Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone play the Fallen Aces demo? Had to kill every process I had other to get it to run well but I did and it's honestly kinda fun. I generally dislike most fps games with that slightly more complex inventory system but it worked pretty well. I laughed so hard when I chucked some idiot off the roof and he flew about 20 yards

Yep, Fallen Aces is...ace :imunfunny:
It's on my list to insta buy, much like Cultic was after I played the demo for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osYu-QC38JQ

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just finished first episode of Blood.

So very good. Pretty easy to see why its considered the best build game. And while it's harder than DN3D overall, the enemies feel a lot more fair. There's nothing as BULLSHIT as those sentry drones in the second episode. Do those go away after the lunar missions? Its the type of enemy that shouldn't have a vast hp pool yet its tougher than pretty much anything that isnt those fat guys on scooters but at least those you can land rockets on.

Hell I might rank Shadow Warrior above Duke at this point. I haven't gotten far enough to encounter the bullshit in it yet though

Sentry drones are less common in later episodes, but they do still show up. If you stand by a door and just open it an inch or so you can slam it shut right before they hit the door and take no damage. I didn't think they were hard, but they're just not fun to fight.

Rating SW above Duke is wrong IMO. I started SW and haven't even made it through the shareware episode. It's impressive how a game about being a badass ninja can make shooting things feels so slow and clunky. Why does it take two shotgun shells to kill a ninja? Why does my shotgun fire in one or four shot bursts? Why does the uzi suck so much ammo? Why does the level design require me to run across the level three times when I move so slow?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I'd put SW over Duke as well. Those are all legitimate complaints, but on the other hand... that grenade launcher.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 13, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it depends on your priorities with a game, SW is a lot harder than Duke so if challenge is your martin concern I could see liking it, and there's still a lot to love with the grenade launcher and the mini nukes. That said I think the overall design is a little weaker and somehow it manages to be even cringier than duke.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's the racism.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well yeah, duh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dunno where else to sstick this so

https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1613956925116514304?s=20

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The grenade launcher in SW (and, really, the rocket launcher too) do a lot to make Shadow Warrior tolerable. You get so much drat ammo for them that they're basically your staple weapons for probably 2/3 of the game. I don't really love any of the guns in Duke 3D. They're fine but I never find myself missing that chaingun cannon or shrinker or whatever in other games.

I think the levels in Duke are better though. SW maps are cramped and kinda random feeling, but at least you have that grenade launcher.

Blood is so much better than both of them that it's hard for me to even put up with the Build jank for them sometimes.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
How about Duke 64? That has a grenade launcher. And a few alternate ammo types. The charged up plasma cannon could almost one-shot a battlelord sentry. And dumdum rounds for the pistol were ridiculously strong. I actually like a lot of the changes in that port

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Duke64 is a real interesting remix of 3D. Well worth a play if you enjoyed the PC game.

RedNukem lets you play it on PC with KB+M and all the trimmings. Just throw the ROM file in the same folder and you're off to the races. It'll even pull the music from the PC version if you have it installed on Steam or GOG or something!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

The grenade launcher in SW (and, really, the rocket launcher too) do a lot to make Shadow Warrior tolerable. You get so much drat ammo for them that they're basically your staple weapons for probably 2/3 of the game. I don't really love any of the guns in Duke 3D. They're fine but I never find myself missing that chaingun cannon or shrinker or whatever in other games.

I think the levels in Duke are better though. SW maps are cramped and kinda random feeling, but at least you have that grenade launcher.

Blood is so much better than both of them that it's hard for me to even put up with the Build jank for them sometimes.

For sure, I love everything about SW's grenade launcher and also the tear gas grenades. It gave me real "guerilla" warfare vibes, grenading the poo poo out of unexplored areas and using chemical warfare to force enemies out of hiding so I could gun them down as they emerged or nuke them if they did not.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have always found it a bit funky that due to high lethality and very mean enemy placement, the pro move in Build games is to do as little direct combat as possible.

Sort of detracts from the alleged badassery of Duke/Caleb/Lo Wang.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

John Murdoch posted:

I have always found it a bit funky that due to high lethality and very mean enemy placement, the pro move in Build games is to do as little direct combat as possible.

I play pretty much play every FPS like that anyway lol. To be honest it's just as much about clearing everyone out of an area so as to not get caught from behind

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Badassery or not, it's a lot of fun to play that way. Dynamite dodgeball is basically my favorite part of Blood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Murdoch posted:

When you finish a level, the enemy population is almost entirely decimated because of you. So I wouldn't worry about apparent badassery. It's fine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

It’s from an era where one of the principal badasses of film was John McClane, who famously spends all of Die Hard scampering and running away from direct combat since he’s so vastly outnumbered. That’s pretty badass to me, using all the tricks up your sleeve to overcome an army of bad guys with big guns.

I guess Caleb is undead but other than that the Build protags are just regular dudes with a lot of skill and conviction rather than some badass in power armor.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is from a few months ago, but I only just stumbled upon it. An update from Digsite Crew, a mod team given free reign to rummage through the Halo 1 and 2 development archives to recover and restore cut and incomplete things to final-version quality for MCC modders to play with. Yes, this includes that level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57DoNDDp3r8

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

anilEhilated posted:

Badassery or not, it's a lot of fun to play that way. Dynamite dodgeball is basically my favorite part of Blood.

Until ridiculous Havok ragdolling and prop destruction came along, Build Blood probably had the most satisfying fragging of bad guys.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 14, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i was just playing a map on a custom campaign for prodeus, and it had what i thought was a really good gimmick of no hud and you were only allowed to use one gun, and you had to use up all the ammo to switch to something else, and all the enemies seemed perfectly setup for what gun i was using at any time...and then i started the next map and had the same thing and realized it's some kinda bug. lol

an interesting idea for a map at any rate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just finished the base game of Blood. Predictably great. There's a few whiffs but they're pretty easy to overlook. That stupid maze/mansion level being harder to overlook than the others. I bet this game was a hoot in multiplayer

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just finished the base game of Blood. Predictably great. There's a few whiffs but they're pretty easy to overlook. That stupid maze/mansion level being harder to overlook than the others. I bet this game was a hoot in multiplayer

In episode 2?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not the good maze mansion where you get the books. The bad one after that

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not the good maze mansion where you get the books. The bad one after that

Oh, The Haunting? E2M5? They kinda blur together in my mind, but I don't mind either. The one I generally consider a bit of a whiff is In The Flesh in E4, which is a neat idea but I always feel a little confused while playing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

catlord posted:

The one I generally consider a bit of a whiff is In The Flesh in E4, which is a neat idea but I always feel a little confused while playing.

Had the exact same thought while playing it.

Are gargolyes supposed to cross a couple hundred yards in half a second or is that something to do with faster computers or something? Forget about hitting them on the wing generally. I'm running out and trying to lure them down to fight me like a... whatever we are

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this intentionally a big The Shining joke

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Playing through cultic on another custom difficulty preset, this time "one-hit kill mode" - everyone's damage is maximized and health is minimized. The weapons all come down to how quickly they can spit out as many pellets as possible, everything else is secondary.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:3:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1614365030245597185?t=0kMKksiMcPd29bC3uuspnw&s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
you know, Area 51's not a bad game

except for manson i guess

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Before you move on and you still have your Blood legs, you just have to play Death Wish. You just have to. It's incredible. I played it for the first time in October using Fresh Supply and had no issues. Best mod ever? Maybe. The real Blood 2? I think so. It follows the original's example of theming many levels off horror movies, including Aliens and The Thing, and it does it well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1614520630493478917

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/TheMisterCat1/status/1613935421880406026

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Christ, I'm trying to replay Blood after all these years and this Fresh Supply rerelease seems to be all I have on Steam but it's apparently a crash happy pile of poo poo!

Kex Assertion Failures for drat near everything I do and it's a clean install.

What are my alternatives?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Arivia posted:

Is this intentionally a big The Shining joke

Not but perhaps unintentionally.

Deakul posted:

Christ, I'm trying to replay Blood after all these years and this Fresh Supply rerelease seems to be all I have on Steam but it's apparently a crash happy pile of poo poo!

That's the version I have and it runs great, weird. There's some weird poo poo at the periphery of the screen where it kinda looks off but I think that's just because it's old

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Deakul posted:

From my understanding Atari is involved and won’t pay for or let Night Dive patch it anymore.

If you get ahold of the original assets (I think it’s sold under a different name?) there are now other options for running Blood under free hobbyist projects that are actively developed and supported.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
you can use the game files from Fresh Supply. it includes the standard assets.

the two most popular options are NBlood or BuildGDX

https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood

https://m210.duke4.net/

edit: yeah FS has worked well for me too and the Made to Order difficulty rules

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2023

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Deakul posted:

Have you tried verifying the install?

I've used FS on a couple of systems now and have had no issues at all except for having to swap some files around to get it working on the steam deck, but that's Atari's fault as mentioned previously

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/_maxgranger/status/1614451502663479296
Speaking of Blood: someone needs to add a voice line from the cultist to this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Who's the leftmost one on the top picture? Seems familiar but can't place it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Deakul posted:

Raze feels like you're playing ZDoom, because it's made by Graf Zahl. I'm phonepostin' or I'd post a link, but it worked great for me.