Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Ditch role queue in the mass open grave of esports where it belongs and throw the 1 hero per team restriction in there too. If you can't figure out how to beat our 5 torbjorns and 1 lucio you don't deserve the win

But like how does it existing hurt you, I never understood the push to get rid of the role queue, there's people that enjoy it and old queue's still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
To me that is when it went from a tf2 knockoff to sweaty moba/league clone that you play in first person. It also calcified the meta and we will never get weird metas like they have in other games that upend the whole thing.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Ditch role queue in the mass open grave of esports where it belongs and throw the 1 hero per team restriction in there too. If you can't figure out how to beat our 5 torbjorns and 1 lucio you don't deserve the win

Duplicate characters died long before RQ and goats came along: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/overwatch-to-limit-teams-to-one-of-each-character-/1100-6441726/ I don't remember when it came to QP, but it was a while before there was even talks of RQ.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

But like how does it existing hurt you, I never understood the push to get rid of the role queue, there's people that enjoy it and old queue's still exist.

imo it's the only way to bring back 6v6 (god's chosen format) without queue times longer than the average match

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

imo it's the only way to bring back 6v6 (god's chosen format) without queue times longer than the average match

Are open queue times that bad? I've never tried it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

What do you guys think of this patch? I wouldn't have noticed the difference I think, although I haven't tried (via MH) all the changed heroes yet.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Packinham posted:

To me that is when it went from a tf2 knockoff to sweaty moba/league clone that you play in first person. It also calcified the meta and we will never get weird metas like they have in other games that upend the whole thing.

It's always had the first person MOBA feel, for better or for worse. At launch, the big problem was that ults were way too important, they built up faster than they do now, and the gauge didn't even instantly drain; if for example, you threw out a Mei ult and died before the projectile was released, you'd still have most of your gauge left to ult again next fight.

It got worse over time because they kept adding heroes with abilities that feel less at home in a shooter and more at home in a MOBA or MMO. Meanwhile, the ult problem never really went away, it actually got worse as people learned how to play the game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've never considered it a shooter. How could you consider a game with Reinhardt in it a shooter? To me it is an attempt to pit different types of video games against each other. You can play a guy from a classic FPS or a paladin/cleric from an MMO or punchy dude from a fighter. Pharah comes from tribes, solder comes from COD, junk and torb come from TF. Calling it a shooter is way too limiting.

The point of Overwatch overall is to make widow one tricks feel bad and leave the game for ever.

headcase fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 15, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lord Packinham posted:

I miss this a lot too. Watching teams start working out how to knock out goats with weirder comps only for it to be rug pulled out for 5v5 sucks, i was curious for the next meta.

Also worth noting that mercy meta lasted longer than goats but for some reason goats is the meta that went on for "too long". Ugh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

headcase posted:

I've never considered it a shooter. How could you consider a game with Reinhardt in it a shooter?
Is tf2 not a shooter because you can play demoknight? Most of the game revolves around shooting things.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I would say about half of overwatch revolves around shooting guns at enemies. Enough that calling it a shooter really doesn't capture what's going on.

The problem I have with calling it a shooter, is that people that like playing damage class get upset when other classes do other things that win the game.

"doom is so cheap" "sym is no skill" "mercy shouldn't be in the game"

If I wanted to shoot hitscan guns at people's heads, I wouldn't play overwatch.

That said, I'm glad widow and soldier are in the game, and i'm glad there are so many non-shooting ways of defeating or nullifying them.

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 16, 2024

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

That said, I'm glad widow and soldier are in the game, and i'm glad there are so many non-shooting ways of defeating or nullifying them.

quote:

The point of Overwatch overall is to make widow one tricks feel bad and leave the game for ever.

The duality of man, right here

We should probably just report everyone who plays Widow in every category, now that we know the system is automated. Then it will be like 2016 again, where one of the very first controversies in the game was that Widow OTPs were getting mass reported and temp banned, which led to a statement from Blizz about OTPing being against TOS if people find it disruptive, followed by a retraction.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

The duality of man, right here

We should probably just report everyone who plays Widow in every category, now that we know the system is automated. Then it will be like 2016 again, where one of the very first controversies in the game was that Widow OTPs were getting mass reported and temp banned, which led to a statement from Blizz about OTPing being against TOS if people find it disruptive, followed by a retraction.

Those 2 statements are identical, not duality. I'm glad they are there so I can make them ragequit with winston or lucio.

would the game have any flavor at all if i couldn't counter genji with moira?

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I will defend Widowmaker's rear end with my life. Also, they have new Twitch drops. Sombra conjurer stuff.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Just played my first game with a no heal challenge illari on my team. We stomped them into dust.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

Those 2 statements are identical, not duality. I'm glad they are there so I can make them ragequit with winston or lucio.

would the game have any flavor at all if i couldn't counter genji with moira?

Two different cases, here, really.

I assure you, if you are countering a Widow by swapping to a Lucio or a Winston, they aren't a good Widow. Sure you can pick heroes that let you play against a Widow better based on whatever skill level you are at, but if you are successfully countering them, you are playing a different game than some. Look at your Genji Moira scenario. Why would going Moira "counter" a Genji? Because you are harder to hit, have a hyper movement-based escape on CD, and a powerful self heal if need be? Sure, these are all things that will help you survive against a Genji if you are having trouble surviving against them. I'm in this scenario quite often, especially if I am having an off day for aim, where i'd rather just go Moira to make it easier on myself. What else does Moira do? Well, you can assert pressure on the Genji because you essentially only have to keep track of their location approximately in order to deal damage, without having to actually aim. Does that counter the Genji? If the Genji is bad, yeah. It basically means they can't be a menace simply by existing. If they are good, they are going to hit their shots, deal their damage, and get out before the pressure results in them dying. You aren't really countering the Genji, you are making up for a skill deficiency in some area by playing a hero that gets more value for less. Some people have a problem with that, but it isn't necessarily bad for the game, it's just allowing the player to focus entirely on game sense and decision making rather than mechanical skill.

Here's why a lot of people have a problem with Widow specifically. She is a menace simply by existing. The ONLY actual counter to a good widow (good meaning 'good enough' for whatever skill level you are playing at) is another widow. Then you are essentially playing a 4v4 with a separate 1v1 concurrently happening that is essentially holding your 4v4 game hostage. No other hero in the game does this. It's always been a problem, but, you guessed it -- it's another problem made much worse by the change to 5v5.

So what if we aren't dealing with cracked-out widows that can actually aim? Well, you are potentially playing a 4v5 game with dead weight sitting around. It happens in QP a lot, which is frustrating, but it's just QP. To be fair, you could say the same about any person playing any role on any team, but I think most of us will agree this problem is the most apparent when there is one Widow on one team that just isn't doing anything.

She's a terribly designed hero, and the game would be better without her; she doesn't add diversity, she takes it away. Ashe is a good hero, probably one of the better heroes they've ever designed. In some alternate timeline, Ashe would have taken the place of Widow and the game would have been even better out of the gate.

Surely you feel some of this problem, as you expressed desire for making the widow one tricks leaving the game forever.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I turned around a quickplay game by swapping to Lucio. I am a terrible Lucio who can't wallride for poo poo but it stopped the Ball from constantly diving me because I was never there to be dove and I could just rely on my ambient healing and willingness to peel for my other support.

I'm not sure this is a shooter tbh.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I dunno man, I am just poo poo posting and living my best life.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I wanted to play a game focusing on centering your screen onto other players then I'd play any one of the billion games out there that do that.
It's not the reason why I (used to) play Overwatch.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

If I wanted to play a game focusing on centering your screen onto other players then I'd play any one of the billion games out there that do that.
It's not the reason why I (used to) play Overwatch.

But its still cool that people can play however they want to and try to make it work. Wanna try widow? Fine but don't get mad when there are a bunch of Divey M1 holders and shields in your face.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

trip report: Ana continues to be a nightmare to play because every motherfucker is gunning for you

at least Widow has a grapple.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been maining Ana this season. You can carry by just staying alive for 3 seconds longer and nobody ever knows how much tanking you did by taking all the bullets for 3 seconds, but your team wins in the meantime.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

headcase posted:

I've been maining Ana this season. You can carry by just staying alive for 3 seconds longer and nobody ever knows how much tanking you did by taking all the bullets for 3 seconds, but your team wins in the meantime.

I just swap after first nano if they're running Winston or Ball. Go pick on someone else!!! :mad:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just swap after first nano if they're running Winston or Ball. Go pick on someone else!!! :mad:

Yeah I just go zen and never stop throwing balls at them. Winston with no shield and a discord dies pretty fast. My only problem with playing Ana against him is you are completely helpless against the shield and constantly divided from your team.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Amazon Prime is giving away 5 more tier skips. I'm going to have 15 total for the next season.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How do ya'll feel about Marvel Rivals being a legit OW competitor in the future?

I haven't had a chance to play the Alpha myself, but it seems like a lot of people in the OW space have slowly been coming around in the past few days and liking it more and more. It's 3rd person instead of 1st and needs a bit of polish to be up to 2024 standards, but it at least looks somewhat interesting.

The number of character possibilities is extremely high, and there is already a pretty large supposedly datamined list of ones with at least some assets in the game. It just needs the polish at first glance.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think they're very different games. Marvel is targeting the Fortnite crowd more and also I'm pretty sure streamers had to sign an non-disparagement clause to have early access, so they can't actually say if the game is poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

novaSphere posted:

I think they're very different games. Marvel is targeting the Fortnite crowd more and also I'm pretty sure streamers had to sign an non-disparagement clause to have early access, so they can't actually say if the game is poo poo.

They walked that back, I think.

I've been watching a lot of my usual perpetual top 100 or so current and former OW streamers play a little bit, and it seems like the amount of positive praise has gone up, if anything. The first day or two, most were saying they thought it was kinda lame, or "fun, but too casual to compete".

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Oh that's good to hear at least. I'd like a game like Marvel Rivals to succeed, I'm just not sure if I have much faith in it. Mind, I'm also a weirdo that genuinely really liked Gundam Evolution.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Marvel Rivals has some amazing innovative ideas like the weekly rotating hero bonuses.
"Rocket Racoon has +15% damage this week. Hope you bought him if you want to win."

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
It's Netease

It's dead already,like I cannot stress how consistent this company is with destroying every game they touch

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

novaSphere posted:

Oh that's good to hear at least. I'd like a game like Marvel Rivals to succeed, I'm just not sure if I have much faith in it. Mind, I'm also a weirdo that genuinely really liked Gundam Evolution.

The core gameplay of Gunevo was good, it was the insane match structure and monetization. No such thing as a true casual queue, even unranked games used OW Competitive style rules. And they were charging like, a thousand dollars worth of dupe credits for Char Aznable's Zaku skin.

SirKibbles posted:

It's Netease

It's dead already,like I cannot stress how consistent this company is with destroying every game they touch

Rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

It's Netease

so it really is a blizzard competitor?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rumor has it Valve's working on a 6v6 hero shooter

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

team fortress 3?!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

so it really is a blizzard competitor?

lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SirKibbles posted:

It's Netease

Wasn't the Diablo game a huge success?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I dunno, it looks more like one of those not-Dota mobas than a not-Overwatch:

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791311128422748285

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791110448114188557

Re: Marvel Heroes, from watching it, I thought there were some good ideas. The previously mentioned synergies (Team Ups) that they could use as another lever to encourage people play certain characters or maybe to not fall into a particular meta? And I really liked the Dr Strange portal which you can place seemingly anywhere and both teams can use it to go through and shoot through. But the big thing will be how they're gonna distribute new characters, monetization, etc etc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I heard about this, something about "lanes" in a shooter sounds a little weird. It seems like they are trying to reinvent the DOTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Marvel Rivals looks extremely mid to me