Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I took a vestal, Maa, leper and Hellion with the vestal being guarded by the Maa. She got hit by revelation once but otherwise I was outspeeding them or getting lucky. Waltzed through it too, but I buffed up crit chance and got some huge ones. I honestly got more frustrated at the next mission than that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Nakar posted:

EDIT: According to the Wiki and the game files, the base damage on Revelation is 16-26, and Revelation cannot crit. How are you taking 30+ damage from it?

Would "+20% Stress Dmg" effects apply to the health damage a stress attack does as well?

I don't think having fights that are dependent on guarding a vulnerable party member are such a bad thing. There's plenty of precedent for it before the Darkest Dungeon, with marking enemies and bosses like the Prophet and Swine Royalty. Also giving exactly three unique protective trinkets in the prior mission is a pretty big hint.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zombie Samurai posted:

Would "+20% Stress Dmg" effects apply to the health damage a stress attack does as well?
As far as I know, no. Health and Stress damage are distinct effects. And I don't think you can have negative Prot. There might be other factors causing damage to be higher, but short of a debuff or a buff on the miniboss I don't know what. The files are very clear about how much damage Revelation is supposed to do.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Invictus posted:

GODDAMMIT MCDOWELL

Once I started collecting ancestral trinkets I swore off gambling and drinking altogether. Fortunately the need for stress relief goes down the further in game you manage to find yourself, so it's not a huge sacrifice.

Speaking of which, I've only two left to recover, but one of them (the idol) I haven't seen as a quest reward for anything. Is that one dropped by shamblers only?

Gabriel Pope posted:

You can't lose money in the Cloister
You can, actually. I once had a meditating Occultist tithe 1000 gold in a religious fervor after what I presume to be a particularly meaningful bout of self-examination.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Tentacle Idol is a Shambler drop, yes. At least I think so. Not sure if it can appear in a Champion Long. If you're no longer being offered Ancestral trinkets from Champion Long dungeons, and you still don't have the achievement, you probably have to get them from the Shambler.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're right nakar, it was 34 stress damage not physical damage, but she was taking enough physical damage from the revelation two turns in a row was enough to bring her to death's door, I believe he did a lacerate or whatever his two person hit is on turn 1 to hit her and the plague doctor as well, which caused the extra damage to make her heal pointless when the second revelation hit when followed by the tail barrage.

Basically she had 40 health and the revelation was hitting for 20+ each time(26 is the max, right?) followed by the lacerate on turn 1, and barrage on turn 2. There's nothing short of a crit heal that would've saved her unless I had a man at arms or houndmaster.

In short, I'm gonna be a bitch here and ask if there's a way to give me a fourth torch, editing something in the files, etc. I'm totally fine with the gimping by requiring the torches so I only get 1 trinket of my choice, but not the dumb forced class gimmick.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
take a guard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Never

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
man at arms and man at dog are good

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Just take Miron instead of two others.

Kidding, Miron needs two Talismans to get full coverage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have 3 rank 6 man at arms and a rank 4 dogman, I like them

I am just against being forced to take specific classes on runs

I realize it's me being a bitch about the game design but in a game with so many options I don't like being forced to take any one class on a mission, the entire game I've been able to build my own teams and being forced to take specific ones I think is bad

hence the caveat from the prior post

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
so what is your opinion on healer classes in this game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Afraid of Audio posted:

healers? who needs healers

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

MinibarMatchman posted:

DAZED. REELING. ABOUT TO BREAK.

http://imgur.com/Av2mwkx

Ted Nugent's Steam account identified.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Afraid of Audio posted:

man at arms and man at dog are good

scholars speak of a hypothetical "dog at arms", destined to usher in a new age of prosperity

anyway no more fatjokes, nerds. it's time for inexplicable fanart

dazed... reeling... about to dance...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

dazed... reeling... about to dance...

Holy poo poo I want this

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

very nice

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I was wondering why this looked so weird and then I realized its because I can see their eyes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darkest Dungeon takes place in the same universe as LucasArts' Full Throttle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

You're right nakar, it was 34 stress damage not physical damage, but she was taking enough physical damage from the revelation two turns in a row was enough to bring her to death's door, I believe he did a lacerate or whatever his two person hit is on turn 1 to hit her and the plague doctor as well, which caused the extra damage to make her heal pointless when the second revelation hit when followed by the tail barrage.

Basically she had 40 health and the revelation was hitting for 20+ each time(26 is the max, right?) followed by the lacerate on turn 1, and barrage on turn 2. There's nothing short of a crit heal that would've saved her unless I had a man at arms or houndmaster.

In short, I'm gonna be a bitch here and ask if there's a way to give me a fourth torch, editing something in the files, etc. I'm totally fine with the gimping by requiring the torches so I only get 1 trinket of my choice, but not the dumb forced class gimmick.

There's always the "cross your fingers and pray" strategy. The templars aren't scripted to focus fire the guy without a torch, so you just got unlucky. When I did that mission my man-at-arms only wound up intercepting a single Revelation between all 4 templars.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So does anyone know if you can lose boss trinkets from the bar / gambling hall? And if you do lose boss trinkets, can you ever get them back?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Would play Darkest Dancer

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't like being forced to take any one class on a mission, the entire game I've been able to build my own teams and being forced to take specific ones I think is bad

I did it first try without a guard. Dont remember my full party comp but i had a leper (pre buff too) and he was the one without a torch and i know i also had an occultist.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RIP Darkest Dungeon we had a good time but now I need to say goodbye.

Occultist/Jester/Abo/Hellion.

Once someone kept being afflicted and everyone was getting shuffled around it was over.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The biggest tip I got for that fight is don't kill the cultist. Not only does the pylon's buffs and guards make the fight way more difficult, but the shuffling horror's massive party-wide stress attacks means you're on a terrifyingly short timer before your party begins eating heart attacks

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

basically he made this mod, and then at some point it drove him crazy to the point where I think even Jim Sterling had to tell him to get out of his ask.fm for being a weirdo
https://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/4/618453594742695196/

just google his username and Darkest Dungeon and you'll probably get a zillion results across a tremendous degree of websites, it's amazing

I took your suggestion and googled it, and holy poo poo does this guy write some insanely egotistical rants. Basically he's mad that the devs didn't take the changes from his mod and incorporate them into the actual game. And he somehow convinced himself that there must be some sort of conspiracy against him because they didn't want to incorporate his dumb mod.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

FrickenMoron posted:

RIP Darkest Dungeon we had a good time but now I need to say goodbye.

Occultist/Jester/Abo/Hellion.

Once someone kept being afflicted and everyone was getting shuffled around it was over.

remember what happens when you attack/kill wilbur?

don't kill the cultist. plague doctor works wonders in this fight: stun the cultist and blight the horror. horror takes two turns so each blight cast will do 12 damage. keeping the cultist stunned will keep your guys healthy while they chip away at the horror

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

I think we've all had that moment where the RNG turns a pretty standard enemy into a dark god of slaughter and a bloodsoaked champion of the enemy forces.
The Highwayman and Vestal seem vaguely annoyed at most about their predicament, though.

The armor-ripped-off-by-a-tentacle thing is by the same artist who did the Plague Doctor with the giant enema bulb picture from earlier in the thread, SkeeN. I was searching to see if they'd done any other DD related stuff and I found this, instead.

END THIS ONE.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
One vaguely wonders where Wilbur learned human semaphore.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Crasical posted:

BUY THESE TWO.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just did the first darkest dungeon mission

rip dismas, random crusader. ended up with a selfish graverobber and a hopeless vestal swatting at the priest until he eventually died via pick

game really doesn't gently caress around in there, does it

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Koldenblue posted:

So does anyone know if you can lose boss trinkets from the bar / gambling hall? And if you do lose boss trinkets, can you ever get them back?
You cannot get Trophies back because they only drop off the Champion-tier boss and you can never fight those again.

I think they introduced some hardcoded exceptions or claimed they have or are trying to, but just looking at the code there are no restrictions on what kind of trinket can be lost, you can just straight-up lose any trinket. If there are any checks to avoid losing once-only trinkets I don't know of them (although I've never heard of anyone losing the torches from the Darkest Dungeon itself, thankfully, so there may indeed be exceptions).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

So I'm still relatively new to Darkest Dungeon, only played once during EA up to Veteran and got my rear end beat. I've learned a lot from this thread, overprepared for everything, and this game I'm on right now is going great. Killed all the Apprentice bosses except the Crew, got plenty of money and heirlooms, most of my people are level 3 and upgraded, only lost two mercs so far to a really boneheaded run, etc.

Today after killing the Flesh, I found that the only run worth doing was a Long Veteran mission in the Weald. This is my first Long mission, my second Veteran mission this game, and my third Veteran mission ever. I was nervous, but like I said I've learned a lot and overprepare for everything.

You know what comes next.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

just did the first darkest dungeon mission

rip dismas, random crusader. ended up with a selfish graverobber and a hopeless vestal swatting at the priest until he eventually died via pick

game really doesn't gently caress around in there, does it

That's the easy mission. Good luck.

Captain Invictus posted:

I realize it's me being a bitch about the game design but in a game with so many options I don't like being forced to take any one class on a mission, the entire game I've been able to build my own teams and being forced to take specific ones I think is bad

You don't. I nuked through them with two hellions, a vestal and an arbalest. Buy all the supply items and keep yourself topped and buffed up before every bossfight. I think I gave the arbalest +hp and -stress trinkets in lieu of having a torch. She eventually afflicted, but didn't hit heart attack. Buy and use camping anti-stress skills if need be to ensure sufficient recovery. Fight the double boss last or first so you can gauge whether you need to retreat for a redo(although keep in mind this sacrifices a random party member).

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're that set on not using a class with a guard skill, you can try making your non-torchbearer a dodge-focused character like a Grave Robber or Jester and hope for the best. (I'd recommend Grave Robber over Jester because you really want good damage-dealing capability to rush down the Templars, they hit hard but die easy.)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

Vestal is the best for actual HP healing, but that is situational at best. Only worry about HP once the fight is fully under control with all/most enemies dead or stunned. But with double +heal trinkets and some luck, she can keep you going really well.

PD does little for your HP (except for camping, where he shines), but being able to clear DoTs from one hero plus himself is priceless and only gets more important as the game goes on.

Occultist is a lottery, but he's come through for me more often than not. Trimkets that give a -% on bleed are a good thing on him.

I know this thread is not keen on the Jester, but he has just works so well for me. The double-bleed, stacking buff and stress relief makes him ideal for an Abomination party, hopefully with a Hellion and a PD or arbalest. Between all the crits he gives everyone and his stress heals, my parties usually come out of the expeditions needing no costly/time-consuming trips to the Tavern or church at all.

What is the best way to use the Grave Robber? Last I played she was underwhelming, but I have been away for some sime.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sephyr posted:

What is the best way to use the Grave Robber? Last I played she was underwhelming, but I have been away for some sime.

My take on the grave robber is that even though she's not usually the MVP in my party, there's never been a situation where I thought "wow, I really wish I hadn't brought along this grave robber". She can function well from any position without needing major changes to her skillset, so she's particularly good against enemies that gently caress with your party order. She's got excellent accuracy, dodge and crit rates, deals reasonable amounts of damage to any enemy position, can take advantage of marks to some extent with Thrown Dagger, and is also okay at inflicting blight and stuns if you feel the need for those. Her only real drawback is her low HP. There are situations where a specific class will work better than the grave robber, but there are very few where the grave robber is an active liability.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
3 grave robbers and an occultist is some hilarious poo poo let me tell ya

oh you shuffled me? now i get 3 guaranteed lunges instead of only 1

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Grave Robbers are good at dishing out damage and good at avoiding damage. Thrown Dagger with a mark in place yields solid returns and Poison Dart (with trinkets to boost its effectiveness) is a great DOT dealer - especially when paired with someone else who can reliably stun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sephyr posted:

The graverobber excels at alpha striking squishy enemies on the first round. The graverobber has a ridiculously high 8 speed without any upgrades, and an equally impressive damage and crit rate on her Thrown Dagger attack. If she doesn't crit, whatever she attacked can probably be mopped up easily by one other character, possibly even by an AoE attack. The Graverobber is best added to parties that need a row 3 member and who are low on the ability to strike the back row. Once the stress dealers are down she can chuck blight darts at any enemy on the map to wear down foes with high Protection.

She is most similar to the Arbalest, with the Graverobber generally being faster and squishier with more offensive options and better ability to strike the front row, while the Arbalest is slower but much more durable, with the ability to heal others. The Arbalest benefits immensely from marked targets, while the Graverobber gets a very small benefit. In general the Graverobber is best on the first round of combat, while the Arbalest is better later in the fight when targets are marked and party members are wounded.

I like the Graverobber in the Ruins and the Weald. In the Ruins she is great for sniping goblet skeletons and cultist stress casters, and once those are dead she can transition to blighting the heavily armored fat skeletons, shield skeletons, and gargoyles. The Weald has multiple fast dodgy foes that she counters well, and her flexible targeting and self-moving attacks make her very resistant to being shuffled by the giant. The Warrens is a poor place to take her as the foes there frequently have too many hit points for her to alpha strike easily, and her high accuracy is wasted against their lousy dodge scores. They are generally resistant to her blight darts as well. She works well enough in the Cove for much the same reasons as she works in the ruins, but you may want to equip her Toxin Trickery skill or a bleed resistance trinket if you're going to the Cove. Her high speed combined with the Pinch Crab's low speed can mean she gets Arterial Pinched as the last round of combat, and then immediately goes first on the next round, taking the enormous bleed damage that attack inflicts.