Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The odds of me actually playing the game as opposed to just buying pretty models is pretty low, but in the event that does happen; how are the Shasvatii, Haqqislam, and Ariadna?

Also, which faction (out of any of them) would be the cheapest to get into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Shasvastii would be the cheapest to get into (they have a lot of units that are high points-cost, so you'd need to field fewer models), but they have some of the oldest sculpts of any existing army. Honestly, I'd hold off on Shasvastii until they re-do the sectorial (next year, if the rumors are to be believed), as they're likely to get all new models. They are the "stealth" army - most of their stuff has TO Camo or ODD or whatever. Their stuff tends to be a little fragile, but they have (IMO) one of the scariest TAGs in the game (the Sphinx).

Haqqislam is great - it's a good all-around army with tons of choices and lots of dirty tricks. You won't be the best at anything, but you'll be able to do pretty much everything. Models have a wide range in points cost, so it's up to you how many models you want to buy. You can go with a list rolling hard with Heavy Infantry and field 300 points in 10 orders (less if you take a TAG) no problem.

Ariadna has some of the cheapest units in the game. As a faction, it does lots of camo and infiltration, and you can usually throw a lot of bodies at your opponent. Individually your dudes aren't usually as good (although there are notable exceptions), but weight of numbers is usually on your side. This has the side effect of meaning you typically need to buy more models, however.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The cheapest route to a 300 point army is probably the Onyx Contact Force box, and there might be some overlap with the Shavastii sectorial if you go that way in the future.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Haqqislam is the army I wish I'd started with.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

It's the one I did :D I'd say see if you can grab the new Red Veil starter, as it's beautiful.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

My friend actually has the Haqq half of Red Veil he's looking to unload. I've decide that I'll just suffer with PanO and a little Aleph for now. I don't play enough to justify a second army.

Edit: sweet Seraph btw.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

<3 thanks buddy! I'll try and get some better pictures later. I think you should totally dip in to that Haqq starter, the new Al Fasid looks amazing in both model and profile. :D

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Signal posted:

the new Al Fasid looks amazing in both model and profile. :D

Aargh it does :negative:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Edit: Wow that was a lot of drunked :words:, so here's the short version.

Played the game I'd posted about earlier in the thread. Highlights included nearly losing my Lieutenant before I even had a turn, due to careless deployment and a Mechanised Deployment Peacemaker + Aux Bot. Managed to negate that threat with the Fast Panda (so worth it), hacking the Peacemaker and then chewing it up with the Spitfire Riot Grrrl. The TR bot took everything that was thrown at it, mostly due to good dice. My opponent didn't realise the Lunokhod was a minesweeper, otherwise he probably would have put down fewer Drop Bears. At this point I'd pretty much taken the game, as the TR and mines pretty much stopped him from moving forward on the board, so my turns involved throwing people on roofs and taking out his models that on any. Took the game 8-0 on objectives, and by the end of the game had only lost the Lunokhod due to a stupid move.

Played this at my local club, so one of my friends had seen both our lists before the game and thought my opponent guy had brought a pretty strong list with him, his comment after was that if I'd tried to outgun him I would have easily lost. I needed to rely on tricksy bullshit to be competitive. Not gonna lie, a combination of some good dice, gaps in my opponent's knowledge and maybe playing to my strengths of asymmetric attacks won me it. I'm really enjoying the options Nomads and the game system in general seems to offer, rather than "run forwards, roll dice and shoot".

That said, learning about the "1 order + 1 command token = 4 people in Suppressive Fire" coordinated order trick was a proper eye-opener.

hexa fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 6, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Xeodron at 200pts is gnarly as gently caress.

+1 to Shas comments earlier. don't buy any of it until the new book hits, it's a while off but I wouldn't invest into that sectorial.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
But when the new Shasvastii sectorial (and model range) does hit, I am going to be all over that poo poo. I just love the Shasvastii conceptually, and the whole Seed Embryo thing is a colossal "gently caress you" to your opponent, especially in points-based missions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I now always associate Pierzak to Shasvastii, that's what that sectorial does to you.

Hoping CB knocks it out of the park with new Shas designs, the old ones are really bad and ugly and not in a good way. Same for my Nexus Operators though I am enjoying the idea of proxying Tinbots so my army is commanded by tiny little Batroids.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
My next game is against USAriadna. I'm already bricking it because I know my opponent is likely to be using Van Zant and a werewolf team.

How does this look? The mission is Coding Sequence, so an Engineer and/or Hacker is pretty much compulsory.

20x20 - Coding Sequence Actual 2
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

CLOCKMAKER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
REAKTION ZOND HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
LUNOKHOD Heavy Shotgun, Heavy Flamethrower, D-Charges, CrazyKoalas (2) / Electric Pulse. (0 | 25)
ALGUACIL Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)
INTRUDER HMG, Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 42)
JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10)
REVEREND MOIRA Lieutenant MULTI Rifle / Pistol, Shock CCW. (1 | 30)
ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

4 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm tempted to drop the Moira and Hacker for a Custodier Lt., but not sure where I'd spend the 5 points, plus it'd be losing the MULTI Rifle. Does mean I can turn the Zero into a Minelayer though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

My next game is against USAriadna. I'm already bricking it because I know my opponent is likely to be using Van Zant and a werewolf team.

How does this look? The mission is Coding Sequence, so an Engineer and/or Hacker is pretty much compulsory.

20x20 - Coding Sequence Actual 2

LUNOKHOD Heavy Shotgun, Heavy Flamethrower, D-Charges, CrazyKoalas (2) / Electric Pulse. (0 | 25)
REVEREND MOIRA Lieutenant MULTI Rifle / Pistol, Shock CCW. (1 | 30)
ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

4 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm tempted to drop the Moira and Hacker for a Custodier Lt., but not sure where I'd spend the 5 points, plus it'd be losing the MULTI Rifle. Does mean I can turn the Zero into a Minelayer though.

Mostly really good stuff there, you have taken sensible units, templates and long-range firepower are both there etc. The one change I can advise is to maybe swap the Lunokhod (which is a good piece, don't get me wrong) for a Stempler and Transductor Zond. This takes you to 10 orders, and Sensor is an absolutely clutch skill against Ariadna. Apart from that, it's all good. If you keep fairly tucked down into cover (bar your TR bot) and beware any snipers or other 32"+ positions on the enemy side of the table, while covering for Van Zant attack, I'd say you are well set up for success.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Mostly really good stuff there, you have taken sensible units, templates and long-range firepower are both there etc. The one change I can advise is to maybe swap the Lunokhod (which is a good piece, don't get me wrong) for a Stempler and Transductor Zond. This takes you to 10 orders, and Sensor is an absolutely clutch skill against Ariadna. Apart from that, it's all good. If you keep fairly tucked down into cover (bar your TR bot) and beware any snipers or other 32"+ positions on the enemy side of the table, while covering for Van Zant attack, I'd say you are well set up for success.

Cheers. I was told to expect mines from Ariadna, and after my last game where Minesweeper helped swing it, I figured it could do the same. Really not sure what to do about the Wolves but figured the Flamethrower could at least force dice rolls, or be used to burn off camo. Is the Stempler + Transductor plan to deploy on either side of the table, detect infiltrated camo markers and then pour fire from the other pieces?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ilor posted:

But when the new Shasvastii sectorial (and model range) does hit, I am going to be all over that poo poo. I just love the Shasvastii conceptually, and the whole Seed Embryo thing is a colossal "gently caress you" to your opponent, especially in points-based missions.

Yeah, the Shasvastii were what made me decide "alright, I'l pick up some models" (though what made me check out the thread in the first place were the gorgeous pics in the miniatures thread). I really like the idea of weak little dudes who just sneak around the place dropping traps and taking pot shots (and having a built-in "poo poo, I hosed up" trait).

Thanks for the responses guys, guess I'l wait for a newer Shasvastii starter pack to become available?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Thanks for the responses guys, guess I'l wait for a newer Shasvastii starter pack to become available?

If you're going to wait to start the game until the new Shasvastill starter is released you're going to be waiting a very long time. Start up with Haqq or check out the Onyx Contact Force box so that you'll have an army compatible with the Shas when it shows up.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

Cheers. I was told to expect mines from Ariadna, and after my last game where Minesweeper helped swing it, I figured it could do the same. Really not sure what to do about the Wolves but figured the Flamethrower could at least force dice rolls, or be used to burn off camo. Is the Stempler + Transductor plan to deploy on either side of the table, detect infiltrated camo markers and then pour fire from the other pieces?

I see what you mean with minesweeper - it still requires LoS and for the Camo to be discovered through first though. The other piece you could consider trading in is the Reverend Moira. In her you currently you have a very formidable mid-range fighting model, Ariadna will have a hard time against ODD, but you are a single crit or poor roll away from Loss of Lieutenant. If you traded her for the remotes you could afford to make an Alguacil the Lt and just rely on position to keep him safe (generally how I use my Lts) which obviously needs to take Van Zant into account.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That's what I plan to do, but it'll probably be a while. Of course I can use that time to round out my ever-growing Haqqislam force (assembling my Al Fasid right now). :derp:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

I see what you mean with minesweeper - it still requires LoS and for the Camo to be discovered through first though. The other piece you could consider trading in is the Reverend Moira. In her you currently you have a very formidable mid-range fighting model, Ariadna will have a hard time against ODD, but you are a single crit or poor roll away from Loss of Lieutenant. If you traded her for the remotes you could afford to make an Alguacil the Lt and just rely on position to keep him safe (generally how I use my Lts) which obviously needs to take Van Zant into account.

Yeah I'm still undecided on the Moira, but think the ODD could really help, even if Van Sant moves straight in for her. My other idea was a Brigada for a Lt, but it is pretty obvious who the Lt is there, but the flamethrower, extra armour and wounds could balance it out.

20x20 - Coding Sequence Actual

ZERO (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
MOBILE BRIGADA Lieutenant MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 39)

3.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
No, you've gone down to 8 orders! At least take the first list!

Sorry, but in my mind orders and number of models is king. It's what brings you tactical options, far more than the actual strength of the models you take.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

October (available in November) releases are:

Mushashi box

300 point Tohaa Army Box

Suryat box (3x plus Tinbot)

Wu Ming HRL

Shock Army Starter

Al Fasid HRL

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Cat Face Joe posted:

Suryat box (3x plus Tinbot)

God damnit. Just take my loving money, CB.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

If you're going to wait to start the game until the new Shasvastill starter is released you're going to be waiting a very long time. Start up with Haqq or check out the Onyx Contact Force box so that you'll have an army compatible with the Shas when it shows up.

How exactly does compatability work? Is there a list of what factions are compatible with what, special rules, etc.?

Or is the game lenient on faction loyalty in an army outside the subfaction stuff?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neurolimal posted:

How exactly does compatability work? Is there a list of what factions are compatible with what, special rules, etc.?

Or is the game lenient on faction loyalty in an army outside the subfaction stuff?

You can play a faction, like Combined Army, or a "Sectorial Army" that's a sublist of that faction's models, like Onyx Contact Force or Shavastii.

Sectorials trade the flexibility of being able to take any model in a faction for the ability to take link teams and have different rules for how many of a given model you can take.

So, if you decided you were into the aliens of the Shavastii and the Onyx Contact Force, you could use whichever models you want out of both of those sectorial lists if you were just taking a Combined Army force.

The easiest way to see what's what right now is to just go to the Infinity Army builder (https://army.infinitythegame.com/) and click on one of the factions at the top, and then it'll bring up a list of options for that faction that has the "vanilla" army where you can take anything and what sectorial options they currently have.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 8, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ah, I misread the post as Haqqislam being compatible with Shasvastii (which I would have been really into), my bad.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Ah, I misread the post as Haqqislam being compatible with Shasvastii (which I would have been really into), my bad.

They're very compatible, they just taste like kebab.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Haqqislam is probably one of the best anti-Shasvastii armies in the game. An abundance of high WIP, Viral, cheap chainrifes and Djanbazans say so.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

I have played the majority of my games as USAriadna. If he takes dogs and van zant at 200 points he only has 130 of regular orders to start the game with. Bring the Lunkohold again.

The dog has total immunity and so doesn't give a poo poo about fire, but the koalas, shotgun and fire all can kill him. Same with Van Zant. The koalas will give him and explosive hug and boom thete goes your 40 point big hitter.

If you get to pick initiative just go first, set up supression fire watching his extremely impetuous dog and let it kill itself on his active turn. A sin eater will also kick his rear end, if you have one.

Fjust don't leave good places to walk on for Van Zant and you're golden. It takes a full order for I'm to reveal himself and stand their like a mook. The harder it is for him to walk on and start killing, the worse an investment he is. And if he doesn't show up quickly you can make a run on his grunts, because after the first of the five dies they aren't that scary at all.

USARF is probably the weakest of the Ariadna sectorials imo. So don't be afraid to get into the mix with them.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
USARF clearly needs a predator TAG.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poop the Suryat :stare:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Where?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

He might've just noticed the renders.

(if I'm incorrect and there are actual pics, please link)

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

So I finally got around to playing my OP: Icestorm set and learning the basics with a new co-worker and we both had a blast. So much so that hes already talking about buying a 300pt army and trying to convince his brother to ditch 40k along with him. I'd like to try and build a 300pt PanO list using all of the icestorm mini's to help reduce cost as funds are limited at the moment. This is what I came up with based off of reading random internet advice for tournaments

PanO 300pt

GROUP 1 10
FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
AUXILIA (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
AUXBOT_1 Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)
BROTHER KONSTANTINOS Specialist (Infiltration) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Assault Pistol, CCW. (0 | 34)
PATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
SWISS GUARD HMG / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 68)
AKAL COMMANDO Spitfire / Pistol, E/M CCW. (1.5 | 28)
FATHER-KNIGHT Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 50)
TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

GROUP 2 2
MULEBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
NISSE MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm planning on using the ORC mini as a proxy for the Swiss Guard.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

He might've just noticed the renders.

(if I'm incorrect and there are actual pics, please link)

"I heard some puny humans were hosed over here"

(:v:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I meant pics that aren't a century old.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I went to a 'Team Tournament' yesterday - it was just a normal tournament, but you were grouped, either by the guys you came with or by fiat, into a team of 3-4, didn't play each other, and as well as the normal rankings you got told how your team did. Meh, didn't add that much IMO, but probably nice for people with an active local group to not have to play the same old faces when they've travelled.

I won 2 lost 1. The loss was my first game, against Combined Army, I hammered him in terms of models lost but I just couldn't get my guys into the right zones (we played Frontline) in my last turn - or maybe I could have, but I played drat badly and confusedly. So a frustrating first game. Second game, against Onyx, I went in swinging and crits just started popping up all over the place, on both sides. So both of us were being very aggressive, and it felt like no sooner had a maneuver paid off and killed an important piece, than the active player lost the next roll and was stopped cold. Really bizarre game, but I took it in the last turn. Last game, finally, was the easiest, against Tohaa, but a relatively inexperienced player on a too-open board.

Not a bad day out, but I think I will enjoy the next 3 weeks before I go to another event and just chill out a bit. Do some painting.

Infeckt posted:

So I finally got around to playing my OP: Icestorm set and learning the basics with a new co-worker and we both had a blast. So much so that hes already talking about buying a 300pt army and trying to convince his brother to ditch 40k along with him. I'd like to try and build a 300pt PanO list using all of the icestorm mini's to help reduce cost as funds are limited at the moment. This is what I came up with based off of reading random internet advice for tournaments

PanO 300pt

GROUP 1 10
FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
AUXILIA (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
AUXBOT_1 Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)
BROTHER KONSTANTINOS Specialist (Infiltration) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Assault Pistol, CCW. (0 | 34)
PATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
SWISS GUARD HMG / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 68)
AKAL COMMANDO Spitfire / Pistol, E/M CCW. (1.5 | 28)
FATHER-KNIGHT Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 50)
TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

GROUP 2 2
MULEBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
NISSE MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm planning on using the ORC mini as a proxy for the Swiss Guard.

If you're trying to buy less, I would note that you are buying 2 separate remote boxes to use 1 model from each, you're only using 1 Auxilia from that box, you are buying a Dire Foes box to get Konstantinos, and you are presumably buying the support box for a trauma-doc. Why not try writing a list with two Auxilia FOs, a Total Reaction remote to go with the Pathfinder, and potentially using the Machinist as well as the trauma doc?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How is that Onyx starter box thing?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Its a great deal. Good models and you basically get the remotes for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
My regular opponent has been building his Onyx box up and it's full of nasty, scary poo poo.

It's cool as heck.

• Locked thread