Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
People have definitely found references to a New Game+ in the data files, things like the up-scaling of item stats etc. No real information on how to activate it yet, maybe it's locked off for now for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

I checked the rewards.xml and dispelling the noonwraith gets you exactly 50 XP.

Ok so is leveling just really slow then? I've been doing quests and stuff and I'm only about half way through level 1.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Ok so is leveling just really slow then? I've been doing quests and stuff and I'm only about half way through level 1.

Outside of the main quests, you get very little xp. Having said that though, once you leave the tutorial area, you get so many secondary quests and contracts that you'll probably be overleveled by the time you've done half of the main quests in act 1.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I love how smug Geralt looks when somebody says "We can take on a witcher!"

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Caught Gwent cheating.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 5, 2015

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Just saw a chair in the air above the Oxenfurt harbor. Was about 3 stories up just hanging there. Weird.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Zoo06 posted:

Just saw a chair in the air above the Oxenfurt harbor. Was about 3 stories up just hanging there. Weird.

Radovid's throne.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Every single contract where I have to investigate a scene to find out what caused the mess I always think it's a werewolf. Like no matter what. "Hm, giant tracks, blood everywhere." Werewolf? Nope, it's a Fiend. "Deep claw marks on the body, looks to be eviscerated." Surely a werewolf. Nope, Swamp Hag.

I am the worst witcher detective :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tamayachi posted:

Every single contract where I have to investigate a scene to find out what caused the mess I always think it's a werewolf. Like no matter what. "Hm, giant tracks, blood everywhere." Werewolf? Nope, it's a Fiend. "Deep claw marks on the body, looks to be eviscerated." Surely a werewolf. Nope, Swamp Hag.

That one werewolf quest must have been Christmas for you.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

Not a lot of werewolves in this game. I've seen maybe 4 all together.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not Earth and there is definitely interstellar/interdimensional travel in the Witcher. There's no real reason to believe that humanoid life originated on this world. One theory is that the Witcher world is a colony collapse scenario, in which Elves and Dwarves were genetically-engineered colonists and built a low-population ecologically friendly paradise colony. An unknown cataclysm brought many basic human refugees with suspiciously advanced technology (for example the ability to design and create the Witcher mutants) and hordes of monsters. The elven paradise and the advanced human technology collapsed with a suddenly much larger population, dangerous monsters, and lack of industrial base on Elf World. In the time (how long???) since the Conjunction human civilization has struggled back to a Renaissance level and systematically displaced the eco-friendly slow-breeding Elf subspecies while dominating the Dwarf subspecies. The size of some elf ruins also suggests that pre-Conjunction civilization was more technologically advanced. As of Witcher 3 it's indisputable fact that phenotypically identical elves live on multiple worlds. Occam's Razor suggests a common origin: elves must have been colonists at some point.

It's just conjecture, but it is plausible and explains why humans and elves are interfertile and why science is surprisingly advanced in some areas like microbiology.

Adding on to this. The White Frost is a phenomenon that exists in the network of conduits between worlds. It's either a defect/damage that's grown over time or the natural entropic byproduct of obscene amounts of borrowed energy. In either case it's casually but predictably rolling through the ancient transit system and freezing out every world it hits. The Red Riders abuse it to slip between worlds without having to care about the timing or location of gateways, dragging the chill with them and probably hastening the end of the worlds they plunder. Ciri is important as a biological Source because she's an energy antenna, pulling in power from some mysterious other place. She's able to stop the White Frost by repaying the energy debt and stopping the reaction. The worrying part is that it's not clear where her energy actually comes from. If it's a closed system, all she's doing by stopping this White Frost is planting the seed of another somewhere or somewhen else in the universe.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WastedJoker posted:

Who the gently caress plays a video game and notices the lack of coloured people?

do these people step away from overly white-populated areas in shops in case someone thinks they're racist?

I hope historians preserve this in the Smithsonian or British Natural History Museum as "The Whitest Post Ever Typed."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vanderdeath posted:

I hope historians preserve this in the Smithsonian or British Natural History Museum as "The Whitest Post Ever Typed."

hmm actually I think it might be this one

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok,

So since I'm just about to beat witcher 2. And the story is quite deep in some parts..

Let's talk Story: Witcher 1:
Prologue:
-You start off with amnesia and barely alive and found by your friends at Kaer'Moren
-everyone's amazed to see you because you apparently died 5 years ago in a riot which your friends all saw you die and put you on a boat into the river.
-While trying to recover, Kaer'Moren and the witchers get attached by Salamandra led by Azar Javed and The Professor which steal the witcher mutagens to make more witchers
-You and your witcher cronies set off to different parts of the world and since you lifted the curse in Temeria for King Foltest, you go there to see if the king can help you this time.
Chapter 1:
-You arrive in the outskirts of the Kings Capital of Viszima and find a young kid named Alvin who happens to be demonically possessed and Belts out Illethanes Prophecy without ever having heard of it or old enough to understand it.
-You give Alvin to your friend Shanni, who gives him to the witch to help him understand his mage powers.
-Witch gives up the boy to Salamandra.
-You also find you can't get in to visima and the king is gone, so you get to solving Monster problems of "The Beast"
-You beat the gently caress out of the beast, kill all the people in Geralt fashion and get into Viszima but are arrested once you try and enter.
Chapter 2:
-You get released from jail as long as you can kill the Cockatrice
-You meet a dildo virgin named Siegfried in the sewers from "The Order of The Flaming Rose" Formerly known as "The Order Of The White Rose". And kill the cockatrice
-You get released and Proceed to hit up the local detective to find Salamandra
-You find that Azar Javed wants to get into an old Mage tower in the swamp to get some book.
-After doing a bunch of quests you get attacked, The detective goes into hiding after getting too close and his life is in danger.
-Azar Javed cast a spell to look like the detective and killed the detective and now uses the witcher to try and get into the tower.
-After you get into the tower, you fight Azar javed because you knew the gig was up and they get away.
-this is where you picked either helping the elves or helping the order changes the outcome of Chapter 2 of who defeated who.
Chapter 3:
-You awake in Triss Meritits bed and proceed to find out that salamandra is looking for that boy Alvin.
-You go get Alvin and bring him to either shani or Triss to look after.
-You find out that Vincent, captain of the guard is actually a cirme fighting werewolf. You either kill him or help him remove the curse.
-you help either the order at the bank heist or the Elves at the bank heist to fund the war.
-You find salamandra is working with the princess Adda (who you removed the curse from) and a couple others in the royal court and find out that Foltest decrees are being forged which is why everything is poo poo.
-End of the chapter you kill The Professor and Triss saves your life by teleporting you to the countryside.
-Alvin Also teleported ot the countryside when the guards came for Alvin.
Chapter 4:
-countryside is a boring wreck, you find boromir finally, the witcher you thought sold out the secrets to Kaer'Moren.
-Turns out he did sell out the secrets because he doesn't want to be an infertile freak and just wants Hugs and cuddles.
-After some stomping around you find that you either help the order kill the Elven rebels or you help the elves kill the order.
-At the end of the chapter, the fight breaks out and alvin gets freaked out and teleports away, this time he's so powerful that it could be through time and space. Meaning he could have gone in the future or the past.
-You return to the capital.
Chapter 5:
-Start of the chapter depending who you sided with last time is either killing elves or order dick heads.
-Foltest has returned to the capital and he hates the loving salamandra dick heads all around for making a gently caress fest out of his town so he goes and sees the people warring the streets. He asks to see you.
-His daughter is cursed again and asks you to remove it again or kill her.
-After you remove it or kill her, you find that
-After removing the curse from the daughter, you are confronted by Roderik De Wett who says you're ruining everything. You promptly kill his rear end.
-You fight your way to salamandras base which was the old island throne of King foltest where his cursed daughter used to base out of.
-You fight Azar Javed and kill his rear end and find out he was a pawn of The Order of The Flaming Rose Grandmaster Jacques De Alberges
Chapter 6:
-You take a boat back and are greeted by a war against the Order of the Flaming rose and their mutant freaks that they made using witcher secrets.
-You fight your way through the city to the Cloister of the Temple of the Flaming rose to find their leader.
-He casts a spell that shows you why he's doing all this to avoid Illethanes Prophecy.
-You fight him in his future mind scape and kill his rear end, then the King of the wild Hunt appears to take his soul but you also beat his rear end down so you can kill Jacques De Alberges.
-This is when the mind fuckery happens, he blows your regular sword out of your hand with Aard and you pull out your silver sword and he says "But that's for monsters!" which is when you realize Jacques De Alberges is ALVIN. Which IS AWESOME.
-Game ends with you killing an assassin that attacks foltest while you're getting paid your reward for saving the kingdom.

Did I miss anything?

Witcher 2:

Prologue:
-You're now Foltest personal bodyguard helping him attack one of His Barons castles because he was loving the barons wife and had 2 illegitimate kids with her and WANTS THEM BACK.
-You get him through the castle to his children after massacring a bunch of regular soldiers who didn't stand a chance.
-Blind monk sitting down minding the children, Foltest tells you to give him a moment with his kids, you gaze out of the window as the blind monk turns out to be a Witcher assassin cutting Foltest head off (some bodyguard you are)
-You get arrested for Foltest murder because no one but Foltest illegitimate daughter saw the monk there cutting off his head and you go to prison.
-In comes Vernon Roche who believes you didnt' kill Foltest and helps you escape to begin the hunt to find the killer.
Chapter 1:
-You get a cut scene of the Monk guy (His name is Letho) making a deal with an Ugly elf named Iorveth for helping him kill foltest. This is obviously a cutscene to BEFORE the prologue happens.
-You learn that Temeria is in squabbles for who sits on the thrown. Countries in Civil turmoil.
-You arrive at Floatsam outskirts and are quickly greeted by Iorveth who is a bandit around this poo poo hole town fighting the Humans for Equality and he tries to kill you. Triss Saves you with a HUGE SHIELD which puts her on her rear end. You see Letho with Iorveth before you make it to safety.
-You get to Floatsam and find your old best friends are about to be hanged for helping the elves. (Drunkard Zoltan and Pussy Chaser Dandelion)
-You get them out of the bind but get indebted to the local authority of Floatsam a guy named Bernard Loredo.
-You meet a sorceress named Sile De Transeville who has a horrible tit tattoo and style that Adams Family would love.
-She wants you to help her kill a massive Kraken creature.
-You help her and proceed to try and find Letho.
-You end up finding Iorveth who leads you to letho because you found out that letho was going to kill Iorveth once he was done and Iorveth didn't like that.
-So you find Letho in these ruins and talk to him. He tells you that you know each other and you used to be one of his kind against the kings.
-You choose here if you help Elves or Vernon Roche (which decides the rest of your game basically)
-I picked Roche so..
-Since you don't remember, you fight Letho and he doesn't kill you because you once saved him way back.
-He grabs Triss merigold and forces her to teleport to the pontar valley near Aerdirn where King Henselt is preparing an attack on Aedirn for ruling the Pontar Valley (WHOEVER CONTROLS THE PONTAR VALLEY CONTROLS THE NORTH)
-So you and Vernon roche go and kill Bernard Loredo because he is a traitor to temeria for making a deal with Kaedewins (King Foltest)
Chapter 2:
-If you picked vernon roach it starts off as
-You are playing as king henslet who is rounding up negotiations for taking over the pontar valley
-You slam some priests head against a stone and it awakens a curse which turns the entire area into a ball of eternally fighting ghosts which gently caress poo poo up.
-Geralt arrives just in time to save the day.
-Find out king Henselt is cursed by his old Sorceress at the battle of Aedirn 3 years ago. You need to lift the curse from the king and remove the curse from the area before you can find Letho.
-You find out the sorceress cast the curse because she was losing her influence over Henselt's court and Henselt so she needed to knock him back a peg to lose the battle.
-You find out that there's a bunch of conspirators working against henselt in his kingdom and henselt knows this.
-You lift the curse from Henselt drawing a satanic symbol (METAL \m/)
-After this, Henselt gets attacked by assasins (Lethos witcher friends, Serrit and Auckes) You fight them off and Sile De Transeville helps try to kill them.
-You Kill Auckes and Serrit gets away, you do a ritual by Henselts new mage Dethmold to get into the dead guys memories to find out where Letho and Serrit are.
-In the memories you find out Sile De Transeville is actually the one who hired them to kill kings.
-You go to the hideout to find that Serrit is hosed up and almost dead because Sile De Transeville messed him up, He tells you that shes behind it all. You Also learn that before you lost your memory Letho, Serrit and Auckes helped you chase down the Mystery of the Wild hunt abducting people.
-You stop the undead eternal army battle. You get knocked out for 3 days after you succeed.
-You awake to find that Vernon Roches Commando squad has all been hung for conspiring against henselt (which only Vernon roche was actually doing)
-Henselt attacks Vergen and you fight go through the underground way to get to Sile.
-Sile teleports away as you get to her, Henselt enters the building and you fight him, beat him down.
-Vernon roche enters and you're given the choice to either kill Henselt or let him live. (He's the only king in the north that hte Nilfguardians still fear)
-You learn that everyone is meeting at Loc Muinne for the resurrection of the Conclave (The mages ruling the world).
-You head to Loc Muinne with Vernon Roche
Chapter 3:
-Loc Muinne arrival has some talking about killing dethmold for what he did to Roche's friends.
-You arrive in Loc Muinne with Roche to meet King Radovid (King of Redania, who is currently married to Princess Adda, Foltest's daughter.)
-He tells you that Anais (Foltest youngest illegitimate kid) is missing and Bussy his oldest is dead.
-You have to find Anais to get Temeria under rule again so the "evil" Nilfgaurdian empire (south lands) don't steam roll the north.
-You talk to Baron Kimbolt and Count Maravel and find out both are working together to overthrow John Natalis (big commander who stopped the Nilfgaurdians last war 5 years ago)
-(To Be Continued)

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 5, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So.... GMG has it for $35, definite buy (for PC)? I did enjoy W1 and W2... and read most of the books, so I guess I don't even know wtf I am asking this for....

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

oblomov posted:

So.... GMG has it for $35, definite buy (for PC)? I did enjoy W1 and W2... and read most of the books, so I guess I don't even know wtf I am asking this for....

Buy it. May be the best RPG released in the last 10 years.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Vanderdeath posted:

you must be an elf.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

rocode posted:

Buy it. May be the best RPG released in the last 10 years.

Done. Backlog be damned.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

oblomov posted:

Done. Backlog be damned.

Make sure to post your reactions and awesome experiences.

I am on my second play through and I keep finding new stuff I didn't catch the first time thanks to this thread. :allears:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I love anachronisms. There's an easy one right at the beginning when Geralt is talking to O'Dim and he says "cut to the chase." That saying came out of the golden era of cinema which and I don't think movies exist in the world of the witcher.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I love anachronisms. There's an easy one right at the beginning when Geralt is talking to O'Dim and he says "cut to the chase." That saying came out of the golden era of cinema which and I don't think movies exist in the world of the witcher.

There are plenty more where that game from. Visit the Baron's basement next time you're in Velen.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So I finally finished Witcher 2 so I could start Wild Hunt. Been meaning to play it forever, 3 coming out galvanized me to finally play through 2 so I could start 3.

It was a great game! Really short, but great.

However, Wild Hunt just blows it out of the loving water! I can't adequately express how much I love this game -- or just how awesome it is. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in years. poo poo, a decade maybe. I honestly can't remember the last game I enjoyed and looked forward to playing as much as this. No hyperbole -- this is easily one of the best games of all time. I've been a cynical bastard about games for years now, but Wild Hunt makes me feel like a kid again with the fun and joy playing it brings me.

It's like I'm 11 again and it's the morning Ocarina of Time came out. Or it's like the fun I had playing Tie Fighter the first time when it came out. It's up there with those classics as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Wild Hunt is just absolutely loving incredible!

edit: I also have to add how impressed I am with how optimized this game is and how well it runs compared to Witcher 2. The load times on my SSD are amazingly fast, the game is stable as hell, and it runs fantastically well on near ultra settings on my SLI 670s. Going from Witcher 2 to Wild Hunt is just a huge step up in polish and optimization when it comes to how the game runs, how loading and saving work (witcher 2 always would freeze momentarily on save/loads, not wild hunt, it doesn't even hiccup for a microsecond), and how lag/freezing free the menus are.

poo poo, the game gets a ton of appreciation from me for just how quick you can boot it up to the main menu and then start a game. I wish every other developer would take note of CDProject. No countless unskippable intro splash screens that make starting the game a loving chore, lightning fast boot up and load times, a super optimized graphics engine, and menus that are quick to respond and never freeze or lag, saving/loading that never stutters or momentarily freezes the game; these all are the cherries on top of an already incredible experience.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 5, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

This game was amazing. Another game on the small list of "drat I wish play it again for the first time" games.

Got what I assume is a good end. I'm a bit disappointed that there were only about 6 ending slides. I was hoping for some more information on various towns and such but other than that I enjoyed most everything in the game. I also wish Skellige had been focused upon more. It feels like the main quests barely touch it whereas you go to pretty much all corners of Velen/Novigrad with the storyline.

Really looking forward to the Touissant and Oxenfurt expansions later this year and next. Hopefully they revisit The Witcher world again in the future even if only to remake Witcher 1 in a decent engine. I'm very happy with Geralt's story coming to a close, though. A prequel where you play a newer witcher/sorceress would be rad.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if they added more ending slides in an enhanced version.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the conjunction isn't mentioned a whole lot, but I'm aware it's the thing that happened that brought all the monsters and poo poo to the Witcher world. Did the conjunction happen before any of the Witcher games or was that a thing that happened during 1 or 2? Are common folk aware that there even was this merging of dimensions (or whatever??) or is there just now monsters and people are just like "well okay then"

Did the Crones come with the conjunction?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Macaluso posted:

So the conjunction isn't mentioned a whole lot, but I'm aware it's the thing that happened that brought all the monsters and poo poo to the Witcher world. Did the conjunction happen before any of the Witcher games or was that a thing that happened during 1 or 2? Are common folk aware that there even was this merging of dimensions (or whatever??) or is there just now monsters and people are just like "well okay then"

Happened a long time ago. It was what brought all the stuff that's weak to silver to the Witcher world.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Macaluso posted:

Happened thousands of years before the games and novels.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That one werewolf quest must have been Christmas for you.

That was basically the start of my "Everything is because of werewolves!' kick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
geralt has that problem himself, eg in the prologue

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I got to the end of the master armorer quest, where Geralt has to help test the armor's ability to stop crossbow bolts. The guy fires but the shot doesn't hit, and his script breaks because he doesn't fire again. I'm stuck in place and can't do anything but load my last save again. The one time the normally laser accurate archer AI just straight up misses a shot and it kills a quest.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Some clarification on the XP bug after personally encountering and fixing it.

I was level 14 by the time I started the first string of Novigrad quests, which had a recommended level of 7. Apparently, if you are 7 (not sure if this number is right) levels higher than the recommended level, the quest will appear in grey and you will not receive XP upon completing it. This is NOT a bug and apparently intended behavior. The bug is that you will no longer receive XP rewards from subsequent quests, even the ones that are within your level scale. I confirmed this by turning in a level 12 witcher contract quest and found that I received no XP.

The fix posted here about Vivaldi worked for me. Basically you take a loan and then pay it back immediately with Vivaldi in Novigrad. You lose 30 gold but it somehow fixes the bug. After reloading my save and turning in the same witcher contract, I saw in the reward popups and my character screen that I properly received 240 XP this time.

Hope this helps until the new patch is released.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WastedJoker posted:

you must be an elf.

I'd love to put Elfrican-American on applications.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Sorry to gush again about the game so soon, but I forgot to mention in my previous post just how amazing the foley/sfx in this game is/are. CDProject really went above and beyond the typical effort when it comes to video game foley and effects. I've never heard such awesome and detailed forest sounds, for example. The creaking, crackling, and bowing of branches, the detailed sounds of rustling leaves and the wind through grass and wheat, the rickety rumbling sounds of wooden buildings straining in the wind -- it's something that a lot of other developers don't put a ton of effort into because most people really don't notice or care, and the extra man hours needed to record new, quality, and unique foley and effects doesn't have an equal pay off when it comes to people noticing, or in the boosting of review scores as other features they could work on and invest money/time into instead would. What it does though is really help in giving the game a great feeling of atmosphere. When you are in a forest the game sound really sells that you are actually in a forest and little things like that can make a huge difference in the perception of the game's quality and polish.

These days most developers just pick "Leaves_Rustling_001.wav" from their sound libraries and call it a day. In Wild Hunt you can hear the extra effort they put in. They likely did a lot of of location recording to get some new unique sounds not heard in other games and media, and that extra effort really comes through in the overall quality and atmosphere the game's sound effects impart.

In a way I understand why most devs don't go the extra mile like this when it comes to effects -- they would rather spend all the money and man hours it costs to do the extra location recording, editing, and mixing on something that has a more direct effect on the quality of the game. However when a developer does commit to it like CDProject did, or has the extra piles of cash, time, and public/publisher good will to do whatever they want with (for example, Rockstar and GTAV), this extra effort can make an otherwise already awesome as gently caress game even more incredible.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Somewhere I read that witches were only created like 200-300 years ago. That seems suspiciously short considering Geralt is like 100 and isn't considered old. That means Vesemir is either one of the first generation or close to it since he's like 200+ years old from what I recall.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Damo posted:

Sorry to gush again about the game so soon, but I forgot to mention in my previous post just how amazing the foley/sfx in this game is/are. CDProject really went above and beyond the typical effort when it comes to video game foley and effects. I've never heard such awesome and detailed forest sounds, for example. The creaking, crackling, and bowing of branches, the detailed sounds of rustling leaves and the wind through grass and wheat, the rickety rumbling sounds of wooden buildings straining in the wind -- it's something that a lot of other developers don't put a ton of effort into because most people really don't notice or care, and the extra man hours needed to record new, quality, and unique foley and effects doesn't have an equal pay off when it comes to people noticing, or in the boosting of review scores as other features they could work on and invest money/time into instead would. What it does though is really help in giving the game a great feeling of atmosphere. When you are in a forest the game sound really sells that you are actually in a forest and little things like that can make a huge difference in the perception of the game's quality and polish.

These days most developers just pick "Leaves_Rustling_001.wav" from their sound libraries and call it a day. In Wild Hunt you can hear the extra effort they put in. They likely did a lot of of location recording to get some new unique sounds not heard in other games and media, and that extra effort really comes through in the overall quality and atmosphere the game's sound effects impart.

In a way I understand why most devs don't go the extra mile like this when it comes to effects -- they would rather spend all the money and man hours it costs to do the extra location recording, editing, and mixing on something that has a more direct effect on the quality of the game. However when a developer does commit to it like CDProject did, or has the extra piles of cash, time, and public/publisher good will to do whatever they want with (for example, Rockstar and GTAV), this extra effort can make an otherwise already awesome as gently caress game even more incredible.

The sound design is a huge leap in quality from the last two Witcher games.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Elves/elder races:Elves actually aren't a true elder race as a dwarf in W2 complains, they came to the world on "white ships" a long time ago, just like the humans who came some time after the conjuration. Dwarves, halflings and gnomes are the original inhabitants of the world, with gnomes being the very first, as far as anyone remembers anyway. The scoiatel being angry about humans coming and invading all their stuff is actually kind of an irony because they did the same, just a much longer time ago.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 5, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Avalerion posted:

Elves/elder races:Elves actually aren't a true elder race as a dwarf in W2 complains, they came to the world on "white ships" a long time ago, just like the humans who came some time after the conjuration. Dwarves, halflings and gnomes are the original inhabitants of the world, with gnomes being the very first, as far as anyone remembers anyway. The scoiatel being angry about humans coming and invading all their stuff is actually kind of an irony because they did the same, just a much longer time ago.

It's also more ironic when you realize the Aen Elle conducted a genocide on humans on their world. Not for retaliation or anything but for the same reason the Humans did it.

Spite posted:

Somewhere I read that witches were only created like 200-300 years ago. That seems suspiciously short considering Geralt is like 100 and isn't considered old. That means Vesemir is either one of the first generation or close to it since he's like 200+ years old from what I recall.

The conjunction was apparently only ~1500 years ago. So 300 years is a bit short but i bet it's not far off.

I was under the impression from The Witcher 1 and the books that humans are only just now finally just starting to tame their own lands.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Spite posted:

somebody said that vesemir saw the golden age of witchers. as hes 2 or 3 hundred years old, that suggests to me that witchers are a somewhat recent phenomenon

that assumes that the build up was a similar length to the decline but who cares

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

geralt has that problem himself, eg in the prologue

Geralt's real problem is his obsession with the one time he had to fight a zeugel in a sewer, he just can't get over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

No but they're so good at sex their lovers sometimes go mad with jealousy and try to kill anyone else who gets with them. Judging by witcher quests across the games that's fairly common.

Also, accidents can happen, especially with older lovers. Tha's one hell of a nice way to go, though. :heysexy: