Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

I've been away from the thread for a spell, what's the new hotness?

Not sure how long but here's what comes to mind from the past few years

Root
Spirit Island
Blue Lagoon
Res Arcana
Scape Goat
King is Dead 2E
Beyond the Sun*
Cosmic Frog
Marvel Champions
Pax Pamir 2E
Oath
Babylonia*
Yellow & Yangtze
The Quest for El Dorado
Undaunted: Normany/North Africa*
It's a Wonderful World*
Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion
Watergate
Blue Lagoon
Wavelength
The Crew
Blitzkrieg!
Barrage*

*haven't played but gotten pretty universal praise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thirteen Orphans posted:

What are some strategies for learning a new game that no one you know has played? At first I thought YouTube teaching would be good but when I go to actually play a few rounds against myself to test it out, I find I haven’t actually been taught how to play but rather have been shown how the game looks played, if that makes sense.

I'd argue for YouTube tutorials and their usefulness for showing how a game works. The good ones also explain why certain things happen. You have to look around for those.

Playing a "warmup game," so everyone can get a feel. Then a competitive round right after. A game is also as good as its rulebook.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Personally I find the process of trying things and seeing what levers move what and how much to be a very enjoyable learning experience.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thirteen Orphans posted:

What are some strategies for learning a new game that no one you know has played? At first I thought YouTube teaching would be good but when I go to actually play a few rounds against myself to test it out, I find I haven’t actually been taught how to play but rather have been shown how the game looks played, if that makes sense.

App versions can help a lot. The best have proper tutorials (like TTA) while others just walk you through the basic concepts. Even that helps a lot and you can get playing without having to double-check every rule.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Some Numbers posted:

FFG just announced a remake of battlestar galactica with Cthulhu theme: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/10/traitors-and-terror/

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Some Numbers posted:

Oath

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looks like Brass Birmingham is getting a digital edition.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1287920/Brass_Birmingham/

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I picked up Fugitive on a lark and it ended up being one of my favorite 2-player games to play with my wife. The MANHUNT mechanic that ends the game where you have to guess all of the remaining hidden locations is nerve-racking but man is it satisfying to hit them all.

You also haven't mentioned the best part about Fugitive in that it comes in a spy briefcase!

:swoon:

Thank you for posting Tom Vasel being irked. That dude just weirds me the gently caress out.
I can't believe his brand is still Hat + Suspenders + Tie + Neckbeard.

Some Numbers posted:

I believe a lot of Goons have been getting their copies of Oath, and have nothing but nice things to say.

Unfathomable, as mentioned, has also just been announced and is looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pc6sMb1ZAU

Fantasy Flight just announced a now Core Set for Arkham Horror which supports 1-4 players straight off the bat.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/24/revision-to-horror/

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Some Numbers posted:

Gale Force Nine did a reprint of the 1979 Avalon Hill "Dune" game, plus an expansion!

I'm off to play it now!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

!Klams posted:

Gale Force Nine did a reprint of the 1979 Avalon Hill "Dune" game, plus an expansion!

I'm off to play it now!

They just announced a new reworked version of it too.

https://twitter.com/galeforcenine/status/1408485278000500742?s=21

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a movie reskin, but we are gonna use their logo to get that sweet sweet movie tie-in money

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ You know what they mean. They're saying that they didn't just slap the logo on it for the tie-in money.

million dollar mack posted:

My particular bit of scorn is for the game end trigger - game ends when it is the turn of the player with the most VP (who has more than 8).

To me this just resulted in a perpetual cycle of grabbing the lead , then watching it get eroded as everyone stops you from winning. Then it comes back to your turn and you have to stop someone else winning.

It just means that really the only decisive moment is at the end of the game - everything until then is just prep for the final rounds, and if you make a tile selection mistake early you are done for. Perhaps that’s how the game always was but I felt like 1.0 rewarded aggressive early and midgame play.

Are you sure that's the whole rule? Kemet: Ta-Seti changed the end game trigger to "If a player has 8 VP at the start of their turn", but there are two separate conditions: if that player has more VP than anyone else he wins immediately, but if he doesn't then the game ends at the end of the current Day phase.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

That is loving weird.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

^^^ You know what they mean. They're saying that they didn't just slap the logo on it for the tie-in money.

Oh yeah, I was 100% being an rear end

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

From the comments somebody claims to have done some playtesting and it's a cut down 1hr version of Dune

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That could be great or the worst thing. Absolutely no middle ground.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like Santa Monica, it’s a card placement game with a beautiful theme, and it plays in 30 to 40 super easy.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I can't believe his brand is still Hat + Suspenders + Tie + Neckbeard.

Lol. I clicked on the link, and turned it off wondering "why post this 15 year old video now?". He really nails the 2007 chubby nerd aesthetic.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mojo Jojo posted:

From the comments somebody claims to have done some playtesting and it's a cut down 1hr version of Dune

1 hour dune sounds good, though hopefully setup is not like 30 mins.

That's my biggest problem with The Magnificent, fun game but setup time is like 30% of playtime.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Aramoro posted:

1 hour dune sounds good, though hopefully setup is not like 30 mins.

That's my biggest problem with The Magnificent, fun game but setup time is like 30% of playtime.

Cerebria is bad for this. Setup takes ages and so does the rules explanation - then the game is like an hour. I wish I'd managed to play it enough with a group so that we all knew what we were doing and could just jump in every time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I'm just gonna pump the brakes a little and point out that the designer himself said it's a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it game, so research before blindly purchasing it.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm just gonna pump the brakes a little and point out that the designer himself said it's a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it game, so research before blindly purchasing it.

I have seen the "love it or hate it" and "not for everybody" line in every review of Oath, but have never read a review where the reviewer didn't actually like the game overall.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I have seen the "love it or hate it" and "not for everybody" line in every review of Oath, but have never read a review where the reviewer didn't actually like the game overall.

I know I saw a couple video reviews on YouTube that basically called it a well-crafted "meh", but damned if I can recall any of their names.

Edit: Not to say people shouldn't buy Oath, just don't read three quick recommendations and smash "buy" without research.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 26, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Not sure how long but here's what comes to mind from the past few years
Less than a year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Space Biff's review of Oath is a good look at it holistically covering the good and bad and the best I've seen so far.

https://spacebiff.com/2021/05/25/oath-2/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Many of the Game Brain podcast crew either didn't like it or were meh. I can't wait to play it myself.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! So, I watched an interview with the designers, and they kept mentioning that you can play it 2 player, to the degree that I got the vibe that it's meant as a 2 player version of Dune that you can probably squash some more people into, in the same way that current Dune is a 6 player game that you can kinda fudge with fewer. I'm 99% sure I'm gonna buy this because I'm a big Dune idiot, but I'll at least wait until it's had some reviews.

In related news, won my first game with the Bene Gesserit today! Woo hoo!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

40 years of development means you aren't very good at development

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

My partner and I spent five hours playing Terraforming Mars today. We first played it with a group of friends pre-pandemic. Most of the time was relearning the rules. It was still fun regardless.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

!Klams posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! So, I watched an interview with the designers, and they kept mentioning that you can play it 2 player, to the degree that I got the vibe that it's meant as a 2 player version of Dune that you can probably squash some more people into, in the same way that current Dune is a 6 player game that you can kinda fudge with fewer. I'm 99% sure I'm gonna buy this because I'm a big Dune idiot, but I'll at least wait until it's had some reviews.

In related news, won my first game with the Bene Gesserit today! Woo hoo!

What did you predict?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

PerniciousKnid posted:

That’s fair but it’s still a hot and trendy game

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Many of the Game Brain podcast crew either didn't like it or were meh. I can't wait to play it myself.

...I seriously don't get how they can love creating a super-meta around Avalon and not love Oath.

That's mind-boggling.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

...I seriously don't get how they can love creating a super-meta around Avalon and not love Oath.

That's mind-boggling.

Might not be the same people, and in fact now that you mention it, I don't know that the non fans are fans of Avalon either :).

I have no interest in Avalon but I loved Republic of Rome and any game that is even somewhat like that I am way interested in.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Going to play Feast for Odin with Norwegians for the first time. Watched a rules video and 2 hour playthrough so I think I have most of the rules down. A questions:

1. What information is hidden? I know weapon cards are not. Are professions?

2. Is it correct that you take board bonuses every turn? So if you surround something on the very first turn, you will get that resource every turn for the rest of the game?

3. What's the deal with the one mountain piece that's way longer than the others? I know you are supposed to grab the pieces at random, but that one is gonna stick out

4. Any advice on how to choose which islands to use? I have Norwegians and the mini-expansions. Do you just throw them all out every game or should it be N+X amount per player?

Any common mistakes new players make with the rules?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 27, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megasabin posted:

Going to play Feast for Odin with Norwegians for the first time. Watched a rules video and 2 hour playthrough so I think I have most of the rules down. A questions:

2. Is it correct that you take board bonuses every turn? So if you surround something on the very first turn, you will get that resource every turn for the rest of the game?

3. What's the deal with the one mountain piece that's way longer than the others? I know you are supposed to grab the pieces at random, but that one is gonna stick out

4. Any advice on how to choose which islands to use? I have Norwegians and the mini-expansions. Do you just throw them all out every game or should it be N+X amount per player?

1. Professions are the only thing I can think of that's hidden.

2. Yes. Look at the turn order card.

3. It sticks out yeah. That's about all there is to it.

4. We play with all of them every game but some people choose randomly one each of A-D.

e. the most common mistake I've seen is misunderstanding how the "cover the silver track" rule works. I've seen people think that all tile laying on the boards has to go bottom left to top right - that's only for covering the silver track. Other than that, take a look at the symbols that the boards have for tile laying rules. Home boards/Islands and houses have different rules for what tiles can go on there. Stare at that icon on each board until you understand how to read it so that you don't get the laying permissions wrong.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 27, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of, Quest the Big Box/Deluxe KS version of Avalon is starting to ship out.

Artwork is SUPER stylish

Artist is Weberson Santiago - https://www.instagram.com/weberson83/

Megasabin posted:

Occupations are kept hidden until played. Their powers do not activate until played.

quote:

Correct. You gain them during the 'Bonuses' phase at the end of the current ROUND.

quote:

This was a misprint/fuckup or something when they made Norwegians. The official ruling is that piece is the last mountain tile to be drawn. So add it to the bottom of the pile.

quote:

Put them all out. Or at least that is how I have always played it. You'll end up with 10 islands total if you have the mini-expansion tiles.

quote:

You can add and subtract stuff to your board as the current round plays out. It helps speed up play. Once the round ends those pieces are then locked in place and you can't move them.
It helps with working stuff out in your head.

Some boards, houses, have different placement rules. Check the respective boards for their placement guides.

You can buy ships ANY TIME with money. Don't need to place a worker their if you can afford it.

:siren: Placement rules for Income and Bonuses are SEPARATE* :siren:
- You MUST follow placement rules to gain Income (Bonus tiles are considered 'covered' with regards to tile placement)
- You can surround Bonus tiles AT ANY TIME. They do NOT have to be connected to the 'income' tiles to gain them.

For example - See the Ore on the Player board? You don't need to 'build' up to to reach it from the bottom. Just surround it and you get the bonus round 1.
This is how it works for islands as well. Which is why Islands can be so powerful early on.

*Someone pull me up on this one, but I'm like 90% sure that's how it operates. It's just badly explained in the books

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just so it's clear

Surrounding the Ore like this is valid placement to gain the Bonus at the end of the round. It does NOT need to connect to the tiles you use for Income.

However you then need to build around those tiles later to gain access to increased income

And an example of how it works on an Island. Congrats you now get Whale Meat and Fish every round.

(Be sure to cover diagonals, as they count as 'next' to the tile. You must completely surround bonus tiles to gain them)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CommonShore posted:

4. We play with all of them every game but some people choose randomly one each of A-D.

e. the most common mistake I've seen is misunderstanding how the "cover the silver track" rule works. I've seen people think that all tile laying on the boards has to go bottom left to top right - that's only for covering the silver track. Other than that, take a look at the symbols that the boards have for tile laying rules. Home boards/Islands and houses have different rules for what tiles can go on there. Stare at that icon on each board until you understand how to read it so that you don't get the laying permissions wrong.

For islands, if you're playing with two player you only use one each of the islands A-D. With three or four players you can choose to add either two new islands, from the pools A/B and C/D, or all four. If you have either or both of the two Island mini-expansions you can include those in the pools or just add them.

For covering the silver track on islands, remember that everything both left of and below must be covered including any islands that aren't part of the mainland. This goes double for the islands that have a second silver track.

For indoor and outdoor storage: the rule is reasonably intuitive. Outdoors can hold green and blue tiles; indoors can hold food and non-food tiles; and in both cases only the latter tiles can touch one another. Lastly, you can only store ore outside.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lastly

Print one of these out so new players can see how items upgrade clearly.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177476/goods-upgrade-hierarchy

Print out a couple of copies of these in colour, they help dramatically for the initial games where people don't know what tiles do what.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/181945/ffo-and-norwegians-gameplay-and-action-board-summa

Great. Now I want to play Odin.. :livintrope:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Going to play Feast for Odin with Norwegians for the first time.

It's probably rude to ask them how they feel about their princess being a necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Probably the most common rules mistakes are how people place the green tiles on the main and island boards and how people place the food for the feast. Just keep an eye out for other people doing it correctly. It's easy to fix a mistake early than later.