Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hoooly poo poo, I have never come this close to hurling my 3DS, let alone anything into the nearest wall before playing this Devil Survivor 2 mission (it's the Mizar boss fight).

I was literally a couple of attacks away from clearing the map (which was already not all that easy), but my MC got locked down by two enemies with Chaos Wave. My MC literally did not get one turn to the enemies' 3-4 turns each. Nobody else could help out since you have to split up your teammates across polar opposite ends of the map, plus the path to one side is one tile-wide; good luck if an enemy manages to block that off. I don't know what black magic works behind the scenes in the utterly insane Turn Order mechanics in the Devil Survivor games, but what in the gently caress Atlus?

It doesn't help too much that the story still isn't all that interesting to me despite how I'm on the third-to-last day and I hate almost every character save for two or three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd say that was the hardest mission in the game. When I did it I came down to basically only one or more turns left before the time limit was up.

One thing you can do to help out your turn order woes is to have a few Genmas or Femmes. Or Devil Flash to jump around at will. Also Jungo with Assassinate, Pierce, and a Python can do wonders for sniping everything on the map too if you position him just right.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MechaX posted:

Hoooly poo poo, I have never come this close to hurling my 3DS, let alone anything into the nearest wall before playing this Devil Survivor 2 mission (it's the Mizar boss fight).

It doesn't help too much that the story still isn't all that interesting to me despite how I'm on the third-to-last day and I hate almost every character save for two or three.

If you equip your MC with Null Phys or a skill of its ilk you can't die to Mizar except the final tentacles, and even then it's a hard sell for them.

Also, out of curiosity, which characters would those be

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

alcharagia posted:

If you equip your MC with Null Phys or a skill of its ilk you can't die to Mizar except the final tentacles, and even then it's a hard sell for them.

Everyone that isn't Jungo probably. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Alteisen posted:

I liked the Anguished One. :saddowns:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alteisen posted:

Jungo's great, but I really preferred Jungo.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say that was the hardest mission in the game. When I did it I came down to basically only one or more turns left before the time limit was up.

One thing you can do to help out your turn order woes is to have a few Genmas or Femmes. Or Devil Flash to jump around at will. Also Jungo with Assassinate, Pierce, and a Python can do wonders for sniping everything on the map too if you position him just right.

To beat the boss, I just slapped Null Phys and Fire Dance on my MC and hoped to God that nothing locked me down. An Abaddon team was really close to running the battle beyond the turn limit, but I took care of it somehow and got past the stage with only a few turns to spare. As I'm getting a little bit farther in the next day, I'll keep my eye out for more Genma/Femme class demons.

Interestingly, I was able to use the game's borked Turn Order system against an "optional" boss. I loaded up Al Saiduq with Abaddon and Zouchouten and cheesed the gently caress out of Shiva with Holy Dance and Double Up. Shiva didn't even manage to get one action in since he first appeared. Either that character has high speed, or that is legitimately one way to lock down an enemy for multiple turns on end.

alcharagia posted:

Makoto, Jungo, and sometimes Joe. The Anguished One is kinda growing on me though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MechaX posted:

Either that character has high speed, or that is legitimately one way to lock down an enemy for multiple turns on end.

Pretty sure that character actually does have higher speed compared to everyone else. And yeah, you can constantly delay opponent actions by attacking them. Constantly attack them and they'll never get a turn. I think that's a necessary strategy for the hardest boss in the original Devil Survivor, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, that's one of many reasons why Tyrants are so great.

While Jungo was undoubtedly the best character, I always got a kick out of Airi just for her :rant: sprite. I think I was honestly OK or at least indifferent to the rest of the cast, except for Keita. gently caress that guy.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MechaX posted:

Interestingly, I was able to use the game's borked Turn Order system against an "optional" boss. I loaded up Al Saiduq with Abaddon and Zouchouten and cheesed the gently caress out of Shiva with Holy Dance and Double Up. Shiva didn't even manage to get one action in since he first appeared. Either that character has high speed, or that is legitimately one way to lock down an enemy for multiple turns on end.

Both. Abbadon (and other Tyrants) delay the enemy's turn after an attack, and AO is slightly faster than every other leader (65 compared to 50)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MechaX posted:

Makoto, Jungo, and sometimes Joe. The Anguished One is kinda growing on me though.

I like you. You have good taste.

(AO does in fact have a higher turn speed order than all other characters, which, combined with his sheer unkillability, makes him basically the best tank in the entire game.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Both. Abbadon (and other Tyrants) delay the enemy's turn after an attack, and AO is slightly faster than every other leader (65 compared to 50)

Abaddon's not a Tyrant. Zouchouten's Kishin ability combined with the extra range granted by Abaddon's Vile racial skill is a great way to constantly delay enemy turns though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't that the other way around? I thought Chaos Wave/Breath had a higher turn cost for the team with the Vile demon. Pairing one with a Kishin won't "delay" enemy turns so much that it will hopefully let you kill them in one round.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonatrix posted:

Jungo's great, but I really preferred Jungo.

If Overclocked 2 doesn't let me field 2 Jungos, I'm gonna be pissed. :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I think the Catherine thread is gone so I'll post it here: FinestKO is about to start streaming the competitive Catherine tournament at Norcal Install here.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I finished Persona 4 last year, started 3 FES earlier this year, got about 2 hours into it (unlocked Tartarus basically) and decided I didn't have time to play another one of those games. I changed my mind and picked it back up but there's some stuff I'm unclear on and it seems like the game isn't going to explain it. Once my team is tired is it a good idea to just burn the poo poo out of them? What I'd assume is that once they're tired there aren't degrees of tired right? So once they're at that state I may as well just keep going until we have no SP left then leave. It mentioned something about me possibly losing days on my main character though which seems bad and something I'd like to avoid? I'm on the 23rd of April which is the second night you can go into Tartarus by choice I think, my guys are tired already from the previous night but I figured I may as well go back in and try to get as far up as possible. Managed to get up to level 8 and then died to the 3 hands miniboss, I think that's about the limit when they're missing so much because of the tiredness. I also didn't save because your party leaves if you go down to the lobby so I have a bit to do again now. I guess I'm asking if I should go with my natural inclination to burn through as much of the tower as possible at every opportunity or not, in P4 I did every dungeon in one day but obviously that's not possible in this. Maybe I'm trying to do it too fast?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

thebardyspoon posted:

So I finished Persona 4 last year, started 3 FES earlier this year, got about 2 hours into it (unlocked Tartarus basically) and decided I didn't have time to play another one of those games. I changed my mind and picked it back up but there's some stuff I'm unclear on and it seems like the game isn't going to explain it. Once my team is tired is it a good idea to just burn the poo poo out of them? What I'd assume is that once they're tired there aren't degrees of tired right? So once they're at that state I may as well just keep going until we have no SP left then leave. It mentioned something about me possibly losing days on my main character though which seems bad and something I'd like to avoid? I'm on the 23rd of April which is the second night you can go into Tartarus by choice I think, my guys are tired already from the previous night but I figured I may as well go back in and try to get as far up as possible. Managed to get up to level 8 and then died to the 3 hands miniboss, I think that's about the limit when they're missing so much because of the tiredness. I also didn't save because your party leaves if you go down to the lobby so I have a bit to do again now. I guess I'm asking if I should go with my natural inclination to burn through as much of the tower as possible at every opportunity or not, in P4 I did every dungeon in one day but obviously that's not possible in this. Maybe I'm trying to do it too fast?

When your party members get Tired, your accuracy and evasion goes down and you take more damage. If you persist, they eventually become Sick and all their stats plummet. In either case, when you return to the ground floor, the character will leave the party. They'll then be unavailable for a couple of days (if Tired) or the better part of a week or more (if Sick). The exception is the main character: if he gets Tired or Sick, he can either go see Mr. Edogawa, who'll give you a pick-me-up, or use a bathroom, which has a chance to increase your status. If you're still ill come evening, you can't do any evening activities.

By about the halfway mark, you won't have to worry about your characters' conditions that much, since the amount of time they can spend in Tartarus increases as the game goes on. If you go for a massive grind session, it'll happen, but by and large, you can fight as much as you want. At the start, however, don't push your characters too hard. Get a couple of levels, find some treasure, then call it a day and you'll be fine. In vanilla P3, you used to be able to fight for as long as you wanted the night before a full moon, but I think they changed that for FES, right?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The exception is the main character: if he gets Tired or Sick, he can either go see Mr. Edogawa, who'll give you a pick-me-up, or use a bathroom, which has a chance to increase your status. If you're still ill come evening, you can't do any evening activities.

Note that seeing Edogawa doesn't actually improve your status, it just gives you a courage boost. It's sometimes worth keeping your main character tired so you can get free courage boosts every day, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since you can visit Tartarus during the night, there's no reason not to spread out your visits during the first few months. At least more than P4, which encouraged you to do it all at once thanks to only being able to be entered during the daytime.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Note that seeing Edogawa doesn't actually improve your status, it just gives you a courage boost. It's sometimes worth keeping your main character tired so you can get free courage boosts every day, though.

Really? I was sure it had a chance to improve your health. In fairness, it's been a good few years since I last played.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

They'll then be unavailable for a couple of days (if Tired)

Huh, weird. I went in the first night I could and got up to level 4, went down and saved and they left because they were tired but I could take them in the next night just fine (they bitched but still came) and I managed to get up to 10 before dying even with the stat loss without them becoming sick so it seems pretty generous. So if I do that again but just save instead of trying to fight the hand miniboss that'll probably be fine for a bit right?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I read that you can choose between a courage boost and a status restoration.

The tiredness thing and whether I was going too fast is pretty much all I wanted to know really so thanks guys, I played Persona 4 mostly blind so I'm trying to do that with this too. It'll probably work out fine as long as there aren't too many missable things.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I remember that there was a workaround to Tired party members leaving Tartarus if you're the kind of person who likes to get all his grinding down in one or two nights (like me) and study/arcade game the rest. You let your Tired guys auto-explore the current floor (via Square menu? I think), and let them get in a fight with a shadow without you, then take the stairs to go up a floor. Anyone engaged in a battle won't follow you up when you change floors, but will instead auto-exit and be waiting for you at the base.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

fount of knowledge posted:

I remember that there was a workaround to Tired party members leaving Tartarus if you're the kind of person who likes to get all his grinding down in one or two nights (like me) and study/arcade game the rest. You let your Tired guys auto-explore the current floor (via Square menu? I think), and let them get in a fight with a shadow without you, then take the stairs to go up a floor. Anyone engaged in a battle won't follow you up when you change floors, but will instead auto-exit and be waiting for you at the base.

Are you guys playing FES or P3P? Don't think I ever had an issue with this on the latter and I am around 2/3 in.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, P3P changed it so that you can dungeon grind forever in spite of being Tired.

e: Oh, whoops, listen to those guys below.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 27, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

oblomov posted:

Are you guys playing FES or P3P? Don't think I ever had an issue with this on the latter and I am around 2/3 in.

One of the changes they made to P3P was that, if you spent enough time in Tartarus, your party members wouldn't get tired until the next day. They'd all keep the same condition while you're exploring the dungeon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

oblomov posted:

It's an FES thing. In the original you could do it all on the last night beforehand and in P3P I think they only got tired after you went back to the dorm. They might have bailed if you changed floors with them dead as well, but it's been a while.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Index Holdings (Atlus's parent company) just filed for bankruptcy. They were also being investigated for fraudulent accounting earlier this month.

http://japan.cnet.com/news/business/35033951 (Google Translated)
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7195445.html (Google Translated)

It shouldn't affect immediate releases like SMT4 and Dragon's Crown. Everything else remains to be seen. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Index Holdings (Atlus's parent company) just filed for bankruptcy. They were also being investigated for fraudulent accounting earlier this month.

It shouldn't affect immediate releases like SMT4 and Dragon's Crown. Everything else remains to be seen. :(

gently caress :(

Atlus wasn't always owned by Index though right? Can't they go back to being owned by someone else? I think since Index took over there hasn't been a single Persona game too.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gyoru posted:

Aw man :(

Hopefully Atlus can be bought by a bigger company? :shobon:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All those commenters that were google translated seem to think Sony or Nintendo will buy them for some reason?

It's also heartwarming to see google translated versions of WHAT IS HAPPENING TO PERSONA 5!! From Japanese gamers

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

All those commenters that were google translated seem to think Sony or Nintendo will buy them for some reason?

It's also heartwarming to see google translated versions of WHAT IS HAPPENING TO PERSONA 5!! From Japanese gamers

:negative:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

gently caress :(

Atlus wasn't always owned by Index though right? Can't they go back to being owned by someone else? I think since Index took over there hasn't been a single Persona game too.

I do not think that Atlus as a company really exists; It was just a brand by Index.

I sure hope I am wrong on this. Depressing news all around. :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 27, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not think that Atlus as a company really exists; It was just a brand by Index.

I sure hope I am wrong on this. Depressing news all around. :(

quote:

On 21 November 2006, Index Holdings announced the acquisition of Atlus Co., Ltd. beginning on 30 October 2006 and closed on 20 November 2006 via the purchase of 7.7 million (54.93%) stocks (77,000 votes/54.96% voting rights). Atlus Co., Ltd. became a consolidated Index Holdings subsidiary as of 29 November 2006.[4]"

On 15 April 2010, Index Holdings announced ATLUS Co., Ltd. became a wholly owned subsidiary of Index Holdings via share exchange, effective on 10 May 2010.[5][6]

On 30 August 2010, Index Holdings announced its merger with ATLUS Co., Ltd. and Index Corporation, with Index Holdings becoming the surviving company, effective on 1 October 2010.[7][8][9] After the merger, Index Corporation would continue to operate ATLUS's business under the ATLUS brand.[10] Though this had caused concern among fans about the future of Atlus, the CEO of Atlus, Shinichi Suzuki affirmed that Atlus will continue to provide the "finest quality game experiences possible" and the merger only "further strengthens the foundation of Atlus, both in Japan and here in the United States".[11]

On 9 November 2010, Index Holdings (株式会社インデックス・ホールディングス) announced its renaming to Index Corporation (株式会社インデックス), to be confirmed on the 15th shareholders meeting on 25 November 2010, effective on 1 December 2010.[12][13]

They were their own company initially. in 2006 Index became majority shareholder, in 2010 there was a merger though and Atlus was officially incorporated into Index... so I'm not sure how this will play out.

Right after reading this the sad charlie brown music they use in Arrested Development started playing in my head

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's so disappointing... If Index goes the way of THQ, I guess the best we can hope for is that someone good picks up the IPs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope this doesn't mean SMT X Fire Emblem will be canceled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ugh, well that's rough. If someone does buy up the IP, what are the chances that it would also entail Atlus staff being brought in as well? Or whatever is left of Atlus truly dust in the wind?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kurtofan posted:

I hope this doesn't mean SMT X Fire Emblem will be canceled.
Nintendo wouldn't let that happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Strange Matter posted:

Nintendo wouldn't let that happen.

Nintendo won't necessarily have much of a say, depending on how things pan out for Index.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we'll at least get Soul Hackers, SMTIV, and Etrian Odyssey 3D in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If someone does buy the IPs, please please please let it be someone who's able to publish the games in Europe by themselves. :pray:

Also hire all the Atlus staff because, y'know, that's important too

Except maybe that one guy who draws the weird-looking boobs, they can leave him behind