Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Of course you're right. There was a fire in a nuclear power pant but hey, no biggie!

It was really not a biggie at all. It posed no risk to the reactors and safety procedures were followed to put the fire out straight away.

Of course the incident should be fully investigated, but to suggest that it proves nuclear power to be dangerous and that we should switch it all off is just nonsense. Jadot jumped on the opportunity to further his own agenda and only showed his dishonesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They said "a fan blew up" which is fine because I assume there aren't any fans in critical areas, and if there were then they won't blow up because that would be bad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's so hot this time of the year

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Do we still talk about the Brits in this thread?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/08/mps-reject-brexit-bill-amendment-to-protect-eu-citizens-in-uk?CMP=fb_gu

quote:

Attempts to force the government to give all EU citizens in the UK permanent residency after Britain leaves the bloc have been defeated.

The government successfully blocked the bid to add the protections in amendments to the Brexit bill in the House of Commons on Wednesday by 332 votes to 290. Three Tory MPs voted in favour of the amendment – Ken Clarke, Andrew Tyrie and Tania Matthias.

However, the Liberal Democrats said they were confident they have enough support from Labour peers to pass the amendments when the bill is debated in the House of Lords later this month.

I vaguely recall May promising that European citizens living in the UK would be protected?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That doesn't mean granting permanent residency, though. Could be an automatic work permit or something like that.

I'm sure it will all be clarified in her Brexit Plan which is totally a thing. Any day now!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ah, yes, of course. This is going to be one of those deals like in the government white paper, where the conclusion is that remaining in a customs union is mutually beneficial to the UK and the EU, so the government will sidestep the issue as long as possible.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._the_EU_Web.pdf

Special shout-outs:

quote:

The sovereignty of Parliament is a fundamental principle of the UK constitution. Whilst
Parliament has remained sovereign throughout our membership of the EU, it has not always
felt like that.

[...]

It is in the interests of both the UK and the EU to have a mutually beneficial customs
arrangement to ensure goods trade between the UK and EU can continue as much
as possible as it does now.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 10, 2017

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Yeah, there's no way they'd kick out the more than 2 mil EU workers in the UK; that'd be an economic catastrophe.

Every service industry job in London is worked by Italian, Spanish or Polish people, for a start. Good luck getting a coffee at Costa's if you kick out all the foreigners, Terry!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Do we still talk about the Brits in this thread?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/08/mps-reject-brexit-bill-amendment-to-protect-eu-citizens-in-uk?CMP=fb_gu

I vaguely recall May promising that European citizens living in the UK would be protected?

The government and Tory line is they still support this but refuse to be bound by it through legislation, they demand reciprocity for UK nationals currently living in the EU and oppose making a statutory one sided commitment before the commencement of negotiations.

That's their line anyway

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

lost in postation posted:

Yeah, there's no way they'd kick out the more than 2 mil EU workers in the UK; that'd be an economic catastrophe.

Every service industry job in London is worked by Italian, Spanish or Polish people, for a start. Good luck getting a coffee at Costa's if you kick out all the foreigners, Terry!

I really don't think you should underestimate the British public's capability to do the wrong thing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Has 2016 taught you nothing?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I mean, Joe Brexit from Chulmleigh won't get to vote on the specifics of the deal. Hopefully the Tory majority has enough awareness of their own interests that they won't do anything outright suicidal.

Then again, 2016. :sigh:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Namarrgon posted:

Has 2016 taught you nothing?

Not to mention that the perm residence is 85 pages so that's 170 million pages of paperwork if everyone wants to stay. It's a good thing that the public sector is well sta.. Oh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I don't know why you would think anyone outside of London would see this as a bad thing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I mean, Joe Brexit from Chulmleigh won't get to vote on the specifics of the deal. Hopefully the Tory majority has enough awareness of their own interests that they won't do anything outright suicidal.

Then again, 2016. :sigh:

Sounds like something the public should weigh in on, perhaps through some kind of voting process.
A referendum perhaps?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't know why you would think anyone outside of London would see this as a bad thing.

They evidently don't, but a Tory MP with a second home in London might? I wasn't being 100% serious.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Not to mention that the perm residence is 85 pages so that's 170 million pages of paperwork if everyone wants to stay. It's a good thing that the public sector is well sta.. Oh.

It's a lot more paperwork than that, 85 pages is just the application form. To which you have to enclose supporting evidence.

Then they go and verify all that over the course of few months, using all sorts of databases they have access to (e.g. having in the past cheated on an English language exam certificate is one disqualifying factor, then there's stuff like if you don't mistreat your kids, being late on payments, all sorts of things). And over a third result in rejections and subsequent appeals. Appeals because you're already paying money for the privilege, so what's a little bit more for lawyer to try and make it go through, and a lot of the rejections are based on wafer-thin rules-lawyering (the permanent residence regulations are fairly strict).

So it's more like few hundred pages per person, at least. And yes there already is a huge backlog despite the number of applications currently being in tens of thousands.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 10, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Of course you're right. There was a fire in a nuclear power pant but hey, no biggie!

are you seriously saying a fire in like a shed or office building that was put out by some random workers with hand extinguishers should be considered tantamount a :supaburn:nucular disaster that could have killed us all with the power of ATOMZ:supaburn: just because it happened to be behind the same fence as the nuclear reactor

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fire and Nucleus are both powerful magics, if they're cast on top of each other the resulting double-tech could kill millions.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

are you seriously saying a fire in like a shed or office building that was put out by some random workers with hand extinguishers should be considered tantamount a :supaburn:nucular disaster that could have killed us all with the power of ATOMZ:supaburn: just because it happened to be behind the same fence as the nuclear reactor

Oh no someone criticized nuclear power. Quick, better post the word ATOMZ to make them sound so goddamn crazy :smug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oh no someone criticized nuclear power. Quick, better post the word ATOMZ to make them sound so goddamn crazy :smug:
Your criticism was real dumb though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This but unironically

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What if they are crazy

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
My point was extremely pertinent. A fire anywhere inside a nuclear facility is a cause for concern, since it demonstrates safety and/or maintenance protocols are no good enough.

Oh you mean accidents can and will happen? Oh ok. As someone who lives within 50km of a nuclear power plant this puts my mind at ease.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Fire and Nucleus are both powerful magics, if they're cast on top of each other the resulting double-tech could kill millions.

It was recently discovered that the foundry who provides the nuclear industry with key elements for their plants has been falsifying reports for years,
during which they have knowingly shipped defective bits.

Nor Areva nor EDF nor the Autorité de sûreté nucléaire caught up on this until recently, which casts a lot of doubt on the whole industry.

This is why a single accident sounds a little more worrying now than it did before.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
You should be happy you don't live within 50km of a coal power plant. Then you'd actually suffer, instead of just freaking out needlessly over office paper waste-bin level fires. Nuclear power in Europe is incredibly safe and clean in comparison to other sources of power.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

It was recently discovered that the foundry who provides the nuclear industry with key elements for their plants has been falsifying reports for years,
during which they have knowingly shipped defective bits.

Nor Areva nor EDF nor the Autorité de sûreté nucléaire caught up on this until recently, which casts a lot of doubt on the whole industry.

This is why a single accident sounds a little more worrying now than it did before.
It also comes as the same time as Tepco says "holy fuckin moley boys there is SO MUCH RADIATION we definitely weren't just keeping under wraps over at Fukushima because our industry cannot tell the truth" which doesn't look great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

it demonstrates safety and/or maintenance protocols are no good enough.

Those things are expensive, and what's important -- indeed, not just what's most important in life, but the only thing that is actually important at all -- is obtaining and ever-increasing financial profitability.

You've got to cut costs where you can, where it doesn't matter -- such as maintenance. And labor! Look, if you replace trained and qualified employees by temp jobbers from some Eastern European country that don't know the language and can't read what's on the documentation and signposts, then you can save up so much on labor cost. And labor cost is the antichrist, so every reduction of it and intrinsically cool and good.

Now watch as all this money that has been saved is blown away in utter incompetence because we had to let go of everyone who actually had skills and experience, they were too expensive.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your criticism was real dumb though.

I don't think it was

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nuclear power owns but is built and run by horrible retards. Areva is the world's premier constructor of dumpster fires

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Nuclear power is cool and good but in the hands of French government run and owned businesses I don't trust it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you can't trust a modern first world country to run NPPs then you can't trust anyone to run NPPs.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This all started with my criticism of Jadot, who was banging on about completely getting rid of nuclear power.

The problem is that if we get rid of nuclear today, then like in Germany, it will have to be replaced with coal power for a few decades in order to make up for the loss in base-load. Coal power which is estimated to kill tens of thousands per year in normal operation due to air pollution.

Now if Jadot had gone on the TV this week and demanded a thorough investigation into safety and regulations at nuclear power plants, then I would not have had a problem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't think it was
Claiming that any fire at all is a big issue is pretty silly, considering how many different types of fires that could cover. A fire in the reactor/the control room/a ventilation unit/a break room microwave would warrant very different reactions. The later post about it (possibly) being a symptom of lax safety protocols at least provided a narrative for why perhaps it shouldn't be dismissed as just a minor little fire, which might be a fair criticism of the first three cases, whereas a break room fire seems like something you'd have as hard time preventing in a nuclear plant as in any other place. (Though you could have some advanced system for putting out the fire when it did get going though.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

(Though you could have some advanced system for putting out the fire when it did get going though.)

Advanced systems of fire prevention tend to to not be very human friendly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Advanced systems of fire prevention tend to to not be very human friendly.
Small price to pay to prevent a nuclear disaster.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Claiming that any fire at all is a big issue is pretty silly, considering how many different types of fires that could cover. A fire in the reactor/the control room/a ventilation unit/a break room microwave would warrant very different reactions. The later post about it (possibly) being a symptom of lax safety protocols at least provided a narrative for why perhaps it shouldn't be dismissed as just a minor little fire, which might be a fair criticism of the first three cases, whereas a break room fire seems like something you'd have as hard time preventing in a nuclear plant as in any other place. (Though you could have some advanced system for putting out the fire when it did get going though.)

If you can't have a break room that doesn't pose a potential fire hazard to the rest of your facility maybe you shouldn't have a break room in that facility.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Small price to pay to prevent a nuclear disaster.

YF-23 posted:

If you can't have a break room that doesn't pose a potential fire hazard to the rest of your facility maybe you shouldn't have a break room in that facility.

How would a nuclear power plant even catch fire? It's just huge bunker made of steel and reinforced concrete housing big pools of water with locked and isolated security doors up the whazo. I don't really see how office supplies or the break room catching fire could ever actually pose a threat to operations beyond the immediate inconvenience.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

YF-23 posted:

The fire didn't pose a threat to the rest of the facility, though - by all accounts it was very localized and quickly dealt with.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It could've been dealt with in a worse way. The point is that stuff there shouldn't catch on fire in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

How would a nuclear power plant even catch fire? It's just huge bunker made of steel and reinforced concrete housing big pools of water with locked and isolated security doors up the whazo. I don't really see how office supplies or the break room catching fire could ever actually pose a threat to operations beyond the immediate inconvenience.
Just to make it clear, I was joking with that post.

YF-23 posted:

The alternative is the people managing a nuclear power plant not having a chance to have a proper break, which I'm sure would do wonders for safety. Maybe they could bring the microwave into the control room instead.