Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

ah, the international 'Only 6U?' look

lol

In my previous job I used to have to fly to Israel sometimes, and I always had a ton of laptops and top-secret prototype system boards that I had to hand-carry everywhere. The moment I got off the plane in Tel Aviv, airport security would drag me and any co-workers into separate interrogation rooms where we had to explain and demonstrate every piece of equipment. It was nerve-wracking at first, but eventually just tedious.

Anyway, you'd have to pay me to try that with a modular rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I used to fly around with a ton of music gear & all the drat cables, tools & accessories. My technique was to show my music tech industry-related business card, and sometimes a photo of my office desk. "Look, I have to deal with this poo poo for a living."

US airports post 9/11 were always the twitchiest, obviously.

e: being a timid weirdo with a British accent probably helped complete the image.
ee: and showing the Yamaha business card was an instant upgrade in Japanese flights & hotels.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 23, 2018

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Hi thread! So, I'm currently sitting at strictly a Push 1 and the Ableton 9 suite, on a PC with just crappy onboard sound. I got an unexpected windfall and am about to do a hardware shopping spree soon, budget somewhere a little over $1K or so. I will probably be grabbing a Mother-32, a Volca-something (haven't decided what yet but probably either an FM or Keys), and a Keystep (I'd like a keyboard controller and this one having CV is pretty sweet). And probably a gradual series of pocket operators and DIY eurorack stuff after that, but that'll be later this year. It was at this point that I realized I should probably finally do something about the fact that I have no audio interface, since I'll need something to tie all this gear together and I'd like to take advantage of some ASIO stuff like Ableton Link.

I don't know a whole lot about the audio interface side of things. Will a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 be enough that I can still use Ableton and VSTs for effects on my hardware and whatnot? Will this work pretty well at tying all the above hardware together with a little room for expansion later? Is there a more-bang-for-my-buck option?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have the 2i4 and it works fine to integrate all my small synths and control interfaces within Ableton + effects and vst.

The processing power of your PC will probably be the bottleneck.

You will also want a mixer with enough ins and a midi divider eventually to play with all your synths.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have the 2i4 and it works fine to integrate all my small synths and control interfaces within Ableton + effects and vst.

The processing power of your PC will probably be the bottleneck.

You will also want a mixer with enough ins and a midi divider eventually to play with all your synths.

Or you can get two birds stoned at once and get a mixer/multichannel interface like a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK. It’s got some quirks for cost saving (the non-master channels output to USB post-gain and pre-sliders/effects but can be returned back, also there’s no onboard power switch) and the learning curve can be obnoxious (I advise finding the manual PDF online and reading it before purchasing) but I’m really happy I spent the extra $200 over the Focusrite Scarlett I was initially going to buy. I even like the onboard effects.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 25, 2018

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What's this mysterious case in the mailbox today?

Noice

Is this a single product or a bunch of different individual modules mounted in a carrying case?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bagsack posted:

Is this a single product or a bunch of different individual modules mounted in a carrying case?

Yes.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bagsack posted:

Looks like a make noise black & gold.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/11/30/make-noise-intros-black-gold-shared-system-plus/

First I've ever heard of it. And to think up until now all i've been wanting is an 0-coast. :shepface:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

And to think up until now all i've been wanting is an 0-coast. :shepface:

Me 3 months ago, naively thinking "ahah I'll never fall for modulars I know it's crack". But then I bought the 0-coast.

Never go modular. Not even once. Not even the 0-coast. Or you will become one of us.
:awesomelon:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Never go modular. Not even once. Not even the 0-coast. Or you will become one of us.
:awesomelon:

Now replace all the frontpanels by Grayscale versions so that everything's at least readable

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

Now replace all the frontpanels by Grayscale versions so that everything's at least readable

ugh no it's not helping

tbh honest I find the original panels fairly readable, coming straight from the 0-coast

Also this piece of gear is really instant fun. I just added a few things like a mixer and a pico drums so I can easily create a more "musical" song. I'm barely scratching the surface, but I do understand now why people love modulars so much.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Laserjet 4P posted:

if you can still read it theres not enough patch cables in your way

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Looks like a make noise black & gold.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/11/30/make-noise-intros-black-gold-shared-system-plus/

First I've ever heard of it. And to think up until now all i've been wanting is an 0-coast. :shepface:

After reading up on that thing I’m left with a deep sense of gear envy for which I have not felt in a very long time. ...That $4,500 prick tag though, good god drat!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bagsack posted:

...That $4,500 prick tag though, good god drat!

Was ‘prick tag’ a Freudian slip?

It sounds like the “here’s your sign” of electronic music.

“Look at the prick tag on that guy. A $5000 suitcase machine that he uses to make nothing but mooing sounds and unfinished ‘sketches”

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Was ‘prick tag’ a Freudian slip?

It sounds like the “here’s your sign” of electronic music.

“Look at the prick tag on that guy. A $5000 suitcase machine that he uses to make nothing but mooing sounds and unfinished ‘sketches”

Hah, that was certainly unintentional!

On a different note, has anyone tried out any of the numerous DIY modular synth kits sold online? That sounds like it could be a fun project to pick up. Any recommendations for a kind of “starter kit” where you build a VCO and maybe a filter? I also wonder how they would sound compared to a standard, professionally made eurorack module.

e: changed VCA to VCO

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 26, 2018

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Bagsack posted:

On a different note, has anyone tried out any of the numerous DIY modular synth kits sold online? That sounds like it could be a fun project to pick up. Any recommendations for a kind of “starter kit” where you build a VCO and maybe a filter? I also wonder how they would sound compared to a standard, professionally made eurorack module.

Thonk is a good place to look for kits. They even have some specifically aimed at complete beginners.

DIY vs factory isn't really a factor in the sound of a module. If you're using the same parts, electrons don't care. More manufacturers than you might expect make their modules available in some kind of DIY-friendly format, too. Either as PCBs/kits or just open sourced designs that you can do whatever with.

Be warned though, DIY is not a good way to get stuff for cheap. It's just another black hole on top of the other black hole.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
This is probably another stupid question, but why is the 0-coast specifically referred to as a semi-modular synth and not just modular? I haven’t really been able to find an answer to that via the standard googling.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bagsack posted:

This is probably another stupid question, but why is the 0-coast specifically referred to as a semi-modular synth and not just modular? I haven’t really been able to find an answer to that via the standard googling.

It has a default preset wiring scheme, which patching interrupts or overrides, like the Mother-32, DFAM, and Soon(TM) the Neutron. In other words: it makes sounds without any extra cables.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I preordered this and I hear they start shipping this week: https://www.strymon.net/products/magneto/
I've heard what it can do from a few folks on IG who got pre-release devices. I'm unreasonably excited.

- Tape-voiced delay machine with four playback heads and one record head
- Processor-intense dTape algorithm delivers meticulously nuanced recreations of vintage tape echo systems
- Three operational modes: Echo, Sound On Sound Looper, Phrase Sampler
- Varispeed algorithm with dynamic machine mechanics, 8:1 speed range
- Input record level for clean reproduction to warm, fat saturation
- Self-oscillating for tone generation
- Independent Spring Reverb

edit: I hear folks are getting theirs already. Fingers crossed this thing comes soon because it looks like a lot of fun.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

he1ixx posted:

I preordered this and I hear they start shipping this week: https://www.strymon.net/products/magneto/
I've heard what it can do from a few folks on IG who got pre-release devices. I'm unreasonably excited.

- Processor-intense dTape algorithm delivers meticulously nuanced recreations of vintage tape echo systems

edit: I hear folks are getting theirs already. Fingers crossed this thing comes soon because it looks like a lot of fun.

they're already shipping, i preordered it the day it was announced and got it last week. it sounds really really good, but i still need to spend some time digging into it. it's basically everything i could want in an emulated tape delay

not providing CV control over each head's playback level seems like kind of a boneheaded move, though

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

he1ixx posted:

They most certainly are out. Had some fun making a little demo video of it with some basic wall-of-sound synth sounds and simple melody patterns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQCk7hWYy0

I had been on the fence about an El Capistan for a while so this was an easy choice. Even for just adding a bit of tape saturation and sound wash from the delays/reverb it's great. I'm less sure about some of the modulation - had tried the other day without success musical modulation, ended up puzzled by the choice for a Volts/Octave range of -3V to +3V since that makes it a bit annoying to sequence, would have been nice to have the delay levels have a patch point, little things like that, but even with nothing but a clock and inputs/outputs it's still useful. A longer sitdown and I'm hoping to have a mode for a wall of tuned noise wash.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Me to finger: "Stop...stop. You don't need a 0-Coast. You have plenty of bleeping bloopers. Just stop. STOP!"
Finger: "Bitch, go gently caress yourself. I pressed 'purchase' 2 minutes ago."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm considering it too...ugh.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if you were responsible the 0-coast would be a moot point since youd have gone euro before they came out :getin:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if you were responsible the 0-coast would be a moot point since youd have gone euro before they came out :getin:

Been burning money on euro for a decade man.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just picked up a used MS-20 yesterday. I feel like this is playing with fire. Modular stuff seems like a ton of fun once you can wrap your head around it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2018/02/27/are-behringer-planning-a-bupiter-8/

oh boy

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
why can't they hire a proper designer to make their synths not look so cheap

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

why can't they hire a proper designer to make their synths not look so cheap

the video isn't theirs

but yeah, IDK. It probably has to do with the "massive asset library cut-and-paste" approach to prototyping and mockups that Uli recently talked about.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
sure, that video just reminds me how little effort they put into the design of the model d:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Product and UX designers cost money lol

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, that video just reminds me how little effort they put into the design of the model d:

they delivered a clone, not their own synth - people wanted the moog layout and they got it. when they delivered their own synth in the neutron people got up in arms because it actually looks very different. you can't make anyone happy

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the original model d looks a lot nicer. it's the fonts, the switches etc.

since they didn't copy the design right down to the smallest detail there's no reason why they couldn't have hired a good graphics / ui designer to make it look good.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dyna Soar posted:

the original model d looks a lot nicer. it's the fonts, the switches etc.

since they didn't copy the design right down to the smallest detail there's no reason why they couldn't have hired a good graphics / ui designer to make it look good.

Or, no one that is buying a $300 Model D clone gives a poo poo about font / switches as long as they work.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Or, no one that is buying a $300 Model D clone gives a poo poo about font / switches as long as they work.

Sure, just wondering why they don't want to make their synths look cool when dozens of smaller firms are making cheap analog synths that look really cool

content
Feb 13, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

Sure, just wondering why they don't want to make their synths look cool when dozens of smaller firms are making cheap analog synths that look really cool

Something looking cool is subjective. It functions and the design seems fairly innocuous. Works for me.

content fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm assuming because they wanted to keep the price at $299. As far as I know, the next Model D clone that comes close is the SE-02 and that is $100 more.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
It's like that Tats/Dave Smith double interview where Tats is all "I liked poking around in your synths to learn about your process. Have you looked in mine?" and Dave's all "lol, no". Some designers put everything into their craft, and others ... don't.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

MrSargent posted:

no one that is buying a $300 Model D clone gives a poo poo about font / switches as long as they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
So did something actually happen with that synth compilation or was it just "hey everybody let's make some music and throw it in this hole"?