Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That tweet could be interpreted as "it's your fault for being harrassed" or as "if this is affecting your mental health, please, for your sake, find a different career."

Do you think it's more likely that Cheapskate would be saying the former, or that he'd be trying to say the latter and flub it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Djeser posted:

That tweet could be interpreted as "it's your fault for being harrassed" or as "if this is affecting your mental health, please, for your sake, find a different career."

Do you think it's more likely that Cheapskate would saying the former, or that he'd be trying to say the latter and have flubbed it?

Well, right. It's context and the fact that he doesn't have a loving PR machine adjusting his posts, he's one dude and people misspeak.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Djeser posted:

Do you think it's more likely that Cheapskate would be saying the former, or that he'd be trying to say the latter and flub it?

I interpreted it that second way but yeah he's about to get dogpiled. RIP Cheapskate.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Bad news: Cheapskate is a garbage person now

Re: Lindsay Ellis talking about getting harassed as a female Youtuber.

https://twitter.com/CheapskateShow/status/1038864095116578817

Who gives a single flying gently caress

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Edit: Actual thoughts instead of a glib segue

Djeser posted:

Either way, the tweet inescapably sides with the harassers telling her to stop making videos.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Djeser posted:

It's a bad take and they should probably consider deleting it and maybe tweeting a brief apology or something

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you get to make self-righteous little announcements like this, who cares? http://twitter.com/RedlineSSB/status/1038919519673217024

This person is right, as a woman on the internet I don’t give second chances .

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Internet would be a much less awful place if the people on it gave second chances, as would be expected off it.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think it'd be good to give Cheapskate a chance to clarify, but man that could've been worded a WHOLE lot better.

Djeser posted:

I think the issue for most people is they only know him as some dude on a podcast, so most people aren't going to have that lens to view it through. I'm sure if you post on ballp.it you know him better, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but if you're not part of the larger community, it looks kinda lovely. Like I said, a clarification would go a long way.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You know what? gently caress it. If this topic is going to ruin the thread, then I’ll post something.

I’ve already sent Ellis a PM clarifying my statement. I haven’t received a response, but she continues to follow my account.

I am familiar with abuse because I spent four years representing domestic violence victims in court. When someone’s situation becomes so toxic that it’s hurting their health, it’s healthiest for them to leave. Don’t worry about whether the abuser “wins,” just leave. Win by getting out.

It’s ultimately Ellis’s decision to make.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Internet would be a much less awful place if the people on it gave second chances, as would be expected off it.

When that behavior doesn’t lead to years long coordinated harassment campaigns then we’ll talk second chances.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gynocentric Regime posted:

When that behavior doesn’t lead to years long coordinated harassment campaigns then we’ll talk second chances.
I'm sure that applies here!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

echopapa posted:

gently caress you and the horse you rode on you victim blaming gently caress.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

gently caress you and the horse you rode on you victim blaming gently caress.

settle down beavis

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm sure that applies here!

Let me guess, cis hereto male?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Today on a very special episode of the F Plus podcast discussion thread...

I think literally everyone i've ever known has said something stupid out loud that you could blast them on twitter for. The difference is that it doesn't hang in the air for everyone to consider and comment on and retweet. My biggest issue with that response is that it's platitude-like in that it offers what appears to be an easy decision, but that's not really how life works.

I still want more song crimes tbh

e: and if we have to defend our hot take cred, i'm a lady who's been through poo poo. Not every single poorly-worded thing is an indictment against the person saying it.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 11, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

My bad, you're right. Cheapskate is going to dox all the people who responded to his tweet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Get over yourself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

I still want more song crimes tbh

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ahahahaha, oh the loving IRONY of your rap sheet!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ahahahaha, oh the loving IRONY of your rap sheet!

Uhh, you know I’ve acknowledged that and said I don’t blame anyone for still blocking me. I don’t deserve a second chance, I’m happy if people give it, but I completely understand if they don’t.

vvv Nah, I’m good vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just stop posting.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Uhh, you know I’ve acknowledged that and said I don’t blame anyone for still blocking me. I don’t deserve a second chance, I’m happy if people give it, but I completely understand if they don’t.
The contrast between your slavering vindictiveness and this cowed humility does not flatter you.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

echopapa posted:

You know what? gently caress it. If this topic is going to ruin the thread, then I’ll post something.

I’ve already sent Ellis a PM clarifying my statement. I haven’t received a response, but she continues to follow my account.

I am familiar with abuse because I spent four years representing domestic violence victims in court. When someone’s situation becomes so toxic that it’s hurting their health, it’s healthiest for them to leave. Don’t worry about whether the abuser “wins,” just leave. Win by getting out.

I feel like comparing online harassment to domestic abuse is a weird thing to do, especially when the advice is to "just leave!".

Also might help to clarify more publicly or something if you really want to calm this down.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just stop posting.

I think this was directed at, like, everyone, because this is a garbage fire of an argument

twitter is bad, folks

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

gently caress off

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

gently caress off

Does the ignore list have a limit? No reason, just asking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Does the ignore list have a limit? No reason, just asking.

It does but you may find some of the occupants are now permabanned so you can free up some slots.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Djeser posted:

twitter is bad, folks

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmaoing at "YOU CHOSE THIS LIFE" like he's a judge at sentencing or some poo poo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
RedlineSSB is me. I'm kinda surprised to see my own tweet here because I chose not to introduce this to the thread. Nonetheless. I stand by my frustration and disappointment.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It is a very bad tweet, and I don't think it would kill Cheapskate to give an actual apology.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 11, 2018

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I don't want to torture the point, but also the context for Ellis' tweet wasn't personal suffering, but general disappointment that every Youtube/Internet personality had to deal with constant harassment and negativity and a recent meet up made it clear that no one really knew what to do except hope that Youtube, Twitter and Facebook stopped allowing it.

So, "You can quit" came off especially bad, even if that wasn't the intent.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

echopapa posted:

Are your hands glued to that shovel or what?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The last two pages need the Lou Reads treatment. :munch:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

lmaoing at "YOU CHOSE THIS LIFE" like he's a judge at sentencing or some poo poo

yea I'm not sure what magic context 'uh you chose this life' and 'ultimately this is on you, the target of the abuse', becomes a cool thing to say to someone talking about being harassed at their job but boy am I excited to find out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Twitter was and continues to be a mistake. The name of this past episode was also a mistake, but we can go make a thread to talk about F+ stuff.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Do a Twitter doc.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm not sure what magic context 'uh you chose this life' and 'ultimately this is on you, the target of the abuse', becomes a cool thing to say to someone talking about being harassed at their job but boy am I excited to find out.
As he pointed out, when the options are "leave your job" or "continue taking abuse until it literally kills you", then "just quit" becomes a much more reasonable option. Yes, it would be ideal for people to stop sending her abuse, but she can't really stop the abuse anymore than I can stop the wind from blowing*. The only actions available to her are quit or cope.

*Of course, then I run into the problem either that I'm comparing misogynistic vitriol to a natural and inevitable occurrence, or that this comparison is distressingly accurate to the current reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Holy poo poo 42 new posts in the F Plus thread something must've OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

Twitter is loving cancer.