Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i think the roadtrip and airport scenario are the only realistic and spontaneous switch situations or, as im calling them now, switchuations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I know exactly the difference, but I neglected to add & storage after RAM.

Either way, it's a pathetic amount for even a last gen system.

Nintendo needs to stop insisting on selling consoles at a profit and focus on making a console that is powerful enough to compete and reap the rewards later.

see above

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Guy Goodbody posted:

They aren't porting a 3DS game to the PS4

One assumes it would be a game with a pass up to modern graphics, finally. The game hasn't really had a visual update since the Wii, in terms of like models and textures.

In a similar vein, if they announce in January that there will be a Switch version of Monster Hunter XX, it's not gonna fully tilt me into a pre-order. I don't want to play an up-rezzed 3DS game on my TV.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rexroom posted:

Huh, there are rumors that suggest the next Monster Hunter isn't coming to the Switch. Allegedly Sony paid a zillion yen to Capcom for PS4 exclusivity because - unlike in the rest of the world - there hasn't been a killer app for the Japanese market. And Monster Hunter would fit that bill. The rumor also says the contract specifically excludes Nintendo's Switch, so the new Monster Hunter could be ported to the XBone and PC if need be. This fits with interviews about Capcom wanting to capture the western audiences, so they're thinking of adapting the series to our tastes.

Did these rumors come from 4chan because lmao

They've already captured a western audience. Monster Hunter isn't just a niche series anymore. It's consistently one of the best selling games on the 3DS at launch, the fanbase is growing, and has been growing since the PSP days. At one point, Freedom Unite was one of the best selling PSP titles on the Vita's US store for several month straight, I think around the time it was confirmed that Portable 3rd was definitely never coming over and that the 3DS got exclusivity to the series.

And as far as 'adapting the series to our tastes' is concerned, that's pretty much been everything about MH since Tri. There's been an increased focus on a narrative of some sort, the start of each game has been progressively easier to manage and has been carefully gated to get people into the swing of hunting progressively larger/more aggressive monsters. If nothing else, 4 and Generations are the best games for a new player to jump into because they have lots of content without trying to relentlessly bitchslap the player for making newbie mistakes like the older games could and often did.

Then there's the series overall success story. MonHun got big on portables. Going to a console, even one like the PS4, is taking away one of its biggest advantages. As much as I personally would like a main series title on PS4, I can't imagine Sony paying enough to offset Capcom's inherent penalty for not getting in on any sweet sweet SwitchBux with a new MH. I mean what, are they gonna also make a companion title for the VITA too, a system that is effectively dead in the West, to "capture" more of that Western market that does not care about the Vita?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I will legit be super giddy with an on the go impromptu coop MH. With also big screen option.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A lot of people ask why the gently caress would they play a basketball game next to a real court? And the answer is right in the video. They are good boys and it was someone else's turn. You can see another game happening in the background.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I guess the current set of rumors is some price points of bundles inluding one that starts at $260??? Release date march 17th or around then, and Smash, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon released at launch as special "director's cut" editions? And I guess Nintendo is working with retailers to set up a thing where you can trade in your WiiU copy of the game for a free upgrade to the Switch version or at at discount. Also info on the Mario

Links to the things

https://pvplive.net/c/rumor-nintendo-switch-launch-date-and-bundles-reve

https://pvplive.net/c/new-nintendo-switch-features-and-launch-lineup-tea

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

Did these rumors come from 4chan because lmao

You just got baited. Capcom isn't going back to Sony for Monster Hunter until they start paying for and have experience with advertisement and distribution in korea, east asia, the west and, probably in the near future after they gain experience from launching pokemon there, china.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

My hope is that in three years or so there'll be a SwitchGo or somesuch, which is the Switch hardware + better battery life crammed into a 3DS style clamshell and the whole library available for download, because the concept of the Switch we got seems as dumb as my balls.

mysterious frankie's balls confirmed smartest balls na

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Decus posted:

You just got baited. Capcom isn't going back to Sony for Monster Hunter until they start paying for and have experience with advertisement and distribution in korea, east asia, the west and, probably in the near future after they gain experience from launching pokemon there, china.

Never underestimate Capcom's ability to destroy their tentpole franchises while chasing a mythical mass market.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sunning posted:

Never underestimate Capcom's ability to destroy their tentpole franchises while chasing a mythical mass market.

Konami too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Decus posted:

The "Sony buying (partial) exclusivity" bit is still pretty much a unsubstantiated rumor, but Capcom wanting the PS4 crowd isn't that farfetched. Consoles still triumph over handhelds in the west, so it makes somewhat sense they're thinking of expanding to that market.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I mean that bundle of rumor also stated that the deal was made in part thanks to the assumed eventual success of the Street Fighter V deal which...was it a success?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I mean that bundle of rumor also stated that the deal was made in part thanks to the assumed eventual success of the Street Fighter V deal which...was it a success?

Didn't Pokken Tournament on WiiU outsell it?

Naw, it's pretty farfetched when that article says they want to expand sales in territories outside of Japan. Even though the west is mentioned specifically they are not going to give up Korea, East Asia and potentially China just to maybe get more sales from the PS4 crowd. Especially not when doing so would tank sales within Japan versus just releasing on Switch, keeping Nintendo's support with distribution, keeping portable sales in Japan and maybe gaining sales from the no portable crowd in the west.

Decus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 3, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I've never seen Amelie

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Macaluso posted:

And I guess Nintendo is working with retailers to set up a thing where you can trade in your WiiU copy of the game for a free upgrade to the Switch version or at at discount.

This is exactly the kind of excellent deal I absolutely do not expect and do not believe in, when it's coming from the company that double-dips constantly on VC games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've never seen Amelie

It was squee and French as gently caress. It's worth seeing if you want something to list on your OKCupid profile that'll help your reply odds, assuming you're a dude.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The launch was a drat disaster, but also unlike every other fighting game I've played on the PC it's actually playable online.

I have no idea what its actual numbers look like, I just know that it's still centerpiecing fighting game tournaments. I'm too much of a scrub to be sure if it's because it's good or because of a sense of obligation from event planners.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cartoon Man posted:

Konami too.

I'd say the difference is that Konami is actively divesting from console development and pivoting towards mobile/gambling. On the other hand, Capcom is trying to become a significant player in the AAA console space but repeatedly underestimating what consumers expect out of a modern $60 AAA product.

The Monster Hunter series is actually made up of different subgenres made to appeal to different demographics, such as Monster Hunter Stories for younger children. It would actually be smart of Capcom to have a spinoff aimed at the overseas market that targets players interested in open world action RPGs while hedging their bets with a traditional entry aimed for handheld systems. However, this is Capcom we're talking about. I can just as easily see them trying to make Monster Hunter 5 into a Skyrim clone that doesn't measure up to the competition and alienates the core fanbase.

Decus posted:

Didn't Pokken Tournament on WiiU outsell it?

In North America, Pokken Tournament for the Wii U sold more in retail than Street Fighter 5 for the PS4 in retail. Mortal Kombat X has sold over 5 million to Street Fighter 5's 1.4 million sales across all platforms. Street Fighter 5 had a sales target of 2 million. On Steam alone, MKX has outsold SFV three to one. Also on Steam, The King Of Fighters XIII has outsold Street Fighter V two to one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh thank christ Sunning is here.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

My hope is that in three years or so there'll be a SwitchGo or somesuch, which is the Switch hardware + better battery life crammed into a 3DS style clamshell and the whole library available for download, because the concept of the Switch we got seems as dumb as my balls.

It's perfect. Nintendo can do no wrong

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

The launch was a drat disaster, but also unlike every other fighting game I've played on the PC it's actually playable online.

I have no idea what its actual numbers look like, I just know that it's still centerpiecing fighting game tournaments. I'm too much of a scrub to be sure if it's because it's good or because of a sense of obligation from event planners.

im only kinda adjacent to the fgc but it seems to me that sfv is a trash game that people just kind of like anyway and since it's a big name they keep having tournaments and people keep showing up and people keep liking sfv anyway but other fighting games that are actually complete are lurking and ready to start eating its lunch and probably will if capcom doesnt get its poo poo together

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've never seen Amelie

it's fantastic

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is exactly the kind of excellent deal I absolutely do not expect and do not believe in, when it's coming from the company that double-dips constantly on VC games.

You mean the virtual console games that you get a substantial discount on if you owned it on Wii and wanted to upgrade to Wii U?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

You mean the virtual console games that you get a substantial discount on if you owned it on Wii and wanted to upgrade to Wii U?

Also the virtual console games that still don't have any cross-buy between Wii U and 3DS.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

They made Star Fox Zero...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

So I guess the current set of rumors is some price points of bundles inluding one that starts at $260??? Release date march 17th or around then, and Smash, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon released at launch as special "director's cut" editions? And I guess Nintendo is working with retailers to set up a thing where you can trade in your WiiU copy of the game for a free upgrade to the Switch version or at at discount. Also info on the Mario

Links to the things

https://pvplive.net/c/rumor-nintendo-switch-launch-date-and-bundles-reve

https://pvplive.net/c/new-nintendo-switch-features-and-launch-lineup-tea

Note that the rumors here are the launch date as reported by Laura Kate Dale, followed by a bunch of stuff nobody has said anywhere else and very much sounds like talking out of their asses.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but that's just virtual console stuff that's five to ten dollars while these would be full sized sixty dollar games, I doubt they'd give a heavy discount to us Wii U users.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

im only kinda adjacent to the fgc but it seems to me that sfv is a trash game that people just kind of like anyway and since it's a big name they keep having tournaments and people keep showing up and people keep liking sfv anyway but other fighting games that are actually complete are lurking and ready to start eating its lunch and probably will if capcom doesnt get its poo poo together

capcom pays big money to keep the pro scene going. without that it would be dead. they had to finally relent and make an arcade cabinet for the game because japanese players were ready to move on if it stayed on home platforms only.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's the sort of deal I could see from a company that wants to post huge numbers on day one though. Pre-Owned Nintendo games already have high values and a lot of people are going to make this trade anyway. If they offer a launch window deal where they reimburse retailers $10-15 per new game sold when a copy of the Wii U version is traded in during the same transaction I could see retailers picking up more release Switch games than they normally would. Remember Smash 4 still trades in at GameStop for $25, it wouldn't take much to offer a new Switch copy for $20-$30 at launch.

If you want some real :tinfoil: conspiracy theory about it maybe this is why we didn't see Smash 4, Splatoon, or Mario Kart 8 become Nintendo Selects. Releasing them at $20 would drop the pre-owned price from ~$55 to probably ~$18 and the amount of credit you got for them down to probably $5-$9.

The important thing to remember about these deals is that it doesn't really mean Nintendo would be spending money, just making a little less. They wouldn't be selling games to retailers cheaper, they just credit their accounts some when consumers actually take advantage of the deal. They also potentially receive a huge amount of low cost advertisement as these types of deals usually require the retailer provides proof of how they advertised the offer. These types of offers to retailers are fairly common.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

They made Star Fox Zero...

At this German bar I am at, they are playing Megaman albums on their speakers

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

bef posted:

No way. Switch looks kind of balls. The games will be neat and fun in the main, because it's Nintendo, but this dockable quasi portable system concept is a donkey on fire. I don't want it and want to cry about it a lot.

But if they someday get it shrunk to a smaller form factor with good battery life and put it into a ds-esque case that has some built in screen protection, well buddy, then we are talking.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bef posted:

Now they are playing the smash intro :2bong:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

No way. Switch looks kind of balls. The games will be neat and fun in the main, because it's Nintendo, but this dockable quasi portable system concept is a donkey on fire. I don't want it and want to cry about it a lot.

But if they someday get it shrunk to a smaller form factor with good battery life and put it into a ds-esque case that has some built in screen protection, well buddy, then we are talking.

I will buy it because it won't be expensive (to me) and I will enjoy finally playing Super Mario 128.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Misandu posted:

It's the sort of deal I could see from a company that wants to post huge numbers on day one though. Pre-Owned Nintendo games already have high values and a lot of people are going to make this trade anyway. If they offer a launch window deal where they reimburse retailers $10-15 per new game sold when a copy of the Wii U version is traded in during the same transaction I could see retailers picking up more release Switch games than they normally would. Remember Smash 4 still trades in at GameStop for $25, it wouldn't take much to offer a new Switch copy for $20-$30 at launch.

If you want some real :tinfoil: conspiracy theory about it maybe this is why we didn't see Smash 4, Splatoon, or Mario Kart 8 become Nintendo Selects. Releasing them at $20 would drop the pre-owned price from ~$55 to probably ~$18 and the amount of credit you got for them down to probably $5-$9.

The important thing to remember about these deals is that it doesn't really mean Nintendo would be spending money, just making a little less. They wouldn't be selling games to retailers cheaper, they just credit their accounts some when consumers actually take advantage of the deal. They also potentially receive a huge amount of low cost advertisement as these types of deals usually require the retailer provides proof of how they advertised the offer. These types of offers to retailers are fairly common.

it's the sort of deal i could see from a company that could theoretically exit the hardware business if this thing isn't a success. i don't expect nintendo to make the same boneheaded nintendo decisions with that on the line. plus, they're adamant that the console itself won't be sold at a loss, so sacrificing some console profits in order to drive hardware sales isn't a bad business strategy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bef posted:

I was at a pool hall a few years ago and they were playing Bubble Man's stage music

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheScott2K posted:

It was squee and French as gently caress.

Twee. Twee as gently caress.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's kind of amazing that the DS was so good it convinced some people that single screen portable gaming is impossible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

game stores already have trade ins you can use to subsidize new games so i doubt nintendo would directly get involved to a global buy back of physical wii u software.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's kind of amazing that the DS was so good it convinced some people that single screen portable gaming is impossible

this is an amazing thing i almost didn't notice so thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Boten Anna posted:

i like smash bros :shobon:

• Locked thread