Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol
Here's a freaking disturbing article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wow, what a hot take. Do you write for late night TV?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There is also this from reddit.
https://m.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5c91gd/comment/d9ul89f

quote:

They (4chan /pol/, /r/the_donald) saw this email which has this image (named pizza.jpg) attached and jumped to Podesta/Clinton are involved in a sex cult/child trafficking and this image is showing off the "goods." They see the "doesn't get any better than this" as referring to the little girl.

This is related to Bill Clinton saving the two women in this photo from North Korea. The image in question is of Laura Ling and Euna Lee and a daughter belonging to one of them eating pizza together. What they mean is that their jobs don't get any better than reuniting a family by saving people from North Korea. Apparently they were sent this photo after the fact and shared it amongst themselves.

Here's another photo of them getting off the plane from North Korea and seeing the daughter and the husband.

They turned the Clintons using their influence to save journalists from North Korea and reuniting a family at the end of it into the Clintons are involved in child trafficking.

They then decided that all pizza related words in the emails are code for child trafficking and continued digging and came up with other innocuous things and construed them similarly, connected it all together.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

flosofl posted:

Wow, what a hot take. Do you write for late night TV?

He's right though? It is loving unnerving.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kanine posted:

He's right though? It is loving unnerving.

Eh, the only unnerving thing was Clinton getting the nomination over Sanders. After that it was down to a choice of two gently caress-ups who would damage the country in different ways.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

flosofl posted:

Eh, the only unnerving thing was Clinton getting the nomination over Sanders. After that it was down to a choice of two gently caress-ups who would damage the country in different ways.

Hillary Clinton sucks but this is a ludicrous false equivalency. The real unnerving thing is how the Democrats snuffed the flame out of the Sanders populist movement, told us to hold our noses and vote for the Chosen One, only for the Chosen One to poo poo the bed so badly a reality television star is currently filling the white house with white supremacists and people who don't believe in evolution

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

According to Brit shitrag The Sun, container man left 'amusing' reviews on his amazon items

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21778...imes-on-amazon/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

whiteyfats posted:

Former FB profiler John Douglas says in one of his books it's hard not to like Kemper. He goes on to say that doesn't mean he thinks Kemper should be released, and in his more lucid moments, Kemper knows he shouldn't be, either.

I think it was that same book where Douglas also tells a story about how terrifying Kemper could be at the drop of a hat. It was a story about how Douglas had gotten comfortable talking with Kemper 1 on 1 with just a guard outside the room, no restraints on Kemper at all. This had become normal, but at one point Kemper just randomly decided to say to Douglas(paraphrasing): "You know I could twist your head off with my bare hands before anyone could get in here to do anything about it?". I think he laughed afterwards, as if to him it were just a funny joke. Douglas played it off like it was no big deal but he was hammering the button to summon the guard and I think the wait was a little longer than he wanted it to be. He was definitely scared shitless when he got out of there.

Kemper is like 6 foot 6 or something like that, which makes the image even scarier.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Nov 14, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

I think it was that same book where Douglas also tells a story about how terrifying Kemper could be at the drop of a hat. It was a story about how Douglas had gotten comfortable talking with Kemper 1 on 1 with just a guard outside the room, no restraints on Kemper at all. This had become normal, but at one point Kemper just randomly decided to say to Douglas(paraphrasing): "You know I could twist your head off with my bare hands before anyone could get in here to do anything about it?". I think he laughed afterwards, as if to him it were just a funny joke. Douglas played it off like it was no big deal but he was hammering the button to summon the guard and I think the wait was a little longer than he wanted it to be. He was definitely scared shitless when he got out of there.

Kemper is like 6 foot 6 or something like that, which makes the image even scarier.

Yeah, that's there, too. Kemper was a giant, genius serial killer. Terrifying combination.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I always sorta thought that was just a movie thing, where detectives would go in with unchained, obvious threats and even send people out for alone time. Do these guys just have big balls, or do they think it's worth the risk to try and gain whatever trust/leverage they can? If the book you are mentioning goes deeper into Douglas' building of the relationship I'd probably be interested to hear the title.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sleppy posted:

I always sorta thought that was just a movie thing, where detectives would go in with unchained, obvious threats and even send people out for alone time. Do these guys just have big balls, or do they think it's worth the risk to try and gain whatever trust/leverage they can? If the book you are mentioning goes deeper into Douglas' building of the relationship I'd probably be interested to hear the title.

John Douglas has written a few, but that story sounds familiar so it's in either of these (the only books I've read by him)

Mind-Hunter
Journey into Darkness

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sleppy posted:

At the time Douglas was working with the FBI in their behavioral unit, and he along with a few other guys like Robert Ressler(he's also written several books) basically invented the "art" of profiling serial killers. It says on his wiki page that the official reason he was travelling around the country was that he was teaching different local police departments hostage negotiation, where psychological profiling is obviously a big deal.

Say what you will about profiling, but remember that in the late 70's, when Douglas was starting out with it, a lot of the most basic psychological stuff that seems obvious now wasn't accepted until the work he did. He informed Atlanta police that he believed the child murderer that was on the loose was a black man, which was surprising to a lot of people at the time because it was assumed only a deranged white man would kill black children. The idea that a serial killer's psychological profile could cause him to target members of his own race hadn't been established before Douglas. Serial killers were still considered completely deranged psychotics, it was Douglas and a few others who first attempted to talk to these guys and figure out their motivations. If nothing else, serial killer movies most definitely improved!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flosofl posted:

John Douglas has written a few, but that story sounds familiar so it's in either of these (the only books I've read by him)

Mind-Hunter
Journey into Darkness

Obsession, as well.

Also wrote a good book about BTK and another about this douche: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward_Robinson

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

At the time Douglas was working with the FBI in their behavioral unit, and he along with a few other guys like Robert Ressler(he's also written several books) basically invented the "art" of profiling serial killers. It says on his wiki page that the official reason he was travelling around the country was that he was teaching different local police departments hostage negotiation, where psychological profiling is obviously a big deal.

Say what you will about profiling, but remember that in the late 70's, when Douglas was starting out with it, a lot of the most basic psychological stuff that seems obvious now wasn't accepted until the work he did. He informed Atlanta police that he believed the child murderer that was on the loose was a black man, which was surprising to a lot of people at the time because it was assumed only a deranged white man would kill black children. The idea that a serial killer's psychological profile could cause him to target members of his own race hadn't been established before Douglas. Serial killers were still considered completely deranged psychotics, it was Douglas and a few others who first attempted to talk to these guys and figure out their motivations. If nothing else, serial killer movies most definitely improved!

It's not an exact science, of course, but it has legitimately helped. Sometimes, just knowing the type of personality that usually does this type of murders can focus an investigation.

Another true crime book, one I can't recommend enough, is The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt For the Green River Killer, by Robert Keppel. Look for the updated version, after they caught Ridgeway. Ted was spot on about a lot of stuff.

EDIT: The tv movie for the Riverman is worth watching, as well, just for Cary Elwes as Bundy.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Lady Demelza posted:

This was posted a while back, although seems relevant with the current MurderChat, but it is a grippingly horrifying listen. So many lives ripped apart in one small area because the police couldn't catch a cold.

No poo poo. The police had material evidence, eye witnesses, a likely suspect and related cases. They then proceeded to put the victim's parents on Geraldo, investigate quack psychics' theories and go after one of their witnesses. Nice.

Fake edit: this is about the In the Dark podcast. Highly recommended.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I loving love true crime books. Keep em coming!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Dk-m-UPAQ&t=265s

Maybe this one fairly well known but I didn't really know about it, and it's fairly unnerving.

Diane Schuler drove the wrong way down the Taconic Parkway for 2 miles before having a head on collision that killed herself, her daughter, 3 nieces, and all 3 passengers in the car she struck. The only survivor was Brian Schular, who suffered severe brain damage, ocular nerve damage and PTSD. No one really knows what happened, but over the years several investigations were able to piece together bits and pieces. Diane is seen walking into a gas station about 30 minutes before the crash, showing no signs of inebriation or intoxication. There is no audio, but the clerk remembered her asking if they had any tylenol. She then leaves her cell phone on a highway enbankment. Just prior to the crash, one of young girls called her Dad, stating that " there's something wrong with Aunt Diane". Diane then entered the west exit , but headed east. Several eye witnesses to the crash state that even while driving the wrong way down the freeway she seemed very calm, driving very deliberately, not swerving or acting out of control. Very sad and tragic, but the aftermath is a pretty insane case of delusion.

Diane's autopsy revealed an blood alcohol level of .19, about 10 shots of vodka to someone her age and weight. She was also under the influence THC, enough that it was estimated she must have smoked at least 45 minutes to 15 minutes before driving. There was also a bottle of vodka found in the wreck. Her husband, Daniel, absolutely refused to believe this was the truth, and has led a media campaign to clear his late wife's name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6b7K6-gnIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFemRjBvW4
He believes that his wife had a stroke, then accidentally drank vodka in a black out. Either that, or she had an abcessed tooth and that it sent her into a state of delerium, accidentally takes an ambien, putting her in a black out. He had all the tests redone only to find that the toxicology reports were all accurate.

Instead of accepting the blame, he sues state for not keeping the Highways safe, and sues his brother in law(who lost 3 daughters in the crash) for owning the car that his wife drove the wrong way down the highway.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/26/report-widower-sues-state-after-tragic-wrong-way-crash-on-taconic-parkway/
He is currently trying to get his wife's body exhumed so he can take samples to prove she had a stroke or some other medical issue that caused the accident.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2016/november/christopher-duntsch-dr-death/

Found this in the 'Weird Craigslist Ad' thread here in PYF, but jesus h christ it is HORRIFYING. A spinal surgeon doing tons of drugs, drinking before procedures, and generally just loving people up to the point he's killed at least two. It is worth a read.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Diane is seen walking into a gas station about 30 minutes before the crash, showing no signs of inebriation or intoxication. There is no audio, but the clerk remembered her asking if they had any tylenol.

That video appears to be the main thing that some people seem to think proves she wasn't drunk or stoned, which is pretty stupid. Its pretty easy to maintain yourself while making a simple purchase at a gas station and still be waaaay to drunk to drive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Your Gay Uncle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Dk-m-UPAQ&t=265s
Instead of accepting the blame, he sues state for not keeping the Highways safe, and sues his brother in law(who lost 3 daughters in the crash) for owning the car that his wife drove the wrong way down the highway.

suing your dead wife's brother seems like a dick move.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2016/november/christopher-duntsch-dr-death/

Found this in the 'Weird Craigslist Ad' thread here in PYF, but jesus h christ it is HORRIFYING. A spinal surgeon doing tons of drugs, drinking before procedures, and generally just loving people up to the point he's killed at least two. It is worth a read.

This is especially unnerving (ha) to me, as I recognize so many of those structures and procedures, since I'm dealing with a spinal and nervous injury myself. I'll get an official prognosis tomorrow after six long weeks of pain and inability to walk, and while I can't say for sure, I think my doctor is not going to recommend surgery, which will be a huge relief.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Basebf555 posted:

That video appears to be the main thing that some people seem to think proves she wasn't drunk or stoned, which is pretty stupid. Its pretty easy to maintain yourself while making a simple purchase at a gas station and still be waaaay to drunk to drive.

Especially if you're an alcoholic. They don't all look like the rummies you see on TV.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

duz posted:

Especially if you're an alcoholic. They don't all look like the rummies you see on TV.

Respect for all the functioning alcoholics.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moey posted:

Respect for all the functioning alcoholics.

Functioning alcoholics don't drive into oncoming traffic though. They just go to work and do their normal bang up job while they and their liver drown in their own despair.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Functioning alcoholics don't drive into oncoming traffic though. They just go to work and do their normal bang up job while they and their liver drown in their own despair.

They could very easily if they are a boneheaded driver to begin with. You know, the type that would maybe turn down a highway entrance ramp going the wrong way, but then realize their mistake before barreling into oncoming traffic. Its easy to see how one of those types could get tunnel vision when drunk and be so focused on just staying on the road that stuff like "am I going the wrong way on a highway" doesn't even enter their mind.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tired Moritz posted:

suing your dead wife's brother seems like a dick move.

It is, but he's probably driven insane with grief too. Imagine if one day you got home from work and your spouse is dead and oh it turns out they were Hitler. You've been married to Hitler this whole time. Everyone is giving you loads and loads of evidence that you married Hitler and the shock of everything just shuts down all the logical parts of your brain. The love of your life isn't Hitler, drat it!

Depressing all around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mental illness may explain dickheadedness, but it doesn't excuse it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mental illness may explain dickheadedness, but it doesn't excuse it.

I think it does actually, at least in a lot of cases.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i'm pretty sure that guy just wants money. litigation culture personified.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know. I thought that people that were found not guilty by reason of insanity and what not still had to be imprisoned in mental hospitals until their mental health returned right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. I thought that people that were found not guilty by reason of insanity and what not still had to be imprisoned in mental hospitals until their mental health returned right?

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about actual crimes, as in actions that hurt others. Just being a dickhead is a different thing, but I suppose suing someone is hurting them financially, so you have a good point.

People are not usually found not guilty by reason of insanity, they would be found not fit to stand trial. Then, they'd be in an institution until they were deemed sane enough to be tried for their crimes. The only people who are found not guilty after a trial are those with temporary insanity, which is almost just a television/movie thing at this point, its incredibly rare.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about actual crimes, as in actions that hurt others. Just being a dickhead is a different thing, but I suppose suing someone is hurting them financially, so you have a good point.

People are not usually found not guilty by reason of insanity, they would be found not fit to stand trial. Then, they'd be in an institution until they were deemed sane enough to be tried for their crimes. The only people who are found not guilty after a trial are those with temporary insanity, which is almost just a television/movie thing at this point, its incredibly rare.

Oh, I was just talking about him and thought you were talking about crimes in general. I think that his shitheadedness isn't excusable by his supposed mental trauma. He's just a loving dick head rear end in a top hat and deserves to catch a country rear end kicking for being such an unrelenting piece of poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's just a loving dick head rear end in a top hat and deserves to catch a country rear end kicking for being such an unrelenting piece of poo poo.

To be clear, I wasn't saying he wasn't in the wrong or anything. I just think that as with your average hosed up serial killer he didn't randomly decide one morning to be a horrible douchbag. Fighting for his wife's name is probably the only thing that keeps him from hanging himself.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

They do if their despair drives them to suicide.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that his shitheadedness isn't excusable by his supposed mental trauma. He's just a loving dick head rear end in a top hat and deserves to catch a country rear end kicking for being such an unrelenting piece of poo poo.

Its probably impossible for us to make an educated judgment about his mental state, so its possible you're right, but equally possible you're wrong. Its not "supposed" mental trauma, he did in fact suffer an extremely traumatic event, one of the worst anyone can ever experience. So there's no telling what his mental condition is, and you'd probably have to be there actually in his personal life to really know.

I guess my point is that people who experience that level of tragedy should be given every possible benefit of the doubt before we just throw them in the dickhead rear end in a top hat bin and forget about them.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

They do if their despair drives them to suicide.

See that's what's so freaky about this whole thing to me. Did she just snap and decide to take her children with her? Was she another Andrea Yates situation? Was she just really stoned ?
The fact that the husband, in the face of all the evidence steadfastly believes that his wife was sober and did this accidentally fascinates me. You almost feel sorry for him, but if you watch the " There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane " video I posted you can see how much he lashes out at his own son.

It's also disheartening to see how scumbag people will milk obviously grieving family members out of money like the private investigator did. gently caress people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I find it hard to believe she was purposely committing suicide because weren't there two of her brother's kids in the car with her? I can see the twisted logic that some parents use when they kill their kids(they shouldn't have to live without their parents, I'm saving them from the embarrassment, etc.), but why take your nieces with you? Doesn't quite add up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, her wish for suicide could have went past whoever was in the car with her. But to be fair, I'm also in the "she was probably just super hosed up and didn't really comprehend what was going on" side. We'll never know, and that just adds to the unnerving aspects of the entire thing. Maybe her husband drove (eh?!) her to it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I find it hard to believe she was purposely committing suicide because weren't there two of her brother's kids in the car with her? I can see the twisted logic that some parents use when they kill their kids(they shouldn't have to live without their parents, I'm saving them from the embarrassment, etc.), but why take your nieces with you? Doesn't quite add up.

People in suicidal state of mind are very mentally unhealthy and not rationally thinking about consequences. I get what you're saying but someone who is keen on smashing their car 80 mph in a head on collision isn't going to stop to let the nieces out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

People in suicidal state of mind are very mentally unhealthy and not rationally thinking about consequences. I get what you're saying but someone who is keen on smashing their car 80 mph in a head on collision isn't going to stop to let the nieces out first.

For the most part when you listen to people who've attempted suicide, they do have some sort of logic that they were using when they did it. So even though its always flawed logic, there's a thought process there that I'm usually able to follow. Its usually about justification, that its ok to do this because of X, Y and Z. I just can't think of what the rationalization could have possibly been to take someone else's(her own brother's at that) kids with you.

Then again, we know of airline pilots who took whole plane loads of people with them, so it obviously happens.