Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I watched Oppenheimer. it was extremely Christopher Nolan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if i ever caught myself laugjing at bill maher I'd get an mri

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That’s actually why RFK Jr. found out about his brain worm.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

That’s actually why RFK Jr. found out about his brain worm.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Redezga posted:

Half the time people talked about the Fall Guy my eyes would just quickly scan whatever was being written and I thought people were talking about The Nice Guys which also starred Ryan Gosling. Now I know what it feels like to be one of those people that didn't buy a WiiU for the same reason.

I kept thinking it was a sequel to Free Guy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lol that the article questions if Gosling has the star power to headline a movie and not if the movie just has a stupid premise no one cares about

For a hit Gosling has to be a himbo, robot, weird guy, pick two

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watched this series called Action where they follow stunt people and show them planning and doing stunts for Fall Guy. apparently it's based on an 80s tv show starring lee majors? they also showed people doing fight stunt stuff for Violent Night, a movie where david harbor plays santa clause and he has to hand to hand fight some henchmen or something

anyway the Action series was ok, it's neat seeing how they plan fights and stunts and stuff but there's too much "wow being a stunt person is really hard, i have to be away from my family" for like 15 minutes per ep.

it didn't really make me want to watch Violent Night or Fall Guy but maybe i will. quandaries

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Colt Seavers (Lee Majors) is a Hollywood stunt man who moonlights as a bounty hunter. He uses his physical skills and knowledge of stunt effects (especially stunts involving cars or his large GMC pickup truck) to capture fugitives and criminals. He is accompanied by his cousin and stuntman-in-training, Howie Munson (Douglas Barr), and occasionally by fellow stuntwoman Jody Banks (Heather Thomas).

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

If you catch yourself laughing at something Bill Maher has said lately on HBO's "Real Time," his Friday night perch for the past 21 years, just be careful: next time, the joke could be on you. No one is spared Maher's humor, or as he sees it, truth-telling – not the right ("If you're gonna turn over your party to a foreign power, at least pick the right one. Russia? Are you kidding? It's like the Republicans looked over all the companies they could merge with and picked Sears!"), nor the left ("You call yourself the resistance? Then fight behind enemy lines. That's what a 'resistance' does. That's the difference between blowing up a tank and tweeting about it. Get out of your echo chamber and infiltrate theirs!").

Asked if you can make an audience laugh and think at the same time, Maher replied, "Totally, of course. The great thing about laughter is that it's involuntary, so if you laugh at something, something in you tells you that's true. It must be true; I laughed at it! Maybe I wasn't supposed to."

He said the throughline for everything he writes and says is, "Keep it real. Don't be tribal. Don't say something just because that's going to make the audience of one side applaud, or boo. Practical solutions as opposed to ideological. And don't pull a punch."

The 68-year-old Maher has been swinging at targets high and low his entire career, taking his own share of knocks along the way. But he still gladly courts controversy, as when he told the "Real Time" audience, "The right response to speech you don't like is more speech, not the lazy, cowardly response of 'canceling' people."

That attitude explains the title of his new book, "What This Comedian Said Will Shock You" (to be published May 21 by Simon & Schuster). It's compiled from years of Maher's commentaries on "Real Time."

"I wanted to see if the world had changed or I had changed more," he said. "I was excavating, reading over all these editorials from years and years and years, and I wanted to find that answer. I speak for the normies. You know, I speak from that, I think, vast middle that is tired of the partisanship. I don't want to hate half the country, and I don't hate half the country."

Costa said, "You write a lot throughout this book that the left irritates you, frustrates you at times, but the right often alarms you?"

"Yes, they're very alarming!" Maher replied. "They're extremely alarming. More alarming."

But if he finds the right more alarming than the left, why not shine the spotlight on them only? "The truth isn't one-sided like that," Maher said. "The Democrats constantly are running against Trump with the idea, You people out there couldn't possibly vote for this guy. And people are saying, Watch me. Hold my beer. Watch me to vote for him again. Instead of just saying, Oh, he's lied. Like, we know he's a liar. He's Donald Trump! He can't help himself. He's crazy. I mean, I think literally crazy. I think there's a kind of a level of malignant narcissism, which is not just a personality quirk, it's diagnosable, and he suffers from it."

Costa asked, "If you had him on 'Real Time,' what would you ask him?"

"Would you please go away?" Maher laughed.

He said that Trump has been invited to be on the show: "Of course, we've asked everybody, I mean, of that stature. He knows he has an open invitation to come on, but I don't think he really hates me, because the amount of times that he goes after me."

"He watches the show," said Costa.

"Accidentally! It's always accidentally," Maher said. "He watches it 'accidentally' every week. It's amazing!"

In fact, conservatives don't shy away from "Real Time." Trump's Attorney General William Barr was a guest last year. Maher said the reaction from liberal circles "was exactly what I hate about this country: How dare you? How dare you platform somebody?

"So, you're going to have to talk to people, and maybe you'll find out that they're not the monsters you think they are. I mean, do I apologize for Bill Barr's (I thought) horrible behavior when the Mueller Report came out and he basically lied about it? I don't. But look, this is what I call a good-as-it-gets Republican. He came out and said Trump lost the election. That's the main thing in the Republican Party right now: Do you believe elections count only if you win?

"As good as it gets" could well be Maher's motto for politics, and for life – not wishing for what could be, but recognizing what he sees is real (and taking you on if you're not).

quote:

But look, this is what I call a good-as-it-gets Republican.

Bill Barr covered up Iran contra and his dad was clearly a key figure in a transatlantic pedophile ring. what are you gonna do, just not platform him?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the milk machine posted:

i watched this series called Action where they follow stunt people and show them planning and doing stunts for Fall Guy. apparently it's based on an 80s tv show starring lee majors? they also showed people doing fight stunt stuff for Violent Night, a movie where david harbor plays santa clause and he has to hand to hand fight some henchmen or something

anyway the Action series was ok, it's neat seeing how they plan fights and stunts and stuff but there's too much "wow being a stunt person is really hard, i have to be away from my family" for like 15 minutes per ep.

it didn't really make me want to watch Violent Night or Fall Guy but maybe i will. quandaries

violent night was entertaining. worth a single watch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fall guy probably flopped because it's a remake of some 80s tv show that nobody remembers or cares about. Nice work - try adapting a TikTok next time you morons.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I don't know whats up with remakes. I watched Presumed Innocent last night and its a stinker and then right after finishing I saw there was a prestige TV adaptation with Jake Gyllenhall.

I just can't imagine what its like to be an executive, watch some 90s movie that is mediocre or worse and being like "I got an idea".

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

a remake of the literal charlie sheen vehicle the wraith but this time he turns into a cybertruck that terrorizes horny teenagers by just operating normally

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fighting Elegy posted:

I don't know whats up with remakes. I watched Presumed Innocent last night and its a stinker and then right after finishing I saw there was a prestige TV adaptation with Jake Gyllenhall.

I just can't imagine what its like to be an executive, watch some 90s movie that is mediocre or worse and being like "I got an idea".

remaking misses makes a lot more sense than hits to me. remake Conan, bad, stupid, can't replicate any of the magic on any level. remake Red Sonja? ok there's a decent kernel of an idea there and there's no bar to clear

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the fail guy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Lol that the article questions if Gosling has the star power to headline a movie and not if the movie just has a stupid premise no one cares about

For a hit Gosling has to be a himbo, robot, weird guy, pick two

Yeah, it's a bizarre question considering less than a year ago.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS:
Gul Sugar Ray say: "Oh
Every mornin' Oh Every mornin' when I wake up
Shut the door, baby, don't say a word"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i was reading the wiki article for it after checking out Unfrosted and I like how the company had ordered and tested a Spicy Cheeto mix before the guy ever worked for the company

the best part is that their main test market leading them to believe it was a viable product was in the upper midwest

not only does the story have to racistly assume that latinos only eat spicy food it also has to equally racistly assume that white people never eat spicy food neither of which were popular stereotypes at the time the food was actually being developed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

remaking misses makes a lot more sense than hits to me. remake Conan, bad, stupid, can't replicate any of the magic on any level. remake Red Sonja? ok there's a decent kernel of an idea there and there's no bar to clear

the thing is, remakes are decided on a risk-profit matrix. like when you're developing a matrix of old IPs vs new vs remake vs prequel vs sequels etc, there's an sort of Expected Value that comes out for decision-making. so with remakes, particularly you want ones that were successes because past performance dictates future performance :downs:. one of the other reasons to exist existing IP is because it already has a baseline level of cultural-osmosis in marketing already done for you: the groundwork is preset at a cost of $0.

you aren't going to remake a miss because they don't have that baseline level of marketing built into them, and past performance dictates that it will have poor future performance too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Redezga posted:

I felt really positively about The Emoji Movie when I watched it, but I was also reading a lot of Sherry Turkle books at the time so I was all on board with the idea of personifying computer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-m_7G31yh4

what i found really interesting here was as the guy explicitly notes the plot actually kind of sounds like the exact opposite of a conformist capitalist narrative given that the whole conflict is that the main character sucks at his job of being a specific kind of emoji yet it just goes to increasingly ridiculous lengths to argue that this is somehow not the fault of a society where everyones job is being a specific kind of emoji but just that their supervisor was kind of a dick

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Pakistan also has several for the different ethnicities that make up the country.

drat dude youll just jump at any excuse to snipe about how pakistan isnt a real country huh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sugar ray vibes are sitting bleeding from my hands and face, adderalled up, and being surrounded by trash and

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Soyllywood

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

netflix has been scooping up a lot of random shows lately i strongly suspect somebody over there finally crunched the numbers and realized they make way more money off of licensing stuff other people already made than they do on production

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

netflix has been scooping up a lot of random shows lately i strongly suspect somebody over there finally crunched the numbers and realized they make way more money off of licensing stuff other people already made than they do on production

It seems to have spontaneously reverted to its old business strategy, back before it just made mountains of identical trash.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwHSR7oW99o
Baby Reindeer season 2 trailer.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

We don’t have nearly enough movies valorizing c-suite executives. We need MORE

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I heard the word "replevin" earlier while studying for contracts, and now I can't stop saying to myself Ballistic: Ecks vs. Replevin.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

insane clown pussy posted:

a remake of the literal charlie sheen vehicle the wraith but this time he turns into a cybertruck that terrorizes horny teenagers by just operating normally

Charlie Sheen cracks me up. a literal aids pedophile

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Massive lore drop on tonight's Smiling Friends, revealing Ross Perot canonically won two terms to US President in 1992 and 1996. :siren:

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

same, op

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

We need a 300 part miniseries celebrating the network executive who forced the writers of the Flintstones to put the Great Gazoo into the show called "The Origin of Greatness" and we need it YESTERDAY

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

indigi posted:

The Conan remake was fairly decent actually; more accurate to the Howard stories and lots of fun fantasy action and inventive kills. It does run out of steam by the final act, but pretty good otherwise.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

tristeham posted:

the fail guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In a classic “Seinfeld” episode, George Costanza bemoans that every decision he’s made has been wrong. His life, as a result, has turned out the opposite of what he intended.

Joe Biden might relate. His presidency probably hasn’t gone as he’d hoped. Two wars, a border crisis and near-record inflation have erupted. A Gallup poll last week found that confidence in his economic stewardship is lower than for any president this century other than George W. Bush during the height of the 2008 financial crisis.

But like George Costanza, Mr. Biden has only himself to blame. Both men create more trouble for themselves, as each poor decision leads to another. George’s schemes to woo women—say, by enlisting Elaine to take an IQ test for him—boomerang. So do the president’s ploys to win voters. Mr. Biden, like George, now risks getting dumped.

Consider the chain of expedient acts that led to the president’s threat last week to withhold weapons from Israel to appease his party’s leftists. Mr. Biden worries he’ll lose re-election if young progressives don’t turn out in November—or if they cast ballots for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. or Jill Stein. It isn’t an unreasonable concern. Young’uns never fell in love with Mr. Biden, and they increasingly resent being forced by party elders into a political marriage of convenience.

Yet Mr. Biden’s bigger problem is that the pandemic handouts that Democrats hoped would win them votes have backfired. Excessive spending has fueled inflation and led to the highest interest rates in a generation. Young people have been especially harmed because those who don’t own homes now can’t afford them. Mr. Biden boasted a 33% approval rating among voters under 30 in an Economist/YouGov poll last week. Only 24% of them said the economy was excellent or good. A mere 13% thought it is improving and 15% believed it will get better if Mr. Biden is re-elected.

By comparison, 36% believed it would improve if Donald Trump won in November. Young voters aren’t fond of the former president; they simply find Mr. Biden as attractive as George Costanza.

Mr. Biden has tried to boost his support with young people by canceling student debt. It hasn’t worked. His repeat rounds of debt forgiveness have instead infuriated Americans who didn’t go to college, grads who repaid their loans, and parents who made sacrifices to pay tuition.

Mr. Biden’s climate policies have proved similarly ineffective at energizing young voters, while alienating working-class Americans and fueling higher energy prices. The president in January surrendered to a small army of TikTokers calling for a halt to new liquefied-natural-gas export projects, without thinking how it would play with U.S. allies or workers whose jobs depend on the natural-gas industry, especially in Pennsylvania. This includes workers who produce steel for pipelines, as well as members of building-trades unions.

Then Mr. Biden charged forward with a de facto electric-vehicle mandate that is deeply unpopular, especially in Michigan, heart of the auto industry. A January poll by the Glengariff Group found that 74% of likely Michigan voters and a nearly equal share of independents strongly opposed such mandates.

EVs require less labor but more financial capital to produce. U.S. automakers have laid off thousands of employees to finance the government-forced EV transition. Ford in March announced plans to slash its hourly workforce at the Dearborn, Mich., factory that builds the F-150 Lightning amid slackening demand for the vehicles. Michigan has lost about 7,000 manufacturing jobs in the last year, while mining, logging and construction employment in Pennsylvania has declined by 4,000. No wonder Mr. Trump is leading him in these swing states.

Mr. Biden has tried to compensate for these unforced errors with working-class voters by opposing Nippon Steel’s acquisition of Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel. While the United Steelworkers union cheered, the president’s intervention will discourage foreign investment that creates good-paying U.S. jobs. It’s also another snub to Japan, whose help the U.S. needs to contain a bellicose China.

Meantime, to counter higher energy prices caused partly by his anti-fossil-fuel policies, Mr. Biden has eased enforcement of oil sanctions on Iran and Russia. This has given America’s enemies more ammunition to attack Israel and Ukraine.

His flagging support among working-class voters, particularly in Michigan, has heightened the imperative to keep progressives under his collapsing tent. Hence, the embargo last week on U.S. weapons to Israel. This display of weakness will embolden America’s enemies and may result in more casualties.

Like George Costanza, Mr. Biden keeps digging his hole deeper the harder he works to get out of it. Perhaps he should take Jerry’s advice to George and do the opposite of what his instincts tell him.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
thats one good rear end article

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doctor Who fans have been left well and truly divided by the latest regeneration of the long-running sci-fi show.

Helmed by Russell T Davies and fronted by new Doctor Ncuti Gatwa and his sidekick Ruby (Millie Gibson), the latest series' style always promised to break away from its predecessors - none least thanks to a huge injection of funding from Disney.

The series is shipped in the US via streaming service Disney+ and its CGI and increase in production value were plain to see throughout the double-bill opener.

Fans were introduced to Gatwa's Doctor as well as a new crop of baddies, including the Bogeyman and controversial new villain Maestro (Jinkx Monsoon).

The Doctor's new adversary is played by American drag artist Monsoon, who has since gone viral following the show's return for correcting another character for using "him" pronouns incorrectly.

There were also cameos for Strictly Come Dancing favourites Shirley Ballas and Johannes Radebe as the second episode of the double-bill ended with a bizarre musical number.

There were some semblances of Doctor Who from yesteryear, however, with a mention of the classic character the Rani, as well as the Doctor's adopted home planet of Gallifrey.

But all in all, the overhaul of the sci-fi show to seemingly incorporate gender politics and change the look of the series has left plenty to be desired by many watching at home.

In fact, the overnight ratings for the BBC One premiere on Saturday night consisted of an underwhelming 2.6 million and 2.4 million per instalment of the doubleheader, according to TV Zone.

It is worth noting that these figures do not take into account streaming figures on iPlayer, on which the episodes were released prior to their broadcast on BBC One on Saturday evening.

Following the return of Doctor Who, social media was soon awash with reactions to the double bill, with many unimpressed with the show's new look.

One X user slammed the new series and its new look: "After the cast and crew told the old #DoctorWho fans to stop watching in favour of the 'modern audience', the current season's 2-episode premiere received the lowest overnight ratings in the show's HISTORY!!! #RIPDoctorWho."

A second took aim at the new villain: "The Maestro was probably one of the worst things I've ever seen. No exaggeration. #RIPDoctorWho."

Meanwhile a third fumed: "#RIPDoctorWho Wow. Well Dr Who is totally unwatchable now. Maybe have a Dr Who series again instead of a platform for gender politics and radical left wing ideology? Go woke go broke."

And a fourth weighed in: "The last couple seasons of #DoctorWho were mediocre at best as it begun it's slide into an #LGBTQ agenda. I noticed there was a new run so I started to watch it only to find it landed, hard in the lgbtq / trans agenda. #RIPDoctorWho."

"Can confirm, the show is trash now. #RIPDoctorWho," another added before a sixth commented: "It's pretty bad when we can look back at Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall & say it's not as bad as what Disney & RTD have done to Doctor Who. #RIPDoctorWho."

However, there was still some support for Gatwa's debut in the role, including one fan who argued against the backlash: "Absolutely LOVED Ncuti’s first two episodes (Devil’s Chord more). You can throw as much negativity as you like at us for this, but it won’t change our mind that we LOVE #DoctorWho in its current form! Thankful for RTD, the cast & crew, and for all that’s yet to come!"

A second also praised: "Just watched #DoctorWho and while Space Babies was just fine I absolutely LOVED The Devil’s Chord - a ridiculously fabulous camp romp with one of the greatest ever performances from Jinkx Monsoon."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it's Georgever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't follow doctor who but am I to conclude from this that they're making an effort to appeal to the superwholock Tumblr crowd from ten years ago and it's not working