Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Often those cheaper places will give them a long-lasting analgesic injection, which lasts for 24-48 hours of pain relief. Also a lot of vets prefer to under-prescribe painkillers so that the animal is still in discomfort so they don't go running around and bursting sutures.

I have given unused meds to different dogs but only under my vet's advice, and they were the same species. You should probably call the vet and ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
I talked to the emergency vet and they said that they draw the medicine from the same bottle for both cats and dogs. I broke down and gave it to him... he was whimpering and trembling for about 15 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore, the poor thing. I will probably never foster through this rescue again, or at least not take in an animal that wasn't already fixed. :(

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Veruca Salt posted:

I talked to the emergency vet and they said that they draw the medicine from the same bottle for both cats and dogs. I broke down and gave it to him... he was whimpering and trembling for about 15 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore, the poor thing. I will probably never foster through this rescue again, or at least not take in an animal that wasn't already fixed. :(

Yeah, buprenorphine works fine in dogs and you won't be overdosing him on a cat-sized dose. I've seen buprenorphine prescribed for little 2-pound chihuahuas who are too small for even 1/4 tablet of Tramadol. Buprenex is used more commonly in cats than in dogs because a) most dogs are big enough to require inconveniently large (and expensive) doses and b) you can give most dogs pain medication in pill form (like Tramadol) without much difficulty.
I hope both your foster and your cat are feeling better - must be one lucky kitty to survive a dog attack!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Larva posted:

Yeah, buprenorphine works fine in dogs and you won't be overdosing him on a cat-sized dose. I've seen buprenorphine prescribed for little 2-pound chihuahuas who are too small for even 1/4 tablet of Tramadol. Buprenex is used more commonly in cats than in dogs because a) most dogs are big enough to require inconveniently large (and expensive) doses and b) you can give most dogs pain medication in pill form (like Tramadol) without much difficulty.
I hope both your foster and your cat are feeling better - must be one lucky kitty to survive a dog attack!

Oliver slept wonderfully last night, but it was me that was waking up every hour or so, terrified that I'd killed him somehow! But he made it through the night just fine.

And yeah, Cricket was very lucky to survive the Rottweiler attack-- he was extremely sore (hence the Buprenex) but other than being absolutely COVERED in thick goopy slobber he was fine. He did get the Rottweiler pretty good though, he had black fur under all of his nails. ;)

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
My dog won't stop scratching and biting on himself, he's missing large patches of hair and has tons of open sores all over his body from it and I'm fairly certain it has something to do with fleas...we wash him regularly but it doesn't do much good. Any other solutions?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Henron posted:

My dog won't stop scratching and biting on himself, he's missing large patches of hair and has tons of open sores all over his body from it and I'm fairly certain it has something to do with fleas...we wash him regularly but it doesn't do much good. Any other solutions?

Er, is he on flea medication? Have you seen a vet? Have you combed him to check for flea infestation?

Take him to a vet right away, then check the flea treatment megathread.

Flea baths aren't helping him any. They just get rid of the ones that are already on him, not the ones that are gonna be hopping on him the moment he steps out of the bath. They also might make him itchier and drier because they tend to have really strong ingredients.

He may also have a flea allergy. Either way he needs to see the vet asap, he's probably unbelievably uncomfortable and those sores could get infected very quickly.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Henron posted:

Uh yeah, get your dog to the vet yesterday, and use this thread to clean your house.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418882

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Hey thanks for the tips, I didn't know that thread existed but it's been a huge help. I'll be checking out that Sentinel stuff and hopefully it'll stop him from tearing himself to pieces :(

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
If you really have a flea problem Sentinel won't be enough. It makes the fleas lay sterile eggs, but it does not kill adults or stop them from biting. Each bite makes the itching worse. At the very least you should be using one of the topical products (Advantage or Frontline), if not one of the oral ones (Comfortis monthly or Capstar at least every other day).

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I have just learned that Nature's Miracle does not remove urine stains as shown by a black light. Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid my apartment is going to charge me $1000 for a new carpet because of one little spot that isn't visible in natural light and doesn't smell and is otherwise unnoticable. :smith:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

drat Bananas posted:

I have just learned that Nature's Miracle does not remove urine stains as shown by a black light. Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid my apartment is going to charge me $1000 for a new carpet because of one little spot that isn't visible in natural light and doesn't smell and is otherwise unnoticable. :smith:

Most apartment complexes won't bother blacklighting unless there's an obvious smell. I know we didn't when I worked for a big complex. If it doesn't smell or look funny, you haven't done any damage anyway. There are many things that glow under blacklight, not all are urine. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
The office manager told me she won't tell us if the carpet needs replaced in our final walk-through, and that she gets her "carpet guy" to determine that a little later. That makes me think he has a black light because I dunno what else he'd do. I reeeeeally really hope you're right though!

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!
Hey, so you know how when you meet cats and you want them to be comfortable with you, you close your eyes at them? Is there an equivalent of that with dogs? How do you show dogs you're friendly and not a threat upon meeting?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Slowly blink, turn your head away and fake-yawn. If the dog is super uncomfortable, make sure not to give eye contact, don't walk toward the dog, slow and 'quiet' hand gestures, etc.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Hey, so you know how when you meet cats and you want them to be comfortable with you, you close your eyes at them? Is there an equivalent of that with dogs? How do you show dogs you're friendly and not a threat upon meeting?

Normally it's best to approach sideways, not head-on. Don't look the dog in the eyes. Get low. Offer your hand forward and let the dog close the gap if he feels like it. If he does, pat below the chin, on the chest or shoulders - not above the head. Keep your eye out for any freezing or lip licking, and stop if you see it. Feel free to try to reengage, but don't force anything.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

a life less posted:

Normally it's best to approach sideways, not head-on. Don't look the dog in the eyes. Get low. Offer your hand forward and let the dog close the gap if he feels like it. If he does, pat below the chin, on the chest or shoulders - not above the head. Keep your eye out for any freezing or lip licking, and stop if you see it. Feel free to try to reengage, but don't force anything.

From what I've seen around here and at the local petsmart, the best way to approach a dog is to run directly at it, squealing 'oh my god what a cute DOOOGGGG!' in as high-pitch a voice as you can, right before roughly running your hands over it's face and head.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My mom passed away this morning and my dad has agreed that I can have our (mostly her) dog. He is a 12 lb bichon frise. We got him when I was in high school and he is now 11 years old, so I know how to care for a bichon and all that, but the real challenge is that I live out of state and the drive is 10 hours.

He hates being in the car, oh god. I will probably drive up to get him in April because I'd have to pack all the pet stuff in my car too, there's no way I could fly him back.

Any tips to make a dog road trip more comfortable for him?

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

My mom passed away this morning and my dad has agreed that I can have our (mostly her) dog. He is a 12 lb bichon frise. We got him when I was in high school and he is now 11 years old, so I know how to care for a bichon and all that, but the real challenge is that I live out of state and the drive is 10 hours.

He hates being in the car, oh god. I will probably drive up to get him in April because I'd have to pack all the pet stuff in my car too, there's no way I could fly him back.

I don't have tips really, I'm sure others will chime in with plenty. I just wanted to offer you my deepest condolences on the loss of your Mom. I'm so very sorry. :(

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!
Thanks for the tips! I am totally guilty of initial head-petting. I can read cats well, but dogs are just like this slightly parallel set of body language that I don't spend enough time around them to understand, and not freaking them out upon approach seems like a good life skill to have.

Sorry about your mom, Hip Hoptimus. No advice here either, but I hope it goes well. Sedatives?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I thought dogs loved the car? I do not have a dog.
I hope it goes well for you :(

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Meat / food / treats are also effective at making any dog love you for ever and ever :D

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

To make your new buddy comfortable for your ride you may want to talk to a vet about getting him something to lessen his anxiety. Diazepam or Alprazolam is generally best for scared dogs when you don't have time to slowly work on desensitization. You might also want to look into a tight fitting dog shirt (like a thundershirt but any tight shirt might help), some dog appeasing pheromones (anything with DAP), or a doggy relaxation cd to make your ride more relaxing for both of you. If he doesn't get barfy in the car some nice chewies like bullysticks or an awesome bone or a stuffed kong would probably keep him happy for a while.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

To make your new buddy comfortable for your ride you may want to talk to a vet about getting him something to lessen his anxiety. Diazepam or Alprazolam is generally best for scared dogs when you don't have time to slowly work on desensitization. You might also want to look into a tight fitting dog shirt (like a thundershirt but any tight shirt might help), some dog appeasing pheromones (anything with DAP), or a doggy relaxation cd to make your ride more relaxing for both of you. If he doesn't get barfy in the car some nice chewies like bullysticks or an awesome bone or a stuffed kong would probably keep him happy for a while.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone who posted condolences.

I figured a sedative would probably be a good idea. I hate to drug him up, but I cannot drive for 10 hours with an anxious, whining dog. He tends to climb in your lap in the car which is fine if there's someone else as a passenger but I'll be alone and I can't have him on my lap in the drivers' seat. I mean, a sudden stop could crush him. I'm going to have to have him in his carrier almost the whole way save for pit stops.

He should adjust well once we actually arrive--he knows me quite well and he's been good with following my commands here at my parents' house, so I think the biggest adjustment will be physically taking him out to use the bathroom while on a leash instead of just letting him out in the yard. I live in an apartment so there's really no way around it.

He's an angel and my mom loved him to pieces, they were really close, so getting to keep him is like getting a piece of my mama.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Follow-up to Nature's Miracle/Black light dilemma: I waited until night time again to turn on the black light and with my handy dandy gallon of NM, dumped it on anything that vaguely glowed, moved furniture around (goddamn dog peeing on the TV cart full of gaming consoles and cable box), and scrubby scrubbed. It is SO much more effective that way, than just guessing approximately where the spots are and dumping a splash of NM on it in daylight. Maybe my eyes are tired from using the black light for too long, but I can't see any more glowing spots; not even faded ones. :)

:woop:

Gallon of nature's miracle: $25 Petsmart
Eco-smart black lightbulb: $7 Grocery store

So relieved. Recommend this to everyone with cat/dog piss problems in the future. (I know I'm treating this like some huge epiphany; I know it's simple I'm just happy)

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
One of our dogs has some fair sized chips out of her canine teeth from chewing at her kennel bars before we got her. We took her to our vet a few months back to get her opinion on them and she didn't seem to think they required any attention. Just took a close look at them yesterday and the chips are much darker in colour than the rest of the tooth, very yellow. Does this warrant another check-in with the vet? Were they way off in their diagnosis of not needing attention?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't see a dog nutrition thread but maybe someone in here has had a similar situation.

My doggy broke into the garbage can while I was out and ate about 2 loaves of moldy bread. Should I expect some funky bowel movements and vomit at worst or should I worry about this?

Shes a 70 lb. lab so its not like its going to destroy her stomach or digestive tract right?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

whaam posted:

One of our dogs has some fair sized chips out of her canine teeth from chewing at her kennel bars before we got her. We took her to our vet a few months back to get her opinion on them and she didn't seem to think they required any attention. Just took a close look at them yesterday and the chips are much darker in colour than the rest of the tooth, very yellow. Does this warrant another check-in with the vet? Were they way off in their diagnosis of not needing attention?

Do you mean that the surface where the enamel is missing or worn away is darker in color? That is normal; a different type of material (dentin, not enamel) builds up with chronic wear to replace the lost enamel, and this is usually much darker. Dental care is needed for this type of problem only if the wear is happening faster than the dentin builds up, which results in the pulp being exposed. If that were the case it might be painful or get infected.

commy gun posted:

I didn't see a dog nutrition thread but maybe someone in here has had a similar situation.

My doggy broke into the garbage can while I was out and ate about 2 loaves of moldy bread. Should I expect some funky bowel movements and vomit at worst or should I worry about this?

Shes a 70 lb. lab so its not like its going to destroy her stomach or digestive tract right?

First of all, the dog nutrition thread is stickied to the top of the page.

Second, your best case scenario has your dog vomiting and/or developing diarrhea for a day or two. Worst case is that your dog develops a reaction to the toxins sometimes found in moldy foods. The one I most commonly think of with mold causes neurologic signs, such as incoordination or poor balance, tremors, even seizures.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Our cat's just decided that making GBS threads on the sofa is an awesome idea. He's done it twice in the last three days; he's three years old and hadn't done it before. Anyone suggest some way of letting him know that this is a very bad idea? Something to spray on it, maybe? Is 'rubbing his nose in it' (literally or otherwise) a good idea?

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Unkempt posted:

Our cat's just decided that making GBS threads on the sofa is an awesome idea. He's done it twice in the last three days; he's three years old and hadn't done it before. Anyone suggest some way of letting him know that this is a very bad idea? Something to spray on it, maybe? Is 'rubbing his nose in it' (literally or otherwise) a good idea?

Nature's Miracle, and no, that is not a good idea. What happens is he does it once for whatever reason, and then after that it smells like the place to poop so that's where he goes. Enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle remove the smell so he no longer associates sofa with making GBS threads zone.

If this is a sudden change in behavior, then you've earned the magic PI phrase: VET TIME!

He could also be dissatisfied with the litter box in some way, stressed out by something going on in his environment, or simply a cat.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Robo Kitty posted:

Nature's Miracle, and no, that is not a good idea. What happens is he does it once for whatever reason, and then after that it smells like the place to poop so that's where he goes. Enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle remove the smell so he no longer associates sofa with making GBS threads zone.

If this is a sudden change in behavior, then you've earned the magic PI phrase: VET TIME!

He could also be dissatisfied with the litter box in some way, stressed out by something going on in his environment, or simply a cat.

Thanks, that sounds good. The first time the litter box was a bit full, so it's probably our bad, but we need to nip it in the bud. Anyone know if they sell 'Nature's Miracle' in the UK? Or an equivalent? Maybe one of these?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Unkempt posted:

Thanks, that sounds good. The first time the litter box was a bit full, so it's probably our bad, but we need to nip it in the bud. Anyone know if they sell 'Nature's Miracle' in the UK? Or an equivalent? Maybe one of these?

This is calling itself an enzymatic cleaner, which is what you want.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

My miniature poodle foster dog, Oliver, for the most part has fit in pretty well with my own dogs, Sunday and Cooper. We've had him for about 3 weeks now. However, once in awhile Oliver will completely lose his temper if one of my dogs "corrects" him-- for example, Oliver tried to take a bone that Cooper had, Cooper growled at him, and Oliver flipped out and snarled and lunged at Cooper barking his head off. He also does this if Sunday tries to cuddle in bed with him or something. 95% of the time there's no conflict whatsoever. I don't think Oliver would hurt either of them or go completely into attack mode, because he just gets pissed off for a few seconds, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to deal with this. My first instinct is to yell at him, but I don't know if I should just be letting them work it out or whatever. Like I said, I'm not worried about injuries here, and Oliver is also extremely sensitive and gets pretty upset when I yell at him.

This is Oliver, by the way, in all his adorableness:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

This is my kitten. He's 14 years old, in generally good health. Had bladder crystals when he was a little boy, had them surgically removed, and has been on a prescription diet ever since.

I tried to get a good close-up picture, but he isn't a huge fan of posing for the camera (you can see he is cranky). About two months ago, I noticed he got a small abrasion on his bottom lip. It looked kind of like a kitty cold sore, so I left it alone. It got bigger in size, and the skin looked pink. Then it developed a little bump. One day it bled a little bit and then had black crusted drainage for about a week and the bump fell off. Currently, it's back to looking pink. It has stayed the same size for about a month now. You can get a feel for the size from the picture.

Is this something to be concerned about? Should I take him to the vet or just let it be? I would feel silly spending money on the vet if it's just some kind of kitty cold sore, but I'm worried that it could be something worse (like kitty cancer). My only concern is that it doesn't appear to be going away, and it seems like it should have healed over by now.

He is in his same spirits as always, he doesn't appear to be uncomfortable at all. What should I do?

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

What is this thing growing out of my cat's toe pad??

Note: he's a polydactyl and the growth is on his extra "thumb" on his front paw. The extra digit is smaller than other normal toes, doesn't have fully developed tendons, and therefore kind of curls underneath the paw when he walks. It doesn't seem to hurt him and he lets me manipulate the paw (and that toe pad) with no problem. The growth does appear to be enlarging and hardening over time though so I'm just wondering what the hell it is and if anything should be done with it...

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks for the reply on the dental issue. Another question, our other dog a 40lb, 4 yr old lab daschund mix drinks a lot of water and while he has no accidents while we are at work, as soon as we get home he starts chugging water. Then from about 6pm till bed he needs to pee 3 or 4 times. Took him in for urinalysis and blood work a few months back, kidneys normal, no diabetes, no urine/bladder infection at the time, vet had no ideas. Do some dogs just drink a lot?

Forgot to mention. He will have accidents at the door once every few weeks first thing in the morning before we get up, likely because after his last pee of the night he tends to drink about 400 ml of water before going to bed.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

whaam posted:

Thanks for the reply on the dental issue. Another question, our other dog a 40lb, 4 yr old lab daschund mix drinks a lot of water and while he has no accidents while we are at work, as soon as we get home he starts chugging water. Then from about 6pm till bed he needs to pee 3 or 4 times. Took him in for urinalysis and blood work a few months back, kidneys normal, no diabetes, no urine/bladder infection at the time, vet had no ideas. Do some dogs just drink a lot?

Forgot to mention. He will have accidents at the door once every few weeks first thing in the morning before we get up, likely because after his last pee of the night he tends to drink about 400 ml of water before going to bed.

There are some medical conditions that can cause an increase in water drinking/peeing that wouldn't *necessarily* show up in routine bloodwork - there can be problems with adrenal glands (Cushing's Disease, though there are usually some bloodwork changes) or the system that regulates water output (Diabetes Insipidus, doesn't involve blood sugar), among others.

Or you could have a dog that's crazy and drinks a lot of water because it's crazy (psychogenic polydipsia).

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Koivunen posted:

Is this something to be concerned about? Should I take him to the vet or just let it be? I would feel silly spending money on the vet if it's just some kind of kitty cold sore, but I'm worried that it could be something worse (like kitty cancer). My only concern is that it doesn't appear to be going away, and it seems like it should have healed over by now.
I think you know the answer. And besides, at 14 he should be seeing a vet at least yearly anyway.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

FlyingFish posted:

Note: he's a polydactyl and the growth is on his extra "thumb" on his front paw. The extra digit is smaller than other normal toes, doesn't have fully developed tendons, and therefore kind of curls underneath the paw when he walks. It doesn't seem to hurt him and he lets me manipulate the paw (and that toe pad) with no problem. The growth does appear to be enlarging and hardening over time though so I'm just wondering what the hell it is and if anything should be done with it...

It looks kind of like some crazy malformed nail. Polydactyls grow those sometimes.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Koivunen posted:

This is my kitten. He's 14 years old, in generally good health. Had bladder crystals when he was a little boy, had them surgically removed, and has been on a prescription diet ever since.

I tried to get a good close-up picture, but he isn't a huge fan of posing for the camera (you can see he is cranky). About two months ago, I noticed he got a small abrasion on his bottom lip. It looked kind of like a kitty cold sore, so I left it alone. It got bigger in size, and the skin looked pink. Then it developed a little bump. One day it bled a little bit and then had black crusted drainage for about a week and the bump fell off. Currently, it's back to looking pink. It has stayed the same size for about a month now. You can get a feel for the size from the picture.

He is in his same spirits as always, he doesn't appear to be uncomfortable at all. What should I do?

Vet time!

Also his ears are filthy. You should have him checked for ear mites or an infection. I know some cats just have filthy ears, but lots of brown gunk isn't usually a great sign even just for ear cleanliness, and your vets can clean it out no problem just to keep him nice and tidy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

FlyingFish posted:

It looks like a skin tag, they can occur on basically any type of animal as far as I know. My dog has one on a hind leg. They're usually harmless. I'd keep an eye on it, if it doesn't change in size, colour or shape, then mention it to your vet at the cat's next exam. If it does change, get the cat in sooner.