Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I ended up getting mine (titanium, though) on Etsy as well. We lucked out and my fiancee found a gold band they really liked at the same store I found their engagement ring, though. Which I guess makes my second recommendation to check out places that sell estate pieces if you aren't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
I've been engagement ring shopping and I think I've found a local jeweler I like. It's gonna be classic solitaire diamond, cliche'd AF. Budget maybe 4k.

What are my options with negotiating price? Is that even a thing? If so, how much should I push (% down from ask)?

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
Can someone help me with tipping etiquette? I don't want to be a jerk.

I have a list of people I don't know if/how I should tip:

• Cake lady dropping off and setting up the cake but not helping serve it? She is already charging me a $75 delivery fee.
  • Guy who is dropping off, setting up, and then picking up the tables and chairs? When do I tip him? How much?
  • (Weird one) Portapotty delivery/pick up people?
  • Catering that a friend is picking up from the restaurant for me? Should I tell her to tip on the catering bill? The prices seem inflated a bit from the normal menu as it is I assume since it's a large order.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

For anyone thinking of ordering your invites from vistaprint, make sure you give yourself plenty of time. Due to production issues, a shipment getting lost, reorder of the lost shipment, and receipt of the lost shipment with someone else's envelopes instead of ours, we are now 2weeks out on what was originally an expedited overnight order and aren't receiving our envelopes until the end of the week. The quality of everything is great though, and was really inexpensive. But we are already screwed for getting our invites out on time.

Jolarix posted:

I've been engagement ring shopping and I think I've found a local jeweler I like. It's gonna be classic solitaire diamond, cliche'd AF. Budget maybe 4k.

What are my options with negotiating price? Is that even a thing? If so, how much should I push (% down from ask)?

Generally 30% off of the original appraised value is the best margin places have, but is. It always gate reed as diamonds don't have the same wholesale cost-retail value as other retail goods. If their sale price is started off at 50% off the appraised value, there is usually something fishy going on. If the diamond is certified (get one that is, you will need it for insurance), GIA and EGL are the only certifications I would accept, unless the diamond is under a carat, but more on appraisals in a minute. Diamonds certified by EGL will generally be cheaper because they don't charge as much for certification as GIA does. This can make a difference of roughly $500-1000 depending on the size of the diamond. Diamonds under 1ct have a larger margin available to discount. Over 1ct generally doesn't have the same discount availability due to their overall cost, as well as higher certification costs, insurance, etc. Smaller than 1ct, it is ok to accept a cert from an outside lab, but do your research to find out if the lab employs Graduate Gemolgists for their appraisals (there is a difference between a GG vs just gemologist or appraiser), and that they have a degree from GIA or EGL. Do not accept in house certification, if the business puts their name on the certificate of the diamond they are selling you, it is considered a biased appraisal and insurance will not cover you if a loss happens, plus it is also a sketchy practice overall. It is ok to get your final ring appraisal done in house if the diamond was certified by an outside lab.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
When the woman doesn't take the man's last name, are they still referred to as Mr and Mrs So and So?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

SimonCat posted:

When the woman doesn't take the man's last name, are they still referred to as Mr and Mrs So and So?

No, it'd be Ms. Her Last Name and Mr. His Last Name

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Problem! posted:

No, it'd be Ms. Her Last Name and Mr. His Last Name

Or Mrs. Her Last Name and Mr. His Last Name.

That's how my parents had it, anyway. I'll be sticking with Ms, personally.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there any benefit to putting a dress on a particular rewards card? Trying to maximize the points return throughout the wedding to "fund" the honeymoon. I know Amex has some policies on things that are better, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something to go out of my way for besides just putting it on the travels card.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've seen hyphenated conjunctive last names.

Mr and Mrs. Roberts-Smith, or whatever.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Our wedding photographers have disappeared off the face of the earth. It has been almost six months. They have not responded to any of our attempts to contact them, although they are clearly still alive because they always screen my calls after one or two rings. Going by recent reviews left on their page we are not the only ones having this problem with them.

As far as I see it my only options at this point are
1. Try to track them down in person
2. Hire a lawyer

Any advice?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Our wedding photographers have disappeared off the face of the earth. It has been almost six months. They have not responded to any of our attempts to contact them, although they are clearly still alive because they always screen my calls after one or two rings. Going by recent reviews left on their page we are not the only ones having this problem with them.

2. Hire a lawyer

Any advice?

Do you have any sort of contract, no matter how tenuous, with them? If not, I'm sorry to say, you're SOL right now. I would start looking for alternatives as quickly as possible.

My first marriage included a photographer that disappeared within three months of the ceremony, and I still haven't heard from the dude, and that was in 2008. Do yourself a favor and don't expect people to take extra care just because it's your wedding. They look at it as no different than if they were working the counter at a pizzeria.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I don't know where I implied that I'm upset they have disappeared because it was ~*~*my special day*~*~, that has gently caress all to do with it honestly. We have some pictures taken by family, I'm just pissed that I paid money and got ripped the gently caress off. Yeah, even at the shittiest pizza place I don't expect to pay for my food and then have the guy make it and then walk out the loving door with it.

If there is nothing I can do I will get over it, I just wanted to know of I have any options

John Cenas Jorts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 25, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So NYC appears to be completely out of XS size suits of a going out of style jacket from Uniqlo that we were going to use for my groomsmen. Can anyone in thread check availability nearby of this suit https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/mens-stretch-wool-slim-fit-jacket-163529.html in 05 Gray (again, XS size) and see if there are any? Not sure if you can ship from in store or if someone would get it and ship it for $20 + fees, but I'd appreciate the help before I hit the drawing board again.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

I don't know where I implied that I'm upset they have disappeared because it was ~*~*my special day*~*~, that has gently caress all to do with it honestly. We have some pictures taken by family, I'm just pissed that I paid money and got ripped the gently caress off. Yeah, even at the shittiest pizza place I don't expect to pay for my food and then have the guy make it and then walk out the loving door with it.

If there is nothing I can do I will get over it, I just wanted to know of I have any options

I think Pope Corky's response was made with the assumption that you hadn't had the wedding yet, and still had the option of finding a different photographer for your wedding day (I admit I was unsure from your previous post which situation it was) but it definitely leaves you with different options if the wedding already happened and they have your photos that you've paid for. I think in this case you should at least threaten them with legal action before actually hiring someone, as the threat alone might be enough to get them to give you even the raw, unedited photos so that you at least have something from the day.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

So NYC appears to be completely out of XS size suits of a going out of style jacket from Uniqlo that we were going to use for my groomsmen. Can anyone in thread check availability nearby of this suit https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/mens-stretch-wool-slim-fit-jacket-163529.html in 05 Gray (again, XS size) and see if there are any? Not sure if you can ship from in store or if someone would get it and ship it for $20 + fees, but I'd appreciate the help before I hit the drawing board again.

I'd also take a small if anyone had luck finding it. Hell, at $60 I'd take both sizes.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Can someone share an album featuring abstract/surreal prenup photos? We found a cabin on a forest that's perfect for that kind of shoot (and we both love weird poo poo) so it would be nice to get some ideas.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

John Cenas Jorts posted:

2. Hire a lawyer

Any advice?

:mad: That freaking sucks. I hate when people give my profession a bad name.

There are times when a social media storm can get their attention. If they're at all savvy and care about their reputation, they'll start to respond to 1-star reviews. If you haven't had your wedding yet, try looking for someone else. Sorry you're having to go through this, it sucks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
One of the rings in my girlfriend's pinterest is this one:

http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/31092/sapphire-diamond-three-stone-ring-platinum

What should I look out for if I decide to go with a similar ring? How are sapphires graded? I'm assuming jewelers will want to "cheap out" on the side stones in a similar ring? Does anyone have any thoughts on mc2jewels in particular?

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Hey thread - want to rate my proposal plan?

- I've booked a secret weekend retreat to a snowy destination, where we will go dog-sledding (her dream). She thinks we are having a lazy weekend at home.
- Booked the hotel and activities, picked up the rock, calling her parents soon
- Proposal spot picked at scenic outlook
- This spot will be sparsely populated, so I got a tripod and camera on multi-shot timer to capture the moment and aftermath
- Preparing what I'm actually going to say.

The location is a national park, and I'll be driving, so I'm going to bring some non-alcoholic champagne and some plastic cups. I'm also thinking of a couple other cutesy things like bringing a RingPop candy "in case it doesn't fit" (it will).

Anything else I should consider ?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
she is sure to say no and humiliate you, 0/10

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Jolarix posted:

The location is a national park, and I'll be driving, so I'm going to bring some non-alcoholic champagne and some plastic cups.

Not sure what a national park has to do with it since I'm pretty sure I've gotten drunk multiple times at camp from cheap wine sold right out of the park's own camp store.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Many national parks are hard to reach by public transportation, meaning someone has to be sober to drive?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Waci posted:

Many national parks are hard to reach by public transportation, meaning someone has to be sober to drive?

Too bad that once you've had one glass of champagne you're drunk, forever. If only he could do something like take a half hour walk around a national park.

I got the impression that he'd rather have the real stuff, but was worried that national parks ban the consumption of alcohol. At least the last time I checked, wasn't the case.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Cool

Waci posted:

This! And if the minutiae of fake champagne is my biggest concern, then I think I'm in good shape.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXAhyAJjzQ

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

(Crossposting from BWM) What could go wrong with a million-dollar wedding? Check out the million-dollar lawsuit.

quote:

Washington A-listers Joan and Bernard Carl wanted a beautiful wedding for their oldest child. And for the most part, they got it.

The lavish June 2015 celebration for 250 guests in the garden of their Southampton estate was gorgeous. The bride wore Oscar de la Renta. There were 3,500 white roses individually studded into the lawn, a five-course dinner beneath massive chandeliers of greenery and a seven-tier wedding cake.

The mother of the bride commissioned monogrammed napkins for each place setting, as well as a custom fabric for the tables and the flower girl’s dress. There was a beachfront rehearsal dinner. The reception included a specialty cocktail served in an ostrich eggshell; the after parties offered a Calvados and cigar bar, plus hot chocolate and brownie stations.

A week later, the couple exchanged vows in a small candlelight ceremony in the 16th-century chapel at the family chateau in the Loire Valley, followed by hot-air ballooning the next morning.

quote:

So maybe it’s not surprising that a legal battle is brewing between Los Angeles-based celebrity event planner Mindy Weiss and the Carls. Weiss, who designed the Southampton ceremony — which cost upward of a million dollars — is suing the couple for more than $340,000 in unpaid fees and expenses, plus $1.4 million in damages. The Carls claim that Weiss went on an unauthorized spending spree on their dime and is holding the bridal video hostage unless they pay her inflated bill.

quote:

The Carls, who have homes in Kalorama, the Hamptons, London and France, keep a relatively low profile and are horrified that the private family celebration and subsequent lawsuit, first reported in London’s Daily Mail, have become tabloid fodder.

quote:

Things came to a head when, after nearly 10 months of planning and just six weeks before the wedding, Weiss finally provided a detailed proposal that came in at $3 million. The father of the bride was stunned and refused to pay some charges that he considered to be wildly inflated.

quote:

The expenses Weiss says she paid for upfront include more than $45,000 for her staff to work the wedding, $48,000 in travel expenses, $38,000 for lighting, $10,000 for the videographer, and more. All those little wedding favors add up, too: $4,300 for totes, $5,000 for T-shirts, $1,000 for hangover Tylenol pouches.

quote:

The caterer and the band weren’t given a schedule for the reception. Heel protectors (which keep stilettos from sinking into the grass) didn’t work. The hired dressers had no clue how to bustle a wedding gown. The brownie station was poorly lit and sparsely attended. The bride and groom’s dogs, which were in the wedding procession, were left out of the wedding photos. Weiss didn’t have a Plan B for rain, which started to fall just before the ceremony.

I believe we have behind the scenes footage from the caterer:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So thoughtful of Tiffany's to have water on hand for when you see the price.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They didn't even light the loving brownie station properly?

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

Residency Evil posted:

One of the rings in my girlfriend's pinterest is this one:

http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/31092/sapphire-diamond-three-stone-ring-platinum

What should I look out for if I decide to go with a similar ring? How are sapphires graded? I'm assuming jewelers will want to "cheap out" on the side stones in a similar ring? Does anyone have any thoughts on mc2jewels in particular?

Sapphires are not really graded the same way as diamonds are. Instead, it really comes down to picking what you think is a cool color and looks pretty. Clearer sapphires are better, you don't want something waxy or cloudy, but that's pretty much it. Try to find something that has a little shine to it, and avoid anything heat treated, filled, or color treated.

I looked at the mc2jewels site very briefly and they look pretty cool. I like that they responsibly and ethically source everything, and go out of their way to tell you about it.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Five weeks out and oh god why.

I don't have clothes yet and im struggling to decide on what to wear. We're getting married in a park in SoCal in the afternoon. My fiancee has a lovely ivory dress with a cowl neck that's very flowy (we're going to get some burgundy ribbon and cinch it in) and I'm just...not sure how to match that. My original plan was to do a vest/waistcoat, dress shirt and pants, but I have no idea if we'll look stupid standing together. Fashion goons help.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

RabbitMage posted:

I don't have clothes yet and im struggling to decide on what to wear. We're getting married in a park in SoCal in the afternoon. My fiancee has a lovely ivory dress with a cowl neck that's very flowy (we're going to get some burgundy ribbon and cinch it in) and I'm just...not sure how to match that. My original plan was to do a vest/waistcoat, dress shirt and pants, but I have no idea if we'll look stupid standing together. Fashion goons help.

Non-fashion goon here, but a wedding professional. My thoughts would be a classic black suit? It sounds like she's doing a white dress so you would probably look fine. It also sounds like you are aiming for a "smart" casual look sans jacket. What you described sounds fine so long as you won't be underdressed for the event.

Maybe reach out to your photographer for ideas? Alternatively, go to a (good) menswear shop and also ask them. This way you can try on clothes to see what looks good on you, too.

I, for example, am a pretty bulky dude (6'6" and 230), so without tailoring? Rocking just a vest without a jacket would look a bit off. I think people have different styles that suit them (hehe), so find options and gather opinions. Professional opinions, ideally.

Also: congrats on the upcoming wedding! Besides what I said, it's her day, so defer to your bride on what to wear.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

RabbitMage posted:

Don't worry about being too matchy matchy. But how formal is her dress, and what is the dress code for guests?

Generally I don't think most dudes look good trying to pull off a formal waistcoat sans-jacket. It only really works at the end of the party when people ditch their jackets.

Since it's daytime in California, might want to try a mid-grey suit suit or something. Ivory/off white shirt with a burgundyish boutonniere or something? If you're less formal, go for a blazer in a similarly light color. I would shy away from a black suit.

Suit Supply, J.Crew (or J. Crew Factory) Nordstrom Rack, etc. will cover a fair amount of men's formal wear and can be affordable. Make sure it generally fits and get some basic tailoring (sleeves, pant hem), and you can look like a million bucks for under $250 if you're thrifty.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Everything is really casual. Fiancee's mom made the dress and I don't have a pic. My best man keeps joking about wearing a slayer t-shirt and a leather vest and I support this. Its going to be a very short, relaxed, come as you are affair. So I'm not really wanting to do a full suit, and honestly I'd kind of balk at paying for a good suit at this point.

My fiancee loves the vest idea, but we're open to other suggestions.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

RabbitMage posted:

I'm really late on catching up with this thread, so IDK if this will still be helpful:

But I have friends who got married in the summer in New York and the man and his friends wore dress pants with suspenders and dress shirts with bowties. I think it was grey pants, white shirt, red (or similar with pattern) tie. It was pretty drat cute and seasonally appropriate.

Sounds like it might fit SoCal in spring.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
You and a lot of your family are gonna look at pictures of you for a long time, wear a coat.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
We're ultimately not doing a full suit. Finances is a big factor. Suits are expensive, and I live in a pretty remote place. I don't think there's a specialized menswear store here (there is exactly one bridal store, and they only do dresses). And the fact I'm 5'5" and 250 pounds means there's nothing off-the-rack that's going to look right on me, so buying something plus having it tailored is just way out of budget.

Like, this is all very low key. We're in a county park in a space we rented for $100. The wedding is going to be 20 minutes long, tops. My fiancee's opted to change out of their dress after the wedding and into a great shirt/vest/tie outfit they found, so I'm going to try to find something to match that.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah, forget Ol Standard up there. You're not asking your guests to be black tie, right? You should look fly but it's outdoors and in a warm area, you don't have to wear a jacket if you don't want! Just make sure no one else is going to out dress you. Make it clear to the dads and other male guests shouldn't wear jackets.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you put people in full suits outside on an 80+ day, they will remember being miserable more than they'll remember the wedding itself.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah. I remember being at an unseasonably warm afternoon wedding in September years back, and I primarily remember how hot I was, the fact there wasn't enough seating so my boyfriend and I had to stand, and that it includes five different prayers and a sermon and went on forever.

We're going for short, sweet, and casual. Invites said "come as you are" and made note of the location and weather. The only person who might out-dress me is my dad, and I'll be sure to give him a head's up, thanks for that tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you put people in full suits outside on an 80+ day, they will remember being miserable more than they'll remember the wedding itself.

RabbitMage posted:

Yeah. I remember being at an unseasonably warm afternoon wedding in September years back, and I primarily remember how hot I was, the fact there wasn't enough seating so my boyfriend and I had to stand, and that it includes five different prayers and a sermon and went on forever.

I was in an east cost wedding in August a couple years ago, the entire bridal party was covered in sweat stains by the end of the ceremony and we had pictures scheduled for after the ceremony, so we're all sweaty and miserable in all the pictures. Some old people passed out from heat exhaustion before it even started.

Take weather into account when planning your wedding!