Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Skeematic posted:

Does the quick charge charger come with a Zenfone 2, or is that a seperate purchase? If separate, whats a solid charger to get?

Semi-related, the only big downside that has prevented me from getting a Zenfone 2 is the bloatware. I know that you can uninstall and disable roughly 50% of it, but does the rest that can be hidden in the app drawer run automatically, and how much of the battery does it usually chomp away at?
The 4GB Zenfone 2 comes with an 18W fast charger, the 2GB does not. As for bloat I'd personally just root and freeze it but that's not a super popular thing to do around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MycroftXXX posted:

is the 2015 Moto G (The model with more ram) a decent upgrade from the 2013 Moto X?

The SoC is more more of a lateral move to slight downgrade. The Moto G compares favorably to 2012 flagships, but it's but its more on par to slightly slower (in some areas) compared to 2013 flagships.

So, it's a great upgrade from the Nexus 4, but more of a replacement for the Moto X 2013.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The SoC is more more of a lateral move to slight downgrade. The Moto G compares favorably to 2012 flagships, but it's but its more on par to slightly slower (in some areas) compared to 2013 flagships.

So, it's a great upgrade from the Nexus 4, but more of a replacement for the Moto X 2013.

Better battery and better camera, though, which matters more IMO.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is there a way to set phone gestures (e.g. the twist-to-camera on the Moto X) on a Nexus 6?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Skeematic posted:

Does the quick charge charger come with a Zenfone 2, or is that a seperate purchase? If separate, whats a solid charger to get?

Semi-related, the only big downside that has prevented me from getting a Zenfone 2 is the bloatware. I know that you can uninstall and disable roughly 50% of it, but does the rest that can be hidden in the app drawer run automatically, and how much of the battery does it usually chomp away at?

The 4GB/64GB version comes with the quick charger, the 2GB/16GB version does not. The phone has an "auto-start manager" that allows you to block any app from running in the background on startup if desired. I just checked and I only have three ASUS apps running right now and all three are ones that need to run and take less than 75mb.

If you're buying a ZF2, Amazon has their Warehouse Deals (basically open box) selling for a decent discount. 4GB/64GB is like $255.

edit: beaten, partially.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Skeematic posted:

Get an Anker from Amazon.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Droid Washington posted:

Speaking of, whats wrong with Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X? I haven't experienced any issues but people in the thread keep mentioning how supposedly bad it is.
My 2013 Moto X with Lollipop doesn't have any issues either. I'm not sure what the problem is.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily true. Battery is a big thing. The 805 did NOT have an integrated LTE modem, it's a separate add on chip. Additionally, the 808 underwent a die shrink compared to the 805. Those two combined leads to a decent amount of power savings. LTE on the 808 is no more power hungry than WiFi. This will become even more apparent when Marshmallow is released and devices can deep sleep. Under deep sleep, the most significant power draw is going to come from the modem stack as it listens for priority push notifications. So, having a power efficient LTE modem is going to lead to even more significant power savings under deep sleep.

So, from a performance perspective the 808 isn't a significant jump over the 805. However, the 808 is a much more polished SoC.

What about going from an 801 -> 808?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does Google actually design their phones and just have the hardware manufacturer put the parts in it, or they hand it to the companies and then just sign off on it?

Google has an amazing design philosophy and comes up with some great stuff, but their phones range from meh -> ugly from an aesthetics point of view. It's a shame if they aren't dictating the design of the handsets.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xcore posted:

Does Google actually design their phones and just have the hardware manufacturer put the parts in it, or they hand it to the companies and then just sign off on it?

Google has an amazing design philosophy and comes up with some great stuff, but their phones range from meh -> ugly from an aesthetics point of view. It's a shame if they aren't dictating the design of the handsets.

Chances are they provide general specs and give the OEMs latitude within those constraints. In exchange for free marketing from Google, the manufacturer builds a "5.5 inch phone with x processor, y ram, z camera, etc"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xcore posted:

They choose an OEM they're willing to work with and who is developing a forthcoming device with a chipset they want to use as a reference for development. Then they just sort of modify that forthcoming device to fit the hardware needs they have coming for the next Android version, so in this case you're looking at the fingerprint sensor.

The point of the Nexus devices isn't to sell, it's to have a reference device for developers. You can see how Google actively competing with its OEM partners might cause friction in the ecosystem.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

In exchange for free marketing from Google, the manufacturer builds a "5.5 inch phone with x processor, y ram, z camera, etc"

What free marketing? Outside of people like us Nexus devices are practically invisible.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Okay. I'm on T-Mobile and I'm looking to upgrade from a 2013 Samsung Galaxy S4 as cheap as I can but still retaining quality. Any big suggestions?

Thank you!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Google gives the specs to the OEM and tells them to put a critical flaw in one or two areas. They also tell the OEM not to give them any kind of notice or delivery timeline on parts so Google can act completely in the dark when it comes to availability and the order process can be a clusterfuck.

Ok the Nexus 6 launch wasn't that bad.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My 2013 Moto X (Developer Edition) has been a nightmare since 5.1 (and possibly just in general): poor battery life (~16 hours on with an hour of screen time), random app crashes and bugs, horrible radio issues, and worst of all, once a week or so it'll randomly power down and upon reboot it needs to compile all of the apps again. Fun!

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Chu020 posted:

Ended up getting one of these as well. Love the phone, but battery life been an issue. I installed my usual apps and updated to 5.1 yesterday. Today I'm down to 32% after about 6 hours of use, over 2/3rds of that as standby time. Phone has been pretty warm with light to moderate use as well. Also, like 15 min of puzzle and dragons burned through 10%. On my Note 2, I could do an hour of PAD for like 5%. I know the battery on this thing isn't the largest, but this seems ridiculous for something that, by their description, should essentially have a new battery.

The only time mine got noticeably warm was when it was upgrading to Lollipop. I use it at work for Twitter, light browsing, etc, and when I come back home nine hours later the battery life is down to 56% (from %100.) I'm pretty certain though three or so hours of continuous use (say browsing/watching videos etc) would probably drain all the battery (but I have no need for that type of usage.) I can live with that. These are probably refurbished phones so in any case take advantage of your 14 day return window and ask for a replacement. For what it's worth I'm coming from a Nexus 5 2013 which had the same size battery.

starry skies above fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 4, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (Developer Edition) has been a nightmare since 5.1 (and possibly just in general): poor battery life (~16 hours on with an hour of screen time), random app crashes and bugs, horrible radio issues, and worst of all, once a week or so it'll randomly power down and upon reboot it needs to compile all of the apps again. Fun!

Magic of Android phones? I don't know. My HTC M7 was kind of flaky but my '14 X has been dead reliable. I do think the battery might be starting to show its age after a year. I don't think I'm using the phone any more than I used to but I'm finding myself running out of battery sooner than I used to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desk Lamp posted:

What free marketing? Outside of people like us Nexus devices are practically invisible.

On the play store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

On the play store.

Which as he rightly points out is mostly invisible. It's not even part of the Play Store anymore so now they're even harder to find.

The devices exist solely to be a target for the most recent APIs; the consumer end of it means nothing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the N7 (exspecially 2013) and N5 Google actually advertised to consumers quite a lot in the UK, I remember seeing a lot of posters on tube trains/stations and there were regular TV adverts. But I haven't really seen anything at all for the N6/N9. They seem to have moved towards general Android adverts now but in my experience nobody understands what they are for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey now, I was at the AT&T store and they had a Nexus 6 on display! Right with the bad Huaweis and other terrible phones no one should buy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Droid Washington posted:

Yeah I have the bamboo back and I love the look and durability of it. It's drat slippery though and I wish I had a rubberized back like I have on my 2013. Speaking of, whats wrong with Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X? I haven't experienced any issues but people in the thread keep mentioning how supposedly bad it is.

This covers a lot of it:

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bluetooth works terribly with my car stereo since lollipop. Also, you can make a phone call, and the phone app just disappears for many seconds and then suddenly pops back up with the call connected.

There's other stuff as well...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thermopyle posted:

Bluetooth works terribly with my car stereo since lollipop.

Bluetooth works terribly with my car on Kit Kat. It worked perfectly with my old S3 as well as my iPhone 5, so the BT seems to suck in general on the 2013 X.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nexus 6 down to $350
http://slickdeals.net/f/8085532-motorola-nexus-6-unlocked-smartphone-w-us-warranty-64gb-399-99-32gb-349-99-free-shipping

oh god this is tempting me just because of guaranteed VoLTE/Band 12

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had a CM based rom on my S5 and had trouble with songs slowing nearly to a halt and stuttering then fast forwarding a few seconds, this would happen on pretty much every song in the car. I was told there is an issue with Bluetooth on CM? Anyway I switched to another custom rom though based on the stock one and its fine again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to rant about an idiot and this thread is the best place, apologise in advance.

PHP developer at work asks me what phone to get, I tell him to get a Moto G.

He goes out and comes back with an EE Harrier (internet suggest the OEM is BenQ). Next day he tells me that the GPS doesn't work, scrolling is laggy, the volume buttons don't work, and the phone has rebooted by itself seven times. He asks me what to do to fix it.

So I tell him: Take it back, cancel the lovely contract they sold you, buy a Moto G, and get a SIM-only deal with Three or Giffgaff.

Two hours later he is ordering an Elephone P7000 because he saw some benchmarks and it's much better than the Moto G. The Moto G, he tells me, is "no better than my old HTC One" (M7).

I just found a review that says you can trivially bend the P7000 in your bare hands.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

I have to rant about an idiot and this thread is the best place, apologise in advance.

PHP developer at work asks me what phone to get, I tell him to get a Moto G.

He goes out and comes back with an EE Harrier (internet suggest the OEM is BenQ). Next day he tells me that the GPS doesn't work, scrolling is laggy, the volume buttons don't work, and the phone has rebooted by itself seven times. He asks me what to do to fix it.

So I tell him: Take it back, cancel the lovely contract they sold you, buy a Moto G, and get a SIM-only deal with Three or Giffgaff.

Two hours later he is ordering an Elephone P7000 because he saw some benchmarks and it's much better than the Moto G. The Moto G, he tells me, is "no better than my old HTC One" (M7).

I just found a review that says you can trivially bend the P7000 in your bare hands.

On the other hand, Elephone makes a tiny little phone for people with baby hands.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Remember when if you were on the phone with someone and you were angry with them you could slam the receiver down on the cradle as hard as you wanted to express that anger? Then somewhat later all you could do was flip the lid closed super hard. Now all you get is a tapping an on-screen virtual button with your delicate finger which is just poo poo.

Imagine though if you could then crush the loving phone into a ball right then and there! Finally, that visceral thrill of physically doing something to vent your frustration!

I'm saying it's a feature, not a bug.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember when if you were on the phone with someone and you were angry with them you could slam the receiver down on the cradle as hard as you wanted to express that anger?
Ah, the now-lost art of smashing the phone down so that you make contact with the base of the phone before engaging the disconnect button, thus demonstrating your anger to the other party and ending the call in one perfectly executed and briefly satisfying but ultimately futile motion.

FAUXTON posted:

On the other hand, Elephone makes a tiny little phone for people with baby hands.
Not the P7000 though. It's so huge they made part of the bezel black just to make the screen appear bigger than it actually is.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 4, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

Remember when if you were on the phone with someone and you were angry with them you could slam the receiver down on the cradle as hard as you wanted to express that anger? Then somewhat later all you could do was flip the lid closed super hard. Now all you get is a tapping an on-screen virtual button with your delicate finger which is just poo poo.

Imagine though if you could then crush the loving phone into a ball right then and there! Finally, that visceral thrill of physically doing something to vent your frustration!

I'm sold. Send me three.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Its a great phone. You get used to the size really quick.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
My moto X 2013 dev edition has been slow as poo poo since 5.0. Lag on the keyboard even. That's in addition to the restarts, lovely radios, and other stuff. I wish there was a way to roll back Android easily.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LastInLine posted:

This, but who talks on the phone these days? I prefer all of my debates and arguments to be taken completely incorrectly without having the benefit of voice inflection so handle all of these matters via text.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The fact that the Nexus 4 models got 5.1.1 (I have no idea how it runs on them) tempts me into getting one of these. Esp if I could just take it wherever on a whim.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BigBoss posted:

My moto X 2013 dev edition has been slow as poo poo since 5.0. Lag on the keyboard even. That's in addition to the restarts, lovely radios, and other stuff. I wish there was a way to roll back Android easily.

There is, you just buy a Nexus

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

There is, you just buy a Nexus

He has a dev edition. Moto makes the images available just like a Nexus device.

Pure editions are like that too, so the 3rd gen should be just like a Nexus device in that regard.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kensei posted:

The fact that the Nexus 4 models got 5.1.1 (I have no idea how it runs on them) tempts me into getting one of these. Esp if I could just take it wherever on a whim.

If you can ignore the aging battery and Sleep of Death issues, 5.1.1 on the Nexus 4 runs okay.

Seriously though...N4 likes to randomly lock up while in sleep mode and you can't do anything but hold the Power button to reset it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

bull3964 posted:

Thanks!

That is actually tempting

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

The nexus 6 was a great phone at twice the price, the first phone I had where I didn't think about upgrading 6 months later. It was a bit of a gamble banking on the nand performance getting fixed, and I wish that camera software would be equal to its hardware, but at 350 its a no brainer. Though I still miss the Moto X customizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Unless you need a phone right away, I don't see why you'd buy a Nexus 6, even for $350, when the Moto X Style/Pure and new Nexuses are going to be $350-450.