Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Pieces posted:

But why does that matter? It kills our dollar. Cost of importing goes up, we pay it back in food, electronics, etc.

I'm guessing you're referring to growth? It also makes our exports more attractive by lowering their cost in foreign countries, makes loans easier to service (which is going to go over so well in this thread). I'm not an expert in macro economics so I'll get back to work and let someone else cover this in depth

e: plus our loonie has been very high over the last decade or so. Previously it was more common to see it in the 80c to 90c range instead of near parity with the dollar (which also has been rising recently which doubly impacts the loonie as it falls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Why's the BoC worried? #cdnecon real gross domestic income growth forecast for 2015 marked down from 1.7% to 0.6%. http://t.co/jgVY0i6B1p

https://twitter.com/stephen_tapp/status/557932787718565888?s=09

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Poloz talks about why they dropped the rate
http://download.isiglobal.ca/bocbdc/2015-01-21.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

O.M.G. RT @RateSpy: The theoretical fair value for a 5-year fixed rate = the 5yr gov't bond yield + 1.50%-pts. That's 2.29% as we speak!

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/557931452047060993?s=09

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
81 cent cad lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If lower interest rates are good why don't we just make interest rates like -20% and blast off and make a housing boom on the moon and beyond?

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Baronjutter posted:

If lower interest rates are good why don't we just make interest rates like -20% and blast off and make a housing boom on the moon and beyond?

Hey you know what they say, they aren't making any more lunar regolith.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone should take 30 minutes this morning to read up on fractional reserve banking if you're serious about understanding what just happened. The bank of England and the bank of Canada website are a wealth of information on inflation targeting and monetary policy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Also Ben rabidoux just lost his mind

quote:

Canadians, rejoice! We've shed the burdens of a punitive 1% overnight rate! Consume, my friends! Borrow and consume!

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/557943360611442689?s=09

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baudin posted:

Poloz talks about why they dropped the rate
http://download.isiglobal.ca/bocbdc/2015-01-21.html

I'm no macroeconomics wiz either but does he explain how this is going to help the oil industry (it won't) or get corporations to start spending the increasingly vast piles of cash they're sitting on (probably not) or coax even more overleveraged consumer spending (eh, maybe)?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So is lowering rates going to make this bubble pop faster, or make it drag on and get even worse?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

eXXon posted:

I'm no macroeconomics wiz either but does he explain how this is going to help the oil industry (it won't) or get corporations to start spending the increasingly vast piles of cash they're sitting on (probably not) or coax even more overleveraged consumer spending (eh, maybe)?

Well you see, the housing bubble is too big to fail before the election therefore we must look busy, busy, busy!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

triplexpac posted:

So is lowering rates going to make this bubble pop faster, or make it drag on and get even worse?

Well it makes mortgages even more affordable in the short term, so I don't see how it could help it pop faster at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
gently caress it I'm buying a house.

At this point its obvious that society, our financial institutions and our government are all completely abandoning financial sanity.

Its going to be people who don't load up on massive amounts of debt who are going to foot the bill for this when the dust settles.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

eXXon posted:

Well it makes mortgages even more affordable in the short term, so I don't see how it could help it pop faster at all.

It should encourage more idiots on "tight budgets" to spend $650k on a 3br house. Jesus loving Christ.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

triplexpac posted:

Credit just got cheaper, so people can borrow more with lower monthly payments, so...

I am just waiting to see what CI does when the BoC starts deploying unconventional monetary policy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LemonDrizzle posted:

Credit just got cheaper, so people can borrow more with lower monthly payments, so...

Yeah, that was my first thought. But in theory now there will be even more people buying houses they can't afford, making things even worse when the rates finally do go up.

I guess it doesn't make it happen any faster, it will just make the effects that much worse.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

It does actually help oil companies, along with other industrial concerns by doing two things. One is that as noted, the loonie is crashing. Since all of their labour and service contracts are priced in canadian dollars, while their product is in U.S. dollars means that any decrease in the exchange rate helps their operating bottoms line. Further, a quarter point of interest may not sound like that much but when you're carrying billions of dollars in loans a quarter point can save you millions.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Have you all considered that maybe Downtown Dominic can afford a $900k condo on a $70k yearly salary?

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It should encourage more idiots on "tight budgets" to spend $650k on a 3br house. Jesus loving Christ.

So basically what I got out of the explanation to the household debt : disposable income issue was that the lesser of the two evils is to increase both rather than income levels drop and debt stay the same?

I.e. 160k:100k is 1.6:1 so they'd rather 170k:100k at a ratio of 1.7 rather than 160k:90k at a 1.77 ratio?

Seems terrible.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

triplexpac posted:

it'll make cheap credit more available

e: beaten twice, but to expand:

It will likely allow Canadians to go somewhat more into debt, and I suspect it's more aimed at reviving a dropoff in consumer spending before it gets bad

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

eXXon posted:

I only listened to parts of the presentation due to actual work getting done today but those aren't the core concern of the BoC. It's primary goal is inflation targeting.

e: it completely helps the oil industries though, and does make borrowing cheaper. Corporations spending cash isn't something the gov't should really get too involved in.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I hope the loonie hits $0.75 by June. Yes please I'd love and extra 25 cents on the dollar when I cash out from my current shithole employer (my options pay out in USD). :gizz:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

I am just waiting to see what CI does when the BoC starts deploying unconventional monetary policy.

It might surprise you but I'm not really offended by the rate cut nor am I against qe but that's because I love neo liberal, neo classical economics because it crushes the working man under the jack boot of capitalism.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm glad I'm in full debt repayment mode instead of trying to make money in stocks or buy things, because this is loving ridiculous.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Alright I have a dumb question:

Let's say you have a fixed-rate mortgage that gets renegotiated every 5 years.

So for years 1-5 you're paying things down at 3%

Then after that rates go up to 5%. But the payments you've made so far have brought down your princple, so in theory wouldn't the monthly payments work out to be pretty close?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
A friend of mine has decided to sell his mortgaged condo at a small profit thanks to the interest rate drop.

He is a smart friend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress it I'm buying a house.

At this point its obvious that society, our financial institutions and our government are all completely abandoning financial sanity.

Its going to be people who don't load up on massive amounts of debt who are going to foot the bill for this when the dust settles.

No it will be the rich who are ok when the dust settles. Doesn't matter if you're a renter or buyer when things crash, it's going to be the working class, regardless of home ownership, who has to pay for it all. When that happens your mortgage will be a huge stone around your neck. We will pay for this all in huge bailouts and tax breaks for those wealthy and powerful enough to demand them saying they're "too big to fall" and it will come directly through regressive taxes on the working class and severe austerity. We'll sell off our health system, privatize the schools, toll every neighbourhood street before we make the financial class at the top of all this actually pay for their actions. At the same time every idiot with a home they can't afford gleefully went along with this, expecting to get rich quick.

It's been a giant con, and like the best cons, the victims always think they're "in" on it and will be among the winners.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The CAD has now dropped to $0.80 since CI posted.

:getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I better pay everything I owe to americans right now.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

triplexpac posted:

Alright I have a dumb question:

Let's say you have a fixed-rate mortgage that gets renegotiated every 5 years.

So for years 1-5 you're paying things down at 3%

Then after that rates go up to 5%. But the payments you've made so far have brought down your princple, so in theory wouldn't the monthly payments work out to be pretty close?

Only if you extend your amortization period.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So far I'm feeling like my "The country's realpolitik will do whatever it takes to ensure that housing doesn't correct" thesis is holding up.

Everyone in the country just got a bit poorer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Whiskey Sours posted:

Only if you extend your amortization period.

Yeah my friend is telling me that even if rates go up in a few years, she'll have enough principle paid off that it will balance out.

I was always under the impression that a 30-year mortgage would work like OSAP: you pay off mostly interest up front, principle in the back end. Your monthly payment over the 30 years is based off the original amount of the mortgage, the only thing that changes is the rates every 5 years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

So far I'm feeling like my "The country's realpolitik will do whatever it takes to ensure that housing doesn't correct" thesis is holding up.

Everyone in the country just got a bit poorer.

This rate cut has little to do with housing IMO. The BoC is basically making GBS threads their pants because they're afraid of the impending unemployment tsunami that's putting all those tough Alberta bulldoggers out of work.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

This rate cut has little to do with housing IMO. The BoC is basically making GBS threads their pants because they're afraid of the impending unemployment tsunami that's putting all those tough Alberta bulldoggers out of work.

Yeah, but it's all butterfly effect man. If every one of these truck-nutted bulldoggers weren't leveraged out the rear end, the overall economic risk would be much more muted.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yup. Force the dollar to be lower so Ontario can pick up where Alberta left off.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I find it funny that this is being reported as if it's a huge shock when people were predicting it at least a week or two ago. Lots of people pointed out that Polosz talk of rate hikes a month or so ago was ridiculous

Most people in this country don't seem to understand that the BoC only gives a gently caress about housing, indebtedness, oil prices, employment, etc. insofar as it affects inflation. Their mandate is inflation targeting and at some point even the most political BoC management has to act to meet that mandate.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Yeah my friend is telling me that even if rates go up in a few years, she'll have enough principle paid off that it will balance out.

I was always under the impression that a 30-year mortgage would work like OSAP: you pay off mostly interest up front, principle in the back end. Your monthly payment over the 30 years is based off the original amount of the mortgage, the only thing that changes is the rates every 5 years.

My wife and I are in a similar position - we're aggressively paying down the principle on our house after we bought a place about two years ago. I'm hoping to double all our payments and do lump sums on top of that next year to minimize our interest rate risk (which today is looking kind of silly, I guess).

RE: mortgage principle vs interest: look at a good mortgage calculator (I have one I could share if you can't find one) and see how principle paydown vs interest changes over a 25 year mortgage at varying interest rates.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Baudin posted:

I'm hoping to double all our payments and do lump sums on top of that next year to minimize our interest rate risk (which today is looking kind of silly, I guess).

It can be done, but won't be easy. My dad had a similar strategy in the 90s. He paid off a 25 year mortgage in 7 years. The secretary at the bank called him "Mr. Lump Sum".

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baudin posted:

My wife and I are in a similar position - we're aggressively paying down the principle on our house after we bought a place about two years ago. I'm hoping to double all our payments and do lump sums on top of that next year to minimize our interest rate risk (which today is looking kind of silly, I guess).

RE: mortgage principle vs interest: look at a good mortgage calculator (I have one I could share if you can't find one) and see how principle paydown vs interest changes over a 25 year mortgage at varying interest rates.

The problem with early payoff now is that, if/when the housing market pops all the cash you put into a single asset disappears. With interest rates low, it would be better to diversify investments and carry the mortgage at its low rate. You can then decide later if cashing out investments to pay off the house is needed, or abandoning the house and taking the credit hit is going to provide more value.

On a very simplified level, it's foolish to pay back someone who is giving you money for less than the cost of inflation. They are, essentially, paying you to take that money and you should always keep this in mind. You won't see rates that low, of course, because banks take that cut for themselves, but you can still get very close to money being 'free'.