Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Snuffman posted:

There's no way to make an "On the Go" playlist though?

I used to just cherry pick specific episodes of a podcast to make a playlist, but it doesn't look like you can do that anymore. The closest is just picking episodes and adding to "Up Next".

Yeah, "on the go" was nice. It was just quicker to use than "Up Next" generally has been, and the fact that it was something that was persistent was useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 9.0.1 is out, fixing the alarms (among other things), supposedly.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/23/apple-releases-ios-901-with-minor-fixes-for-alarms-video-playback-setup-assistant-more

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Rick posted:

Yeah, "on the go" was nice. It was just quicker to use than "Up Next" generally has been, and the fact that it was something that was persistent was useful.

I also hate how when Up Next is done playing, it immediately starts playing "Unplayed".

Well, the feedback page now includes iOS9 in the OS list, so I've submitted my feedback. :)

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
I have never purchased a phone in store, let alone at an Apple Store, so I'm not sure how their stock is managed.

My Verizon contract is up at the end of October and I want to opt-in to the Apple Upgrade plan. Is a month or so of time after launch generally enough time for them to receive adequate stock in stores? Do you, historically, always have to make an appointment to buy a new phone or is it just around launch times? I've always been a bit of a late adopter, so new release inventory issues and demand are all new to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RusteJuxx posted:

I have never purchased a phone in store, let alone at an Apple Store, so I'm not sure how their stock is managed.

My Verizon contract is up at the end of October and I want to opt-in to the Apple Upgrade plan. Is a month or so of time after launch generally enough time for them to receive adequate stock in stores? Do you, historically, always have to make an appointment to buy a new phone or is it just around launch times? I've always been a bit of a late adopter, so new release inventory issues and demand are all new to me.
They've not done appointments for launch day before that I recall.They'll have walk-ins, for sure. A month is probably fine since there seems to be plenty of inventory still.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Phone is ON THE MOVE!!!!!! More updates every hour on the hour.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Post your Flight Aware maps please, preferably as animated GIFs.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hopefully yours doesn't have to loop around like the Pope's plane.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Snuffman posted:

I also hate how when Up Next is done playing, it immediately starts playing "Unplayed".

Well, the feedback page now includes iOS9 in the OS list, so I've submitted my feedback. :)

Yeah I'm gonna submit some too. The podcast team is like 4 people so it's usually responsive (not directly, to me as a person, I mean, but to the feedback).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I was about to post in this thread congratulating everyone on the lack of shipping update posts, so thanks for killing that dream

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bawfuls posted:

I was about to post in this thread congratulating everyone on the lack of shipping update posts, so thanks for killing that dream

I'm... I'm sorry.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
iPhone 6+ goon here, updated to iOS 9 at the start of the week. I feel like for all the improvements it isn't that stable, more than a few times I have gone to passcode unlock my phone and experienced notable freezing. Anyone else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

:911.gif:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ios9 AND Deopbox both mention shot like Dropbox and Pinterest and other apps can be searched in the search bar on the springboard. I have everything updated. This NEVER works. Ever.

Thoughts?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I guess I should stop holding on to the hope that Apple would separate Alarm/Ringer volumes.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Bacon Terrorist posted:

iPhone 6+ goon here, updated to iOS 9 at the start of the week. I feel like for all the improvements it isn't that stable, more than a few times I have gone to passcode unlock my phone and experienced notable freezing. Anyone else?

Unlock via touch ID for me takes a few nanoseconds longer than before. Enough to be noticeable and annoying. Makes the phone feel laggy.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bawfuls posted:

It was an impossible dream.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

unlawfulsoup posted:

My favorite thing about this time of year is watching my phone go from Anchorage to Louisville and then right back to Anchorage within 18-24 hours, the logistical efficiency of WorldPort just blows my mind.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Croc Monster posted:

Unlock via touch ID for me takes a few nanoseconds longer than before. Enough to be noticeable and annoying. Makes the phone feel laggy.

One of the reviews I read on the 6S actually claimed that TouchID unlocks even faster on the new phones. So much so that they can no longer just turn the screen on using the home button since it unlocks so fast. Interesting that it's even slower on the 6.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Baller Witness Bro posted:

One of the reviews I read on the 6S actually claimed that TouchID unlocks even faster on the new phones. So much so that they can no longer just turn the screen on using the home button since it unlocks so fast. Interesting that it's even slower on the 6.

APPLE :argh:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

It's such shame that there isn't another button on the device that can do that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

unlawfulsoup posted:

I was hoping for more of an indiana jones style map :(

I saw this credited to the 2 gigs of RAM, but who knows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Odd that they've put Apple Pay onto double home click if it unlocks faster than it can read that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They did mention somewhere in the keynote that the touch ID sensor has been redone/updated or whatever on the new phones, so it should be faster on average.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

GutBomb posted:

It's such shame that there isn't another button on the device that can do that.

That was the next line in the review, the guy had to adapt to using the power button to turn the screen on and off but yes, in case anyone was somehow curious that's the obvious solution.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snuffman posted:

Thanks for this. Just submitted not being able to resume playing podcasts from the EarPods remote.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Re: keyboard guy: I haven't spent much time with an android stock keyboard, and I've never actually seen a Windows phone in real life, so you could be right.

Do manufacturer skins also include keyboards, usually? Because that might also be the problem. It just seems to me as well that there's a problem to fix on Android. I've never had any trouble typing on iOS, and if I did I would want to fix that with a different keyboard, since android users want to fix it, I imagine there must be a problem, but that's not necessarily true.

I also hear people bitching all the time about their android keyboards, and they seem more clumsy with them when I take the time to notice, fwiw.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Dude in the Apple Store said he expected me to get out of the store within an hour from getting there on launch day. I have no idea how reliable that is.

But I am hoping.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

tuyop posted:

Re: keyboard guy: I haven't spent much time with an android stock keyboard, and I've never actually seen a Windows phone in real life, so you could be right.

Do manufacturer skins also include keyboards, usually? Because that might also be the problem. It just seems to me as well that there's a problem to fix on Android. I've never had any trouble typing on iOS, and if I did I would want to fix that with a different keyboard, since android users want to fix it, I imagine there must be a problem, but that's not necessarily true.

I also hear people bitching all the time about their android keyboards, and they seem more clumsy with them when I take the time to notice, fwiw.

As a current windows phone haver, the keyboard will be the one thing I miss when I make my jump tomorrow - the suggestion and autocorrect functionality is superior, and in portrait mode you have a comma and a full stop on either side of the space bar - plus you can long press to get other common punctuation.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone have any empirical advice as to upgrading from an iPhone 5S (16GB)? I've historically used my previous phone to pay for and even make a few bucks when upgrading. However, with companies no longer subsidizing, all of these new plans are throwing me off.

I currently pay around ~$53 for 1GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text on Verizon through a legacy plan. Between data warnings when I'm off wifi and storage concerns, I realize its going to cost plenty more for a 64GB 6S with more data.

tl;dr I'm not married to any one company for service since I live in the city, and am debating whether to buy the phone outright or pay each month. My contract is over on 10/22.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah seems like it freezes a lot when scrolling a webpage and I scroll to an ad. It also crashes FB a lot. At home, I deleted my network from the phone and added it back and now it freezes a lot less. As in, once every ~30 mins instead of once every five minutes. Rebooting my phone seemed to have it working well for about ten minutes but that gets old.

Will test the network deleting thing at work.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Is it ok to disclose my phone's serial number when selling it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't *think* there's a whole lot anyone can do with the serial number other than check warranty status, but I could be wrong.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Apple billed me in separate charges for my phone so I freaked out last night and reported the charges as fraudulent. Heh. This is going to be fun.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Feenix posted:

Ios9 AND Deopbox both mention shot like Dropbox and Pinterest and other apps can be searched in the search bar on the springboard. I have everything updated. This NEVER works. Ever.

Thoughts?

Works just fine for me, I used the feature last night for dropbox.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If Visual Voicemail stops working (on ATT), is there any way to fix it? The button in the phone app just calls my voicemail box now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

If Visual Voicemail stops working (on ATT), is there any way to fix it? The button in the phone app just calls my voicemail box now.

Call AT&T and make sure the visual VM feature is actually on your account. My wifes stopped working awhile back and I finally got around to fixing it. Chances are it's been removed from the account. Hopefully you don't get someone completely dense like I did though, it was a simple thing but it took this rep 20 minutes to fix.