Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Double income on a small provs/player means blood is a lot worse than normal, blood sac excepted. Not sure how no one realized that.

Yeah blood hunting is essentially a trade of gold and pop for blood slaves. If you have double gold you are paying twice as much for slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just thought I'd share these screenshots from Dragonsareobsolete because of the pure absurdity.

I am LA Pan and this is a province I am scripting.

Which is pages and pages of this.

3 separate 20 slave communions plus chaff were converged on this province (a horrible lemur province) in order to provide two thousand six hundred siege power so that I could bust the walls in one turn and attempt a hail mary storm of the castle. I started an hour ago, and am still trying to sort out the mess. :suicide:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

3 separate 20 slave communions plus chaff were converged on this province (a horrible lemur province) in order to provide two thousand six hundred siege power so that I could bust the walls in one turn and attempt a hail mary storm of the castle. I started an hour ago, and am still trying to sort out the mess. :suicide:

Ban Lemurs. The anti fun nation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Generally, if I try something like this it always ends hilarious. Like that one time I accidentally forgot to actually move one of my multiple scripted armies, or that one time my giant communion killed nearly hundred of my mages due to bad scripting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I made one hugely embarrassing mistake with orders once. I wanted to ambush a siege force that was about to engage a fortress of mine. The plan was that garrison would patrol with the PD, and on the same turn the enemy arrived my flying, combat pretender and 60 or so flying troops would drop on the province from out of sight as surprise reinforcements. Unfortunately I neglected to give my pretender and company the correct orders, and they were set to "move" instead of "move and patrol". So as the battle began my pretender and his troops flew directly into the fortress to seek shelter while the garrison and the PD marched out to meet the enemy alone :cripes:

But then in a surprise twist the heroic garrison soldiers shattered the enemy army anyway :black101:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Magic stronk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOF0gSSNSc

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

5:02 long :stonk:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

The bogarus problem in dank memes is not going away. Please stop fighting amongst yourselves

(he has this income plus a bunch of event stuff from firebirds for sure)

Boing fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 29, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

the pure absurdity

The lemur throne win was not meant to be :smith:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
So funny story: I mistakenly moved a solo vizier from Boing's mod to attack an indie province. It won:
http://i.imgur.com/I1Ufh3y.gifv

When I tried to duplicate this feat he died, but it was pretty amazing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

The lemur throne win was not meant to be :smith:

That is as close as I've seen them get aside from that one game Jsoh was probably going to win which modpud deleted.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I won my first game!

It was only my second MP game and within a group of friends that are pretty new to the game as well. Basically, it was a disciple game that came down to the only two players who were expanding (Jotunheim and Agartha, me) fighting each other while most of the other players were spending all of their gold making a Maginot line of 100 PD provinces. Jotunheim couldn't kill my N9W9 sentinels, so I ended up winning pretty handily after consolidating my slow-rear end MM1 forces. After absorbing the second largest player in the game, steamrolling my way to the other thrones wasn't an issue.

I uploaded some lovely screenshots (mostly of battle reports, the map and score graphs) here: http://imgur.com/a/ytyfn

I started joining the dom4goons IRC channel about a month ago, asking all of my stupid newbie questions and...*sniffle*... I don't think I could have won it without you guys.

Really though... thanks for all of the help. :)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Atlanton posted:

I uploaded some lovely screenshots (mostly of battle reports, the map and score graphs) here: http://imgur.com/a/ytyfn

count_statue_dwayne_johnston_references++

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I got within two turns of a lemurs thrones victory once, then Boing attacked me. I count this as payback.

Strangely, I'm fairly sure he was rolling a dwayne johnston golem at the time too.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Testing map connection algorithm:

Got some optimizing that I could do, but this certainly seems to work. I don't see any dumb connections being generated or any missing connections. Plus this should be easily translated into text file output, since each province stores a list of neighbors.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 29, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corbeau posted:

Testing map connection algorithm:

Got some optimizing that I could do, but this certainly seems to work. I don't see any dumb connections being generated or any missing connections. Plus this should be easily translated into text file output, since each province stores a list of neighbors.

Is there a plan to support wraparound maps? It looks like the province tiling wraps around, but that the connections do not.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
The connections do wrap, you can see them going all the way across the map.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there a plan to support wraparound maps? It looks like the province tiling wraps around, but that the connections do not.

They wrap - they're just pointing across the map rather than into the void.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corbeau posted:

They wrap - they're just pointing across the map rather than into the void.

Ah, neat! Phone posting, so I couldn't see that detail.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dragonsareobsolete has finally (mercifully ended). Everyone has agreed to tap out rather than force a long grueling march that would be required for a throne victory since I have only 3 level 1 thrones in my neighborhood. Graphs are above in Boing's post.

I was LA Pan, with an S3D5 dom9 o3p3h3g0mis2magic1 awake sphinx. Her job was 1) to expand and 2) to cast burden of time someday after searching me up a death income. On the last turn she looked like this

Map

I had a relatively decent start with centaur cataphracts and the awake Sphinx giving me more than my fair share of provinces. To my southeast was Ulm, whom I attacked very early towards the end of year 1 because LA Ulm. It actually almost turned into a disaster as LordKoth managed to lay a few good PD+xbow traps and had also received that horribly powerful platemail vampire on like turn 4, necessitating that I nearly empty out my mages in order to setup a small solar rays communion to hurt him. We danced around for a little bit while my forts came online and I massed a couple hundred stymphalian birds. Once I brought them down, they obliterated the crossbow stacks in short order and allowed me to bottle him up in his cap before eventually killing him off after an extended siege.

Meanwhile, Lemuria killed off Mictlan and split Midgard with Man, Caelum suffered under a dogpile by Batz, Man and Ctis, and Tien Chi attacked Ragha who destroyed the invasion completely and counterattacked, killing Tien Chi. If I remember right Bogarus was just kinda chill with people.

After finishing with Ulm, I ended up attacking Man who managed to get up to Rain of Stones, making it impossible to quickly advance with my vulnerable communions that are the backbone of Pan's armies, turning the war into a slow moving stalemate. Since that way wasn't getting me anywhere I went ahead and attack Xibalba as well since he was quite busy with Caelum. I managed to grab a few provinces and 2 forts when I noticed Bogarus moving a huuuuge stack at me, so I pivoted my stuff to invade him since he didn't seem to have left much behind to defend himself. While his stack wandered around those stolen Xibalban palisades I steamrolled through most of his land and sieged two forts. I also went ahead and stole Xibalba's little ocean with two w1s1 Centaur Sages, UNDER DA SEA and DOWN WHERE IT'S WETTER with 2 water bracelets, a couple water bottles, a few water gems and the power of song (also UW water elementals. They are boss.) After this the war with Xibalba devolved into cold war since he was busy with Caelum who had refused to die to a 3v1 and was clawing his way back somehow.

Once Bogarus moved his army back north (after bring briefly held down in a siege by barbarians in a low supply province, causing a lot of starvation :v:), I deployed a trademark LA Pan Mass Flight/Earthquake trap which inflicted horrible losses.

After that it was just a matter of mopping up Bogarus. During this time Lemuria had continued to grow and grow and grow, accumulating a very large gem income and an ability to start generating research in respectable amounts. This is when Lemurs turn from a really bad nation filled with lovely ghosts into something a lot more dangerous. He also helpfully stabbed Man in the back and just mobbed him with ghosts, ending that stalemate. Though Man's god, a d8 raven of the underworld was nigh invincible vs the common ghost, he proved to be far less resilient to a couple of guys with black bows of botulf. After that, Man tapped out after being pushed on all sides and was swiftly overrun by enemies all around.

Now it was basically Lemuria and myself as the two great power on the map, though due to throne distribution he was 8/12 points required to win and I was 2/12. He could win without taking my thrones pretty easily. There were multiple ways for him to get there without fighting me at all. As such, I invaded Lemuria which is a horrible horrible thing to have to do, though Pan is uniquely well suited to doing so. They have cheap high siege power units (Harpies/Stymphalian Birds) which they can easily supply with N mages and wine bags, they can easily build communions to obliterate ghosts, and are heavily resistant to a lot of Lemur tricks. They can easily spam magic duel at will to remove Grand Lemurs from combat and recuperate making the ever obnoxious bane venom siege defense much less effective than it normally is.

Lemuria did of course go straight for the throne grab and got pretty close to pulling it off. Unfortunately, he had to get through Ragha or Caelum, both of whom were heavily into fire and could genocide ghosts at will with firestorm. While I ground into the blasted 0pop lands populated only by thousands of ghosts hiding in forts, they managed to hold, with Ragha pulling out the previously mentioned 700+ gem purgatory to keep ghosts permanently out of his territory. Though the Lemurs were in a good position, I had a huge income and was producing tons of centaur sages, harpies and pans every turn allowing me to absorb significant losses very easily without losing momentum along with a huge research advantage, which allowed me to eat at his provinces in a steady wave.

Though he did steal all of my globals (Mother Oak, Gift of Health, Well of Misery) and had started making Tartarians, I had been quietly alchemizing as many gems as I could in order to get my god to S9 for wish, since I had an alt site present and I knew that his n9 god was holding high gem nature globals. After wishing his god dead, I moved 2600 siege power onto a throne that he had reinforced with 2000 ghosts, knocked the walls over instantly, and then stormed leading to the great goast genocide you can watch up a few posts. After it became apparent that he could not steal thrones for an easy win and that my lead was too large for the other two players to contest, everyone tapped out ended the game rather than force the slow march to 12 throne points.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 30, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Always put everything in one army.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Always put everything in one army.

This but the opposite. When using mages you generally want to use as few as possible to limit potential losses and not waste research potential unnecessarily. The later a game is the more dangerous it is to roll around with big balls of mages, particularly if you move them offensively.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boing posted:

The bogarus problem in dank memes is not going away. Please stop fighting amongst yourselves

On the other hand Ulm no longer has an army so feel free to take advantage of that information as you see fit

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Is there a list somewhere of what things you can wish for and exactly what they do?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Harrower posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what things you can wish for and exactly what they do?

I use this list here:
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/a-guide-to-wish

I'm not sure if that's out of date or missing stuff though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

With the talk of the modgame in IRC I thought I should push out the latest version of Underhome, the mod I last updated like probably fifty pages ago or something.

Here's the download url.

(EA Underhome recruitment for a mountain/forest capital)

Underhome is a mod that includes three playable nations loosely based on fantasy dwarves from various sources, including primarily Dwarf Fortress but other sources as well. EA, MA, and LA Underhome are all complete and playable but I'm always open to balance-oriented feedback. Particular to this version is:

• The "Avatar" spell has been removed. Mountain Kings (EA) and Adamantine Kings (MA) have a second giant stone form instead that reduces their non-earth/holy magic skills but greatly increases their HP, size, and other combat-oriented stats. Mountain Kings have had their gold cost increased to be on par with Niefel Jarls as a result.
  • All adamantine troops in all eras are sacred. Their cost has been scaled up and EA Underhome now pays more gems for less troops at higher research levels than in previous versions. They are always capital-only, except in EA, where they can also be summoned. They are very powerful offensive units with good protection, but still have low-ish HP and an army of them costs a small fortune.
  • The blood summons in LA have been adjusted to summon more demons at a time, but the blood slave cost was also scaled up so they cost the same amount of slaves per summon. They've also been given two new spells: Demonic Infiltrator, a monster boar-like remote summon that increases unrest stealthily, and Advent of Armok, a powerful (and pricey) blood 9 global which causes a variety of powerful effects: your gain additional candles in your own dominion every turn, enemy dominion is weakened every turn, enemy temples are destroyed at random, and enemy priests globally are assassinated by demons. The global is sort of a test idea, I'm not sure how powerful it actually is or should be, it's hard to test that kind of thing against the AI.
  • Various other tweaks.

If there's any feedback at all in regards to the mod, I'm happy to hear them. I feel like it's mostly full on features but suggestions are always welcome, and I'm especially interested in balance-oriented feedback.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Add neruz dwarves to this mod or I ain't playin'

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just making sure that each pixel on the border knows which border it's attached to:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I Love You! posted:

Add neruz dwarves to this mod or I ain't playin'

24 attacks per square or bust

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Corbeau posted:

Just making sure that each pixel on the border knows which border it's attached to:

This is looking really good

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Boing posted:

If there ever was a time for a grand coalition guys, seriously :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

If there ever was a time for a grand coalition guys, seriously :negative:

Don't worry, Neruz made sure Lemuria can get strong enough to deal with Bogarus when the time comes. Either that or the fight between Neruz, me, Man and Lemuria drags on for long enough we're all out for the count. I don't know. I think I go sit on Neruz' cap for a while. While Lemuria goes sieging down my own cap. And Man can hopefully use the time to make some headway in our foreverwar with Lemuria.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, Neruz made sure Lemuria can get strong enough to deal with Bogarus when the time comes. Either that or the fight between Neruz, me, Man and Lemuria drags on for long enough we're all out for the count. I don't know. I think I go sit on Neruz' cap for a while. While Lemuria goes sieging down my own cap. And Man can hopefully use the time to make some headway in our foreverwar with Lemuria.

Dude you're dead, I just saw an opportunity to pick up a few extra provinces while Lemuria killed you.

But by all means come sit on my cap, its not like I have an immortal pgod who can cast earthquake or anything like that, nope.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Why is anyone fighting Lemuria

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Boing posted:

Why is anyone fighting Lemuria

Lemuria is fighting him.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Added an additional layer of complexity to reduce the hex-border feel:

e: Small change to reduce chaos:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I use this list here:
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/a-guide-to-wish

I'm not sure if that's out of date or missing stuff though.

This is great, thanks!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Technically Man, Pan and Midgard all started attacking me. Of the three of them Pan is the only one that's actually done any real damage. That's what I get for building a fort in tenuous dominion.

But yes all attention, especially Pan's, should be redirected to Bogarus. Ain't happening when I'm already at war with three people though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you deal with Lemuria in the late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

How do you deal with Lemuria in the late game

See video above where I deployed two thousand six hundred siege power to take 1 (one) fort and then stormed it with 10 guys to blow them all up. The main things you will need to fight Lemurs are S mages (to magic duel and render yourself immune to mind hunts) disease healers, ample supply, and priests to preach his dominion out. Then it's just a slow slow grind. Bonus points if you have a pale one site. Usually they have extremely bad research, though if they manage to get research like Boing did they are capable of winning.

Firestorm or Wrathful Skies are Lemur kryptonite.

• Locked thread