Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol what the gently caress

The sprites change for the higher boss levels too, it's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's worth at least visiting up until you get the special thing in each one. there's a unique thing partway through each branch and you can just leave after grabbing it

P-Mack posted:

The sprites change for the higher boss levels too, it's rad.

yeah. like once he is powered up subier turns from an octopus to this ridiculous merman whale thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

re4 doesnt relent. its a rare game where the difficulty is always at 10 and every room is a nightmare

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I find RE4 to be a chill game nowadays but it was definitely really something back in the day.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I find RE4 to be a chill game nowadays but it was definitely really something back in the day.

its only a chill game if youre a coward and buy the TMP

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The tmp sucks and I've never used it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

extremebuff posted:

its only a chill game if youre a coward and buy the TMP

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The tmp sucks and I've never used it.

It's kind of broken once you upgrade it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The TMP was good?? I always just kept it around so I wouldnt have to waste my handgun bullets on environmental stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I used the TMP when I first played and it's badass

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thing about the TMP is once you have it the game showers you with ammo for it, and you can still use it to stun like the handgun on top of it having way more damage than anything that isnt a cheat weapon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I used TP for my bunghole when I first played lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

lmao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Control Volume posted:

The TMP was good?? I always just kept it around so I wouldnt have to waste my handgun bullets on environmental stuff

Fully upgraded it does 1.8 damage every .10 seconds and has a 250 round capacity

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Toilet Princess.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i rarely ever use submachine guns in resident evil games, but i still want the calico m100 dualies from code veronica to return

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Good luck, SaGa bosses don't gently caress around.

Done!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I never really played the Saga games but they sound crazy from the way y'all are describing them. Is Romancing Saga 2 a good place to start? What makes it cool?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

goferchan posted:

I never really played the Saga games but they sound crazy from the way y'all are describing them. Is Romancing Saga 2 a good place to start? What makes it cool?

If you have any nostalgia for the 16-bit Final Fantasy games Romancing SaGa is cool because it's very similar visually but very different mechanically. The battle system is really tense and forces you to put some thought and effort into random encounters or you can get messed up. RS2 has a bonkers plot where you play multiple generations of characters and if you die you just pick right up again as your heir. Oh and your main character is always the emperor so shops list prices but don't charge you money. Instead of paying 3000 gp for a sword you pay a guy 300,000 gp to invent a better type of sword that your descendants can buy fifty years later.

RS3 is much more conventional plot wise (albeit still completely non-linear) but really good, I hope it gets an official localization someday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive never played any either but as always reading about them on HG101 makes them sound sick http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/saga/saga.htm maybe i will play these over winter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

but tonight i found out Parasite Eve is based on a book and there was a movie adaptation that came out around the same time as the game so Im gonna watch that out of curiosity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

I guess I could write a thing about it.

So back in the 80s one of Square's game directors decided that console rpgs were becoming too linear and scripted, and Saga is the result of an attempt to try and keep the open nature of oldschool CRPGs in a console RPG setting. They were inspired by stuff like Ultima, where you're basically just exploring the world and a lot of stuff has nothing to do with the main conflict. The main director of all the Saga games always says his favorite game ever is Ultima 4, because the game is more about exploring and dealing with the systems than a single, overarching plot. In Ultima 4 you can get to the final boss in lots of ways, and there's a lot of stuff you can skip or miss, and you can basically do the whole thing in any order you like. You can develop your character however you want. The Ultima series was a big hit in Japan, and is the basis for a lot of the Saga series. FF2, with its strange leveling system, was the first attempt to accomplish this, and then after some time working on handheld stuff (The Final Fantasy Legend games were called SaGa in Japan) he got the chance to make a followup with Romancing SaGa.

Once you understand that they're trying to sort of be Western RPGs a lot of stuff makes sense. In RS1 you can pick from a bunch of different characters to start off, and you can travel anywhere in the world from the start, more or less. You can just get on a boat and go find some quests to do. Eventually, you get strong, fight a big evil god or whatever, and you win. It still has Final Fantasy combat, and the writing isn't amazing, but it's completely open in a way that very few console rpgs were at the time. There was a downside, though: to accommodate the nonlinear world, they did the same thing Bethesda did, and put in level scaling, and just like in a Bethesda game if you end up leveling up a stat that's worthless you end up outclassed by everything and then the final boss kills you forever. RS1 is super dated, but it was a hit, and so they let Kawazu basically do whatever the hell he wanted for a while and he made Romancing SaGa 2. If you're curious, there's a PS2 remake which is super good, and includes a bunch of the systems from later games in addition to more quests, more stuff to do, and some fantastic music. Also, tutorials!

RS2 is even more experimental, in that it doesn't even have characters, really; it's about building an empire, and the sidequests can be completed not just in any order, but by any person in the dynasty; as you finish them, the regions join your empire and you can recruit new types of characters from the residents. It's loving weird but you can sort of see what it's trying to do, and also how it's again an attempt to sort of replicate the weird 1980s era of CRPGs where characters died all the time and it didn't matter at all because the player's resources were still increasing. If Dongs the Bard dies in Bard's Tale you just make another Bard and you give him all the old bard's equipment, right?

RS3 goes back to the more traditional party-based rpg concept, with specific named characters and backstories, but it's still pretty cool and has a lot of freedom and genuinely some of the most amazing art you'll ever see on a 16-bit console. Sadly the fan translation is... not great. But it's basically from the height of the series, when it was getting funding and dev time equivalent to the actual Final Fantasy games, and it shows.

Then there's SaGa Frontier, which is from that time when every PS1 Square project was getting its funding slashed so they could pay for Final Fantasy. Xenogears got the floating chair, and Frontier got a bunch of cuts to its plot and as a result is very weird and disjointed, but it is also completely insane and has robots, Manhattan, shape-shifting monsters, the CIA, vampires, and a bunch of other crazy poo poo. If you played FFL you'll remember some of this stuff, but I guarantee it is crazier here. One of the party members is literally just a car. Again, you get to pick from a bunch of protagonists with different mechanics and storylines, with varying degrees of quality and completion. Don't be Riki. Be a cool robot or something.

SF2 is a big homage to RS2 and has a cool emperor, a massive plot spanning a century of history, and is both more traditional and more bizarre than the previous games. It's got a pretty normal JRPG plot, involving an ancient relic and warfare and stuff, and the plot is completely linear... but your experience of it is not. You get presented with a world map and it's got all these scenarios and dates, and they unlock other ones, and you see stuff in order of difficulty rather than in order of when stuff actually happened. It's weird.

After that you get the PS2 Romancing Saga, which is cool, Unlimited Saga which is loving crazy and impenetrable, a couple DS remakes of the Final Fantasy Legend games which try to make them more like the later Saga games (there's fan translations of 2 and 3!), The Last Remnant, and then recently there was a vita game we'll never get to play. Also many, many mobile and facebook games which will never ever be localized.

RS2 is like, the most famous one of all in Japan (thus being ported to everything) but I wouldn't say it's the best one to start with. It doesn't explain anything at all. You can give it a try though, it's definitely cool; just accept you may get to the end and be unable to ever beat the final boss. If you have a way to play PS1 or PS2 games though, starting with one of those would be better. Except for Unlimited Saga.

e: pretty much every weird thing from Unlimited Saga makes sense once you understand how much Kawazu loves 80s dos RPGs. It even has a random roll to see if you unlock stuff!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 21, 2017

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Isn't that one gun the Red9 which is the sickest gun of all time, perhaps even sicker than a TMP.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Red9 is fully sick. A fully upgraded Red9 does like three times as much damage per shot as a fully upgraded TMP. It does almost as much damage as an un-upgraded Striker which is the best shotgun in the game.

The TMP is really good but a playstyle thing, I never use it. I use the bolt action rifle a lot because if you fully upgrade it it is twice as powerful as the other rifle and it is one of the coolest feeling guns I've ever used in a video game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I guess I could write a thing about it.

So back in the 80s one of Square's game directors decided that console rpgs were becoming too linear and scripted, and Saga is the result of an attempt to try and keep the open nature of oldschool CRPGs in a console RPG setting. They were inspired by stuff like Ultima, where you're basically just exploring the world and a lot of stuff has nothing to do with the main conflict. The main director of all the Saga games always says his favorite game ever is Ultima 4, because the game is more about exploring and dealing with the systems than a single, overarching plot. In Ultima 4 you can get to the final boss in lots of ways, and there's a lot of stuff you can skip or miss, and you can basically do the whole thing in any order you like. You can develop your character however you want. The Ultima series was a big hit in Japan, and is the basis for a lot of the Saga series. FF2, with its strange leveling system, was the first attempt to accomplish this, and then after some time working on handheld stuff (The Final Fantasy Legend games were called SaGa in Japan) he got the chance to make a followup with Romancing SaGa.

Once you understand that they're trying to sort of be Western RPGs a lot of stuff makes sense. In RS1 you can pick from a bunch of different characters to start off, and you can travel anywhere in the world from the start, more or less. You can just get on a boat and go find some quests to do. Eventually, you get strong, fight a big evil god or whatever, and you win. It still has Final Fantasy combat, and the writing isn't amazing, but it's completely open in a way that very few console rpgs were at the time. There was a downside, though: to accommodate the nonlinear world, they did the same thing Bethesda did, and put in level scaling, and just like in a Bethesda game if you end up leveling up a stat that's worthless you end up outclassed by everything and then the final boss kills you forever. RS1 is super dated, but it was a hit, and so they let Kawazu basically do whatever the hell he wanted for a while and he made Romancing SaGa 2. If you're curious, there's a PS2 remake which is super good, and includes a bunch of the systems from later games in addition to more quests, more stuff to do, and some fantastic music. Also, tutorials!

RS2 is even more experimental, in that it doesn't even have characters, really; it's about building an empire, and the sidequests can be completed not just in any order, but by any person in the dynasty; as you finish them, the regions join your empire and you can recruit new types of characters from the residents. It's loving weird but you can sort of see what it's trying to do, and also how it's again an attempt to sort of replicate the weird 1980s era of CRPGs where characters died all the time and it didn't matter at all because the player's resources were still increasing. If Dongs the Bard dies in Bard's Tale you just make another Bard and you give him all the old bard's equipment, right?

RS3 goes back to the more traditional party-based rpg concept, with specific named characters and backstories, but it's still pretty cool and has a lot of freedom and genuinely some of the most amazing art you'll ever see on a 16-bit console. Sadly the fan translation is... not great. But it's basically from the height of the series, when it was getting funding and dev time equivalent to the actual Final Fantasy games, and it shows.

Then there's SaGa Frontier, which is from that time when every PS1 Square project was getting its funding slashed so they could pay for Final Fantasy. Xenogears got the floating chair, and Frontier got a bunch of cuts to its plot and as a result is very weird and disjointed, but it is also completely insane and has robots, Manhattan, shape-shifting monsters, the CIA, vampires, and a bunch of other crazy poo poo. If you played FFL you'll remember some of this stuff, but I guarantee it is crazier here. One of the party members is literally just a car. Again, you get to pick from a bunch of protagonists with different mechanics and storylines, with varying degrees of quality and completion. Don't be Riki. Be a cool robot or something.

SF2 is a big homage to RS2 and has a cool emperor, a massive plot spanning a century of history, and is both more traditional and more bizarre than the previous games. It's got a pretty normal JRPG plot, involving an ancient relic and warfare and stuff, and the plot is completely linear... but your experience of it is not. You get presented with a world map and it's got all these scenarios and dates, and they unlock other ones, and you see stuff in order of difficulty rather than in order of when stuff actually happened. It's weird.

After that you get the PS2 Romancing Saga, which is cool, Unlimited Saga which is loving crazy and impenetrable, a couple DS remakes of the Final Fantasy Legend games which try to make them more like the later Saga games (there's fan translations of 2 and 3!), The Last Remnant, and then recently there was a vita game we'll never get to play. Also many, many mobile and facebook games which will never ever be localized.

RS2 is like, the most famous one of all in Japan (thus being ported to everything) but I wouldn't say it's the best one to start with. It doesn't explain anything at all. You can give it a try though, it's definitely cool; just accept you may get to the end and be unable to ever beat the final boss. If you have a way to play PS1 or PS2 games though, starting with one of those would be better. Except for Unlimited Saga.

e: pretty much every weird thing from Unlimited Saga makes sense once you understand how much Kawazu loves 80s dos RPGs. It even has a random roll to see if you unlock stuff!

Good post. I knew a guy who was a big saga frontier 2 fan because (I think) the main character is completely immune to magic so everyone else has to deal with complex magic attacks, buffs debuffs etc and he just wanders about hitting everything with a big sword and laughing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat thanks for the good write up that's definitely what I needed to hear. Can't believe I forgot to check my favorite website Hardcore Gaming 101 , either ... I'll probably check out RS2 just because it's cheap & on Switch but I'll emulate the PSX ones soon.

And yeah I have very vague memories of playing one of the Final Fantasy Legend games as a kid. You have a really strong guy in your party who leaves after the first boss fight and you can eat meat to turn into a mutant is all I remember

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the Red9 was my favorite gun in the game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
SaGa

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm playing FF12 IZJS and I think I mite have hosed up my builds because I don't have any offensive casters other than Ashe (Hunter/Knight/Machinist/Archer/Red Mage/White Mage)

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

probably finish up bioshock and start bioshock 2. i only played 2 once and im looking forward playing it again.

I'll end up playing infinite after that but God that game stinks

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'm playing FF12 IZJS and I think I mite have hosed up my builds because I don't have any offensive casters other than Ashe (Hunter/Knight/Machinist/Archer/Red Mage/White Mage)

I wouldnt worry about it too much, all the classes are fairly well balanced for the main story. Tbh the game would probably be less fun if you looked things up in advance and tried to go for an optimal party setup or w/e

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

You get to pick a second job for everyone after Raithwall, and, honestly, before that you really don't need offensive magic that much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

You get to pick a second job for everyone after Raithwall, and, honestly, before that you really don't need offensive magic that much.

does that apply for the ps2 version cause that's the one i'm playing lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

does that apply for the ps2 version cause that's the one i'm playing lol

Ah. No, it's just the PS4 one. You're stuck with it, yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone got a 1.01 update :staredog: no idea what's in it though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone got a 1.01 update :staredog: no idea what's in it though

it supports 4k now, also theres a new dlc that has 2 new songs, 2 new outfits, and a fun photo mode

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i have no idea how to access the new photo mode

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010