Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

nahanahs posted:

Do Maltese combos break in at all? It's very stiff and kind of chokey when I'm in stance.

Mine was pretty comfortable the second I got it. Did you give them the right measurements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am going to place the order for my pads tomorrow. Decided on 35" +1, which was bigger than I expected, but the set I tried on fit me well and actually a 35" +1 in G-Netiks is basically the same size as 34" +1 in the Sub-Zero 2s. Going to go 3-3-3 on all of the breaks with a double break on the pads and the smart straps. I'm also going to go with a Jenpro B-Star logo, which will have a Swedish yellow star and possibly a blue 'B'. I decided to go with the stock graphic, since the upcharge for the vintage pattern was more than I wanted to spend. The only thing I have left to decide is whether to use royal blue or navy. I've seen Swedish goaltenders use both, but I go back and forth between which I prefer. I went with the blue on the inside, in part, because it will work better with my white gloves and I think it is a little different look than most people go with that graphic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I too am about to order pads, skates and sticks. Going with the 34+1 to play it safe.

Only thing I can't pick is stick colour.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Aniki posted:

The only thing I have left to decide is whether to use royal blue or navy. I've seen Swedish goaltenders use both, but I go back and forth between which I prefer. I went with the blue on the inside, in part, because it will work better with my white gloves and I think it is a little different look than most people go with that graphic.

They both look pretty good but I have to admit I prefer the Navy

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

real_scud posted:

They both look pretty good but I have to admit I prefer the Navy

They both look pretty good but I have to admit I prefer the Royal

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

I too am about to order pads, skates and sticks. Going with the 34+1 to play it safe.

Only thing I can't pick is stick colour.

If your pads are black, then I would go with the black stick. Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with the natural colored stick.

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

They both look pretty good but I have to admit I prefer the Royal

I decided to go with the royal blue.

We had a playoff game last night. I gave up two early goals off of deflections and we trailed for most of the game. We took a 4-3 goal about halfway through the 3rd. I made a huge save with a little over a minute left. They then pulled their goalie and we scored 3 empty netters in the last minute, so we won 7-3, but it was really a much closer game than that. 3 empty netters is a bit dickish, but the 3rd one came on a delayed penalty after they shoved one of our guys down when the puck wasn't near him.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I have been using an older reebok p3 stick Luongo curve. I am not sure if its the lie or the length of the paddle which I believei e 24. Sometimes I just feel like when I am in my stance I don't have the blade down right. Like I feel like its not squared up on the ice and a piece of it is off the ice. Is this a paddle problem or a lie problem?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I have been using an older reebok p3 stick Luongo curve. I am not sure if its the lie or the length of the paddle which I believei e 24. Sometimes I just feel like when I am in my stance I don't have the blade down right. Like I feel like its not squared up on the ice and a piece of it is off the ice. Is this a paddle problem or a lie problem?

If I remember correctly, you're a shorter goalie too, so a 24" paddle shouldn't be too short. When you are in your stance are you in a crouch/squat positon or are you standing more upright? My guess would be that it's either a lie issue or maybe you are standing slightly more upright after your knee injury.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

If I remember correctly, you're a shorter goalie too, so a 24" paddle shouldn't be too short. When you are in your stance are you in a crouch/squat positon or are you standing more upright? My guess would be that it's either a lie issue or maybe you are standing slightly more upright after your knee injury.

Hm I didn't think about standing up more straight. Maybe I can't get down into my stance like I used too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I was able to get out to open hockey today. I played pretty well and it was nice to get some extra ice time, since I didn't have a game this weekend. My breathing was still a little messed up (been on two different courses of Prednisone in the last month), but it got stronger as the session wore on. I feel like my movement is starting to get better. Not super crisp like I would want it to be, but things that I've done in drills in the past are finally starting to leak into my game.

I also talked to the hockey shop and the estimated production time for my pads is around 10-12 weeks. Hopefully, it will be faster than that, but I'm really looking forward to the pads and think they will be a better fit for my game. I don't necessarily feel like my pads are holding me back or anything, but the double break pads will be a better fit for my narrow butterfly and I've really liked the smart straps the few times I've been able to try them. It will also be good to have thicker knee stacks and a pad designed for big knee pads.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Mine was pretty comfortable the second I got it. Did you give them the right measurements?

Never had any issues with my Maltese combo feeling stiff or choking me. Mine is an older model with I think their 2nd gen gel, so it is possible that newer models could fit differently. That being said, I took a shot to the throat today and my Maltese combo absorbed all of the force without any problem.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Just grabbed this since it was highly recommended on gsbb:

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/425R/MCDAVID_Level_2_Knee_Support_w_stays_cross_straps.aspx

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

What type of knee damage did you have again?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

What type of knee damage did you have again?

I had an MCL issue.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Surfing Turtle posted:

It's not that it doesn't fit. It's that the gel is very stiff.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So I've been replacing gear bit by bit over the last year, and the last major purchase I need to make is skates. I'm currently using a pair of (Nike!) Bauer Supreme 7000 skates that were used pro-stock from the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL. They've been pretty good and they'll be fine for a while longer but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for skates. My player skates are also Bauer, and I've never really skated with any other goalie skate. I've tried player Eastons/Reeboks, I've tried on Grafs before, and I had CCM Tacks as a kid.

I've been looking at the Bauer Elites but I'm just wondering what general thoughts people have on the current crop of goalie skates/how they fit. I've been fine with Bauer so I'll probably stick with them but I'm also curious if people have used Bauers and others and how they compare.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

So I've been replacing gear bit by bit over the last year, and the last major purchase I need to make is skates. I'm currently using a pair of (Nike!) Bauer Supreme 7000 skates that were used pro-stock from the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL. They've been pretty good and they'll be fine for a while longer but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for skates. My player skates are also Bauer, and I've never really skated with any other goalie skate. I've tried player Eastons/Reeboks, I've tried on Grafs before, and I had CCM Tacks as a kid.

I've been looking at the Bauer Elites but I'm just wondering what general thoughts people have on the current crop of goalie skates/how they fit. I've been fine with Bauer so I'll probably stick with them but I'm also curious if people have used Bauers and others and how they compare.

Get Bauers. Their cowling is incredible and, for some reason, no one else has copied it yet. It gets you up higher, for easier lateral pushes, and pitches you forward, getting you in a more aggressive stance.

When I broke down my One80s, I got a pair of Grafs and I couldn't function anymore. A guy at the store suggested putting the Graf boots into the Bauer cowling and it's amazing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I had an MCL issue.

I had two MCL tears about two years ago, my right knee was a grade 2 tear and the left one grade 1.5 tear with a dislocated knee cap. When I first came back from those injuries, I needed to wear a hinged-knee brace, since it allowed me to bend my knee, but take pressure off of my MCL and it also limited my range of motion. It looks like that brace isn't specifically designed for MCL injuries. It does have some steel medial lateral supports, which should offer some protection, but something like this would provide better MCL support. For me, I needed to wear the hinged braces for the first couple months back on the ice, but gradually my supporting muscles became stronger and more importantly, I became more confident in my knee and I no longer wear hinged braces on either leg. The process of getting confidence back in yourself is the hardest part and a brace will help with that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

I had two MCL tears about two years ago, my right knee was a grade 2 tear and the left one grade 1.5 tear with a dislocated knee cap. When I first came back from those injuries, I needed to wear a hinged-knee brace, since it allowed me to bend my knee, but take pressure off of my MCL and it also limited my range of motion. It looks like that brace isn't specifically designed for MCL injuries. It does have some steel medial lateral supports, which should offer some protection, but something like this would provide better MCL support. For me, I needed to wear the hinged braces for the first couple months back on the ice, but gradually my supporting muscles became stronger and more importantly, I became more confident in my knee and I no longer wear hinged braces on either leg. The process of getting confidence back in yourself is the hardest part and a brace will help with that.

I dont have any pain in my knee anymore and I have been lifting to strengthen the muscles. I just wanted something to give support without being too restrictive.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

nahanahs posted:

Get Bauers. Their cowling is incredible and, for some reason, no one else has copied it yet. It gets you up higher, for easier lateral pushes, and pitches you forward, getting you in a more aggressive stance.

When I broke down my One80s, I got a pair of Grafs and I couldn't function anymore. A guy at the store suggested putting the Graf boots into the Bauer cowling and it's amazing.

Agreed. I have the Bauer Elites and love them. All the reasons above plus they fît like a glove from the first time i put them on.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Oi, we got shelled in our playoff game tonight. The other team was constantly getting breakaways and clean looks and my angles were off and I was fanning on shots that I'd normally stop. It was a frustrating game where I never felt like I got in a rhythm. I just need to put the game out of my mind, recognize the mistakes that I made, and correct them for next time.

It may be time for me to get some more lessons soon. I've heard about a cheaper goalie coach in town who is supposed to be pretty good, so I'll need to give him a shot soon.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
My McDavid brace came in. Fits really well and I can definitely play in it since the metal is flexible. If I had the level 3 brace I am sure I would snap that metal in half if i tried to play with it.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Hey Michigan and surrounding area goalie goons near Livonia, Flint and.. probably Taylor or Sterling Heights (I don't remember):

Perani's is having a 30% off all "older" goalie equipment on March 7th from 9pm to Midnight. "Older" means anything not in the 2014 catalog, so there's lots to be had for a great price.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Agreed. I have the Bauer Elites and love them. All the reasons above plus they fît like a glove from the first time i put them on.

Does this mean you didn't bake them before skating in them?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

My McDavid brace came in. Fits really well and I can definitely play in it since the metal is flexible. If I had the level 3 brace I am sure I would snap that metal in half if i tried to play with it.

I'm glad that the brace fits well and is comfortable. The metal holds up better than you'd expect, but I imagine that your legs are pretty strong at this point, so you shouldn't need a ton of additional support. Hopefully the brace makes your transition back to ice easier and will give you the confidence to do the things that you used to do.

Maria Mountain posted a new video today. She goes over two exercises that she's covered before, but are important, and has an interesting exercise to help you hold your stance and be explosive for longer periods of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4vPHFS_0g4

Edit: She also posted an interesting hip stretch this week. I'd advised everyone to do hip lunge stretches, since they really do help loosen up your hips, but the variant she posted is a lot harder. It felt effective, but I'm going to work this in along with regular hip lunges and see if it makes a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raS7Xa5eBB0

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2014

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Does this mean you didn't bake them before skating in them?

No I still did.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I meant to post this earlier, but the Atlantic posted a really good article about Urpo Ylönen and the development of Finnish goaltending.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/the-puck-stops-here/357579/

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
My gear arrived today! The 34+1 was the right choice, they fit well, the +2 would probably have been too ungainly for me. I'm also really glad I got the knee pads, they're miles better than the ones that came with the pads.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
If I have a pair of Rituals that are single break below the knee, and I want the top curved more, so it's like a double break, if I did something like those guys that wrap their pads with an elastic cord, how much would it gently caress up the pad?

I want to give them one more shot before selling them, but if it'll wreck them, I'd rather not do that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

My gear arrived today! The 34+1 was the right choice, they fit well, the +2 would probably have been too ungainly for me. I'm also really glad I got the knee pads, they're miles better than the ones that came with the pads.

It's great to hear that the new leg and knee pads fit well. Having gear that fits properly will make a huge difference.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Aniki posted:

It's great to hear that the new leg and knee pads fit well. Having gear that fits properly will make a huge difference.

Now I just need to get my new skates sharpened, but what cut?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

Now I just need to get my new skates sharpened, but what cut?

Start out with 5/8". If it feels too dull, then go up to 1/2" next time and if it feels too sharp, then go back to 3/4". Goalies used to like really dull blades (1"), but now goalies prefer their blades to be sharper. Some guys will even go with 1/4", which is super sharp. Basically, the sharper the blade, the more it will dig into the ice and allow for you to get powerful pushes and the duller the blade, the easier it will be for your to shuffle and glide.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
drat Quick's movement in the crease is so ridiculous.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Aniki posted:

Start out with 5/8". If it feels too dull, then go up to 1/2" next time and if it feels too sharp, then go back to 3/4". Goalies used to like really dull blades (1"), but now goalies prefer their blades to be sharper. Some guys will even go with 1/4", which is super sharp. Basically, the sharper the blade, the more it will dig into the ice and allow for you to get powerful pushes and the duller the blade, the easier it will be for your to shuffle and glide.

Does weight factor into it?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

Does weight factor into it?

It can be a factor, but I can't remember for sure how lighter and heavier goalies adjust. Just start out with 5/8". Your preference in sharpness/hollow will change as you get more comfortable and become a stronger skater.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hi, thread! Me again with another stupid question.

I've decided to take up the game so I went out and got myself a pair of Reebok 5Ks (2012 model), but I can't make it two laps without hobbling around in terrible pain in the bottoms of my feet. I do have flat feet, and I've tried every sock/insole/superfeet permutation I can think of with no joy. They felt fine in the store and I can put them on and walk around in them all day, but I step on the ice and it feels like I'm skating around with a baseball in my shoe.

Could it be that they're too narrow? If so, how much fun am I going to have flipping these tiny, barely used skates?

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

I've decided to take up the game so I went out and got myself a pair of Reebok 5Ks (2012 model), but I can't make it two laps without hobbling around in terrible pain in the bottoms of my feet. I do have flat feet, and I've tried every sock/insole/superfeet permutation I can think of with no joy. They felt fine in the store and I can put them on and walk around in them all day, but I step on the ice and it feels like I'm skating around with a baseball in my shoe.

Could it be that they're too narrow? If so, how much fun am I going to have flipping these tiny, barely used skates?

I had a very similar problem. I have wide flat feet that apparently are also rather thick in front of my ankle. I started with a pair of entry level Grafs and had them baked and whatnot and they seemed to work fine. But one day when I was just skating, not actually playing in goal, I realized they were excrutiating and I had to stop. I went out and bought a pair of wides, and they have helped but they still aren't perfect.

The problems I found were a lot of stores didn't stock wide goalie skates, so getting the right size was a bit of a gamble. Still, you can try and get the right length of skate and do research on whose skates are wider, narrower. Are they wider in just the toe box, or all the way through the middle of the skate?

Another thing, and what I have had to do with both my player and goalie skates, is if your shop is willing they usually have some sort of press that they can use to try and adjust the fit of your skates. They had to go through mine and make the arches of the boots smaller.

As to selling the old skates I didn't have much luck and ended up eating the cost but that depends entirely on your local market. Some sizes are constantly in demand while others don't move at all here. Posting them on the goon store might be a good idea for helping out others looking to start out and try their hand at being a goalie without putting out the full cost of entry.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

flakeloaf posted:

It can take up to 8 hours of ice time to break in your skates, so depending on how long you've had them, that could be part of the problem. If you are feeling pain in a specific spot, you can ask someone at the hockey shop to punch out your skates, which would alleviate that pressure point. Otherwise you can try baking your skates again, which can help them mold to your feet better and accelerate the break in process.

We lost 4-3 in a shootout tonight. I got my skates sharpened today and my movement was night and day compared to Wednesday. My recoveries were strong and I was just skating very well. I held them scoreless in the 1st despite facing about 15 shots. They scored three in 2nd. The first one squeaked through my 5-hole on a breakaway. The second their fastest skater cut across crease, I made a really nice slide and stopped two shots while going across the crease before they finally banged in the 3rd shot. Then on the third goal, they had another breakaway, I came out and challenged prematurely, which gave the shooter time to pick his spot and beat me short side. We scored two goals in the third to tie it and then I stopped the first two shots in the shootout before they finally beat me on the third shot. Overall, it was a fun game. I felt that I played well and I was really happy with my movement and how hard I was fighting to stay in plays. Would have been nice to get a win, but it was a nice way to get Wednesday's abortion out of my system.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

What should I do with the really long straps? Trim them? Tape them down? Tuck them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

What should I do with the really long straps? Trim them? Tape them down? Tuck them in?

Really tiny pic but just reinsert the long end back into the buckle.

• Locked thread