Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
brad release his top 10 worse, his number one sounds epic and was a palate cleanser after the long and depressing talk about war room.

also to bring it up to the Oscars, WITTNESS ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Max Wilco posted:

An indie paper crossword where one of the questions pertains to a angry YouTube review of an Adam Sandler comedy film about video games which was loosely based on a short film. :pwn:

What was the clue/answer?

The theme was "Worst of Pop Culture, 2015."

The clue was "2015 Adam Sandler movie that got an epic ten-minute review/rant from 'MovieBob Reviews' on YouTube."

The answer was... well, you know.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Marvin Gaye is a really really lame and unsexy song and idk how they managed to make such an unsexy song but they did it lmao

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

An indie paper crossword where one of the questions pertains to a angry YouTube review of an Adam Sandler comedy film about video games which was loosely based on a short film. :pwn:

What was the clue/answer?

Nothing too elaborate: [2015 Adam Sandler movie that got an epic ten-minute review/rant from "MovieBob Reviews" on YouTube] with the answer PIXELS. Your opinion on the word "epic" may vary. It was part of a "worst of 2015" theme he did.

Not the first time I've seen a nerd culture reference in an indie crossword either. The AV Club Crossword had references to Anita Sarkeesian a while back, and Adam Baldwin in Gamer Gate context within the last year. One of the ways they can keep things current compared to the New York Times.

I really just need to get a crossword/puzzle thread going here. Would PYF be appropriate, or would that fall under Games?

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. Though if you want some thread content,check out crossword reviewers Rex Parker and Amy Reynaldo.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 15, 2016

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
On the subject of end-of-year lists, Rap Critic put up his top 8 of 2015. There are a lot of pretty serious tracks (holy poo poo, that Tech N9ne song is bleak) but it's a good mix of stuff. (Also reminded me I need to pick up the new Lupe Fiasco album!)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Puppy Time posted:

That Marvin Gaye video is super gross to me, mainly because nobody appears to have ANY sex appeal, so it just turns into a bunch of people mashing their flesh together mechanically. That and, as Todd points out, neither performer has any sex appeal. It's very much like watching a wholesome relative try to be sexy.

The fact is no one in the video is doing anything sex. They move close and in different combinations because the risque part is apparently "omg sex exists we're edgy".

Two girls can have sex? EDGY!
Two guys can kiss? SUPER EDGY!
More than two people? EPIC EDGY!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

also to bring it up to the Oscars, WITTNESS ME!

Also to bring up the Oscars the complaints of lack of PoC nominations and then the equally insane and inane backlash.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tracula posted:

Also to bring up the Oscars the complaints of lack of PoC nominations and then the equally insane and inane backlash.

I still think Michal J. Jorden should of got a nom for creed, this year the actor/actress nomination reek of so many Oscar bate roles.

and even though she is not a PoC Charlize Theron should of gotten a place for best actress for Mad Max.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

lornekates posted:

Two girls can have sex? EDGY!
Two guys can kiss? SUPER EDGY!
More than two people? EPIC EDGY!

To be fair, that IS edgy... if you time-traveled back to the 50's/60's.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Cyron posted:

Oscar bate roles.

I hereby nominate this typo to become an accepted term, to replace "self-indulgent award-chasing cinematic masturbation."

"Bridge of Spies? The director was obviously Oscarbating there."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

lornekates posted:

I hereby nominate this typo to become an accepted term, to replace "self-indulgent award-chasing cinematic masturbation."

"Bridge of Spies? The director was obviously Oscarbating there."

"Oscarbation" does have a certain ring to it...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm liking Phelous's new angle of reviewing low quality cartoons and bootleg stuff, but it would be nice if he did some horror films every now and again still.

He's done a handful of them, but he seems like he's really changed direction since Channel Awesome. It works well though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I think it's mostly his completionism when it comes to reviewing everything related to a franchise or even a name. How much time did he spend on reviewing movies that had a name that contained the word pulse? Or had a name or title (or working title) related to the boogieman? It's just that this time he chose animated movies from GoodTimes, which is a very fascinating company since they had the same business model as The Asylum does.

He does still review horror movies occasionally but I really do appreciate the change of pace of GoodTimes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also wonder if he has to be more careful about copyrights on youtube.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like his horror stuff still, but god drat I love his terrible cartoon reviews. I was really excited to see the horrible dinosaur review, since I've actually watched that. It is every bit as insane and incomprehensible as it seems.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbh28j11RQ

Jesus Christ.

I'm almost afraid to add anything else to this because all the commentary on it seems to form a feedback loop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm almost afraid to add anything else to this because all the commentary on it seems to form a feedback loop.

I think the best part of this video is you should probably just watch Room 237.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If anyone has been wondering what Folding Ideas has been up to, Dan got some kind of grant to make a short film about MRA's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWKFZnejW8. On his youtube channel are a bunch of production vlogs about it. Plus a LP of Undertale.

Edit: Grr, how does embedding tweets work?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 18, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

If anyone has been wondering what Folding Ideas has been up to, Dan got some kind of grant to make a short film about MRA's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWKFZnejW8. On his youtube channel are a bunch of production vlogs about it. Plus a LP of Undertale.

Edit: Grr, how does embedding tweets work?

just link the tweet and put [url] tags around it

https://twitter.com/dril/status/685870817528442881

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

COol, thanks. Anyway, heres who Dan got to play Aruni

https://twitter.com/GriffinCork/status/687773820208283649

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Plus a LP of Undertale.

But of course :shepface:

VolticSurge posted:

To be fair, that IS edgy... if you time-traveled back to the 50's/60's.

Depending on who you talk to in America, those things are the most devious things in media. I mean what really got GTA San Andreas in the news? Locking someone in a car and throwing the car into the ocean so he drowns? Tying a man on your windshield and driving into oncoming traffic, giving him a weak heart and putting him on a wheelchair and eventually having him have a heart attack when you meet up with him again? Countless acts of car theft and murder?

Nope, the sex minigame that you couldn't even access normally. Scandalous

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think the best part of this video is you should probably just watch Room 237.

I kinda thought the guy who was talking about the genocide of the Native Americans had a point.

Everyone else was an endearing crazy person.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kinda thought the guy who was talking about the genocide of the Native Americans had a point.

I think the guy talking about the Weimar Republic stuff was selectively edited to sound crazy. He's a historian who specializes in the Weimar period and has published on Kubrick. His argument seems to boil down to the fact that Kubrick was researching a film on the holocaust as he was shooting and that you can see him drawing on ideas and images from that project to make The Shining. That seems reasonable to me, even if his one specific example of the wolf at the door is weak as hell.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
What does Cinema Snob watch after all the Christmas and Jesusploitation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIt5pC4Ghq4

gently caress yeah, Cannon Films!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcbl0Paxy0

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I felt that it front loaded all the reasonable theories in the 1st half, then it just got ridiculous. It basically felt like this towards the end. https://youtu.be/IhLYfLmKMFg?t=2m44s

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Jesus Christ.

Critique has inherent bias, ego exists and fuels most if not all creative work in some way, people interpret things differently and usually not in the precise ways the creator(s) of a work intended, editing happens, some people make really goofy logical leaps to fit preconceptions that have no intrinsic or extrinsic evidence to support them, sometimes a work reflects its author(s) but typically creative work is too complex to truly reflect its author(s) in whole, critics are big jerks that just want to steal my cred and deface my work, and if you disagree you're just posturing for validation and attention but so am i so stalemate!!!

I'm glad that, even as the medium gradually evolves, we'll always have lots of juvenile navel-gazing to point out the really basic nature of creative work/critique and dressing it up as a revelatory secret about the deepest depths of the human condition.

Honestly, Beginner's Guide seems well-crafted and kinda clever, and Errant Signal did some clever stuff with his video, but the overarching message just comes off as circular nonsense. but i guess i'm just projecting woah i fell into their trap oh no!

fake edit: For the record, the message that you maybe shouldn't make massive snap judgements about creators based on their work is a good one, considering how lovely ~gamers~ are about that kind of thing on a regular basis, and the fact that swathes of people actually thought that everything said in the game is a really real thing that actually happened is just... simply incredible.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 20, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's completely ridiculous that I can look up a professional video game review on Metacritic that says "It's not even a video game" in the front quote. This passes for criticism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

It's completely ridiculous that I can look up a professional video game review on Metacritic that says "It's not even a video game" in the front quote. This passes for criticism.

Has there ever been a movie widely received as "not even a movie"? I feel like even in the adolescence of film, it was always made and received primarily by people who were mental and social adults.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Has there ever been a movie widely received as "not even a movie"? I feel like even in the adolescence of film, it was always made and received primarily by people who were mental and social adults.

Maybe the really awful _____ Movie movies

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Movies with an absurd amount of filler to meet time requirements I've heard referred to as "only barely a movie" or "only technically a movie". Specifically various things the Cinema Snob, Hagan, and Movie Mastery would review.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Blue?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I remember watching a video where someone spent 30 solid minutes genuinely unironically pondering why we couldn't just make "walking simulators" an entirely different medium. Not genre, medium, because they don't have loss states and therefore are not games...?

I don't even remember what they filled that video with to make it 30 minutes, I just know it was about two years ago and even then I was wondering how the christ we weren't past that utter non-argument.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Well, you know, aside from several dozen genres and artistic endevours that aren't plot-driven, and the countless number of early films that were "a train pulls into the station" material-- aside from ALL OF THOSE, has there every been a movie that wasn't a movie?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

According to Confused Matthew 2001 isn't a movie :v:

I dunno though. I'd say some Adam Sandler stuff could fit in there when it's just an excuse to pay his SNL friends or jam in tons of product placement.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Movies with an absurd amount of filler to meet time requirements I've heard referred to as "only barely a movie" or "only technically a movie". Specifically various things the Cinema Snob, Hagan, and Movie Mastery would review.
The Creeping Terror fits that to a T, and it's maybe the movie I hate most, but I'd still say it is an actual movie.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'd say Monster A-Go-Go is borderline

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Any of those 1313 David DeCoteau movies, or something directed by Andy Warhol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think most people would call Blue a documentary or a film essay or something. Warhol's movies are a great suggestion and I will for sure agree.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Clearly only 40-something years from Pong being released we have already got the potential of video games pegged completely and any experiments that diverge from these well-worn, cemented, decade-old rules are just not video games :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Listen if we start broadening the definition of video games then maybe people who aren't the current mainstream demographic might start playing them or even making them, and that'll just ruin everything. But they're still art and you still have to take them seriously and not make fun of me for playing them all day.

• Locked thread