Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dug up this oldie on my FB memories today. Best round relative to par of my life at +21. Obviously I'm on the bottom...and that's just a guess at a handicap since it was friendly competition between me, my dad, and my brother and I shot around 100 at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Played the Engineers Club today and got a birdie which is like my 5th or 6th ever. Also got a par on the 2 or 12 hole which I’m happy about. Absolutely brutal greens, I’ve never seen anything like it. Legit 3-4 foot inclines on some of the greens, all elevated with bunkers all around. I had a lot of fun though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

These are all reasons not to root for these wieners

:jerkbag:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

can anyone recommend a good lightweight bag with a stand to hold around seven clubs and some balls/beers for under $100? getting tired of lugging my giant bag around the par 3 course. i have my eye on this one but i'm wondering if there's anything better

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Golf-Lightweight-Durable-Executive/dp/B08MWZH14B

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

They have slightly nicer (and a pricier) versions of that bag on their website. May be worth checking if you haven't already, just slightly over $100.

https://sundaygolf.com/collections/loma-bag-series

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Group in front of us waited for the group in front of them to clear ridiculous distances today. Never once did anyone in their group really hit a long tee shot.

Thirty putts today for a 6 over 78.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Group in front of us waited for the group in front of them to clear ridiculous distances today. Never once did anyone in their group really hit a long tee shot.

Thirty putts today for a 6 over 78.

I don't get it. If they kept waiting despite the distances it wouldn't have made a difference. They just would have caught them right away.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I don't get it. If they kept waiting despite the distances it wouldn't have made a difference. They just would have caught them right away.

The pace of play was roughly the same. It was more the fact of watching someone who hits 240 waiting until the group is on the green on a par 5 before teeing off. It became a bit of a spectator sport for my group.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I'd be happy if I could play real golf half as well as I play WGT or GTA5 golf. A 76 on Congressional that was almost a 75 if I hadn't hit the pin on 18? gently caress yes.

Nope. Around 100 for me. Always. Time to stop listening to my dad and his stuff about slow swinging and practicing on the course only. To him, an ideal backswing/downswing ratio is along the lines of 4:1...the best pros are around 3:1. Average golfer's around 3.37:1. Also time to get out on the range and unfuck my slice once and for all.

Did y'all know that 1° of clubface direction change can affect the ball's lateral movement by 13 yards? That's 2° of leeway to hit your average fairway.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that's why I play my driver to a draw and aim at the right side of the fairway.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hit another large bucket of balls and only had like 8 real stinkers out of the lot. The small irons are dialed in, long irons getting there and the driver is straight and consistent, plus or minus 20 yards to dead center. However, I cannot hit my fairway woods at all anymore. They are still old, first generation Spalding metal woods from my junior days with Spalding Lite (with TrueTemper!) shafts, and seem just floppy as hell. My irons and driver have stiff shafts, and the irons in particular (Ping S55s) have torque resistant shafts as well. So, it looks like I am off to the pro shop to test drive some fairway woods.

I suppose that I should also consider hybrids at this point as well eh?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
So Taylormade did a crossover with Cinnamon Toast Crunch to make possibly the most ridiculous headcovers I've ever seen:

They're available on TaylorMade's site, but they want three hundred loving dollars for just the driver.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea no thanks

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
They are stupid in just the right ways that I do kind of want them, but I'm not willing to spend $300 on them.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Is it just me or has golf equipment on the whole skyrocketed over the last few years? Scotty Cameron putters used to be $350, and now they're $550~ at Golf Town.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Koth posted:

Is it just me or has golf equipment on the whole skyrocketed over the last few years? Scotty Cameron putters used to be $350, and now they're $550~ at Golf Town.

Everything seems to have, especially for outdoor-related activities. Man the beating our mountain trails have taken since the start of Covid, its insane the number of new hikers out there, all buying up new gear.

And its my curse, because its time for me to get some new clubs and replace my 14 year old vehicle :negative:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OK, I can use your help thread.

Investigating why I cannot hit my fairway woods I have discovered that the shafts are just way too whippy, being "medium" or senior flex profiles. What worked as a 13 year old isn't working now. All of my other clubs are stiff (with my irons, bought used, coming with Modus3 120s which I love).

So, I have a gap between my driver (9.5*) and my 4 iron (24*) that needs filling. What would you all suggest? I could do 3-5 woods I suppose, but hybrids are now a thing, perhaps I should consider these as well? Maybe catch something around 13-15* and 20-22*? So like a 4 wood and 5 hybrid?

Its kind of a weird space to have to fill.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try some of each out at the range/simulator and see what distances you're getting. Don't worry about gaps in club loft so much until you see how you hit them and what distances you want to cover between driver and 4 iron. Just try a bunch of clubs and pick the ones you hit distances that you're likely to want to hit during a round.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Plank Walker posted:

Try some of each out at the range/simulator and see what distances you're getting. Don't worry about gaps in club loft so much until you see how you hit them and what distances you want to cover between driver and 4 iron. Just try a bunch of clubs and pick the ones you hit distances that you're likely to want to hit during a round.

yeah that's always the best idea. Hopefully the used club shop will have some gently preowned M2 fairway woods I can try. I'm naturally a high ball hitter so perhaps hybrids won't be ideal. We'll see I guess

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

So, I have a gap between my driver (9.5*) and my 4 iron (24*) that needs filling. What would you all suggest? I could do 3-5 woods I suppose, but hybrids are now a thing, perhaps I should consider these as well? Maybe catch something around 13-15* and 20-22*? So like a 4 wood and 5 hybrid?

2 Iron.

(don't do this)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

OK, I can use your help thread.

Investigating why I cannot hit my fairway woods I have discovered that the shafts are just way too whippy, being "medium" or senior flex profiles. What worked as a 13 year old isn't working now. All of my other clubs are stiff (with my irons, bought used, coming with Modus3 120s which I love).

Its kind of a weird space to have to fill.
Historically, 3 wood off the deck is the most difficult club for amateurs to hit. I see you played in high school but have been away from the game for a while. If you think your current/near future skill level will allow you to hit 3 wood off the deck, the most logical additions would be a 15* 3 wood, 18/19* 5 wood, and a 21/22* 3 hybrid.

If you're only interested in getting 2 clubs, a 16/17* 4 wood will be easier to hit than the 3 wood, not just because of more loft and lower CG but because the shaft will be slightly shorter. The 3 hybrid still makes sense.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I haven't played in almost a month and I couldn't be happier. I'm not currently missing golf at all.

I'm sure I'll get the bug again but between not playing well recently and it being 90*F with 278% humidity every day I'm enjoying the time away.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I haven't played in almost a month and I couldn't be happier. I'm not currently missing golf at all.

I'm sure I'll get the bug again but between not playing well recently and it being 90*F with 278% humidity every day I'm enjoying the time away.

I missed three weeks for life reasons. I was coming off mediocre rounds, too. The third week, some of my golf YouTubers posted some good rounds, and suddenly I was interested again. As usual, my first round after a layoff is a good one...as if Satan does it to get you playing on the regular again.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

xsf421 posted:

2 Iron.

(don't do this)

Josh Lyman posted:

Historically, 3 wood off the deck is the most difficult club for amateurs to hit.

Actually, I wanted to ask about this. I'm having a bear of a time hitting my G410 3wd off the deck, and it's my primary missing gap clubwise, I think. I'm very consistent and confident with my 4iron in the 220 range, but if there's a longer recovery shot, or a tough hole where I don't trust my driver off the tee, I would like to have something a bit longer.

I never liked the hybrids in my old set, but I see ping has some "crossover" G425s at the 3iron and 2iron level. Does anyone have any experience with these? I read good reviews but am unsure.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Petey posted:

Actually, I wanted to ask about this. I'm having a bear of a time hitting my G410 3wd off the deck, and it's my primary missing gap clubwise, I think. I'm very consistent and confident with my 4iron in the 220 range, but if there's a longer recovery shot, or a tough hole where I don't trust my driver off the tee, I would like to have something a bit longer.

I never liked the hybrids in my old set, but I see ping has some "crossover" G425s at the 3iron and 2iron level. Does anyone have any experience with these? I read good reviews but am unsure.

I picked up one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373524512753 which is basically just a Honma clone of a P790 18* driving iron. I'm in absolute love with it, especially for $85 shipped. There's a few different shaft options in other listings from the seller for the same price.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Historically, 3 wood off the deck is the most difficult club for amateurs to hit. I see you played in high school but have been away from the game for a while. If you think your current/near future skill level will allow you to hit 3 wood off the deck, the most logical additions would be a 15* 3 wood, 18/19* 5 wood, and a 21/22* 3 hybrid.

If you're only interested in getting 2 clubs, a 16/17* 4 wood will be easier to hit than the 3 wood, not just because of more loft and lower CG but because the shaft will be slightly shorter. The 3 hybrid still makes sense.

Thanks for this. I recall alternating between loving hitting the 3, then the 5. I have not loved either since being back at all so its hard to say.

Issue with getting three clubs is that would put me at 15, with all these wedges. Suppose I could always leave the 4 iron home if I ever play in a tournament when such things matter or rejoin my league next season.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just picked this baby up for $40 and it is no joke. i was sinking some long ones on the putting green, way more consistently than i was with my old putter with the hanging counterweight thing. that putter was dogshit anyway but i feel like i can dial in the appropriate force way more accurately with this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m terrible at golf and 3 wood off the deck is my most consistent club. 200-230 yards regularly.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

xsf421 posted:

2 Iron.

(don't do this)

:wrong:

In all seriousness, I miss having a 2 iron. They are super handy.

Alternatively, get a 5 wood or something like that. I don't carry a 3 wood anymore, and frankly haven't missed it. The 5 wood goes plenty far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Weedle posted:

just picked this baby up for $40 and it is no joke. i was sinking some long ones on the putting green, way more consistently than i was with my old putter with the hanging counterweight thing. that putter was dogshit anyway but i feel like i can dial in the appropriate force way more accurately with this

:swoon:

That's just sexy.

I'm with you on team simple putter. I did get a fat grip for it but I'm still rocking the same basic blade Northwestern I used since I was a kid. Although I have been tempted to finally get that Ping I always wanted now that I can afford one

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Bahaha this playoff is nuts

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cantlay is a goddamn putting demon.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

lol what the gently caress is this playoff

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bryson…..not so much a putting demon.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

drat, that's really as good as it gets for a non-major/Ryder Cup. Awesome golf.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I watched the last two playoff holes. What was the Bryson controversy this time?

nerox
May 20, 2001

torgeaux posted:

I watched the last two playoff holes. What was the Bryson controversy this time?

On 14, Bryson pulled off his setup to tell Patrick to stop walking. The announcers masturbated about it for the rest of the match and the playoff. It seemed pretty inconsequential to me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jesus. Just let us watch the match.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Says here he was also rolling his eyes while Cantlay lined up 2-footers (which is irony overload coming from him), and he tipped his cap to the gallery walking up 18 as though he already had it won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

:circlefap: I need to hit up Goodwill for a new-to-me putter. I have a lot of bad memories and keep-up-with-the-Jones syndrome with the knockoff 2-ball mallet putter I have now. In a perfect world, I'd find a classic Yonex Mickelson-style blade putter, I have a real soft spot for those. Even a decent Wilson blade would be nice.