Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

does anyone have a link to the minecraft fairy torture manifesto post

You don't really want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

chernobyl kinsman posted:

does anyone have a link to the minecraft fairy torture manifesto post
Always

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383735&pagenumber=456&perpage=40#post392676833

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

GameQuoter and Toblerone were the greatest. Nobody will ever do a gimmick as well as them.

Still a fan of Jades Mensa Op, to a slightly lesser extent also Adventures of Jesus.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I could never tell if Skrewloose was a gimmick or mentally ill. He was no Hakan though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834614&perpage=40 this made me laugh when I noticed the time stamps

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

5'd (his thread)

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

RFC2324 posted:

5'd (his thread)

Same. It's like the comedy equivalent of a shooting star - there for but a brief moment before it winks out and disappears into oblivion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

GameQuoter and Toblerone were the greatest. Nobody will ever do a gimmick as well as them.

I think LoB should be banned whenever he posts off-gimmick.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Krotera posted:

I would totally settle for a single SuperMechaGodzilla rant made in response to someone saying "what the gently caress did you type, SuperMechaGodzilla?" (bonus points if that person is not pretending to be informed about media crit)

Closest I got was someone trying to goof on the SMG vs Koos conflict.

duncan posted:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.' -Slavoj Zizek, God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Sep 19, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goddamn he sucks a great deal

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best thing about SMG is how every time he posts, a bunch of idiots trip over themselves in the mad rush to be the first to share the ultra-hot take that he's a pretentious weirdo. It might not be the funniest gimmick, but it's pretty entertaining watching him bait goons into demonstrating how bad they are at getting jokes.

Like TobleroneTriangular and otter guy were at least plausible, TT even had armchair psychologists trying to figure out what specific brain problem he had. If you are getting whooshed by SMG I don't know what to say.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The best thing about SMG is how every time he posts, a bunch of idiots trip over themselves in the mad rush to be the first to share the ultra-hot take that he's a pretentious weirdo. It might not be the funniest gimmick, but it's pretty entertaining watching him bait goons into demonstrating how bad they are at getting jokes.

Like TobleroneTriangular and otter guy were at least plausible, TT even had armchair psychologists trying to figure out what specific brain problem he had. If you are getting whooshed by SMG I don't know what to say.

i would find this more believable if he didn't send massive PMs with citations to people who make one-line, one-off jokes at his expense

but then you're a Guy Who Posts In CD so I guess I don't know why I'm trying to get you to stop suckin dick so hard

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Personally, I find SMG hilarious. The amount of people he baits into frothing rage is incredible.

Alaois posted:

i would find this more believable if he didn't send massive PMs with citations to people who make one-line, one-off jokes at his expense

but then you're a Guy Who Posts In CD so I guess I don't know why I'm trying to get you to stop suckin dick so hard

This just adds to it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Personally, I find SMG hilarious. The amount of people he baits into frothing rage is incredible.

This just adds to it.

thanks, Guy Who Also Posts In CD

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alaois posted:

thanks, Guy Who Also Posts In CD

I do? Nah. I'm lowbrow, it's just TV/IV for me.

E: Wait I lied. I'm pretty sure I posted in a Star Wars thread until I saw the insanity for what it was. Deadpool thread as well.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Sep 19, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why am a blanking on Toblerone Triangular?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this would be more fitting if the final panel was replaced with like 5 people falling into frame saying "wow i can't believe you fell for his retard act, don't you know that makes you retarded, unbelievable, honestly it just makes it funnier"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The real comedy of SMG for me comes from the fact that I have a degree in film, I went to college for that, and that's how every single person there talked. Like, he's in no way an exaggeration of the critical film snob at all. And often his weird diatribes aren't fully off-base for how someone could find meaning in the films he talks about, even if it's ridiculous to do so, as that's exactly what critical media reading teaches you to do. People treat him like this outlandish character devoid of reality, when in actuality he's at most a caricature, and a mild one at that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Alaois posted:

I love the idea that you dug through my post history for the couple of times I posted in the "identify this movie" thread (edit: like a year ago) about a movie I half remembered and then rushed back here to call me a cocksucker. That's funnier than anything I've ever posted.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't a poster be funny regardless of if he's genuine or not?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
SMG is genuinely an idiot

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love the idea that you dug through my post history for the couple of times I posted in the "identify this movie" thread (edit: like a year ago) about a movie I half remembered and then rushed back here to call me a cocksucker. That's funnier than anything I've ever posted.

i didn't, actually, you just seem like the kind of dirtbag who posts in cd

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TenCentFang posted:

Can't a poster be funny regardless of if he's genuine or not?

homeboy up there seems really genuine in his desire to prove how much he hates SMG, and it's pretty funny

e: see what I mean :v:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah no this justification was old like eight years ago. If SMG is a gimmick he is a literal shitposting artificial intelligence that was created to never break character.

Alaois posted:

exactly

Occam's razor here. Is this guy the world's best internet troll who has posted tens/hundreds of thousands of words over a period of like ten years in sole dedication to the mere appearance of pretending to be stupid on a singular topic

or is he just stupid and likes to post about that topic

VictorianQueerLit has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Sep 19, 2017

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's the guy who invented "Purestrain Gold."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people love to post about how hilarious SMG is and how all of the people he baits into arguing with him is hilarious and amazing and it blows my mind because SMG's posting indicates the most boring human being alive

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

homeboy up there seems really genuine in his desire to prove how much he hates SMG, and it's pretty funny

e: see what I mean :v:

SMG is not even posting and he's getting people more and more pissed off in here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Proteus Jones posted:

SMG is not even posting and he's getting people more and more pissed off in here.

I changed my mind, THAT'S my favorite part about SMG

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's more people shaking you by the shoulders going "Hey, it's not actually a gimmick and you have been enjoying some of the stupidest unironic opinions on the internet for ten years" to kind of bring you back to the reality where the papa johns scene in ghostbusters isn't actually an allegory for late stage neo-liberalism.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think it's more people shaking you by the shoulders going "Hey, it's not actually a gimmick and you have been enjoying some of the stupidest unironic opinions on the internet for ten years" to kind of bring you back to the reality where the papa johns scene in ghostbusters isn't actually an allegory for late stage neo-liberalism.

I don't enjoy the actual content of his posts. I enjoy all the people who start rage posting after he drops his latest stream of consciousness.

I love him as Judas Goat, not for any goat like qualities he may have.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've literally never read an SMG CD post, but the previous page or so of posts seems to indicate that whether or not he's serious, he loving rules

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think even dgsw gets that kind of a reaction just by mentioning his name lol

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I don't think anyone rushes to CD to try and dunk on smg whenever he posts anymore, everyone engages him earnestly, which is weird in and of itself. The only place where people trip over themselves to crap on smg anymore is in this thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

The real comedy of SMG for me comes from the fact that I have a degree in film, I went to college for that, and that's how every single person there talked. Like, he's in no way an exaggeration of the critical film snob at all. And often his weird diatribes aren't fully off-base for how someone could find meaning in the films he talks about, even if it's ridiculous to do so, as that's exactly what critical media reading teaches you to do. People treat him like this outlandish character devoid of reality, when in actuality he's at most a caricature, and a mild one at that.

Yeah, every forum has an SMG or 6.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Syd Midnight posted:

Closest I got was someone trying to goof on the SMG vs Koos conflict.

Thanks, this is good!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Choco1980 posted:

I attended a festival showing of Late Bloomer, a Japanese movie about a serial killer with cerebral palsy, and afterward it had a q&a with the writer/director. He was amazing because I feel like his entire art was devoted not to making a film, but to trolling the film students at festivals. All of his answers were essentially just "because I felt like it", but the best was when one person stood up and asked a very lengthy question around the meaning behind the film being in black-and-white except for the final scene of the neighbourhood discovering his crimes, and the response was "I filmed in black and white because it was the best way to show off the lead's muscled body, and the final scene is in colour because the sun rise looked bad in black and white." There was a palpable silence as everyone just took that in and then there were no more questions.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Solice Kirsk posted:

TT started as a gimmick account during the days of LF. he posted really insane conspiracy theories he invented himself. he put a lot of effort into it, drawing on popular themes you often see in conspiracy theories, and he made an effort to try and have a sort of overarching logic to all his craziness. after doing the gimmick for a while, he came clean. then he became a really boring normal poster

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I attended a festival showing of Late Bloomer, a Japanese movie about a serial killer with cerebral palsy, and afterward it had a q&a with the writer/director. He was amazing because I feel like his entire art was devoted not to making a film, but to trolling the film students at festivals. All of his answers were essentially just "because I felt like it", but the best was when one person stood up and asked a very lengthy question around the meaning behind the film being in black-and-white except for the final scene of the neighbourhood discovering his crimes, and the response was "I filmed in black and white because it was the best way to show off the lead's muscled body, and the final scene is in colour because the sun rise looked bad in black and white." There was a palpable silence as everyone just took that in and then there were no more questions.

So just like David Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
SMG occasionally comes up with some interesting stuff, though it's mostly putting everything through the same Zizek filter.

I recall some entertaining takes on the Duke Nukem Forever thread as it descended into Forums Hell.