Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm trying to build a half decent drop deck for CW out of my current mechs. Here's what I've got to work with.

Lights: Panther (10k, 8Z, 9R); Raven (3L)

Mediums: Cicada (2A, 3F Non-elite); Centurian (AH Non-elite); Hunchback (4G, 4J, Grid Iron, 4P, SP); Crab (20, 27B, 27SL); Griffon (2N non-elite)

Heavies: Rifleman (3N, 3C, 5D); Cataphract (0XP, 3D(c), Ilya Muromets)

Assaults: Stalker (3F(c), 4N, Misery); Atlas (S, D-DC, Boar's Head)

My current thought is that I should go with the Panther 10K (2 ERPPC's), Crab 27B (3 Er Larges), Rifleman 5D (2 PPC's, 6 Medium lasers) and Atlas Boar's Head (3 LPL's, AC/20).

Range for the first three (and yes, the Rifleman does a lot of work for me), and the Boar's head if they've broken through and we need a brawler. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Talmonis posted:

I'm trying to build a half decent drop deck for CW out of my current mechs. Here's what I've got to work with.

Lights: Panther (10k, 8Z, 9R); Raven (3L)

Mediums: Cicada (2A, 3F Non-elite); Centurian (AH Non-elite); Hunchback (4G, 4J, Grid Iron, 4P, SP); Crab (20, 27B, 27SL); Griffon (2N non-elite)

Heavies: Rifleman (3N, 3C, 5D); Cataphract (0XP, 3D(c), Ilya Muromets)

Assaults: Stalker (3F(c), 4N, Misery); Atlas (S, D-DC, Boar's Head)

My current thought is that I should go with the Panther 10K (2 ERPPC's), Crab 27B (3 Er Larges), Rifleman 5D (2 PPC's, 6 Medium lasers) and Atlas Boar's Head (3 LPL's, AC/20).

Range for the first three (and yes, the Rifleman does a lot of work for me), and the Boar's head if they've broken through and we need a brawler. Any suggestions?

-4N with 6LL has always done hella work in CW. it might be worth trying to fit it in there

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The 4N will murder people in CW. It is a good robot to have. I'd pick either a 4N or a Ghost Dad depending on the map.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
If your Boar's Head has an XL, don't bring it. The DDC with AC/20 and SRM 6's will do far more work for you. The DDC is a better choice usually even if your BH isn't using an XL. You can hide around corners or ECM shield other assualts. For IS, you typically want to be a bit more on the brawly side, rather than peak and pokey.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bog, canyon, etc also actually give some value to having jump jets. They aren't flat required on those maps, but it's a nice standard of living improvement as well as giving you a lot more options on how to get from point A to B. Compare that with some of the flatter maps like Polar or even Grim Plexus. JJs on those are just wasted tonnage. I'm not saying every map needs to be that way, but having a few in the mix that are JJ friendly is a good thing.

Also, yeah, bog has improved a lot. I haven't rage quit because an assault got stuck in terrain in almost a year.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Agree with what The Repo Man said on the Atlas. You could potentially use the the S variant as well. You'll gain an extra slot for an SRM 6 and move the Medium lasers to CT. Works as a very effective brawler. ~81 alpha is not to be underestimated. A Stalker 4N with 6 large lasers is also a great mech on CW maps. Engagement ranges tend to be higher in CW, so having something with some reach is a good call.

Might be worth picking up a firestarter on the cheap. Solid mech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I have a story from last night

A guy on our team was raging in chat after dying about another player cheating

we asked him what the dude did to cheat

he said "He cored me CT while I was running 137 kph"

the raging guy was in PL

least shocking thing ever

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just did my first pub scouting mission. It lasted about one minute.

Highlight was four clanners (Streakcrow x3 + a Jenner II) swarming us and a teammate's Hunchback-4SP literally running around not firing as if it were a chicken with its head cut off.

New rule: only doing CW with goons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Finally stopped waffling and sold my Timberwolf Prime and turned the money into a Locust-1V LPL gun.

Just had a Tourmaline Desert Capture match where I cored a mauler's butt solo (with the rest of the team attacking from the front) shot the butt off of a commando, and finished the match by shooting a lone mist lynx in the butt twice before he could turn around (with tons of other butt shots but those are my actual kill claims for that match.)

Locusts are fun.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Why would you sell a TBR for a LCT? The locust is so cheap to put together, it seems like a real bad trade off. Are you hurting for Mechbays?

Ive got 13 million I'm squatting on. Don't know if I wanna basic a second SHC. Or buy something dumb like the Summoner. I'm leaning towards the summoner and trying stupid builds on it.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

So I'm guessing the ban wave for cheaters hasn't been done yet? I can't find any articles or releases about it having been done.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HexDog posted:

So I'm guessing the ban wave for cheaters hasn't been done yet? I can't find any articles or releases about it having been done.

After claiming they had huge lists of cheaters, Russ backed down and now claims nobody is cheating.

Nobody has been banned.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Russ just didn't want to halve their userbase by banning the 100 people on his cheater list.

I'm still pissed that Russ basically admitted the reason we can't get hot pink in the game is homophobia.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm still pissed that Russ basically admitted the reason we can't get hot pink in the game is homophobia.

Agreed. This is also why a good half of my mechs are painted Marik Purple. Which is Fuschia as far as I can tell.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

We should probably cull the people who don't play ever

Why? We'd still be over the threshold. Don't worry about poo poo that doesn't directly concern you.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So what can i do with mercenary reputation or loyalist points?

Took a few months break, now trying to decided what to do in current faction war...
I like clan robots, but dont want to be exclusively tied to them cause i also like the spherebots.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So what can i do with mercenary reputation or loyalist points?

Took a few months break, now trying to decided what to do in current faction war...
I like clan robots, but dont want to be exclusively tied to them cause i also like the spherebots.

they get you rewards at different levels -- things like c-bills or cockpit items, but also MC or 'Mech bays.

merc rank 1 is a free mech bay which is p. nice

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ah, but mercs must be in a unit and this puts you in the premade queue i guess?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait, like recently? JFC

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, like recently? JFC

In the last town hall, he said something about how MWO is a super serious game, and pink isn't serious.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

In the last town hall, he said something about how MWO is a super serious game, and pink isn't serious.

Guess Rhonda Snord isn't serious.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
it's a super-weird rationale because there are several colors in the game that are basically pink already, and as mentioned above the Heavy Metal is a) pink and b) plays Elvis songs when you kill someone

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

UrbanMech bobbleheads and Christmas cockpit decorations are super serious indeed.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All the different war horns tell me this is a serious game for serious people.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

Guess Rhonda Snord isn't serious.

tbf, none of the canon lore should be considered "serious".

On top of that, no e-game should be considered "serious" unless you will physically die/get injured if you lose. And if that does happen, I will laugh my rear end off at the series of poor life choices that got that person there.

It will be a very "not serious" laugh.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
The scout mode has really increased my enjoyment of the game on the whole. It seems to have brought a bunch of IS mediums out of storage and into game play which is great. Running around with Hunchbacks and Centurions makes a small nostalgia tear well up and run down my cheek.

If you're lurking in the thread and haven't played in a while I would encourage you to give it a go.The matches are fast and generally pretty brutal and as always pubbies are pubbies.

I'm not sure how much value it adds to the invasion mode, the Long Tom from some videos looks hilariously broken but it appears to require a lot of steam rolling and a lot of games to get it. That isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

On a game of defense on Caldera we had killed all of the enemy but one with 30 seconds left on the clock before the Dropship leaves. We're camped around and in the square. We're trying to tank the Dropship and stay up while looking for the last mech that we never saw. With ~15 seconds left this Panther comes hauling rear end out of cover for the square. Everyone swarmss him and I'm in the drop zone with my BlackJack trying to LL him in the legs, we manage to drop him meters from hitting the edge of the dz and escaping. Same thing happened with a Spider but he was able to get into the square at the last second and we lost.

Running three mediums and a light like an Oxide seemed to work pretty well, if you're attacking swapping a medium for a Firestarter gave us enough speed to grab without sacrificing firepower.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

armchairyoda posted:

tbf, none of the canon lore should be considered "serious".

On top of that, no e-game should be considered "serious" unless you will physically die/get injured if you lose. And if that does happen, I will laugh my rear end off at the series of poor life choices that got that person there.

It will be a very "not serious" laugh.

It's not a frivolous e-game, it's an e-sport. :colbert:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Super 3 posted:

The scout mode has really increased my enjoyment of the game on the whole. It seems to have brought a bunch of IS mediums out of storage and into game play which is great. Running around with Hunchbacks and Centurions makes a small nostalgia tear well up and run down my cheek.

If you're lurking in the thread and haven't played in a while I would encourage you to give it a go.The matches are fast and generally pretty brutal and as always pubbies are pubbies.

I'm not sure how much value it adds to the invasion mode, the Long Tom from some videos looks hilariously broken but it appears to require a lot of steam rolling and a lot of games to get it. That isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

On a game of defense on Caldera we had killed all of the enemy but one with 30 seconds left on the clock before the Dropship leaves. We're camped around and in the square. We're trying to tank the Dropship and stay up while looking for the last mech that we never saw. With ~15 seconds left this Panther comes hauling rear end out of cover for the square. Everyone swarmss him and I'm in the drop zone with my BlackJack trying to LL him in the legs, we manage to drop him meters from hitting the edge of the dz and escaping. Same thing happened with a Spider but he was able to get into the square at the last second and we lost.

Running three mediums and a light like an Oxide seemed to work pretty well, if you're attacking swapping a medium for a Firestarter gave us enough speed to grab without sacrificing firepower.

QFT

with only four mechs maximum firing at you, and considering that the brawls are fast and hectic, you can make all kinds of poo poo work

SRM4/AC10 Shadow Hawks, Shotgun Hobo Centurions, brawler Hunchbacks, those old-school godhand Wolverines, the dakka Enforcer

seriously it's good poo poo

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

QFT

with only four mechs maximum firing at you, and considering that the brawls are fast and hectic, you can make all kinds of poo poo work

SRM4/AC10 Shadow Hawks, Shotgun Hobo Centurions, brawler Hunchbacks, those old-school godhand Wolverines, the dakka Enforcer

Agreed. The Hunchback 4G can make you feel like a wolf among lambs....until that timer starts and you're in the middle of the map with a half broken leg. Suddenly your victory dance is less impressive as you stumble at 76kph towards an objective you'll never reach in time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I guess I'll have to join the Goon unit to try out the fancy Scouting mode then. You don't get any matches at all as a Freelancer. You can only answer urgent requests for aid, and I have seen literally zero since the patch.

Is the Goon unit a merc unit or are we loyal to something? I assume we're still IS. If I didn't hate having to spend billions of C-Bills on engines, I'd play IS all the time. I love me some autocannons.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

WOL and GIRL are both Merc units attached to Liao.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

QFT

I am using a VND-1X in scout mode and murdering the poo poo out of people with it. Apparently putting an LBX on the thing turned it into a light-hunter. The -1R is even pretty decent with 2 LL and 3 MLs, I can usually hit 400+ dmg and some kills in pub drops. I did about 1200 with 1AA with a PPC of all things defending on sulpherous rift. I think everyone just kind of ignores me because lol vindicator.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'd like to bring my 3 man team on some CW drops if people are organizing something this week. Would it be OK to give them the mumble info? Some of ya'll have dropped with DwarfInDrag and Thunderchild with me I'm sure.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Talmonis posted:

I'd like to bring my 3 man team on some CW drops if people are organizing something this week. Would it be OK to give them the mumble info? Some of ya'll have dropped with DwarfInDrag and Thunderchild with me I'm sure.

nobody cares about mumble OPSEC. we were just asked not to put it in the OP. go ahead.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I will say that the gold standard right now is definitely two BJ-1Xs and two GRF-2N

the BJ-3 and GRF-3M are probably better in the public queue, but you won't get to use the BJ-3's range as much and the -3M's skill at killing heavies and assaults doesn't apply

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

taqueso posted:

Wow I totally missed that. Guess I better tell my giant purple Atlas to get serious.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Which clan heavy should I buy. I have all the good ones, which leaves me looking at...

Summoner
Mad Dog
Orion IIC

Which can make a better gimmick build to putz around in?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I will say that the gold standard right now is definitely two BJ-1Xs and two GRF-2N

the BJ-3 and GRF-3M are probably better in the public queue, but you won't get to use the BJ-3's range as much and the -3M's skill at killing heavies and assaults doesn't apply

I still feel like throwing in an Oxide or two is win in just about any situation. Having two tanky mediums to face hug the enemy then the Oxidies harvest butt meat all day.

Playing against clans is interesting as they're still for the most part dumb and load up with Streak Crows. You can generally leg them before they kill anyone since the streaks are all going to be hitting your CT. I feel like the only viable clan options are Stormcrows and Arctic cheaters at this point. Everything else gets stomped on hard by IS quirks.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Wow I totally missed that. Guess I better tell my giant purple Atlas to get serious.

Marik Violet is in the game, and it is as pink as you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Super 3 posted:

I still feel like throwing in an Oxide or two is win in just about any situation. Having two tanky mediums to face hug the enemy then the Oxidies harvest butt meat all day.

Playing against clans is interesting as they're still for the most part dumb and load up with Streak Crows. You can generally leg them before they kill anyone since the streaks are all going to be hitting your CT. I feel like the only viable clan options are Stormcrows and Arctic cheaters at this point. Everything else gets stomped on hard by IS quirks.

What about the Jenner IICs? Presumably they'd be alright if the IS Jenners are.

• Locked thread