Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do any of you used gear sellers/buyers use anything like a Bill of Sale for private transactions? I did a Google search and there's a ton of motor vehicle forms and stuff like that but nothing for gear or guitars that I can find for free. I'm not saying it's necessary, but if any of you guys have something you like that you're willing to share I'm interested.

That makes sense for vehicles where you have to register ownership with the state, I can't imagine why you'd need it for something like musical gear (unless you're a commercial seller and you need it for tax purposes, in which case you're already generating an invoice/sales receipt).

If I buy a guitar from somebody, there's already a paper trail that I paypal'd them (or whatever) some money, and a tracking number from UPS that says they sent me the item, I can't imagine what else I'd realistically need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Having all the (signed and dated) bills of sale for something like an original 1955 gold top Gibson Les Paul from all the previous owners may help verify the authenticity and improve the value of the guitar. It never hurts to write up a bill of sale for something > $2500, especially if you're going to write it off on your taxes later. But the US is a free country and you don't have to worry about that sort of thing :)

Heck, here in Texas (and most other states, I think, don't quote me though) you can sell firearms (AK-47, AR-15 etc) for cash without a federal background checks, bill of sale, etc as long as it's a transaction between two private individuals. If you don't need a bill of sale with assault rifles between private parties, I don't see why you'd need to with a guitar.

On the flip side if you have an ebay shop some states might classify you as a business, and then it gets murky.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
To contribute to the thread's purpose, I bought an Electro-Harmonix Worm and a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone today.

The Worm will serve as a fixed wah pedal for leads, and the Philosopher's tone will be an "always on" pedal, much like my MXR/CAE Boost. It's supposed to be a super transparent compressor (due to the blend knob) with ridiculous amounts of sustain, so hopefully I'll be able to increase my sustain without having too much audible compression.

As for plans, I'm going to buy an Avatar Contemporary 4x12 cab next friday (fingers crossed), and the Worm completes my pedalboard plans (for now), so I'm probably going to be having one built sometime next month.

:buddy:

EDIT: I'll post pictures when I get home from work and have access to WaffleImages.

EDIT2: Pictures

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 19, 2010

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Didn't you just build a pedalboard?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the wizards beard posted:

Didn't you just build a pedalboard?

If you're talking about this one, that was back in October, when I had a LOT more effects. Now I'm down to something like 7 or 8 that I want to stick with (I'm trying to make the move to rack gear), I want to get a really nice pedalboard professionally built. I'm probably going to be going with Pumaboards, because :drat: they're nice.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Man, so many gorgeous Gretsches are popping up on TGP. I need to get this Les Paul sold so I can get in on that. :(

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

Man, so many gorgeous Gretsches are popping up on TGP. I need to get this Les Paul sold so I can get in on that. :(

If I know anything about TGP, it's that they love Les Pauls. Try offering a trade?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

If I know anything about TGP, it's that they love Les Pauls. Try offering a trade?
I did, but all I got were solid bodies and Jets. I'm really itchin' for a hollow Gretsch, ya know?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Nothing too fancy. But, it was pretty cheap ($400) and plenty loud for small shows.
Ampeg B2-RE head.

The plan is: J-bass->SansAmp bass driver->B2RE head->SVT-410HLF cab
I have all of it save for the cab, which I'm going to try to find used and locally. Lots of used gear options in NYC, luckily!

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
My Hamer Standard finally arrived, and I can't believe I waited this long to get an Exlorer style guitar. After a few hours of rawking, it's easily the most comfortable shape I've played standing up. And it sounds and plays incredibley wicked awesome!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This thing is so ridiculous.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?

wilkenm posted:

My Hamer Standard finally arrived, and I can't believe I waited this long to get an Exlorer style guitar. After a few hours of rawking, it's easily the most comfortable shape I've played standing up. And it sounds and plays incredibley wicked awesome!

dude please get fryette nameplates.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

getfuct posted:

dude please get fryette nameplates.

Never! VHT nameplates provide 7.3% more tone than their Fryette counterparts.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

betterinsodapop posted:

Nothing too fancy. But, it was pretty cheap ($400) and plenty loud for small shows.
Ampeg B2-RE head.

I have all of it save for the cab, which I'm going to try to find used and locally. Lots of used gear options in NYC, luckily!
I have that exact set up. The Sansamp is the poo poo

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

wilkenm posted:

Never! VHT nameplates provide 7.3% more tone than their Fryette counterparts.

Yes, but are they real VHT nameplates, or are they Sears VHT nameplates?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

betterinsodapop posted:

Ampeg B2-RE head.

You know what I don't get? Most bass amps come with a 7 band EQ as standard, yet guitar amps use the regular old 3 band. It's woefully inadequate. You always see metal head types cranking the poo poo out of the bass which just makes everything a muddy mess, yet they could get the low end growl they're after by boosting at around 250hz.

Just kinda thinking out loud here.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

So I've been saving up for a bit to get one of these bad boys:

But cruising around Craigslist led me to this for about half the price:

Anyone hear anything about these Bugeras? They're both 22W, which should be pretty much perfect for me, but I'm not sure which one is more worthy of my hard-earned cash.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Ireneo Funes posted:

Anyone hear anything about these Bugeras? They're both 22W, which should be pretty much perfect for me, but I'm not sure which one is more worthy of my hard-earned cash.

Ugh, it's a long story.

When Bugera first came out, they only made Peavey clones, and no one was really sure who the hell they were. People who claimed to have identical experiences with the brand said things ranging from "They belong to Behringer" to "They're only distributed by Behringer" to "They have nothing to do with Behringer." On top of that, the first run or so of amps had really shoddy build quality, and it lead to their inevitable failures as products. This gave Bugera a pretty bad rep amongst a lot of people, and diminished their demographic to basically teen metalheads who couldn't convince their parents to buy a used 5150/6505.

Flash forward to 2010, Bugera releases the thing you're posting about, the V22, and it gets astonishing reviews from some, skepticism from others. A lot of people don't like that they're clones of popular amps (they just released a matchless clone this year). Even more don't trust the build quality because word-of-mouth is deadly like that. Others don't listen to any of that and buy these amps anyway, and report back positively.

I think you should give it a shot. See if you can try one out locally, and if you like the way it sounds, ask the shop if they would let you open it up because of the previous quality concerns. If they let you, and there's nothing obviously disastrous about the build quality, go hog wild.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The problems with the older Bugeras were due to connectors used to cable different pcbs together, they were being used outside the manufacturers recommended spec. There's no way you could spot that by eye.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The Fender amp is definitely a better investment (whether or not you ever plan to resell it, it will still be a classic amp you are likely to be happy with 20 or 30 years from now -- and if you DO decide to resell, Fender amps hold their value very well).

I've read some glowing reviews of Bugeras but many of them gush about how good it sounds "for the price", take that for what you will.

After many years of trying to do otherwise, I've definitely adopted a policy of buying the best gear I can afford (within reason) and I've yet to be disappointed by going that route.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Wow, thanks guys. My current attitude is pretty much in line with yours, h_double. I know I'll be satisfied with a classic product with a classic tone like the Fender. I think I'm just getting a little stir crazy while waiting to buy it.

On the other hand, I think I'm going to give the Craigslist-Bugera guy a ring and see if he won't mind me testing out, if only just to satisfy my curiosity.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Ugh, it's a long story.

When Bugera first came out, they only made Peavey clones, and no one was really sure who the hell they were. People who claimed to have identical experiences with the brand said things ranging from "They belong to Behringer" to "They're only distributed by Behringer" to "They have nothing to do with Behringer." On top of that, the first run or so of amps had really shoddy build quality, and it lead to their inevitable failures as products. This gave Bugera a pretty bad rep amongst a lot of people, and diminished their demographic to basically teen metalheads who couldn't convince their parents to buy a used 5150/6505.

Flash forward to 2010, Bugera releases the thing you're posting about, the V22, and it gets astonishing reviews from some, skepticism from others. A lot of people don't like that they're clones of popular amps (they just released a matchless clone this year). Even more don't trust the build quality because word-of-mouth is deadly like that. Others don't listen to any of that and buy these amps anyway, and report back positively.

I think you should give it a shot. See if you can try one out locally, and if you like the way it sounds, ask the shop if they would let you open it up because of the previous quality concerns. If they let you, and there's nothing obviously disastrous about the build quality, go hog wild.

FYI Bugera IS a Behringer product, made in the same factories. Do not listen to anyone who says otherwise - they are misinformed or lying.

Behringer makes some really good stuff, and some really poor stuff. Overall I've had extremely positive experience with their gear across the board and I wouldn't be afraid of checking out their tube amps at all. The bad stuff that blows up I just don't reorder.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Repro pickguard for my Harmony Rocket III

Repro switch plate for my other Rocket III

I also bought a set of fake Klusons and an "original" bridge for the other Rocket, but I need to drill out the tuner holes to fit the bushings and the string spacing is way too wide on the bridge. Definitely a Harmony part, but probably from an acoustic archtop. So I still need a bridge, wiring, pickup mounting blocks, knobs, and a few miscellaneous pieces of hardware to finish that one.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Gramps posted:

FYI Bugera IS a Behringer product, made in the same factories. Do not listen to anyone who says otherwise - they are misinformed or lying.

Behringer makes some really good stuff, and some really poor stuff. Overall I've had extremely positive experience with their gear across the board and I wouldn't be afraid of checking out their tube amps at all. The bad stuff that blows up I just don't reorder.

Just don't buy mixers made by them, their mic preamps are total poo poo.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

cat doter posted:

Just don't buy mixers made by them, their mic preamps are total poo poo.

Again- they can be hit or miss. I did a majillion gigs with a 24 channel Behringer board and it was always great. Never had any problems with it and the pres were pretty clean and quiet. Their little Mackie knockoffs kinda sound crappy but what do you expect for 60 bucks?

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Just picked this little guy up at my local shop, for $60:

Initially got it to use with the short-scale Gretsch bass I got for my birthday recently

But it also plays very nicely with my CV Tele, which I got a few months ago and is surprisingly awesome. So awesome that I'm thinking of selling some gear to get one or two of the other CV's. They really stepped up with the CV line.

Squier proud!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Classic Vibe line owns, I just picked up a CV 60's P Bass the other day and it plays really really nicely and sounded great plugged in at the store. It looks great too, I'll post pics eventually

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

widefault posted:

Repro pickguard for my Harmony Rocket III

Repro switch plate for my other Rocket III

drat. I'm gonna need full body shots of this thing, please.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Demon Seed posted:

I have that exact set up. The Sansamp is the poo poo

:) Great minds think alike! The head should come in tomorrow. Super stoked!
Seriously, the SansAmp is the single best piece of gear I've ever bought for my bass. I love it to death.
Marcus Miller artist series bass? NICE.

gahpg
Feb 5, 2010

eatttt meeeeee
Picked this up off of CL last thurs.

2002 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 4H W/ Piezo. The color is called blue dawn it is a rare color. It sounds AWESOME and I got a pretty drat good deal on it too. I am happy.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Classic Vibe line owns, I just picked up a CV 60's P Bass the other day and it plays really really nicely and sounded great plugged in at the store. It looks great too, I'll post pics eventually
I've been really impressed with all the CVs I've tried except one of the Duo Sonics. Overall, very consistently good.

Meeting with a guy from Craigslist tomorrow about this little number:

It's a pre-Fender (1989) reissue of the 1958 Jet Firebird. There isn't really a modern analogue to this one since all the current Jet Firebirds have chrome hardware and Bigsbys. I think it's pretty drat sweet; hope it plays well!

darknation
Jan 5, 2008
do you have any ketamine?
My latest purchase

Great little unit with a solid feel. All sliders and knobs have a sturdy weighted feel more reminiscent to an old hardware synthesizer than a brand new USB controller.

The only thing letting the unit down is Novation's Automap software which needs to be used in conjunction with the controller at all times. While the idea behind the software interface sounded great, its actually implemented in a very confusing way. I've spend more time trying to wrap my head around its quirky midi assigning methods than actually using it.

Apart from that I love it to bits and It will pair up with my Launchpad perfectly. Definitely recommend it.

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

Korg Kontrol 49. I went to Sam Ash thinking I would leave with an M-Audio Axiom 25 or an Akai MPK25 at best. This was sitting on the closeout table.

Thus ends my final excuse to not make music. Here goes nothing.

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!

PMan_ posted:

But it also plays very nicely with my CV Tele, which I got a few months ago and is surprisingly awesome. So awesome that I'm thinking of selling some gear to get one or two of the other CV's. They really stepped up with the CV line.

Squier proud!

The only CV I have had experience with was the Duo Sonic that a good friend of mine bought. the only reason was the finish on the neck, it was too glossy, and I didn't like the way the finish on the back side of the neck felt almost sticky (like it was hard to slide up and down it without making your hand feel like it was sticking to the back of the neck.). Are all CV necks that like that?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

A lot of glossy necks are like that when they're new, but that goes away pretty quickly after playing it for a while.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

My first hollowbody guitar. Ibanez AG86, pretty decent and fun. gonna do a setup and a string change, eventually replace the P'ups.

Im excited about it, and it looks beautiful. and my fiance' encouraged the purchase = buy it before she changes her mind :banjo:

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002

HundredxNails posted:

The only CV I have had experience with was the Duo Sonic that a good friend of mine bought. the only reason was the finish on the neck, it was too glossy, and I didn't like the way the finish on the back side of the neck felt almost sticky (like it was hard to slide up and down it without making your hand feel like it was sticking to the back of the neck.). Are all CV necks that like that?

The neck on this Tele never felt sticky, in fact it is pretty smooth. Perhaps it is just "factory gunk" that comes off after a while, like Doomy said.

Gil Gunderson
Sep 23, 2007

Be careful now, Jim. This one's got a gun.
Just spent over $4000.00 this month. Goddamn I need to stop buying gear.

Anyway!

Home-made pedal board. Just the ones I use for shows/tour/etc.

Orange Rockerverb 100 with matching 412 cab. Pure loving bliss.

Gil Gunderson fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 23, 2010

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HundredxNails posted:

My CV P-Bass has a super smooth neck that's way easy to slide up and down on, and the Duo Sonic I tried in the store felt the same way. Maybe your friend's was a fluke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

Can't stop buying stuff lately. I'm gonna have to sell some stuff now but this was really cool and I couldn't pass it up.

It's a custom guitar this guy made based off a Mustang template. Can't stop lookin' at it.