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
If they cut out Butterbumps and "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" I'll loving riot. All i gotta say. Cut out Olenna if you must, but the song must go on!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That's all stuff that happens behind closed doors. The ideal Cercei actress would be able to turn on the charm like crazy in public, and be a psycho in private. Also, Cercei is an ice queen, whereas the acress on the show just seems...bored. This is how bad she is: I'd rather they cast January Jones.

No, Sackhoff isn't pretty, sorry. It's like Rachael McAdams had a baby with the Joker.

After the past two episodes I dunno how you could call her bored. Her snipe at Tyrion in the last episode was pure, undiluted ice bitch. Lena Headey is owning the role this season.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll seriously cancel HBO if they cut the Queen of Thorns.

gently caress you, HBO.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I was really hoping that when Sansa got that guy "spared" they would show what motley really is. My wife read all the books and apparently never knew until she saw the illustration on the card from the board game, which is perfectly horrific and fitting.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Smashurbanipal posted:

:getin:

I hope they have a whole episode of TBatMF on loop.

I thought Headey was terrible last season (whoever said "bored" was spot on) but she's been noticeably better in the first two episodes this season.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Salladhor Saan is pimpin'.

'I'm not going to rape her. I'm going to gently caress her. You don't know how persuasive I am. I never tried to gently caress you.'

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like how many people still spell Cersei wrong even though this is the book thread and it's not like the name isn't written over and over and over and over again in the books or anything.

Then again I saw someone spell Joffrey as "Jaufre" the other day so maybe that isn't so bad

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe people are just spelling "Sirsay" wrong on purpose. You know, to be annoying or something.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
I listened to the German audiobooks, so in my heart it will always be "Kerrsai".

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Makochuk posted:

Is there any actual source at all on the merging of the characters thing. I follow the show and have never heard that before until now. I assume it's just inductive reasoning from that character not being cast?

It probably boils down to not wanting a major character who might die before the series (or character arc) is completed by the gurm.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

It probably boils down to not wanting a major character who might die before the series (or character arc) is completed by the gurm.

In that case, they choose someone far too old to play Arya.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Maisie's perfect, though. :colbert:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Junkenstein posted:

Anyone has a list with the ages of all the Stark children?

In my mind it was always something like:

Robb 16
Sansa 14
Arya 12
Bran 10
Rickon 6

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Bown posted:

I like how many people still spell Cersei wrong

You been reading the Wheel of Time thread? There are only three of us who can spell the character names correctly.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

El Hefe posted:

Robb 14-15
Sansa 12
Arya 10
Bran 8
Rickon 5

Corrected (at the start of GoT)

Robb, Jon, and Dany were all born during the war, which ended 14 years prior.

(and Sansa had not had a period yet (ugh, GRRM), so she's roughly 12)

Arya is specifically mentioned as 10, Bran is 8, and the forgotten one is estimated at 4-5.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

El Hefe posted:

Robb 16
Sansa 14
Arya 12
Bran 10
Rickon 6

You have Bran and Rickon right I believe. I thought Arya and Sansa were younger and I think Robb is 15 at the start and Jon is 14 at the start. I don't know maybe I'm thinking of Harry Potter or some poo poo.

Edit: I just realized how underage Jon must have been when he invented cunnilingus. GJ gurm. G loving J

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

I just realized how underage

GRRM_realization.txt

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

gurm posted:

"Khaleesi, you are with child"
"I know," Dany told her.
It was her fourteenth name day.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Danza Claus posted:

GRRM_realization.txt

Not only that but I just remembered that creepy-rear end tickling scene with Gendry and Arya... and oh my god, I mean I joked about it... But oh my god.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

Not only that but I just remembered that creepy-rear end tickling scene with Gendry and Arya... and oh my god, I mean I joked about it... But oh my god.

Ah yes. That awkward moment when you realize you actually read a GRRM book.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What fucks me up even more is that these books are super-mainstream. As in, middle-aged office workers, both men and women, read this poo poo on the subway.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Trico posted:

What fucks me up even more is that these books are super-mainstream. As in, middle-aged office workers, both men and women, read this poo poo on the subway.
Does that mean that GRRM has made pedophilia mainstream? NAMBLA should give him a medal or something.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Trico posted:

To be fair, the Harry Potter books had a scene that referenced centaur rape so it's not the first time the general public has been okay with creepy poo poo... but when you talk about GRRM books, you're talking about scenes where a dude with his dick chopped off eats out a 13-year old, a warlord buying and basically raping a 14-year old, a 15 year old eating out a red-headed 18 year old.

I mean, I don't get it. I might be alone in this, but I like having sex with women my age and are of my species. Maybe I'm the weird one.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

To be fair, the Harry Potter books had a scene that referenced centaur rape so it's not the first time the general public has been okay with creepy poo poo... but when you talk about GRRM books, you're talking about scenes where a dude with his dick chopped off eats out a 13-year old, a warlord buying and basically raping a 14-year old, a 15 year old eating out a red-headed 18 year old.

I mean, I don't get it. I might be alone in this, but I like having sex with women my age and are of my species. Maybe I'm the weird one.

I know gingers aren't human, but I'm pretty sure dothraki and vikings are of the same species.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trico posted:

Twilight, from what I've heard, is much more creepy and hosed up and that's even more enormously popular, with women anyway.

I think Gurm gets away with it because it's in a medieval fantasy setting.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

crazypeltast52 posted:

I know gingers aren't human, but I'm pretty sure dothraki and vikings are of the same species.

I was referring to the centaur rape in Harry Potter. But yeah, the gingers too.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Contra Calculus posted:

It's okay because it's accurate to the times and culture (that Gurm made up).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

IRQ posted:

Twilight, from what I've heard, is much more creepy and hosed up and that's even more enormously popular, with women anyway.

I think Gurm gets away with it because it's in a medieval fantasy setting.
In one Greek folk song from the 9th century the girl is married off when she's 12. Even Juliet is 13 when she falls in love, gets secretly married and then kills herself. So I guess the character's ages are realistic considering the setting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM gets away with it because he rarely presents sex in a case where you're clearly supposed to be turned on, and the emotional crux of the scene is unrelated to the gross sex acts, at least in ASoIaF.

Theon eating Jeyne isn't really the focus, it's how dehumanizing and monstrous Ramsay Bolton is. Jon whines about his honor and his vows every second line when he eats out Ygritte, defusing what little sexual tension those scenes had.

Drogo loving Dany... yeah that gets creepy really loving quickly. The only reason I gave it a pass on my first go-through was that I could see he was taking the piss out of romance novel conventions; if I had known then how little Dany's story would move (or about ~~Daario~~) I would have been a lot more grossed out.

And that still leaves Cersei and her friend's "Myrish swamp" which comes out of nowhere and serves no real narrative function unless you want to bullshit on how it builds Cersei's character because

And then there's Tyrion almost raping Sansa, which still doesn't happen because Tyrion is a nerd-expy and retains just enough education and morals to understand why raping a young teen isn't kosher. I can't wait to see Peter Dinklage play that scene.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

Oh my, I suppose it was for the best I never finished those books...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Contra Calculus posted:

If Karen Gillan isn't human then sign me up for some inter-species sexy time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

It's offhand and implied in the 5th book as a punishment for a villain that Rowling does a good job at making villainous, so it's "ok." My guess is most kids and adults didn't even really realize the implications of what she meant, and it's still not explicit even after the fact.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

crazypeltast52 posted:

It was really subtle, but in the 5th book it's referenced. Oh also, Dumbledore's bro fucks a goat.

I READ CRACKED, SHOWER MY INTERNET KNOWLEDGE ABOUT STUPID poo poo WITH PRAISE

IRQ posted:

sign me up for some inter-species sexy time.

This was secretly a way for me to flush out the furries. Prepare to be helldumped and permabanned, bitch! :smug:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 10, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Contra Calculus posted:

It was really subtle, but in the 5th book it's referenced. Oh also, Dumbledore's bro fucks a goat.

I READ CRACKED, SHOWER MY INTERNET KNOWLEDGE ABOUT STUPID poo poo WITH PRAISE

I totally missed both of these things, but HP books are absolutely crammed with useless fluff by book 5 so I don't feel too bad.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

El Hefe posted:

Robb 16
Sansa 14
Arya 12
Bran 10
Rickon 6

It's in the appendix to the first book, when all the families/houses are listed:

Robb: 14
Sansa: 11
Arya: 8
Bran: 7
Rickon: 3
Jon: 14

(Dany, 13)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k