Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I stepped on a pallet nail at work, so I got some red wing work boots. First pair of leather boots... they weren't kidding about break in.

Also signed a lease on a sweet new apartment. Underground parking garage! I can work on my bike all winter!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It takes like 2 days to break in a pair of wings. You'll survive.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

A pair of Allen Edmonds for me.

A pair for my brother for his birthday.

They have an amazing sale going on right now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

It takes like 2 days to break in a pair of wings. You'll survive.

Idk, I bought a pair years ago and even after two weeks of daily wear they never got more comfortable. I ended up giving them away and switching to Keen boots.

On topic, I just bought some Chinese food that I hope doesn't suck. My hotel is not in a super busy area and I am too tried to explore.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

M42 posted:

Also signed a lease on a sweet new apartment. Underground parking garage! I can work on my bike all winter!!

I bet your lease agreement forbids doing any work or maintenance on a vehicle on condominium property.

I bought one of these:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thankfully, no. I always ask about stuff like that before even thinking about signing a new lease.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

M42 posted:

I stepped on a pallet nail at work, so I got some red wing work boots.

Hmm. I would have bought a tetanus shot instead of new shoes. Different strokes I guess.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

drank the coolaid and bought an overpriced bag

https://huckberry.com/store/goruck/category/p/16384-gr0-21l-black

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

It's a tank. I have a GR1 and have put it through a lot of use, including swimming in the ocean for a few days in a row with it on, over two years and it still looks perfect.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Eccles posted:

Hmm. I would have bought a tetanus shot instead of new shoes. Different strokes I guess.

Got a booster 2 years ago. All good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also have a GR0 and I find the shoulder padding the best in any bag. I also like how the bag doesn't slouch down on your back like every other backpack. I got mine for sale at $200 at the official Goruck site a few months ago.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Drinking the Kool Aid is definitely the correct way to say it. I love my bag and the challenge I did but holy poo poo those people can be a bit much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I was looking hard at them a few years ago but the lack of sternum and waist belt was a huge turnoff. I'd love to hear how it works for you.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

bunnielab posted:

I was looking hard at them a few years ago but the lack of sternum and waist belt was a huge turnoff. I'd love to hear how it works for you.

heh.. I guarantee all of the 3 other posters above who commented on my post have used the bag harder than I ever will. I just wanted a backpack that would survive a jungle hike but look simple and understated enough for urban/air travel use. the bags made by outdoor companies all come in terrible colours and had too many extraneous compartments for my taste, while the urban oriented usually have teeny/thin straps and zero back padding which makes them uncomfortable to walk around with weight or odd shaped objects in the bag. some 'tacticool' bags (e.g. 5.11 rush) would have that sparse minimalistic look with function except someone came and sprayed MOLLE all over them. goruck was the compromise, i'd have preferred 0 molle outside though (inside molle is fine, and actually pretty ingenious)

goruck does sell a sternum strap as well as a waist belt that straps to the molle points on the side, but yeah its a little ridiculous not to include them at 250-300 a bag. thankfully i won't be needing or purchasing either of those :kiddo:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bought an N64 controller because a keyboard is just so hard to use with an emulator. Been playing Blitz and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

THPS probably holds up well but I tried to play Blitz on my N64 recently and it was terrible. I used to love it as a kid but it couldn't play more than 5 mins of it now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Yea it took them a while to come out with sternum and waist straps but they have those now. The lifetime warranty of the bag really is awesome. You can absolutely destroy the thing and they'll repair or ultimately replace it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you need a waist strap? Are you guys actually putting 30lb weights in your backpacks?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do you need a waist strap? Are you guys actually putting 30lb weights in your backpacks?

I carry an embarrassing amount of crap in my work bag. But really once I got used to a sternum strap I found I can't live without one. The bag I settled on has a waist belt and while I have never used it, I find it comforting to have incase I get to wander around a city after work or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

THPS probably holds up well but I tried to play Blitz on my N64 recently and it was terrible. I used to love it as a kid but it couldn't play more than 5 mins of it now.

Well it was originally a 3 button arcade game.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

RCarr posted:

I listened to that song Superman the other day and had a nostalgia trip. Blitz is the only football game I can enjoy just due to the crazy things you can do in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grabbed a watch inspired by the ones used by the Nazi airforce.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

I finally, FINALLY got a bonus at work thanks to my boss kicking rear end in a meeting in DC so I can replace my TV and mattress, both of which are over eleven years old.

Sleep Innovations memory foam queen mattress

Vizio 50" 4K TV

Sony 5.1 surround sound + BluRay

Trip Report:
The bed is more firm than I had expected but that's a good thing. I've used memory foam toppers that were okay but kinda deflated over time. I sleep on my side and feel no pressure on my hip or knees. It felt weird at first but I love it. Holy poo poo.

The TV is bananas. My old one was 1080P and that was great but didn't have very good blacks. Since it tries to upscale every as close to 4K as possible, I'm watching old DVDs and am blown away. Deep Impact, aside from the deplorable CG, looks like it could have been filmed this year. Streaming is very fast BUT I have to stream through the Blu-ray because the TV doesn't support 5.1 ARC, as far as I can tell. The speakers are okay but I got the new speakers and I'm gonna use them, damnit!
That is kinda lovely because the TV remote has a rad keyboard on the back :(

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My wife likes to make fun of white girls and their pumpkin spice. She also loves Clif Bars on hand for when she goes out and does active stuff like hiking, etc., on the weekend.

I want to see which part of her wins out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

HAHHAHAHHAHHAh

they are really tasty. Still, HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA :laffo:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I went to Costco and saw frosted mini wheats in Pumpkin Spice. I just hung my head and got another cheese cube.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Haters gonna hate. Pumpkin spice poo poo is still great even if the internet is over it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how Pumpkin spice has no pumpkins in it and doesn't even taste anything like a pumpkin. I guess it's just the same flavorings used in a pumpkin pie.

Also Clif bars are just candy bars. I don't get how they can get away with selling it in the health food section.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how Pumpkin spice has no pumpkins in it and doesn't even taste anything like a pumpkin. I guess it's just the same flavorings used in a pumpkin pie.

Also Clif bars are just candy bars. I don't get how they can get away with selling it in the health food section.

"Energy" bars brah

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, that's literally what it is: spice for pumpkins. Vani "the food babe" Hari embarrassed herself awhile ago by campaigning against Starbucks because their pumpkin spice lattes were so unnatural that they contained no pumpkin :monocle:

Nobody tell her that Italian herb blends contain no Italians.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
food babe is one of the dumbest humans on earth or one one of the more fiscally driven ones

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

ORGANIC BROWN RICE SYRUP. It helps me power through that last cliff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vroom!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I bought 2 robes cause I tore the gently caress outta the back of my lounging around robe :(

Decided to get the BRIGHT COBALT one cause hell, why not.

Not a bad deal though. 2 big n tall flannel robes for 30$ and some change, delivered to the store. God bless clearance sales and people who have enough taste to not buy a bright blue robe.

Welp, got these in (took a week to ship to the store).

All in all, pretty awesome. The last ones I had were a thin cotton flannel, and these are a lot thinner. More like bedsheet/shirt material than flannel. Still, apparently the last ones I bought were just "One size fits all" and since I went Big n Tall on this batch, they are a lot bigger.

The blue isn't as eye wateringly blue in real life, which made me kinda sad. I was looking forward to neon blue, but alas it's more of a spring/sky blue.

They are comfy though, and that's all that matters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Goongratulations on perpetuating a Pacific Northwest stereotype. Just need the Birkenstocks. ;)

Got these a while ago, but didn't have a chance to post my nerdy findings.

In yellow and orange.

And for my buddy Crosshatch and his new bride, fancy stuff on their wedding registry list.

(click for details)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have that tea kettle. It's the bee's knees and sounds like howling damned souls when it whistles.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I got one of these for work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-CD-Q...hi+water+boiler

Water boiler.. Hot water on demand.

Have had one at home for a long time its awesome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

apatheticman posted:

I got one of these for work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-CD-Q...hi+water+boiler

Water boiler.. Hot water on demand.

Have had one at home for a long time its awesome.
pretty pricey for a kettle

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bowmore posted:

pretty pricey for a kettle

As I was looking at that I was thinking "water boiler... isn't there another name for that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

that's more like a 'hot water dispenser' though. a kettle boils the water then switches off, but that boils the water then keeps it at a constant 90-98 degrees, on the zoji you can select how hot you want it to be.

we've always had one growing up and its insane how convenient it is if you like drinking hot powdered beverages (or tea/coffee and aren't one of those THE WATER MUST BE AT A ROLLING BOIL!! people) throughout the day. since moving out to a place where I only had a standard kettle my hot drink consumption has fallen by approx. 100%