Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good herb crust/rub for a tri-tip in the oven? I did a rib roast with olive oil, s+p, rosemary and garlic that turned out well. Any variation for tri-tip?

Chili, cumin, oregano, garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Anyone have a favourite recipe for beef stew? Preferably one that includes beer because cooking with booze is half the fun.

I'm currently thinking something with potatoes, carrots, probably celery, beer, chicken stock because I don't have any beef stock, thyme, S+P of course, and not sure what else. Essentially a thick beefy winter stew.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Anyone have a favourite recipe for beef stew? Preferably one that includes beer because cooking with booze is half the fun.

I'm currently thinking something with potatoes, carrots, probably celery, beer, chicken stock because I don't have any beef stock, thyme, S+P of course, and not sure what else. Essentially a thick beefy winter stew.

Just use that recipe, but instead of the stock use red wine. Make sure you brown the meat first. Cook long and low.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What are some uses for ranch dressing besides as a salad dressing/dip?

I made it for the first time the other day and it's much better than the nasty bottled stuff. Unfortunately, I ended up making a ridiculous amount for a party that I had to back out of. I've got loads of fresh veggies, but is there anything a little more imaginative I could do?

EDIT: This question is stupid, probably- but I never liked ranch before! Just never thought about where to put it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine makes really good stuffed potato skins that are a great appetizer/hors d'oevre. I think the method is something like:

-Bake a bunch of small russets, making sure the skin is oiled and salted to make it tasty.
-When they're done, cut them in half and scoop out the insides, leaving some flesh on the skin so they'll hold their shape. In a bowl, mix your potato scoopings with your dressing and some crumbled bacon and chives if you like those.
-Spoon your potato mixture back into the skins, top with shredded cheese, and bake them until the cheese is melted.

Tasty and good finger food!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Check out turnips

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

Check out turnips

and parsnips, rutabagas.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

GrAviTy84 posted:

and parsnips, rutabagas.

And try grating some of these (and radishes) and add them for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

What are some uses for ranch dressing besides as a salad dressing/dip?

I made it for the first time the other day and it's much better than the nasty bottled stuff. Unfortunately, I ended up making a ridiculous amount for a party that I had to back out of. I've got loads of fresh veggies, but is there anything a little more imaginative I could do?

EDIT: This question is stupid, probably- but I never liked ranch before! Just never thought about where to put it.

You could always put it on Pizza! Ranch goes on everything don't you know.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like to sub ranch for the traditional mayo in Maryland-style crab cakes, personally.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Thanks for the suggestions! I probably should have used some more root veggies but I was finishing up poo poo in the fridge :v:

Ended up doing the wine thing Wiggles suggested, and also adding onions because onions own. It is merrily cooking away while I, uh, make sure the wine is good.

Stealth edit: That grating idea sounds awesome and I will probably do that at some point.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Steve Yun posted:

Anybody got a preferred oven cleaner?

edit: also, is using steel wool on an enameled steel oven okay?

I use Easy Off. Make sure that you get everything out of the bottom drawer/broiler area first. Throw down some newspapers under the door and drawer areas. If your oven door comes off, clean that all around while you're at it, but save it for last. You could in theory, leave the oven racks in while you do the heating/baking part of the cleaning process, but you will have to put them some place where they won't burn what they are laying on while you scrub the inside. Also, have to have enough room and equipment to clean them off. Setting them outside on a stone patio and hosing them off might be an option.

If you use a chemical cleaner, you usually don't have to scrub to ridiculous levels. A sponge and lots of clean water will usually do the trick. Personally, I'd rather do multiple cleaning sessions with the chemicals than scrub with steel wool.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Does anyone know what the best model (or general style) of thermometer would be for chocolate and candymaking? Not giant batches.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Does anyone know what the best model (or general style) of thermometer would be for chocolate and candymaking? Not giant batches.

A candy thermometer seems like it would be a good style...

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Okay, I should've been clearer there. I have a candy thermometer already but I've never had good results with it - the temperature doesn't seem to be accurate, and it's difficult to read.

The one I have now is basically like this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scientastic posted:

I don't know what websites you were looking at, but I've made falafel with canned chickpeas before and they've always been fine. Here's the recipe I used for Picnic ICSA:

Yo I made this today and it was amazing. I added half a tsp of cayenne pepper, which gave it a nice kick. Also I deep fried instead of pan frying because :reject:

Thanks for the recipe, this was so easy! I'll definitely be making it again.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have: rainbow chard stems, a head of radicchio, a head of cabbage, a bunch of mei qing choi, a leek, carrots and sweet green peppers, and apples. Can I make a hearty dish or two, using a lot of this stuff?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have: rainbow chard stems, a head of radicchio, a head of cabbage, a bunch of mei qing choi, a leek, carrots and sweet green peppers, and apples. Can I make a hearty dish or two, using a lot of this stuff?

The side dish from this video is delicious and uses the Radicchio and apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8fYMpQqNM

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
This thing just turned up in my Vivaneau Meunière. What is this.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Adrastus posted:

This thing just turned up in my Vivaneau Meunière. What is this.

P. sweet cod worm you got there.

(not dangerous if cooked until dead)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ricola!!!!

It's a gil-worm. Cod get them sometimes. Not a big deal.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Okay, I should've been clearer there. I have a candy thermometer already but I've never had good results with it - the temperature doesn't seem to be accurate, and it's difficult to read.

Get one of these babies on Amazon or something. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600b.html

It'll go up to +550F, which will more than handle candy making, and it's made by Thermoworks, the maker of the Alton Brown-approved Thermapen.

I have nothing but praise for this company.

Edit: looks like Amazon does not carry this extended high temp RT600B model, only the 302F 600C, but you can always order direct from the company if you need something that breaks the 302F barrier.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 12, 2012

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So I'm trying to convince my coworkers that homemade marshmallows are awesome and way better than jet-puffed. The problem is that last time I made it, it was awfully messy and my recipe was so-so. Anyone have any tips for prep or good recipes?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

I have one more like this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dial-candy-thermometer-nsf/913THCF20D.html

and it's very easy to read with a dial, and seems to be accurate. The problem with it though is that its vital that the spike is properly immersed in the liquid. If the liquid is too shallow, then it will give too low a reading (as I discovered when I tried to make custard with it, and my thermometer informed me that cream boils at 50C :( )

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Thanks for the ranch suggestions! It was surprisingly good on pizza.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

All suggestions are good. Pearl barley is terrific too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pearl barley in stew is also really good.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So I was perusing the local hippie organic foodshop and picked up a big bag of bulgar on sale. However, I've never actually cooked with it. I understand you generally just boil in stock or water, but any suggested uses after that?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

I have a recipe for my mom's Cuban beef stew, she uses beer in her recipe as a sub for water. It also uses a half cup of dry white wine but it does not seem to impact it negatively at all. Let me know and I can copy it over, I just made it last week in fact.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I really want one of these. Digital candy thermometer with a splatter shield.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

rj54x posted:

So I was perusing the local hippie organic foodshop and picked up a big bag of bulgar on sale. However, I've never actually cooked with it. I understand you generally just boil in stock or water, but any suggested uses after that?
Use like couscous. Very versatile. I mix with roasted vegetables (sometimes roasted with Harissa, garlic, balsamic), or with griddled zucchini, sometimes chickpeas added, fresh mint is always excellent, and if you like, top with grilled halloumi.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm making a 10 pound ham for my Christmas party. I made it last year using this recipe, I THINK:

Tangy Honey Glazes Ham
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24501/recipetangy-honey-glazed-ham

If that indeed is the recipe, this ham was the best ham of my life. Any suggestions on improving on it? I thought of doing the whole diamond shape cuts thing so I can pour apple juice on the ham before it goes into the oven to soak it in possibly?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm trying to convince my coworkers that homemade marshmallows are awesome and way better than jet-puffed. The problem is that last time I made it, it was awfully messy and my recipe was so-so. Anyone have any tips for prep or good recipes?

I followed this recipe and made homemade marshmallows for the first time last week, and they were awesome and not too hard to clean up after. I would recommend going the all-sugar route instead of using the agave nectar, and don't bother adding corn starch to the confectioner's sugar.

The nice thing about all-sugar marshmallows is they dissolve really easily in hot water, so you can literally just rinse them off your mixer bowl and such.

They also melt way better in hot chocolate than the store-bought kind... :)

I will say that they do not have as much pure uncut sweetness as commercial marshmallows, so if your coworkers are expecting that they might find the homemade ones disappointing. No one at my Christmas party this weekend did, though.

Cut them small - I cut 2" squares so they would be a good size for making s'mores, and they were perfect for that, but a little unwieldy to eat out of hand.

Edit -

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I really want one of these. Digital candy thermometer with a splatter shield.

I have this one. I've used it for all kinds of stuff and have had it for four years, and it works beautifully. Can be a bit of a pain to get hardened candy off the probe, but that's every thermometer.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 12, 2012

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
The recipe indicates that the marshmallows will keep for up to a week - do you think that's a fair estimate, or is it possible they'd last longer? I'm putting together some baskets of homemade goodies for various people, but with shipping times I don't want to include anything that won't be good by the time Christmas actually rolls around.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

kernel panic posted:

The recipe indicates that the marshmallows will keep for up to a week - do you think that's a fair estimate, or is it possible they'd last longer? I'm putting together some baskets of homemade goodies for various people, but with shipping times I don't want to include anything that won't be good by the time Christmas actually rolls around.

I made mine five days ago and they don't seem to be going south in any way. I'd say make sure they're sealed up with as little air in the bag/container as possible, and not allowed to get hot, and you'll be fine for longer than a week. The ones that sat out on a plate at the party got a little dried out on the outside, but were still very yummy. I'd imagine letting them get wet would be bad too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Sorry to repost, got lost on the last page:

Bollock Monkey posted:

How long will the habanero mango hot sauce keep in bottles? I assume a while with so much acid and chilli in it, but I need some storage instructions to give to people.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Sorry to repost, got lost on the last page:
I've not had hot sauce ever go south on me. For one thing, it's got a boatload of vinegar. For another, it's got salt, and lime juice. The acid levels in that bottle are likely fairly high. Keep it in the fridge, and you should be fine. If you want to give it to people, I'd suggest getting those Ball canning jars, and sealing those suckers. That way, it'll stay for a couple of years easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have 12 bottles of hot sauce which are two years old, all of them are still good.

I have one bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce that's 10 years old. It's not as hot as before, flavor is a little flatter, but still good.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

The side dish from this video is delicious and uses the Radicchio and apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8fYMpQqNM

Oooh, that looks terrific. I guess I'll do that and the mei qing choi with bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

I've not had hot sauce ever go south on me. For one thing, it's got a boatload of vinegar. For another, it's got salt, and lime juice. The acid levels in that bottle are likely fairly high. Keep it in the fridge, and you should be fine. If you want to give it to people, I'd suggest getting those Ball canning jars, and sealing those suckers. That way, it'll stay for a couple of years easily.

Steve Yun posted:

I have 12 bottles of hot sauce which are two years old, all of them are still good.

I have one bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce that's 10 years old. It's not as hot as before, flavor is a little flatter, but still good.

Awesome, just what I thought. Thanks for the reassurance!