Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Deterrence isn't cheap, but it's sure as poo poo cheaper than fighting a war.

I should've been more specific at mentioning, I was referring to the B-2 / B-58 posts above mine. A deterrent bomber can be worth its weight in gold many times over, even and especially if it's never actually used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

Interestingly, just saw an article about that the other day;
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/lockheeds-senior-peg-the-forgotten-stealth-bomber-1534057907

Not sure how accurate it is (just briefly skimmed it), but hey.

That article is actually near directly quoting from Skunk Works in a few instances. I picked it up when it was mentioned here on sale, but it's definitely a worthwhile read for an in-house background on the development of the U-2, F-117, and SR-71 with a few smaller sections on Skunkworks projects like the Sea Shadow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Crimean cat says GTFO

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slamburger posted:

I remember the amazing stat that B-2 bombers cost more than their weight in gold, not even counting the R&D.

The flyaway cost of a B-2 in 1997 dollars was listed in wiki at $737M (total program unit cost was over 2 billion each). Empty weight of a B-2 is 150,000 lbs, and the price of gold in the mid 90s was about $300 / oz, so...

150,000 pounds of a B-2 = $737 Million
150,000 pounds of solid gold = $720 Million

It's actually more than that. The B-2 crash loss in 2008 was estimated at $1.4b.

Of course, then the Spirit of Washington got hosed up something royal, but it wasn't a total loss...it just took a little over THREE loving YEARS to get it back to operational status. A single plane. Damaged in Nov 2010, just put back into service last December.

Yeah everybody, let's build 2000 stealth fighters, the Naval version of which can't be repaired while underway because it's just ~sooo advanced~. I foresee nothing going wrong with this.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 4, 2014

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Slamburger posted:

I remember the amazing stat that B-2 bombers cost more than their weight in gold, not even counting the R&D.

The flyaway cost of a B-2 in 1997 dollars was listed in wiki at $737M (total program unit cost was over 2 billion each). Empty weight of a B-2 is 150,000 lbs, and the price of gold in the mid 90s was about $300 / oz, so...

150,000 pounds of a B-2 = $737 Million
150,000 pounds of solid gold = $720 Million

According to my calculator, the Basilica of St. Peter cost 324,503 pounds of gold (3.5 gold grams per Ducat, 42m ducats total cost) in a century and a half. A couple of B-2 bombers, basically :v:

I suppose B-2s get frescos of Michelangelo in the cockpit or something to justify the cost, and joysticks chiseled from the finest ivory. Seriously though, what the gently caress costs so much?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cippalippus posted:

According to my calculator, the Basilica of St. Peter cost 324,503 pounds of gold (3.5 gold grams per Ducat, 42m ducats total cost) in a century and a half. A couple of B-2 bombers, basically :v:

I suppose B-2s get frescos of Michelangelo in the cockpit or something to justify the cost, and joysticks chiseled from the finest ivory. Seriously though, what the gently caress costs so much?

They're nuclear capable stealth strategic bombers that integrate top secret technology.

There's not a single word in that sentence that isn't expensive as gently caress.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Alaan posted:

On the upside, all the pics are showing the Russians without mags in the guns

Not any more. :ohdear:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

They're nuclear capable stealth strategic bombers that integrate top secret technology.

There's not a single word in that sentence that isn't expensive as gently caress.

Has someone ever added up lifetime maintenance costs too? They need special hangars, special training for ground crew (I've seen public pics of the dudes in bunny suits working on surfaces), special materials' handling and probably a whole host of other classified special needs.

stealthin' ain't easy

e: But, for all the world knows, we have an undetectable* way to deliver a shitload of conventional or nuclear hurt anywhere on the globe.

* - some dude watching the runway who hops on IRC and goes 'hey bombers just launched'

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

movax posted:

Has someone ever added up lifetime maintenance costs too? They need special hangars, special training for ground crew (I've seen public pics of the dudes in bunny suits working on surfaces), special materials' handling and probably a whole host of other classified special needs.

stealthin' ain't easy

Stealth technology is the avoidance of the enemy's defence by making all the user's money disappear.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Ran across this in a tumblr today, said "what the poo poo" out loud.

Reckon that is a Sukhoi T-4 with one of their enormous anti-shipping missiles on it? It looks small to be a Valkyrie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Slo-Tek posted:

Ran across this in a tumblr today, said "what the poo poo" out loud.

Reckon that is a Sukhoi T-4 with one of their enormous anti-shipping missiles on it? It looks small to be a Valkyrie.

Yep. You can especially tell by the rear landing gear wheel configuration, definitely a T-4.

Maybe an AS-6 missile? Can't really tell.

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cippalippus posted:

Seriously though, what the gently caress costs so much?

Pretty much every part is unique to that aircraft, and every part has to be made to incredibly exact tolerances. They might machine 10,000 proprietary bolts, only to keep 210 of them (1 per airframe and 9 backups). These bolts are essentially regular bolts, but since they are going on the B2 they are going to have to be 100% perfect. This means an engineer spending an hour on each with callipers and running each one through an x-ray a dozen times looking for the tiniest flaw or blemish.

Another problem is that they likely had to invent and fabricate a lot of different tools to even work on this thing, and a lot of new manufacturing techniques were developed during production. Add to that "military top secret contract" (as mentioned above) and you get the usual inflation on everything associated with the program.

Also they developed a new RAM for the B-2 and from what I understand that poo poo is super-duper top secret and even a paint chip that got stuck to the bottom of your boot could land you in a whole heap of trouble. I'm sure when the B2 crashed and burned they made sure that nobody with Chinese heritage or with a name ending in "ski" was allowed anywhere near the site. Apparently the 117 that was shot down in Bosnia had Russian and Chinese engineers crawling all over it before the wreckage hit the ground, and that poo poo was "old hat" by then.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of B-2s, it's really kind of surreal seeing the tooling for the B-2 just sitting out at Davis-Monthan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The B-2 Spirit: So technologically revolutionary that it costs you just as much as a new plane to properly dispose of one that crashed.

Also, if you wonder why the B-2s have names, it's because the Air Force is so vain and hates the Navy so much that they felt that if the plane costs as much as a warship it should be *named* like one.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 4, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of B-2s, it's really kind of surreal seeing the tooling for the B-2 just sitting out at Davis-Monthan.

My favourite B-2 story is how the air force took great pains to make sure nobody could see the back end during the unveiling, but a news chopper flew over and took pictures.

Edit: didn't something similar happen to the Ohio class and its prop?

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blistex posted:

Edit: didn't something similar happen to the Ohio class and its prop?

Yes:

BUT, evidently the Ohios are being refitted for pumpjets when they come up for maintenance, so for all anyone knows, the propeller there might not have been covered up simply because it was about to be removed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Has procedure always been to cover the prop with a tarp and they just forgot this time, or did that incident cause them to start?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blistex posted:

Has procedure always been to cover the prop with a tarp and they just forgot this time, or did that incident cause them to start?

Generally they've always been covered up - with a *really* large tarpaulin when not being worked on or left sitting in dry dock, or covered by a covered scaffolding when being maintained/repaired.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seeing the prop reminds me of a story from when I was a kid. I guess it was around 1986 or so. My dad wouldn't buy a VCR from Toshiba because I guess they helped the US design some propeller design that they later sold to "those ruskie bastards." Was that a real thing or was my dad just a loonie?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Breaky posted:

Seeing the prop reminds me of a story from when I was a kid. I guess it was around 1986 or so. My dad wouldn't buy a VCR from Toshiba because I guess they helped the US design some propeller design that they later sold to "those ruskie bastards." Was that a real thing or was my dad just a loonie?

Not the screw, the machine to make the screw.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-08-25/local/me-3848_1_soviet-proposals-toshiba-sales-soviet-union

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Breaky posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba-Kongsberg_scandal

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Breaky posted:

Pretty sure they just sold precision milling machines that could be used to work hard materials to make props out of.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, if you wonder why the B-2s have names, it's because the Air Force is so vain and hates the Navy so much that they felt that if the plane costs as much as a warship it should be *named* like one.

We've been naming planes for a long time:

The reason we went to the official "Spirit of..." names was pure mercenary enterprise: every Congressman knows if they throw enough money at the navy, eventually they'll get a ship named after their district (or even better, themselves.) The Air Force was hoping to pull the same shenanigans.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hah! Thanks guys, never bothered to look into that ever before. Blast from the past there.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Interestingly, just saw an article about that the other day;
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/lockheeds-senior-peg-the-forgotten-stealth-bomber-1534057907

Not sure how accurate it is (just briefly skimmed it), but hey.

The linked article posted:

The Air Force added the low level penetration requirement to the ATB program, resulting in added complexity and weight to the B-2 design.

This sounds like a really dumb idea. :cripes:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seems there's been a few staged gunfights as well. This thread is now more relevant than ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MRC48B posted:

This sounds like a really dumb idea. :cripes:

Especially when you aren't supposed to fly the B-2 in humid conditions. It's a plane that was designed to drop B83s on extremely-high-value strategic targets, a mission that more or less became obsolete the second the ICBM was invented. The only reason to keep a bomber force at all is that it provides a natural 'pause' after an initial exchange with missiles. Except unlike submarines, your bomber force can only be kept aloft as long as the tankers have fuel to give out and/or you have friendly/allied bases to land at.

France and England have learned bombers aren't worth it, the Russians are slowly coming to the realization that large fleets of heavy bombers is stupid, but the ~Spirit of LeMay~ is still alive and well in the Air Force.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 4, 2014

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
But the triad!

Really, at least stealth aircraft have more use outside of a nuclear slugfest than nuclear missile subs (except on the rare occasion of slinging tomahawks) and ICBMs. Cruise missiles, even if a stealth version existed, have their limitations, and there is a certain value to being able to truck an assload of munitions downtown night one without having to send a dozen F-117s.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Serious question: Was LeMay the Antichrist?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Blistex posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_LeMay#Air_Force_Academy_Exemplar

Air Force Academy cadets think he was a pretty cool guy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Blistex posted:

He's no Thomas Power.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Of course, he wrangled the modern day equivalent of easily a few trillion dollars fearmongering in the 50s and 60s. He's the ideal all Air Force brass aspire to.

But he was just a zealot who wanted more toys than the other children. If you want to truly get to know a Kool-Aid drinker, read up on LeMay's adjutant-turned-SAC Commander, Gen. Thomas Power. It's like Hoover and Tolson without the crossdressing and gay sex.

LeMay was certainly a cocksucker, though - http://curtis-lemay.tripod.com/

In the 1950's, under Eisenhower, LeMay had the authority to order a nuclear strike without presidential authorization if the president could not be contacted. That option was extended down to General Thomas Power, head of SAC, whom LeMay himself described as "not stable" and a "sadist."

Source: http://bit.ly/1gOcJMP

---

"Yeah, that guy's a fuckin' nutjob, but he did his job well back in World War II so by Air Force tradition, until we catch him fuckin' a guy or doing something against the rules we've gotta keep promoting him. Plus he's hitched his career to mine, so if he ever went down it'd reflect poorly on me, and that doesn't even count all the dirt he's got."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 4, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Oh, got LeMay and Powers mixed up. I'd like to revise the question.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

xthetenth posted:

I'm not sure. Ask Grumman, they've had two test pilots shoot themselves down iirc. (Also the starfighters thing is more to say the Luftwaffe would have really low expectations.)

McD/Boeing doesn't count own goals. The F-15's perfect record is "no losses to ememy fire." One fighter-model F-15 (as opposed to Mudhens, which get shot down relatively often, mostly by AA) was shot down by his wingman accidentally pulling the trigger on a real Sidewinder while play-fighting.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the 1950's, under Eisenhower, LeMay had the authority to order a nuclear strike without presidential authorization if the president could not be contacted. That option was extended down to General Thomas Power, head of SAC, whom LeMay himself described as "not stable" and a "sadist."
Dr. Strangelove was an understatement.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Delivery McGee posted:

McD/Boeing doesn't count own goals. The F-15's perfect record is "no losses to ememy fire." One fighter-model F-15 (as opposed to Mudhens, which get shot down relatively often, mostly by AA) was shot down by his wingman accidentally pulling the trigger on a real Sidewinder while play-fighting.

Still not as nuts as the F11F shooting himself down with his own guns.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

xthetenth posted:

Still not as nuts as the F11F shooting himself down with his own guns.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The F-11 Tiger is noted for being the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down. On 21 September 1956, during a test-firing of its 20 mm (.79 in) cannons, pilot Tom Attridge fired two bursts midway through a shallow dive. As the velocity and trajectory of the cannon rounds decayed, they ultimately crossed paths with the Tiger as it continued its descent, disabling it and forcing Attridge to crash-land the aircraft; he survived.

I'd like to see a diagram of that.

Edit: The F-15E's only air-to-air victory is also somewhat hilarious:

quote:

On 14 February [1991], an F-15E scored its only air-to-air kill: a Mil Mi-24 helicopter. While responding to a request for help by US Special Forces, five Iraqi helicopters were spotted. The lead F-15E of two acquired a helicopter via its FLIR in the process of unloading Iraqi soldiers, and released a GBU-10 bomb. The F-15E crew thought the bomb had missed its target and were preparing to use a Sidewinder when the helicopter was destroyed. The Special Forces team estimated that the Hind was roughly 800 feet (240 m) over the ground when the 2,000 lb (910 kg) bomb hit its target.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 4, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Delivery McGee posted:

I'd like to see a diagram of that.

Ask and ye shall receive!
http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.hk/2011/09/fighter-that-shot-itself-down.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

:stare: Well that's a stroke of bad luck.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

this one:
http://www.aerofiles.com/tiger-tail.html
has a picture of the shell that was found in the engine

e: also

http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.hk/2011/09/fighter-that-shot-itself-down.html posted:

Subsequent examination of the aircraft showed that Attridge had flown the same test profile earlier that day and what was thought to be large ding from an ejected casing on the vertical fin actually turned out to be a projectile hit- apparently Attridge had grazed himself on the first test flight of the day and gotten away with not shooting himself down!

And what happened to Attridge?

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/05/25/the-plane-that-shot-itself-down/ posted:

At this point three of the rounds that he had fired at the higher altitude, which had been slowed by air resistance and which had curved towards the Earth under the effect of gravity, struck the aeroplane’s windshield, nose cone and one of the engine intakes. With reduced engine power available Attridge was unable to return to Grumman’s Long Island airfield and when the engine finally died he was forced to crash land, 800 metres short of the runway.

Despite the unused fuel catching fire, and unfired ammunition from the other cannons “cooking off“, Attridge survived with only a broken leg and three damaged vertebrae; had the cannons been armed with explosive rounds, as would normally be the case, it is unlikely that he would have survived. Attridge later went on to become the project manager for LM-3, the first Apollo Lunar Module to be rated for human spaceflight, which was used as part of the Apollo 9 mission.

Also:

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/05/25/the-plane-that-shot-itself-down/ posted:

In 1973 another Grumman test pilot, Pete Purvis, also shot down his own plane,* this time with a dummy AIM-7E Sparrow III air-to-air missile that pitched upwards after being released from its hardpoint and struck the wing of the F-14 Tomcat that Purvis was flying. Both Purvis and his Weapons Systems Officer ejected safely.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: The F-15E's only air-to-air victory is also somewhat hilarious:

An A-10 had a similarly hilarious overkill victory too. Couldn't get a tone on an Iraqi helicopter with his sidewinder so he fired up the GAU.

quote:

On the final pass, I shot about 300 bullets at him. That's a pretty good burst. On the first pass, maybe 75 rounds. The second pass, I put enough bullets down, it looked like I hit with a bomb.

We tried to ID the helicopter after we were done and it was just in a bunch of little pieces, so we can't tell what type it was.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-02-08/news/mn-937_1_air-combat