Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, here's something I discovered on a section of Wookieepedia I've never actually noticed (the Wookieepedia NewsNet). It's the wackiest things to appear in the EU.

I sometimes wish the main site could have things like that, a little more willing to take shots at how silly the whole thing is, like the Transformers Wiki or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

So, here's something I discovered on a section of Wookieepedia I've never actually noticed (the Wookieepedia NewsNet). It's the wackiest things to appear in the EU.

I sometimes wish the main site could have things like that, a little more willing to take shots at how silly the whole thing is, like the Transformers Wiki or something.

How is Kneesabers Dude not on that list? Honestly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You mean the guy who was in one of the less known Bantam books (when "long lost son of Palpatine" was almost as pervasive as "superweapon of the week"), then showed up ten years later in the NJO? He didn't just have kneesabers; he also had elbowsabers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Palpatine? more like Pimpitine. How many bastards did this guy spawn? I mean, he did look like David Bowie in his youth...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Considering his anatomical deficiencies (NSFW? I have no idea), it's remarkable he was able to father anything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The mans obsession with phallic super weapons in those comics suddenly make a lot more sense.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Hey, don't forget the two Death Stars. Need something to hang below the Sun Crusher.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, it'd be two Death Stars and a Galaxy Gun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That ROTS parody trailer with the guy wheeling off the terrible super weapon names, I really do think the Deathtickle was actually a pretty good one.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
Today in class I started thinking about LOTF and I realized that it's even worse than before. 3 years and 9 books and nothing was advanced, the only real change is the Jedi are no longer on Coruscant. Who shits this stuff out?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another issue with LOTF is how it sprt of brushes aside more or less the entire New Jedi Order series. Now, the NJO was by no means a great series, but you'd think it would have more of a lasting impact. That seems to be what they were aiming for with the series; a big shake-up that would form the basis for the next set of stories.

The problem is that it feels a little wasted. I mean, they rebuild Coruscant to more or less exactly the way it was even before the Dark Nest trilogy, don't they?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Another issue with LOTF is how it sprt of brushes aside more or less the entire New Jedi Order series. Now, the NJO was by no means a great series, but you'd think it would have more of a lasting impact. That seems to be what they were aiming for with the series; a big shake-up that would form the basis for the next set of stories.

The problem is that it feels a little wasted. I mean, they rebuild Coruscant to more or less exactly the way it was even before the Dark Nest trilogy, don't they?

They make a reference every other book or so to the scuzzy-underworld-that-nobody-visits being coral-encrusted.

But since the entire city perpetually just builds straight up on top of previous buildings (:wtc:) they just said gently caress it and built over it or something.

Which, incidentally, is something I never got about Coruscant in general in the first place, since it seems to vary from book to book. Some books talk about perpetually building up, some talk about how people haven't been to the surface level in hundreds if not thousands of years, some talk about having sub-surface hidey-holes for various secret meetings, and that's even before the NJO drop-the-orbital-platforms-on-the-planet's-surface stuff. How far can you build up before the underlying structure just collapses under it's own weight? If the orbital drops wiped poo poo out down to the surface level, did they rebuild those areas straight from the bottom up? Use some sort of floating platforms and build poo poo on top of that? Is the entire top-level of Coruscant just held together with repulsors and duct tape? :iiam:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Is the entire top-level of Coruscant just held together with repulsors and duct tape? :iiam:

I think you mean Spacer's tape, and yes it probably is.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Beardless posted:

Every. loving. Page. I click on something like that, and it's true. :negative:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Beardless posted:

It's because of stupid things like this that I believe the fake ones.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

movax posted:

Every. loving. Page. I click on something like that, and it's true. :negative:

thrawn527 posted:

It's because of stupid things like this that I believe the fake ones.

Mesh tape
Space tape
Engine tape
Enjoy.

gently caress this song is amazing

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Beardless posted:

Space tape

I don't know whether space tape or space carrot is my favorite.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know whether space tape or space carrot is my favorite.

But they aren't eaten by Space rabbits!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They could have made an effort with Bacon, called it "space bacon" or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I would have called It Noca-b.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Caf or space coffee?

Also, hot chocolate.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

arioch posted:

Caf or space coffee?

Also, hot chocolate.

Both.
Caf
Coffee
That surprises me, I'd only heard of Caf and it's variations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ordered a copy of The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, a few days back. Should be a nice read to unwind from the horrible FOTJ series. Despite the fact that the SOTE multimedia project was a testbed for marketing the prequels it wasn't at all bad. The majority of the game hasn't aged really well, though; It is an early N64 game. It'll be really nice to harken back to a time before anyone knew about Karen Traviss or Abeloth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had the the Shadows Of the Empire novel. It was okay. I never played the game or read the comic, but I've heard they were good as well.

Prince Xizor is probably the sleaziest character they've ever had, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much, and the comic is pretty much 'Fett/Rendar is just so waifu~' but the art is nice and it is old simple Star Wars action where billions of people don't get killed in a massive conflict and no bug orgies force cthulu argghagagaghahadhgh

Chal
Jan 9, 2011

SONIC
(5 moves of)
DOOM!

Casimir Radon posted:

I ordered a copy of The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, a few days back. Should be a nice read to unwind from the horrible FOTJ series. Despite the fact that the SOTE multimedia project was a testbed for marketing the prequels it wasn't at all bad. The majority of the game hasn't aged really well, though; It is an early N64 game. It'll be really nice to harken back to a time before anyone knew about Karen Traviss or Abeloth.

Was FOTJ that bad? I'm just finishing up LOTF right now (on Invincible) and was going to move onto that next.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

Chal posted:

Was FOTJ that bad? I'm just finishing up LOTF right now (on Invincible) and was going to move onto that next.

It's the worse poo poo I have ever read. It is nine books of wandering around and nothing that movies the EU forward.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Chal posted:

I don't think it was any better or worse than LOTF, but I dont think either series was very good. And yeah, nothing important really happens in FOTJ. If you made it through LOTF you might as well just read them I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that soured me against LOTF was the fact that it was fairly promising when it started. It had a serviceable, if not totally unique, premise which could have worked if they'd just kept the "civil war with Corellia" thing at the centre of the story.

I've not read FOTJ but I've heard that it's also kind of a let down, insofar as the first few books made it seem like it was going to address and correct all the problems with the LOTF books, but in the end it went in a really stupid direction instead.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
My problem was that Jacen was set up to be the main post-NJO hero and then LOTF just decided to make him rehash all of Anakin Skywalker's mistakes for no valid reason whatsoever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Civil War in LOTF was ruined because both sides were being idiots and somehow the Skywalkers and Solos never seemed to notice or acknowledge this in the first book and instead lined up around party lines.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 3, 2012

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

WhyteRyce posted:

The Civil War in LOTF was ruined because both sides were being idiots and somehow the Skywalkers and Solos never seemed to notice or acknowledge this in the first book and instead lined up around party lines.

Pretty much if Jacen's parents had just followed the law and not involved themselves in the Correllian insurrection the war would have been over before it started. Since they had to ride the moral high ground or whatever, it kicked off a war which killed hundreds of thousands at least.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A guy from LucasArts has set up a kickstarter to do a "spiritual successor" to the X-Wing game series. Starfighter combat, power management, missions that assemble into a coherent storyline, and even full multiplayer.

It won't be Star Wars branded, but his intent is apparently to get back to what everyone loved about X-Wing and TIE Fighter. The kickstarter is linked on the front page of Wookieepedia, in their "In the News" section.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Might be awesome, might end up as just another space sim no one pays any attention to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Metal Loaf posted:

The thing that soured me against LOTF was the fact that it was fairly promising when it started. It had a serviceable, if not totally unique, premise which could have worked if they'd just kept the "civil war with Corellia" thing at the centre of the story.

I've not read FOTJ but I've heard that it's also kind of a let down, insofar as the first few books made it seem like it was going to address and correct all the problems with the LOTF books, but in the end it went in a really stupid direction instead.

My big issue with FOTJ is that there's a basic plotline that's really serviceable and fun. "There is a world with Sith on it who haven't got space travel, they now have space travel, cue a war." That's fine and works, it leads to a confrontation at the end where Luke finds a Sith Lord that's as powerful and smart as him and needs to beat him.

Awesome, sign me up. We can even have a romance plotline between a Jedi and one of the Sith and come to some sort of resolution at the end where it turns out that whilst a lot of these Sith are warped dudes, a lot of them just aren't evil for the sake of being mustache twirling villains and can be reasoned with etc.

The issue is the series then inserts a Big Bad who's some hyper force being that can regenerate a million times and the Sith become an afterthought. The issue is that the resolution of a plotline involving some superpowerful hyper force thing is pretty much doomed to suck because its motivations for doing stuff are going to be incomprehensible at best and at worst stupidly simplistic.

The sad part is the series probably wasn't in a bad place before the last two books came out. They served to basically neuter any threat the Sith posed, make the likable female protagonist an imbecile and ensure that the galaxy returned to beautiful status quo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The premise would be serviceable and fun if they weren't busy driving all the service and fun out of the franchise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wishing you all a happy Star Wars Day.

May the Fourth be with you.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Powered Descent posted:

Wishing you all a happy Star Wars Day.

May the Fourth be with you.

Is it that time of year already?

Tomorrow sounds like a good day to start my next major Star Wars marathon. This time, I'll watch every Star Wars production, in order of internal chronology (and then in order of release, when the timeline is unclear [Specifically, The Clone Wars]).

Which, I assume would be the following (Please correct me if I'm wrong):

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Clone Wars (Tartakovsky series)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
Star Wars: The Clone Wars series
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars: Droids
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Holiday Special
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
Star Wars: Ewoks
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

I will, of course, be watching the original unmodified theatrical releases of the OT because anything else would be heresy. Also, I haven't bought the Blu-Rays yet.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ Be careful with the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. There are one or two episodes right at the end which are definitely after the CG Clone wars series (as in they lead almost directly into ROTS).

I'd also question the sanity of watching the Prequels and the Ewok movies, but as long as you're getting something good after them (The OT and ROTJ) you should be fine.

I'm not completely sure of timings, but considering that The Clone Wars is now in season 3 I think that you're looking at something close to 36 hours of material here.

VV EDIT: :gonk: VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 4, 2012

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Bene Elim posted:

I'm not completely sure of timings, but considering that The Clone Wars is now in season 3 I think that you're looking at something close to 36 hours of material here.

Season 4 just finished - at 22 episodes per season running at 22 minutes each, that makes over 32 hours for that TV show alone. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ah, but how many of those hours are actual Star Wars without the embarassing silly?