Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1047573970537594884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DavidAFrench/status/1047594152035270656

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i sometimes listen to the slate political podcast because i hate myself and they had David French on and Emily Bazelon, who would make a fine president, could barely keep herself from strangling that motherfucker as he twisted himself into a pretzel finding any possible reason to cast doubt on Dr Ford and acquit the rapist brett kavanaugh

anyway :killing:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

is this a tacit admission he’s done something or is he casting himself as the exception?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pirate Radar posted:

is this a tacit admission he’s done something or is he casting himself as the exception?

Well, he was the host of The Man Show...

Edit: I don't think the show itself was bad but I would be wholly unsurprised if poo poo happened backstage that was kept under wraps.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

idk about kimmel specifically but this seems more like he's saying all comedians are drunkards and drug addicts who do stupid poo poo the moment they get a taste of fame

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yeah you love to defend US special forces

US and Assad's death squads are both bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SpaceGoku posted:

idk about kimmel specifically but this seems more like he's saying all comedians are drunkards and drug addicts who do stupid poo poo the moment they get a taste of fame

and that they generally come from broken hosed up backgrounds

it's not particularly spicy to say that comedians are almost always profoundly damaged people

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Pirate Radar posted:

This might be a hot take but I feel like theres a spectrum between being not a rapist and Bill Cosby. Louis C.k is obviously on it but hes still a funny comedian that lost his show and was shunned for a whole year, he still wants to perform and his fans obviously want him to perform. What punishment would be acceptable? He says in the article comedy is democratic if he wasnt funny or people didn't want to see him he wouldnt be on stage. I dont see the issue if they cleary label that hes going to be at the club and people can make the decision whether to go or not.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's not particularly spicy to say that comedians are almost always profoundly damaged people

so thats why everyones a comedian these days

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Suddenly the Joker makes sense. Also the Comedian.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Someone help me, I can't make the connection between those two paragraphs.

also, are they pretending med school doesn't exist or something?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Sorry, second image didn't post correctly, here's the context

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
They really need to announce the twitter version of the Darwin awards

Slutitution has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Oct 4, 2018

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The first take is insanely spicy. The second one is just some STEMlord snarky self-aggrandizement combined with :biotruths:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

seiferguy posted:

Well, he was the host of The Man Show...

Edit: I don't think the show itself was bad but I would be wholly unsurprised if poo poo happened backstage that was kept under wraps.

The shameful thing about The Man Show is not that it was trashy (it was) or misogynistic (it was), but rather that it was a grating, desperately unfunny comedy show

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Slutitution posted:

They really need to announce the twitter version of the Darwin awards

There would be way too many entrants

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it was more like the white man show imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the man show was like that dollar guy from robocop stretched out over years

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1047287469207515136

Not even an acknowledgement of Bernie interviewing literally thousands of Amazon employees around the country over the last year about horrible wages and working conditions, or even a mention of the Stop BEZOS Act he introduced.

She's still bitter. :lol:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
she literally called the fight for 15 "pony promises" during the campaign

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also no mention of the fact that they took away bonuses to pay for the wage increase.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/1047557507755991041

that's the thing about you Americans

you think sexual assault is bad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1047897430409322496

:hmmyes:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Slutitution posted:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1047287469207515136

Not even an acknowledgement of Bernie interviewing literally thousands of Amazon employees around the country over the last year about horrible wages and working conditions, or even a mention of the Stop BEZOS Act he introduced.

She's still bitter. :lol:

if theres one thing that defines hillary's philosophy of change it's that absolutely everything that happens in the world is due to the enlightened actions of politicians and CEOs

there was an under-remembered for how awful it was argument she tried to make in 2008 where she credited lbj for the civil rights movement and downplayed the importance of mlk and the other actual activists

jesus gently caress obama should have let her image die after the primary and not have played an active part in rehabilitating it, the world would have been so much better off

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Oct 4, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

if theres one thing that defines hillary's philosophy of change it's that absolutely everything that happens in the world is due to the enlightened actions of politicians and CEOs

I'm not even sure that's it. I think she's just very cynical and extremely risk-adverse. The latter is one of the major reasons her campaign was terrible, and also explains a lot about her politics. She loves nothing more than to hedge her bets on a topic until the second she's sure she knows what will benefit her most, then claim she held that position the whole time. It's also why she doesn't like direct action; it's not easily predicable and it's hard for her to pretend she was behind any successes it manages.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's no phrase that better sums up Hillary Clinton than "Kudos to Jeff Bezos"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1047625785039835136

Hirofumi Yoshimura, mayor of Osaka posted:

“I am in favour of activities to protect the dignity and human rights of women,” he said. “However, if the purpose is to protect the human rights of women, I would suggest that some of the special attention currently being given to Japan’s ‘comfort women’ issue should be broadened to memorialise all the women who have been sexually assaulted and abused by soldiers of countries in the world.”

#allwomenwhohavebeensexuallyassaultedandabusedbysoldiersofthecountriesintheworld

Hot assist by the Chronicle, with the double world score “controversial”.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

If you listen to the first 100 episodes of Marc Maron's WTF podcast where it was only comedians doing a friend a solid, it becomes quickly apparent that this abundantly true. Standup comedy self-selects for broken people and pretty much the only exceptions are modern ones who came up not through standup but through collaborative improv where you actually have to be able to work with others toward a common goal. Every decent human you can think of in comedy, like Colbert or Hartman, came up this way and it's not coincidence.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LastInLine posted:

If you listen to the first 100 episodes of Marc Maron's WTF podcast where it was only comedians doing a friend a solid, it becomes quickly apparent that this abundantly true. Standup comedy self-selects for broken people and pretty much the only exceptions are modern ones who came up not through standup but through collaborative improv where you actually have to be able to work with others toward a common goal. Every decent human you can think of in comedy, like Colbert or Hartman, came up this way and it's not coincidence.

Those people are soulless corporate liberals so in a way they're worse than alcoholic/drug addicts that have chronic depression and severe issues

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Those people are soulless corporate liberals so in a way they're worse than alcoholic/drug addicts that have chronic depression and severe issues

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

and what percentage of his wealth did those givings consist of

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Kitfox88 posted:

and what percentage of his wealth did those givings consist of

I'm the Acts of the Apostles, an old rich couple sells some of their land to give to the church and claims it's everything they owned, and St. Peter is so disappointed in them that they drop dead on the spot. It's a top tier Bible superpower, up there with summoning bears to murder people who make fun of you, and conjuring really good booze at parties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Also in Acts: Paul’s speech is so long and boring it puts a guy to sleep. He falls out the window and dies.

Paul resurrects the guy, but that doesn’t erase the shame of his boring sermon.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/googlyartiste/status/1047695044390481920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

This might be a hot take but I feel like theres a spectrum between being not a rapist and Bill Cosby. Louis C.k is obviously on it but hes still a funny comedian that lost his show and was shunned for a whole year, he still wants to perform and his fans obviously want him to perform. What punishment would be acceptable? He says in the article comedy is democratic if he wasnt funny or people didn't want to see him he wouldnt be on stage. I dont see the issue if they cleary label that hes going to be at the club and people can make the decision whether to go or not.

You're right, "being talented should give you a free pass on being doing a little of of sexual harassment/assault" is a pretty hot take