Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's going to be hysterical if through some freak miracle Dreadwolf does come out how much is going to be blatantly stolen from BG3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

orcane posted:

I assume EA sent had idiotic strategic directives for Bioware (some of the trend chasing has to be from them and that goes back all the way to ME2/DA2) but from the "what went wrong" articles re: Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda it sounded like Bioware was ruining itself even without outside help.

EA had some overarching policy directives, wanting GaaS stuff, but generally left Bioware alone. It's almost entirely the Bioware middle management who kept loving it up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

pentyne posted:

EA had some overarching policy directives, wanting GaaS stuff, but generally left Bioware alone. It's almost entirely the Bioware middle management who kept loving it up.

It's funny how the multiplayer directive for Mass Effect 3 ended up accidentally making the best part of it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

orcane posted:

I assume EA had idiotic strategic directives for Bioware (some of the trend chasing has to be from them and that goes back all the way to ME2/DA2) but from the "what went wrong" articles re: Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda it sounded like Bioware was ruining itself even without outside help.

That was my feeling as well

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nichael posted:

It's funny how the multiplayer directive for Mass Effect 3 ended up accidentally making the best part of it.

It was an amazing multiplayer! That they didn't grow after that game and didn't port to the rerelease!

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

At this point, that trailer just pisses me off more than anything. This is... what, the third vague teaser we've had in over half a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3lrXlti-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x685DxMcw

Only for this one to drop and say "get excited, you will finally get a glimpse of the actual game NEXT year!"

I am not even kidding when I say that dead silence would've gotten me more marginally more hyped. This is genuinely just embarrassing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Shard posted:

Is Bioware even making any money right now?

they probably got a good chunk from the Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
So sad that Bioware is gonna loving die after the like greatest year of RPGs ever

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

More like hilarious

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shard posted:

It was an amazing multiplayer! That they didn't grow after that game and didn't port to the rerelease!

These were baffling decisions too. Bioware!

Generic American posted:

At this point, that trailer just pisses me off more than anything. This is... what, the third vague teaser we've had in over half a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3lrXlti-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x685DxMcw

Only for this one to drop and say "get excited, you will finally get a glimpse of the actual game NEXT year!"

I am not even kidding when I say that dead silence would've gotten me more marginally more hyped. This is genuinely just embarrassing.

It's also probably the least interesting teaser yet.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to replay Origins.

Dragon Aged like Fine Wine

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

BioWare is basically an incredibly talent figure skater, in a world that is just waking up to appreciating figure skating. In this world, BioWare had dreams. Unfortunately, those dreams were to be an accountant. Even more unfortunately, BioWare has troubles with math, and is incapable of showing up to the office on time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone at Bioware who isn't drinking the kool-aid or wearing tshirts that say "it's the Bioware Magic" has probably already made inquiries to see if Larian is hiring.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been leaving messages on Swen's answering machine pitching myself as an "ideas guy" but he has yet to return my calls.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I'm going to replay Origins.

Dragon Aged like Fine Wine

I've been thinking about doing a series run for a while now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

It's just amazing to me that Dragon Age Inquisition came out 10 years ago, did pretty well, and Bioware spent the next decade trying to chase trends to increasingly catastrophic results when they could have changed literally nothing about their formula and had a BG3 competitor in 2023. If they didn't poo poo the bed so badly, they probably would have been the favorites to make BG3 themselves. Extremely sad lol!

Dragon Age Inquisition was them chasing trends.

Shard posted:

Did this happen because of EA or did the people in charge of Bioware make these decisions themselves to change and chase trends?

The thing you are not suppose to talk about because "publisher evil" and "developer pure and good" is EA offers generous bonuses based on performance. So all the terrible tread chasing has come from middle managers and up dreaming of buying Ferraris.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shard posted:

Is Bioware even making any money right now?

Probably not, Swtor actually became extremely profitable after it went F2P but I heard that they've lost ownership of that to a third-party company, Broadsword. With that gone I suppose EA is keeping them afloat but if Dreadwolf bombs who knows.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everytime I think about playing origins again in overwhelmed by the color brown in my mind and decide not to

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Probably not, Swtor actually became extremely profitable after it went F2P but I heard that they've lost ownership of that to a third-party company, Broadsword. With that gone I suppose EA is keeping them afloat but if Dreadwolf bombs who knows.

I don't think they lost ownership. They sold it. And most of the bioware Austin team now works at broadsword. The last thing I liked by bioware isn't even there's anymore and the people who made the thing I liked will still be working on it so I'm cool

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Bioware is just an empty shell now, almost everyone of substance and impact who worked there during Mass Effect 1 through DAI is gone, either from being fired or burnt out.

The legacy of Bioware is going to be their collective delusion that was the concept of Bioware Magic which in reality was just the standard dev crunch that occurs with almost every major video game and has for decades.

It's entirely possible that Larian getting the license to do the new Baldur's Gate game was seen by Bioware as some borderline charity for a mid tier game company to maybe make some nice money off a mild success. Instead it's more or less relegated them as a relic of the past and given Larian the status Bioware used to have.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pretty weird how Rockstar also took a decade to follow up on their last GTA, and the trailer that just dropped appears to show an actual video game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCokMTQ6qKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

These look the exact same

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

RevolverDivider posted:

It's going to be hysterical if through some freak miracle Dreadwolf does come out how much is going to be blatantly stolen from BG3.

What would they steal from BG3 that isn't already pretty well-established fantasy RPG territory? I doubt they're looking to institute a dice-roll system.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's entirely possible that Larian getting the license to do the new Baldur's Gate game was seen by Bioware as some borderline charity for a mid tier game company to maybe make some nice money off a mild success.
The D&D videogame license doesn't belong to Bioware.

Back in ye olde times when D&D belong to TCR, they gave Interplay the license to make D&D videogames. Who in turn hired Bioware to develop one.
Larian studios directly contacted WotC about wanting to do a Baldur's Gate sequel.

Generic American posted:

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I get they probably felt they had to put out ~something~. But it's again just highlighting that they have nothing to show.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 5, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Err....is the final line in the DA trailer supposed to be spoken by Solas?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nephthys posted:

With that gone I suppose EA is keeping them afloat but if Dreadwolf bombs who knows.

This is my basic read. They're getting enough support to limp along until Dreadwolf maybe gets shat out, and then it's curtains.

Unless Dreadwolf is somehow a miraculous success, but the odds on that are so long, I don't think that outcome is worth considering.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Err....is the final line in the DA trailer supposed to be spoken by Solas?

I assume it's the Archon of the Tevinter Imperium since that's where the game takes place. If it is supposed to be Solas, that dang. Dang.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 5, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I still think dreadwolf might not even come out. The game was supposed to release this year, and they still can show any hints of actual gameplay. We got a teaser for a trailer, maybe dropping half a year later.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hell, I think the consensus opinion at this point is that it isn't coming out. Bioware releasing any game at all is beating the odds.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 5, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is what happens when you restart a project a million times

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Sometimes the writers trying to communicate the “hotness” of a character to the artists didn’t go smoothly. The writers would sometimes say things like, ok, this character is a romance, they need to be hot, and the designs would come back looking “like Burt Reynolds”, and the writers would be like “???” And then a character that wasn’t particularly intended to be hot, as in that wasn’t mentioned at all in the descriptions of them, would come back “accidentally hot”, and the writers would be like “Why couldn’t you have done this when we were asking for a character that was meant to be hot”, and the artists would be like “What?? He’s not hot”. And this became a thing (lmao - this discussion was prompted by DG being asked “Was Duncan meant to be that hot?”, for context). Some of the artists were so paranoid about their [in]ability to judge actually-hot characters that when it was time to pick an appearance, like for Alistair, they gathered up all the women at BioWare, and DG (“resident gay”) into a room to show them an array of faces and bodies like “Is this hot? Is this hot?” DG and co would sit there like, “How can you not tell? Is this a straight man thing?!” Anyways, this is why oftentimes we ended up with characters who are accidentally hot.
https://felassan.tumblr.com/post/630420622367997952/dragon-age-development-insights-from-david-gaider

The ME thread was talking about voice-acting and voice direction. It reminded me of this because my first response to reading this was "...my GF loves Alistair to pieces but it sure isn't because of how he looks." After asking her, sure enough, she liked him just because of his personality and voice. That is true for me when it comes to Leliana or Merrill.

Because these games are loving ugly and always have been. The characters' "hotness" is solely due to the character put into them by the writers and voice-actors, not the character design philosophy of "grab women and gay people and ask their opinion on looks."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 5, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That, and fan-artists making those designs look cool and beautiful

grobbo
May 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

DG and co would sit there like, “How can you not tell? Is this a straight man thing?!”

And yet you claimed to see nothing wrong with Zevran's face in DA2, David Gaider. Most curious.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

grobbo posted:

And yet you claimed to see nothing wrong with Zevran's face in DA2, David Gaider. Most curious.

No one's face looked good in DA2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ShakeZula posted:

What would they steal from BG3 that isn't already pretty well-established fantasy RPG territory? I doubt they're looking to institute a dice-roll system.

Barrels. But they won't explode

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ShakeZula posted:

The cinematic dialogue sequences add a lot to BG3. People in general really seem to enjoy turn-based combat over real-time combat as well, and that'd be a pretty big change for Dragon Age.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Admiral Ray posted:

The cinematic dialogue sequences add a lot to BG3. People in general really seem to enjoy turn-based combat over real-time combat as well, and that'd be a pretty big change for Dragon Age.

I mean the cinematic dialogue sequences in BG3 are only really noteworthy because they're such a departure from the rest of the game's art style and from other games of the type. That kind of conversation portrayal has been commonplace in other games for a long time, including in Dragon Age games.

And I would definitely dispute the idea that people in general prefer the turn-based combat system over real-time combat. BG3 is a success but turn-based hasn't exactly taken over the industry, and basically everyone who has bounced off BG3 has done so precisely because of the combat system.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think in terms of those kind of RPGs, we're seeing more successes with recent-ish games that take on that turn-based system; BG3 did well, Octopath enjoyed modest success, Persona and Fire Emblem continue to chunk out what works with their formula.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even though RTWP combat is generally inferior to turn-based, the combat in Dragon Age Inquisition was honestly "fine" as far as those systems go. BG3's main innovation is having zero trash encounters that are so ubiquitous to CRPGs, fights that are only essentially there to waste time and check down progress until the next quest marker. Every fight in BG3 feels like its own event, designed for a wide variety of approaches, strategies, and environmental gimmicks. RTWP tends to struggle with these approaches because the degree of automation means that you kind of have to limit player input. There are novel approaches like FF7R basically changing up the entire gameplay whenever you switch characters, but I don't think Bioware has the innovation to pull anything like that off well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dragon Age combat in 2 and 3 is boring. Just holding a drat button the entire time. Felt like playing a MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yaGJssTi0