Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bring back newsradio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Warrior. also bring back Warrior. and try make a new show too that's really good and has stuff I like in it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Al! posted:

does the book have a second season too

idk it's p long though

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do kinda hope this kicks off a resurgence of 90s style disaster movies but just bigger scale to match the horrors of our modern world

Like give me Volcano 2: Yellowstone Caldera

You can just watch a storm chaser twitch or YouTube live now

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

this loving bitch started whining when i had us jump out of a crashing plane and then raft-ski down the entirety of the himilayas

Apparently Lucas wanted this sequence in the first movie and was told it was too dumb. I feel like everything good Lucas has ever made is in spite of his best efforts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

Apparently Lucas wanted this sequence in the first movie and was told it was too dumb. I feel like everything good Lucas has ever made is in spite of his best efforts
oh yeah absolutely. his wife edited the poo poo out of his movies too and it's very noticeable.

I'm not sure how much credit I'll give to lucas vs his DP and crew, but watching the star wars 4k77 80gb copy and and seeing all the little technical details that went into sets and some of the behind the scenes footage really does reveal just how extensive and genuinely groundbreaking a lot of the technical work was that went into that movie. it really is genuinely impressive and easy to nerd out on the practicals and technical side which is one of the things I like a lot about movies is the "movie magic" behind them.

Likewise American Graffiti is not great as a movie but it's very well shot and framed. The Soderberg Cut also shows how well Raiders is tightly shot with great compositions and framing. while I wouldn't recommend someone seek out and watch the full Soderberg cut of raiders, it's very fascinating to watch. So I think he does/did have some genuinely good talent in some of the more filming and setup side of things.

writing though? lmfao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Jackie Chan rolled down a mountain in a rubber ball in Operation Condor

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

So in honor of X-Men 97's massive success they're giving the X-Men MCU movie to........the showrunner of a wheel in time or the writer of the last few hunger games and now you see me 3, apparently they're both so good Disney can't decide

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol dogshit writing everyone of them

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Marvel in 2014: hires Oscar-winning directors/writers by the truckload to make generic superslop

Marvel in 2024: "maybe we can get him for a meeting once the third jessie eisenberg magician movie is done filming"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bro Dad posted:

jessie eisenberg
who?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mark zuckerberg played him in adventureland

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I haven’t been in a theater in four years. might go see furiosa

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven’t been in a theater in four years. might go see furiosa

same

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

i dont give a poo poo about scavangers reign netflix fuckin bring back raised by wolves you fucks

PRAISE SOL, BLESSED IS MOTHER.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mother versus that god drat, motherfucking, smirking salamander-panda. Who wins?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Justice for Father.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfkthLpeXw

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Xaris posted:

oh yeah absolutely. his wife edited the poo poo out of his movies too and it's very noticeable.

I'm not sure how much credit I'll give to lucas vs his DP and crew, but watching the star wars 4k77 80gb copy and and seeing all the little technical details that went into sets and some of the behind the scenes footage really does reveal just how extensive and genuinely groundbreaking a lot of the technical work was that went into that movie. it really is genuinely impressive and easy to nerd out on the practicals and technical side which is one of the things I like a lot about movies is the "movie magic" behind them.

Likewise American Graffiti is not great as a movie but it's very well shot and framed. The Soderberg Cut also shows how well Raiders is tightly shot with great compositions and framing. while I wouldn't recommend someone seek out and watch the full Soderberg cut of raiders, it's very fascinating to watch. So I think he does/did have some genuinely good talent in some of the more filming and setup side of things.

writing though? lmfao

hes a genius and understands Americans like no other

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd argue that we need more written Lucas media, especially now.

We need a character named Darth Private Equity more than ever

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He's a boomer, it'd just be Darth Trump

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We already had Nute Gunray

Also reminded of the goon who was like 'I pondered an AU where Sidious was actually just a rich corrupt politician pretending to be a Sith Lord and realised it barely changes anything'

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

loquacius posted:

He's a boomer, it'd just be Darth Trump

Given star wars naming conventions it'd be Darth Trumpiss

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already had Nute Gunray

Also reminded of the goon who was like 'I pondered an AU where Sidious was actually just a rich corrupt politician pretending to be a Sith Lord and realised it barely changes anything'

Nothing tops the cined exchange where some goon was like "there's no racism in the star wars universe" and (maybe it was smg) was like "okay then. Go ahead and call mace windu the n word if there's no racism"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

it's refreshing considering how many movies and shows are written with the expectation the audience will be looking at their phones at the same time

im still perplexed at how half of free guy is literally just people talking about how ryan reynolds is a character in a video game as if this wasnt already extremely obvious but also entirely irrelevant to the actually interesting stuff ryan reynolds is doing

its kind of like if half the scenes in total recall were scientists at the lab technobabbling about how arnolds in a deep coma and they need to rescue him and also their technology is being appropriated by an evil venture capitalist like who gives a poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In Training posted:

drat I didn't know the Resident evil TV show was woke. Devastating news

can anyone whos seen the resident evil tv show confirm how it was woke

are the zombies gay now

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
had young women and black man

also kept the number of good RE adaptations at a steady zero

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

im still perplexed at how half of free guy is literally just people talking about how ryan reynolds is a character in a video game as if this wasnt already extremely obvious but also entirely irrelevant to the actually interesting stuff ryan reynolds is doing

its kind of like if half the scenes in total recall were scientists at the lab technobabbling about how arnolds in a deep coma and they need to rescue him and also their technology is being appropriated by an evil venture capitalist like who gives a poo poo

Probably written for boomers who still don't believe video games exist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cael posted:

the weirdest part part of WW84 was that instead of being able to have actual conversations about concrete and meaningful reasons why it was bad and what it could have done better, 90% of its discourse was around if Diana was a rapist because she somehow wished for Steve to have his dead soul go into a real life person who she then had sex with while the normal person was "turned off" vs wishing for him to just be there in a new body with no complications

was dianas wish actually to bring steve back or did we just assume that

its entirely possible that it was actually the random guys wish to have sex with wonder woman but not in a rapey way and this was the only way to make that work

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, if anything modern comics are absolutely terrible for lots of pages where nothing loving happens. Unfortunately they seem to save all the dialogue for the writers' incredibly boomer takes on the modern world.

the marvel method: an obvious hustle invented by stan lee so that he didnt have to work as much, or a self sacrificing act of creative genius to ensure that the artists would draw good pictures of things people actually want to look at instead of having to cater to whatever stupid overly clever wankoff bullshit the writer felt like doing that day???

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Without wife guy directors we wouldn't have had the resident evil movie series

Who wants to live in that world

were the resident evil movies woke because they were about a woman or right wing because theyre a celebration of marriage

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

the marvel method: an obvious hustle invented by stan lee so that he didnt have to work as much, or a self sacrificing act of creative genius to ensure that the artists would draw good pictures of things people actually want to look at instead of having to cater to whatever stupid overly clever wankoff bullshit the writer felt like doing that day???

An actual business model is better than otherwise at least

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the marvel method: an obvious hustle invented by stan lee so that he didnt have to work as much

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

were the resident evil movies woke because they were about a woman or right wing because theyre a celebration of marriage

they seem in a weird spot of being both anti-corporation but rabidly pro-cop/military but also sometimes the cops/military murder civilians depending on the movie
but hell, they're stupid fun times

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Whoolighams posted:

The clips I saw of that anime cgi looked cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh the CGI movies are even dumber than the live action but they're a hell of a lot of fun all the same because they take place in the game worlds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Whoolighams posted:

Recast one white man into three black men, which actually makes it less woke than the US in 1787.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I know I watched the series and the movie reboot but I'll be damned if I remember anything about them except for Lance Reddick being awesome and goofy

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

gonna rewatch The Guest for some more Lance Reddick as Albert Wesker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I believe "Captain America: Time Rapist" is a bespoke SMG take.

not to be confused with "doctor strange deliberately used the thanos crisis as an excuse to murder tony stark" which i believe is a master shakeman take