Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

I'm keeping the fiery temper in my build. Champion of wits is so loving good FYI uuunnnggghhh

I was going to replace my 3 tormenting voices with them, but it sounds like I should also make room for a 4th? Maybe go down to 3 fiery tempers.

Now that U/W monument has moved away from Avacyns, I feel like this deck has a pretty good match up. You have enough single target removal to keep Selfless Spirit off the board to wipe them when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DoctorOozy posted:

So true... never has Wizards withdrawing support been so good.

Banning probe ended up being the last good move they made.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

I find it shocking how fast infect went from great to not great just because of probe.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Restricting Gush and Probe was pretty good for 99% of the vintage population. SMmmennnenmen being the 1%.

Also supporting duel commander is a good idea in theory. In practice they have an atrocious ban list and the format is pretty terrible.

Also remember that time they unbanned Twin, Top, and Lodestone Golem and banned Deathrite in legacy? That was a pretty good choice imo.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

I find it shocking how fast infect went from great to not great just because of probe.

Infect is even more of a glass cannon than Affinity and has even fewer lines of play that a good player can use to play around answers. Without the free "Do I automatically win now?" magic 8 ball card, it has to play a lot more conservatively to not get blown out and immediately lose. Also Fatal Push is a card now and tons of decks are playing it over Lightning Bolt and you can't Become Immense your way out of that one.

Gitaxian Probe was a poo poo card to have around and IMO the only worse card to have around in Modern would be Mental Misstep.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

I don't think it was just the probe ban that killed infect, it was fatal push being printed at the same time.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 19, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
personally I do not miss the extremely skill testing scenario of "do I tap out and die next turn, or do I cast nothing and bluff removal so that I die slowly over the course of a few turns?" that was playing against infect

i do miss casting blood moon against them though

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018s-pro-tours-and-2017s-worlds-2017-07-19

Modern is a Pro Tour format again, what's going to eat a ban now?

Also the Standard, Modern and legacy 25th anniversary Pro Tour sounds cool as heck.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cactrot posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018s-pro-tours-and-2017s-worlds-2017-07-19

Also the Standard, Modern and legacy 25th anniversary Pro Tour sounds cool as heck.

Jesus. WOTC can't make a decision last.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Oh god I spoke too soon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The gently caress is going on?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not super surprised WotC's reaction to the small drop in Magic's popularity has been to flail wildly and do a lot of weird poo poo.

E: Disappointed, really, but not surprised.

Modern being a PT format is probably a good thing minus their "let's ban things for the sake of loving with the format".

Maybe now they'll free Stoneforge :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I actually like this change.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is my exact point. Not everyone wants to get good at games, some people just want to play casually. Getting better at disc golf wasn't something you wanted to invest time in, and no one is going to make you want to do that except yourself. Not everyone wants to be good at magic, and you won't make casual players suddenly want to spend lots of money on the game by making it so they lose less.

Funnily enough, I noticed FNM attendance starting to go down when we were in the $500+ BFZ Hell Standard.

:thunk:

I wasn't around when this happened but it sounds interesting/stupid. Tell more?

sit on my Facebook posted:

I disagree with this assessment slightly. I'm fully on board with common and uncommon power level going waaay up in comparison to mythics, but I think building a deck from drafting is more possible now than is been in quite some time. If a new player were to draft every week/most weeks of HOD limited starting now, I put to you they could have an FNM winning deck on tap by the time Ixalan drops. With even a little bit of luck in your pulls and like maybe $25 cash you can have a deck that'll win a standard fnm.

I can post 3 lists right now that cost less than $90 starting from zero that I've actually taken to FNM and won the whole thing.

I'm looking through the standard rules. That's what's played at FNM, right? How can I play/win at FNM if I have no cards from Kaladesh block? Or are you saying that a deck based on HOU and AKH will be good enough?

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 19, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dead Death's Shadow Walking.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Quiet you.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

yea this was my initial thought as well. looks like we'll get to the bottom of "does death's shadow deserve a ban or not?" once and for all

comedy option: 16+ copies of mirran crusader in the top 8

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Quiet you.

It's clearly too good. I'm gonna play it till it's banned though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I don't even play that often, a few times a month, and I'm already bored with the lines of Grixis Shadow. For all the hate linear aggro gets I don't find Grixis Shadow has that many more interesting lines beyond obviously good ones.

I'm going to finish up some GB rock deck with a small traverse package and learn to play grindy decks faster so I don't go to time as often. At least I can prepare for the end of the Shadow era.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's clearly too good. I'm gonna play it till it's banned though.

Modern is the best. I am playing a pptq saturday and sunday this weekend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Modern is the best. I am playing a pptq saturday and sunday this weekend.

Only one this weekend for me. Which is for the best.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Now that mtg goldfish mtgo results are next to useless, are they planning to move on to what top8 mtg publishes? Top8mtg website makes my eyes hurt. Is there a better alternative?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16226&d=300202&f=MO

loving spicy.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I wasn't around when this happened but it sounds interesting/stupid. Tell more?

They reprinted fetchlands and fetchable duals with no good cards to punish for running that many colors or non-basics, so there was very little reason for every deck to not be 4 or 5 color and running all the best cards in the format.

Because demand wasn't rly spread out to other cards due to color restrictions, mana bases being hundreds of dollars more expensive than usual, and baby Jace looking like an all star in every format for a brief period and rocketing up to 90 bucks, standard got WAY expensive with decks ranging from 500-900 depending on the list.

Everyone left to play modern because it was briefly cheaper.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I go to the modern PPTQ this Sunday, how bad an idea is it to just run burn out there?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

If I go to the modern PPTQ this Sunday, how bad an idea is it to just run burn out there?

Make sure your sideboard has 3 path and 2 palm at minimum and you will be fine.

Burn is always good. Just hope you don't run up against company.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Make sure your sideboard has 3 path and 2 palm at minimum and you will be fine.

Burn is always good. Just hope you don't run up against company.

Does Palm ever actually do anything vs. DS or is it just going to get countered 95% of the time?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Not as good as Affinity but probably fine.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

This looks more like a return to Death's Shadow Zoo. I love it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Not as good as Affinity but probably fine.

Yeah Affinity is a better deck, but I sold the expensive pieces of that a long while back because I didn't enjoy playing it that much. I just don't know if I can have a day of playing the best deck vs. the mirror or decks meta'd against it all day. Fewer decisions and faster games keeping me mentally lithe.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Modern is a Pro Tour Format again?

Wow it's like people like Modern or something!

WotC functions at the speed of their Future Future League, in that everything they do is two years too late.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Does Palm ever actually do anything vs. DS or is it just going to get countered 95% of the time?

Generally you worry about discard more with Palm than counterspells. Ds generally can't sit on counter spells as much against burn as they would like.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This sideboard seems pretty tidy:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/702340#paper

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Stony's might be a little much but every meta is different.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Banning Death's Shadow is probably what everyone expects wotc to do now that Modern is in the Pro Tour again. They're going to psych us all out and band the tronlands or something equally as dumb instead.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

The Stony's might be a little much but every meta is different.

I almost want to run 2x Ensnaring Bridge but don't own any.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

That does seem pretty standard. If it were up to me, I'd take out the Relics and put in Grafdiggers Cage. I generally anticipate Company being a lot more prevelant than Dredge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

That does seem pretty standard. If it were up to me, I'd take out the Relics and put in Grafdiggers Cage. I generally anticipate Company being a lot more prevelant than Dredge.

And then living end eats you for breakfast. I think you are still a dog in the match even with cages.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, I have seen a good amount of Company in the few stores I play at from time to time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh hey the scorpion god is officially dead in story, I'm sure everyone is excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hey do y'all wanna see some clumsy rear end writing

quote:

The minotaur conjured an angry flame that engulfed the head of its spear. Djeru shuffled closer. "I . . . I've never seen the undead cast spells before," he said.

"I've never seen the corpses of our slain champions imbued with lazotep then unleashed on the city before," Samut said. "It is a day of firsts."